Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Redskins head coach: Norv or Shanny?

justice98

Norv or Shanahan  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who'll be considered the better Redskins head coach?

• Norv
    • Shanahan

Well Shanahans on his way to having a worse record his first four years than Norval. 

1994 through 1997 Turner went 26-37-1. 

2010 to date, Shanahan is 24-34 with 6 games left in this horribly bad year. 

Norval was a first time HC. Shanahan is a two time SB winning, 20 year one.

You decide who is worse. 

Hail. 

Norv's demeanor probably doesn't lend itself to building a champion, but he'll make a good team.  He's like the engineer who starts a business with a great product, but can't make a successful business.  Shanny will either make you a champion or destroy you.  Last year looked like he was on the precipice of making the champion.  Now, it looks like he's just been reckless.

Norv should've been fired either during or after the 1998 season. He got us back to being an average team but you got the sense he was never going to get us over the hump and develop us into a consistent winner.

Having said that, I don't think Norv was ever going to win the fans over here. He took over one year removed from the greatest coach this team ever had.

Shanny has had a good amount of crap to deal with, but if you took a look at his ledger as Skins coach to date, he has been pretty much a massive disappointment......especially given his past success.

norvchargers2.jpg

espn_g_shanahan1x_576.jpg

Both stories are going to end the same baby. Dan is about to show Mike whose got the real doghouse.

Except, Shanny's not gonna take any mess from Snyder.  Snyder's not screaming Shanahan's head off.  Shanny'll either punch him in the face or he'll walk, but he ain't gonna stand there and take it and say "yes sir, may I have another."  lol

If we loose out Shan is done

If we win 1 more game Shan is done

3-13 FIRED

4-12 FIRED

5-11 or better hes back for his last year with a new DC/GM/ST coach

I honestly aren't sure, for two reasons.

Lil' Danny has his new rep to protect as a backseat owner. He steps back in (which he should, NO question); and the mediots will be over him. 

Then there's the question of $ 7 million a year. That's a BIG pay-off ON TOP of a new Coaches contract if you fire him. 

What SHOULD happen, and what may well happen, are sadly two completely different things. 

Hail. 

I honestly aren't sure, for two reasons.

Lil' Danny has his new rep to protect as a backseat owner. He steps back in (which he should, NO question); and the mediots will be over him. 

Then there's the question of $ 7 million a year. That's a BIG pay-off ON TOP of a new Coaches contract if you fire him. 

What SHOULD happen, and what may well happen, are sadly two completely different things. 

Hail. 

$7 mil is a lot of money, but it's a drop in the bucket to the pay offs Snyder's had to eat on players.  He likes to make money, but he also doesn't have qualms about spending it either. 

Up until now, Snyder's been able to get away with firing a coach and "going in a different direction" (not a direct quote, just my analysis).

Norv -> Schott: getting an established head coach

Schott -> Spurrier: getting a proven winner

Spurrier - > Gibbs: getting back to Redskins football

Gibbs -> Zorn: going with the only person who wanted to replace a legend

Zorn -> Shanny: going with a proven NFL Super Bowl winning coach

I'm not sure what he does now.  On paper, there aren't any better coaches than Shanny, although there are the Cowers etc who will need to have authority to tear apart the team and rebuild it in their own image.  Anyone else has to be a well reasoned leap of faith - either an up and coming coordinator or a college coach.  And that coach will be getting a depleted roster to build back up without a first this year.  I'm sure there will be no lack of applicants, but there will be competition for the best prospects too.

Up until now, Snyder's been able to get away with firing a coach and "going in a different direction" (not a direct quote, just my analysis).

Norv -> Schott: getting an established head coach

Schott -> Spurrier: getting a proven winner

Spurrier - > Gibbs: getting back to Redskins football

Gibbs -> Zorn: going with the only person who wanted to replace a legend

Zorn -> Shanny: going with a proven NFL Super Bowl winning coach

I'm not sure what he does now.  On paper, there aren't any better coaches than Shanny, although there are the Cowers etc who will need to have authority to tear apart the team and rebuild it in their own image.  Anyone else has to be a well reasoned leap of faith - either an up and coming coordinator or a college coach.  And that coach will be getting a depleted roster to build back up without a first this year.  I'm sure there will be no lack of applicants, but there will be competition for the best prospects too.

Shanny was all but ready to hire Fassell and backed off due to fan outrage; at least that's the myth.

The thread title does not match the thread question.  The thread title is "Better Redskins head coach: Norv or Shanny?"

The poll question asks "Who will be considered the best Redskins head coach?"  Both imply different things.  The first implies Shanahan's time is done, the second implies it is not.  

With that said, I voted Shanahan because I believe he personally will survive this season as will most of his staff on offense.  The Defense...not so much.  The offense took a **** on the field today for the most of the game, but predominantly for the season the defense has been the larger problem.  

I have come to accept the fact that this has become a season we just have to take our lumps, but I still believe in the overall direction of the club, and I believe it would be a huge mistake to start over with another head coach and staff.  

If next season things do not improve considerably, hopefully with a new defensive coordinator, plenty of cap space to sign some additional talent, and god willing an injury free Robert working all off-season with the offense it will be time to move on.  

Archived