Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eating advice

daviddsims

What do you eat when you're not eating healthy?  If you're going to sustain a healthy diet you still have to eat what you enjoy.  The obvious starting point is to learn how to make small, healthy adjustments to reduce the impact of the less-than-healthy things you love and start accruing a collection of go-to recipe sources (websites, cookbooks, etc.).  Be adventurous when you're in the mood to try and cook something up and try and develop a rotation of good, quick meals you can make as well as fast food or carry out options that aren't totally a betrayal of your efforts.

Just pretty much eating out at fast food joints. I know my biggest weakness is not wanting to cook after a long day at work. I just need to invest in cookbooks and quick healthy meal ideas. Some ideas suggested are very good starting points.

Just pretty much eating out at fast food joints. I know my biggest weakness is not wanting to cook after a long day at work. I just need to invest in cookbooks and quick healthy meal ideas. Some ideas suggested are very good starting points.

crock pot.  Leave the house in the morning, set it on low and you're all done by the time you get home.  I usually do some chicken breasts in there.

I'd also recommend meal prepping.  I typically use Sundays to cook a bunch of chicken, meat patties, etc., boil eggs, as well as wash, cut up & cook vegetables and fruit.  That way it's really easy for me to have a healthy dinner when I get home:  I just heat up whatever I want or throw prewashed veggies into a bowl for a salad.  That's helped me immensely as I hate doing anything that requires skill and/or brain power when I get home from work.

Do you even listen to yourself?  Honestly, the way you said all that makes it sound like if you don't already have a serious problem you've at least got some budding eating disorder or body dysmorphia.

Yea I know I have a disorder but I have no other options. It has to be this way and once you hit the goal then you just start eating strictly healthy foods and continue to work out. I know it is bad because it is similar to this medical diet where you had to go get blood tests every week to make sure that you would not kill yourself from malnutrition. But I just need to drop another 10 so I'm almost there. And deep down I feel that I needed to do this there really was no other way.

This is awful advice.  Holy ****.

Adderall XR is a HIGHLY addictive AMPHETAMINE.  It's a schedule II drug that you need a doctor's prescription for to treat ADHD and narcolepsy.  You don't tell people to take it to lose weight!  Unbelievable.

The last sentence of my post telling people to get it was a joke because I know that it can mess people up. I was giving my personal routine that helps me stay on a healthy weight track. For me that is one of the well known side effects of Adderall the not wanting to eat thing and I just view that as a positive side effect for me personally so it makes me want to take it everyday. Back in Highschool I hated taking it because it makes you feel weird and be shy so I never took it. Then when I got to college and I needed to take it to pay attention in class I discovered that I didn't want to eat as much which was awesome because I was severly overweight. So it was really a blessing it helped me lose 75 pounds in 6 months and I was exercising 1 hour a day 5 days a week and eating 1 healthy meal a day so it was not like I was completely destroying myself. It also helps me stay on task in the classroom so I can do well on my assignments. So for me it really helps me a lot. And I do not think it is addicting but that might be because I need it and it is prescribed compared to someone who does not need it. I went 2 years without taking it when I was trying to get into the Army because they won't take you if you are on it and I had no problem not taking it. I was not like the cookie monster or anything.

I hope that was a joke post.

Hey guys, I hear if you smoke this wonder drug you'll lose insane amounts of weight. It's called crack. It also has a wonderful cousin called crystal meth. The crystal keeps you awake for days though so you have to keep smoking it or you sleep for AGES!

Hopefully my follow up posts cleared this up but I really hope you don't think that Adderall and crack are the same thing but I see the joke that you are trying to make and it is funny.

Also if it makes you feel better I keep my stuff locked in a container and don't tell anyone that I have it and if people know I have it I refuse to give it to them because its a big time felony. I guess my eating disorder/ trying to be a funny guy/ pretending like being able to lose wight fast made me super cool, did not come off as intended.

Yea I know I have a disorder but I have no other options. It has to be this way and once you hit the goal then you just start eating strictly healthy foods and continue to work out. I know it is bad because it is similar to this medical diet where you had to go get blood tests every week to make sure that you would not kill yourself from malnutrition. But I just need to drop another 10 so I'm almost there. And deep down I feel that I needed to do this there really was no other way.

Doesn't take long to drop 10 pounds through normal means.  Can do it in about a month easily.  Speeding up the process nominally at great personal risk is still awfully stupid.

Doesn't take long to drop 10 pounds through normal means.  Can do it in about a month easily.  Speeding up the process nominally at great personal risk is still awfully stupid.

Basically I put on 80 pounds over the course of 2 years in a major depression because I flunked out of school at first. but I was able to turn my life around. 7 months ago I found out that I was going to Arkansas to finish my degree and I would not have to settle with just a community college degree. I was so happy I turned around my whole life I thought it was over for me and then I had this huge opportunity! The only problem was that I looked like a fat slob and I did not want to risk potentially  missing out on meeting people and not feeling good and confident about myself. I did not want to have to be self conscious everyday when I walked outside, and there was hardly any time left to lose all that weight. I just had to do drastic measures I didn't think I had a choice.

Just a sidenote:  I definitely wouldn't recommend skipping breakfast if you are wanting to keep your metabolism going strong.  Skipping the most important meal of the day actually slows your metabolism down. 

I highly suggest you read up on intermittent fasting.

The science behind it makes sense, in particular with hormone responses earlier in the day compared to later in the day.

It has had tremendous benefits for me since I started doing it 

The science behind it makes sense, in particular with hormone responses earlier in the day compared to later in the day.

