Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BleacherReport: Did Washington Doom Itself by Going All-In on Robert Griffin III?

Alaskins

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1875617-did-washington-doom-themselves-by-going-all-in-on-rgiii

I found this article to have some facts to back up their statements.  In example:

The Grass Is Always Greener

What if Allen and Shanahan stayed put?

The Rams picked up defensive tackle Michael Brockers, cornerback Janoris Jenkins and (after another trade down) outside linebacker Alec Ogletree. Per Pro Football Focus (subscription required), all three have been the Rams' best-graded players at their positions.

Brockers' plus-1.9 is the only positive overall grade of the three—but they'd all be the best-graded players at their position in Washington's defense too (projecting Brockersto 3-4 DE and Ogletree to 3-4 ILB).

This is a huge "what-if" but insightful, nonetheless.

I for one think that the team did the right thing by trading for RG3.  I think that if we can surround him with the right talent, he is going to be great for a long long time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1875617-did-washington-doom-themselves-by-going-all-in-on-rgiii

I found this article to have some facts to back up their statements.  In example:

This is a huge "what-if" but insightful, nonetheless.

I for one think that the team did the right thing by trading for RG3.  I think that if we can surround him with the right talent, he is going to be great for a long long time.

A franchise QB is worth more than all of those players combined IMO. A team that hasn't fielded a franchise QB in 3 decades plus. I honestly feel like RG3 or Andrew Luck was a no brainer for the Redskins. If Bradford doesn't pan out for the Rams they might be the ones asking "what if".

Hail

So pretty much at this point, they're all average players or worse.

No regrets.

I also love how guy who passed on J.J Watt, traded a #2 pick when there were guys like Gronk and Navarro Bowman on the board, took Josh Leribeus over guys like Ty Hilton, took Jarvis Jenkins over a plethora of talented defensive players, etc etc, is supposed to make a mint with those picks we gave away.

15 TDs 11 INTs aren't "franchise QB" material.  Ratio should be closer to 3:1 or 4:1 aka Manning, Brees, Wilson

There once was a QB who threw for 2,843 yds, 18 TD, 12 INTs in his 2nd year on team and just so happened to lead them to a Superbowl victory that same year. His name? Tom Brady

There once was a QB who threw for 3,513 yds, 18 TDs, 23 INTs in his 3rd year on the team, and has won 2 Superbowls with his team. His name? Ben Roethlisberger.

Looking purely at stats, in a season with 1/4 still to go, for a 2nd year QB as a barometer for whether or not he is franchise material is just as asinine as the article in the OP trying to make a judgement on the trade just 1.5 years later. 

Oh, and there once was a QB who threw for 3,284 yds, 17 TDs, 16 INTs his 2nd year, and in 11 games his 3rd year 2,108 yds, 11 TDs, 15 INTs. So, according to you, he is not a franchise QB. Well, his name is Drew Brees, who you have listed as franchise QB. 

RG3 already is a franchise QB, which any person with a rational perspective knows.

So by your logic, RGIII was a franchise QB last year but not this year?

Boss  some people are not on here to make sense bro. They're here to just throw stuff out there regardless to whether its logical or not. They're looking for a reaction rather than a logical debate. :)

There once was a QB who threw for 2,843 yds, 18 TD, 12 INTs in his 2nd year on team and just so happened to lead them to a Superbowl victory that same year. His name? Tom Brady

There once was a QB who threw for 3,513 yds, 18 TDs, 23 INTs in his 3rd year on the team, and has won 2 Superbowls with his team. His name? Ben Roethlisberger.

Looking purely at stats, in a season with 1/4 still to go, for a 2nd year QB as a barometer for whether or not he is franchise material is just as asinine as the article in the OP trying to make a judgement on the trade just 1.5 years later. 

Oh, and there once was a QB who threw for 3,284 yds, 17 TDs, 16 INTs his 2nd year, and in 11 games his 3rd year 2,108 yds, 11 TDs, 15 INTs. So, according to you, he is not a franchise QB. Well, his name is Drew Brees, who you have listed as franchise QB. 

RG3 already is a franchise QB, which any person with a rational perspective knows.

This is one of the greatest replies i've read on ES. Spot on. GREAT POST

No regrets.

I also love how guy who passed on J.J Watt, traded a #2 pick when there were guys like Gronk and Navarro Bowman on the board, took Josh Leribeus over guys like Ty Hilton, took Jarvis Jenkins over a plethora of talented defensive players, etc etc, is supposed to make a mint with those picks we gave away.

Great point that nobody really talks about when discussing the Rams trade. We just know Shanahan would have used those picks instead of RG3 to stockpile the team with All Pros right? lol

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/11/14/the-eli-manning-mistake/?_r=0

Looked at the Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers draft day trade in 2006. Critical of trading those picks for Eli when they could have had Rivers for free. Said Rivers was already looking better than Eli. Comment section seemed 50/50.

