Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FN: Florida Republican Rep. Radel charged with cocaine possession in DC

The 12th Commandment

Saw this story about this guy on the news. He is sorry for getting caught.

Getting caught more than likely saved his life.

He's a Tea Party fave.  Unfortunately, he probably won't lose his job.

Anyone else would.  And be thrown in jail, and would probably end in financial ruin.

Not this guy.  He'll (somehow) get re-elected.  ^insert old "thud" smiley^

I find it fascinating that Americans (as a whole) appear to care a lot more about a Canadian mayor smoking crack than an American congressman snorting coke.

This guy needs to resign immediately.  And if he doesn't, Boehner needs to kick his ass out.  Just like he did for the guys who got caught up in infidelity scandals.

From the same article.  Not a huge legal deal apparently, but considering his job it's a big ethical deal IMO.

What's really really interesting about this case is Congressman Radel recently signed a zero tollerance drug law which would require folks on food stamps or federal housing projects to undergo drug testing and if found to have traces of illegal drugs in their systems would then loose their federal benifits....

I therefore think it's far we stop paying this congressmen and ask for all the money back he's recieved since his recent election..

I find it fascinating that Americans (as a whole) appear to care a lot more about a Canadian mayor smoking crack than an American congressman snorting coke..

Oh come on dude.   Rob Ford is infinitely more fascinating than Rep Radel...

Rep Radel is appologetic,  two faced,  contrite,  and generally seen to be doing the bare minimum of what he needs to do to survive..

which is what we all expect him to do..   Not the honorable thing but the apperance of the honorable thing...

Rob Ford,  on the other hand is not.   He's  mocking the folks in his ethics hearing pretending to be drunk driving,  knocking over elderly ladies.   using sexually explicite language to insult ladies..    Appearing at sporting events with a posse of supporters signing autographs and collecting cheers.    Rob Ford is more of an in your face... Yeah I did it....   I'd do it again.... and by the way... his public opinion polls are still strong.   Infinitely more facinating.

Oh come on dude.   Rob Ford is infinitely more fascinating than Rep Radel...

Rep Radel is appologetic,  two faced,  contrite,  and generally seen to be doing the bare minimum of what he needs to do to survive..

which is what we all expect him to do..   Not the honorable thing but the apperance of the honorable thing...

Rob Ford,  on the other hand is not.   He's  mocking the folks in his ethics hearing pretending to be drunk driving,  knocking over elderly ladies.   using sexually explicite language to insult ladies..    Appearing at sporting events with a posse of supporters signing autographs and collecting cheers.    Rob Ford is more of an in your face... Yeah I did it....   I'd do it again.... and by the way... his public opinion polls are still strong.   Infinitely more facinating.

I'm not saying I don't get that he's a more interesting character and a buffoon (even though I hadn't heard about half of the things you mention).  But even before that stuff happened, he was getting a lot of traction in the media just for smoking crack.  A congressman caught by the FBI buying coke, and with more in his house, is kind of a big deal.  Or should be.  But seems like it has gotten very little attention so far.

What i don't get is how it immediately doesn't result in his termination.

~Bang

That only happens in football, not govt... After all, it's important that people who play a kid's game for a living stay drug free, but not for a job as trivial as being an elected official. You can't expect John Boehner to be as much of a hardass as Roger Goodell

I'm not saying I don't get that he's a more interesting character and a buffoon (even though I hadn't heard about half of the things you mention).  But even before that stuff happened, he was getting a lot of traction in the media just for smoking crack.  A congressman caught by the FBI buying coke, and with more in his house, is kind of a big deal.  Or should be.  But seems like it has gotten very little attention so far.

There are 438 members of congress.  He is not a particularly significant one.   None of us had ever heard of him before, and there are always a couple of members of congress in hot water.

Hell, Alcee Hastings is still in Congress, and he is a flat out crook.

What i don't get is how it immediately doesn't result in his termination.

~Bang

Honest answer: because he is not an employee.  He is the elected representative of the citizens of Florida's 19th Congressional District.  In theory, booting him out disenfranchises those voters.  

That only happens in football, not govt... After all, it's important that people who play a kid's game for a living stay drug free, but not for a job as trivial as being an elected official. You can't expect John Boehner to be as much of a hardass as Roger Goodell

It happens in government.  Just not to elected officials.  

Believe me, people in government get fired all the time.  

Honest answer: because he is not an employee.  He is the elected representative of the citizens of Florida's 19th Congressional District.  In theory, booting him out disenfranchises those voters. 

Now, Congress can kick him out.  (Using, I think, whatever rules they chose to pass, for themselves.) 

(The only branch of government that has the authority to impeach themselves.) 

But, you think Congress is going to establish a precedent of forcing Members of Congress to obey the laws? 

Although, I do seem to recall it happening, during ABSCAM.  (Listening to a lot of whippersnappers saying "what?")  As I recall, Congress literally voted to ignore the election of a Congressman.  (Claiming that, when the voters voted for this person, the voters didn't know he was guilty, because he wasn't convicted till after the election.) 

Archived