Glad to hear it has worked for you :)

I have read several studies about its beneficial effects particularly on insulin sensitivity.  Not so sure if many of the results can't be attributed to overall caloric restriction and deficit.  Personally, I wouldn't even consider it for myself due to my fitness/weight training regimen.  

The reason I wouldn't recommend it out of the gate for others is because it can be a potentially dangerous eating pattern for an individual with an underlying medical condition (diabetes, hypoglycemia, etc.).  Additionally, the average person is not going to stick with this type of eating pattern.  The whole foundation of a successful "diet" is to make it "doable" in daily life.  I have never found any type of fasting regimen something an average person will stick with.

Skipping breakfast isn't intermittent fasting.

Actually, in IF there are a few ways it can be done.  

The one SHF is doing is keeping all caloric intake within an 8 hour time span with 16 hrs fasting each 24 day cycle.  Another way to do it that most people are familiar with is maintaining a "normal" eating routine then doing a 24 hour fast every couple days.

Actually, in IF there are a few ways it can be done.  

The one SHF is doing is keeping all caloric intake within an 8 hour time span with 16 hrs fasting each 24 day cycle.  Another way to do it that most people are familiar with is maintaining a "normal" eating routine then doing a 24 hour fast every couple days.

Yes!

And I agree it isn't for everyone, in particular if you aren't already in reasonably good shape. 

A big part of it relies on your macro-nutrient in take. I also make Saturday a cheat day where I eat whatever the hell I want

Just a sidenote:  I definitely wouldn't recommend skipping breakfast if you are wanting to keep your metabolism going strong.  Skipping the most important meal of the day actually slows your metabolism down. 

I'd agree with this. I thought you went Veggie a while back?

I think I'm going Veggie again after killing these pigs for the roast this week. Besides, meat doesn't make my system run as well as it can.

I'd agree with this. I thought you went Veggie a while back?

I think I'm going Veggie again after killing these pigs for the roast this week. Besides, meat doesn't make my system run as well as it can.

Yeah, that lasted about a month, haha!

Can't give up my filet mignon and chicken breasts, I just can't.  Also, I'm weight training pretty heavily and doing CrossFit these days and I have a hard time getting enough protein in each day even with eating meat.

I honestly have a hard time believing how healthy everybody seems to eat.... by comparison, i am a troglodite.

Yesterday, my breakfast was eggs and cheese and ham on a bagel.... followed by a danish, and then some pumpkin pie with ice cream.  I didn't have lunch, because i was at the movie theater watching the hobbit... so i ate a bunch of candy and chocolate instead.  I came home and had 2 grilled cheese sandwiches, some leftover pizza and tomato soup around 430 pm.   at around 630 we had spagetti and meatballs for dinner, with garlic bread, and then some ice cream with butter-caramel and whipped cream.  And then i had a bunch cheese and crackers and chips... while i watched tv before bed.   ..... and i snack...alll....day.... long.....

am i really the only one?

I honestly have a hard time believing how healthy everybody seems to eat.... by comparison, i am a troglodite.

Yesterday, my breakfast was eggs and cheese and ham on a bagel.... followed by a danish, and then some pumpkin pie with ice cream.  I didn't have lunch, because i was at the movie theater watching the hobbit... so i ate a bunch of candy and chocolate instead.  I came home and had 2 grilled cheese sandwiches, some leftover pizza and tomato soup around 430 pm.   at around 630 we had spagetti and meatballs for dinner, with garlic bread, and then some ice cream with butter-caramel and whipped cream.  And then i had a bunch cheese and crackers and chips... while i watched tv before bed.   ..... and i snack...alll....day.... long.....

am i really the only one?

If I'm home, I eat a lot of junk.  Though eating an egg beagle, a danish, and pie and ice cream for breakfast would be very extreme for me.

I have eaten a bag of little pepperiment paties over the last 2 days.

But on a normal work day, I don't eat like that.  Most work days, I'll do nothing until 9 am, then a piece fruit.  Salad, sandwich, and more fruit for lunch.

The comment about pasta earlier got my attention too.  I'm 41, and I'm not a big pasta eater because I don't like pasta very much, but I eat it regularly for dinner (once a week or more) because it is pretty quick and easy and my kids eat it (though we do eat the whole wheat stuff).

I'll pretty regularly have some sort of dessert.

I'm 215, but I'm also almost 6'6.

Go as close to paleo as you can. Not saying go full-on paleo ... but if you stick to that principal, you're golden. 

Emphasize: Grass fed beef/pork, free range chickens/eggs, unsalted nuts, fruits, veggies, coconut oil

Limit: Dairy, sugar, gluten

Lost a lot of weight doing that and have kept it off sticking to it with consistent exercise.

I am 6'2" (almost) and about 180 pounds.   To be fair, i have put on about 10 pounds since daylight savings time ended, by eating too much and not exercising much... but in the spring/summer/fall i always lose weight.

the morning gluttony is mostly restricted to sundays.   but i really do snack all the damned time... somebody put a bowl of lindor truffles outside my office this morning, and i think i have had at least 8 already :-s

Yeah, that lasted about a month, haha!

Can't give up my filet mignon and chicken breasts, I just can't.  Also, I'm weight training pretty heavily and doing CrossFit these days and I have a hard time getting enough protein in each day even with eating meat.

I'm about to start cross fit myself and am planning on going Veg again. We'll see how that goes. We're having a pig roast today and killing and preparing the pigs, just doesn't sit so well with me. There is a cool cross fit program here, where you paddle board to and from the gym.

One of the hardest things for me is reducing carbs for weight loss. I can eat two chicken breast and a vegetable plate and be starving less than an hour later. I know people say protein and fat are more filling but I find that not to be true with me. I consume 2100 calories a day and have my carb macros set to 30% and its torture if I get let than 50%.

Archived