Eli has won the big one, Rivers has never been. Rivers is a great QB, but Eli has won the big one.

Point being, you don't know what is going to happen and analyzing a trade as good or bad this soon is stupid, just as it was back then. San Diego was viewed as the winner, but now they are the loser.

No regrets.

Are you still harping about JJ Watt? How about employing the ACTUAL perspective on draft day? JJ Watt is an unknown quantity, Redskins have the opportunity to trade down and acquire more picks, so they do. Are you really going to slam the strategy of trading down? Not even the result, because that is an unknown, but the strategy itself of trading down. That was a move everyone agreed with on ES and analysts said was good as well. You're operating purely out of hindsight. 

You know, there's another team that could have had JJ Watt but passed. They took a solid pass rusher who had character issues and is now not playing due to those issues. Such a big mistake, they must not know how to draft. That team is the 49ers and they drafted Aldon Smith over JJ Watt. Fire that coach now!

Another team passed up Torrey SMith and Randall Cobb for a back-up, pass catching RB. Boy, what incompetence. Guess that means Belichick should be fired.

The Redskins traded down, got Kerrigan AND a 2nd round pick AND wisely passed on Gabbert. 

I love how a guy traded picks to land a phenom talent in RG3, found an elite RB in the 6th round, found a good RB in the 4th as well, found a TE in the 3rd who definitely has elite potential, got Amerson in the 2nd, Rambo in the 6th, Cousins in the 4th, Crawford in the 7th, and Paul, Robinson, and Neild in the 5th, 6th, and 7th respectively. Newsflash: EVERY coach and GM has misses in every draft, and have some picks that could have been made on better players. Nitpicking a couple missteps and flat out misrepresenting another like you continually do with Watt, doesn't negate the overall results that you choose to ignore.

While the trade for RG3 was a good one for us, we did trade future 1sts and a 2nd. 2010 we took Trent Williams 1st, 2011 we traded down and still got Kerrigan and picked up a 2nd as well and took Jarvis Jenkins. Injury and a weak overall DL have hampered him, jury is still out on him. Tore ACL before start of rookie season, was dealing with it for 2012, and this season missed first 4 games, but past couple games has created pressure and registered 1.5 sacks. 2012 we traded up for RG3, and 2013 we took Amerson in the 2nd. There's more good there than bad in the 1st and 2nd rounds, which suggests if we held on to the picks instead of traded the team would have made mostly good picks, not bad. 

However, you still make that trade because of how important a franchise QB is and because you don't know when another talent like that will come along or if you'll even be in a position again to get him.

Yep cuz this thread hasn't been made a 10000 times over.

Please read the OP and the linked article if you haven't already.  I know that this is a topic that is covered ad naseum in ES posts, but the article has some interesting insight such as the pass/run play stats as well as other items.  It's much more in depth than the usual BR junk.

The hypothetical draft of the Rams players on our team is interesting.  I too am in the camp with TRGE and Boss_Hog.  I for one think that Robert is a, strike that, OUR Franchise QB and while those Rams players are better than some of our guys at their positions,

a) There is no way to know how Shanny would have drafted, and 

B) I'D rather have a Franchise QB then a slightly better Defense

So, because Robert hasn't delivered a superbowl in Season 2, the Redskins are doomed?

Lets entertain the idea for a second that the 'Skins never make that trade, and end up drafting Russell Wilson.   What does Russell Wilson accomplished that RG3 hasn't, playing behind this O-line? Same with Luck......

Wilson was drafted onto a superbowl contender.  People ignore this when comparing the two QBs.  Wilson plays behind one of the best O-lines in all of the NFL.  Even with a couple starters out for a few games with injuries, the unit is solid.   

If Wilson was on this team in 2012 and performed the same way he had in Seattle, this team would not have won the division.  His performance would not have cut it.  He was not spectacular at all last season.  He had a very good final month of the season which really inflated his stats, but overall he was never doing stuff out there on the field to take over games the way Robert was.

The MMQB-ing is becoming truly absurd.

elkabong82,

Your post is outstanding.  It's simply too early to conclude that RG3 is not a franchise QB, especially after having such a great rookie season.

If he can learn the nuances of the QB position, stay healthy, and the FO can put better players (offense, defense, and special teams) around him, I believe multiple winning seasons still lay ahead.

I haven't given up on RG3.  Hopefully, he won't give up on the organization or the fans.

I can't believe that anyone thinks that RG3 is a franchise QB. I hope like hell he turns out to be one, but too many alarming factors....lack of consistent accuracy, can't see the field, holds tha ball and can't get off his first read. It was a huge gamble that should not have been made.

Archived