Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FN: Florida Republican Rep. Radel charged with cocaine possession in DC

The 12th Commandment

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/19/florida-republican-rep-radel-charged-with-cocaine-possession-in-dc/?intcmp=latestnews

Republican Florida Rep. Trey Radel has been charged with misdemeanor cocaine possession in D.C., court records reveal.

Radel, a freshman congressman representing Florida’s 19th district in the southwest part of the state, was charged Tuesday with possession of a controlled substance. The alleged incident happened on Oct. 29.

Radel, 37, acknowledged the charge in a statement Tuesday, saying he struggles with alcoholism and the disease led him to make "an extremely irresponsible choice."

-continued at link

The cynic in me has a bigger problem with the fact he was stupid enough to get caught than the fact that he did a little blow. At least with respect to the intelligence necessary to do his job. 

I like how Boehner says in the article that "...members of congress should be held to the highest standard..." then says it's a matter for his family and constituents to deal with.  I get that ultimately it's the voters who will deal with this but as a member of the speaker's party you would expect a little more of a heavy hand. Maybe in private there was.

Agreed on the ridiculousness of the whole "Family and Constituents" thing. What happens to the average jerk who gets caught? Are there mandatory minimums in D.C.? I'm guessing not.

Well, the part of the article that the OP quoted said that it was misdemeanor possession. 

The maximum penalty for the charge Radel faces is 180 days of imprisonment and/or a fine of $1,000. The probe that led to the charge against Radel involved multiple law enforcement agencies, including the FBI.

From the same article.  Not a huge legal deal apparently, but considering his job it's a big ethical deal IMO.

I keep saying this but...

There should be a mandatory rule across federal and state law that any public official in a position of trust or authority, from police to politician, receives DBL the punishment for any crime committed. 

Here in FL they did mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients and if found to be using drugs they loose benefits. 

This POS should be terminated ASAP. 

Misdemeanor cocaine?

LOLOLOLOL

OK, so lets just say for ****s and grins that cocaine is not the extremely addictive potentially lethal drug that it is and...    aww hell, i can't even come up with any scenario in which this is 'small' 'minor' or OK.

You want to say you haven't done coke in 10 years OK, then you're a person who has changed.

But if you got busted with it this week? You have a problem, and if you think you don't.. well, tjhere's really no such thing as a casual coke user, no matter how much they'd like to tell themselves that is what they are.

~Bang

Agreed on the ridiculousness of the whole "Family and Constituents" thing. What happens to the average jerk who gets caught? Are there mandatory minimums in D.C.? I'm guessing not.

Boehner, actually his spokesman, also said "“Members of Congress should be held to the highest standards, and the alleged crime will be handled by the courts,” so I think that is the same thing that happens to the average jerk.  For some reason the first part of the sentence was left out of the OP. 

I wonder if anyone is going to bring up the fact that he voted for having Food Stamp recipients take mandatory drug tests?

Perhaps mandatory drug tests should apply to politicians also.

Anyone remember the hilarious bit they did on this a year or so ago on on The Daily Show? I think they had John Oliver follow the gov'ner around asking him to pee in a cup.

I keep saying this but...

There should be a mandatory rule across federal and state law that any public official in a position of trust or authority, from police to politician, receives DBL the punishment for any crime committed. 

Here in FL they did mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients and if found to be using drugs they loose benefits. 

This POS should be terminated ASAP. 

I could see something like that. 

I could see a rule in Congress that any member, upon conviction of any crime, (note that that hasn't happened, yet), gets kicked out immediately.  (If the voters send him back in, then he's allowed in.) 

it usually is for the ruling class

Yup. Meanwhile....

So you’re a judge, and Sharanda P. Jones comes before you for sentencing for conspiracy to distribute crack cocaine.

She’s a 32-year-old mom with a 9-year-old daughter and no prior arrests, but she has been caught up in a drug sweep that has led to 105 arrests in her Texas town. Everyone arrested is black. There are no drugs found on Jones, but her supposed co-conspirators testify against her in exchange for reduced sentences.

The whole case is dubious, but she has been convicted. What’s your sentence?

You have little choice. Given the presumptions of the case, she gets a mandatory minimum sentence of life without the possibility of parole.

Jump to today and already Jones has spent 14 years in prison and is expected to die behind bars — for a first offense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/opinion/kristof-serving-life-for-this.html?_r=0

Yes, I realize these are two very different cases (conspiracy to sell v possession) in two different states (FL v TX), but it is shocking to see the difference in punishment levels.

Bet he has some good connections.

Legalize it all and let the cards fall as they may.

I have never, and won't ever use it, but for the people that do...you know the potential reprecussions.

NO. And NO. Most people really DONT understand how dangerous and addictive cocaine is. Ive seen too many lives destroyed.

Legalize pot and use the resources saved to keep the dangerous **** off the streets.

NO. And NO. Most people really DONT understand how dangerous and addictive cocaine is. Ive seen too many lives destroyed.

Legalize pot and use the resources saved to keep the dangerous **** off the streets.

I can't baby sit adults. They should know the possibilities.

I grew up in DC with the crack situation. I have seen it all.

The weak will kill themselves one way or another. Who am I to try to stop them from living their lives ?

But at the very least legalize pot.

The weak will kill themselves one way or another. Who am I to try to stop them from living their lives ?

we baby sit them all the time, if you are going to legalize it the safety net needs adjusting or removed.

I'm fine with freedom

I've seen families devastated because the husband started doing coke, got addicted ruined their personal lives and killed themselves. Did those kids know what they were getting into? Hard drugs destroy more than the individual taking them. They destroy families and communities.

Personally, I am not sure they got it all. How do we know he is not hiding more? Need to get the Deming, NM police involved.  :blink:

That's right.... He was acting nervous and clenching his butt cheeks.  :lol:

I've seen families devastated because the husband started doing coke, got addicted ruined their personal lives and killed themselves. Did those kids know what they were getting into? Hard drugs destroy more than the individual taking them. They destroy families and communities.

Yes they do.

That is why there should be more treatment for drug abuse (and less wasteful, useless and punitive criminal sanctions).

Archived