Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green questions RGIII's Leadership (PER PFT AND INSIDE THE NFL)

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

For me, that type of play makes others step up on the football team, because they see the fight, determination, excitement, and when you get a first down like that, what more can you say!  Yes, his only 23 and he still is learning, not much I can say to that except our future looks bright with him in my own opinion.  He is our Captain, and yes theres always something to improve upon and I think he has the smarts to do so.

His not some Johnny Football, putting up "show me the money symbols or writing checks" in the air at people after a play.

Oh no doubt.  And Mayock frustrated me for the first time ever (maybe, I'll have to check the notes :lol: ) last Thursday when Griffin would take a hit on a run it would be "not smart, kids gotta do better" and then when Ponder got smoked on the goalline it was "Look at Ponder laying it out for the team!"  But I'm not talking about those.

And I do agree with you.  Those are the plays that he makes and that's who he is and I'm entirely okay with that.  And it does fire up the team.  But in some cases, your rookie TE might be like, great play, but again, you left a wide open WR out here with no ball to catch and you just tried to get yourself killed.  I don't think that's as much of a leadership thing as a "he's just that type of player thing" though.  But it would mean a lot to Reed or any other player if he went back to the huddle and said "Hey Jordan, I saw you were open but I couldn't flip my hips to get you the ball and we needed that first down.  Great route though."  I'm just about positive he didn't say this (and for all I know he does on other plays) because Mike's comments after the game were very telling.

I am very high on where #10 is going to take this franchise in the next five years, I really am.  I think we have a ring coming if the right decisions are made over the next year or two.  But Griffin cannot do what he did during training camp and the preseason like he did.  And he can be chummy with Dan on the low all he wants, but he can't do that in public.  It just is what it is.  He has a hole to fight his way out of (for me, at least) to call him a good leader again.  Last year he was a very good "young" leader and my wife and I used to stop everything to watch him speak during dinner because he was so great.  But something has happened to him since the Seattle game where he has just been a little less company line and a little more "look what I did".

How is starting week one best for himself? He gets nothing out of it other than the risk of bodily harm for sake of the team. Sacrificing your body for the team and fans is a leadership decision to me. Smart? Probably not, but definitely opposite of selfish.

Letting the back up QB play, who gives your team the best chance to win is a leadership decision.  That's the difference here.  And it's a tough one to make.  Griffin did everything he could to keep Cousins off the field this fall.

I don't understand why some posters are bringing up last year. Green was talking about his leadership, or lack thereof, since the offseason. The same things many posters have brought up and have been blasted by other members of this board. Truth is, RG3 has spent a lot of time since last February speaking of "me" and "I" not "we" and "us" as he did last year. That is the leadership Green was questioning, because you can't be a team leader when your so wrapped up in yourself, your self-produced documentary, commercials, and dictating to your coaches when you will play and what plays you will and will not run. I'm sure many will take "offense" to my post, but that is what happened as the offseason began. Hopefully, he is being humbled and returning to the leader he was when he first got here and before reading all of his own press clippings.

Oh no doubt. And Mayock frustrated me for the first time ever (maybe, I'll have to check the notes :lol: ) last Thursday when Griffin would take a hit on a run it would be "not smart, kids gotta do better" and then when Ponder got smoked on the goalline it was "Look at Ponder laying it out for the team!" But I'm not talking about those.

And I do agree with you. Those are the plays that he makes and that's who he is and I'm entirely okay with that. And it does fire up the team. But in some cases, your rookie TE might be like, great play, but again, you left a wide open WR out here with no ball to catch and you just tried to get yourself killed. I don't think that's as much of a leadership thing as a "he's just that type of player thing" though. But it would mean a lot to Reed or any other player if he went back to the huddle and said "Hey Jordan, I saw you were open but I couldn't flip my hips to get you the ball and we needed that first down. Great route though." I'm just about positive he didn't say this (and for all I know he does on other plays) because Mike's comments after the game were very telling.

I am very high on where #10 is going to take this franchise in the next five years, I really am. I think we have a ring coming if the right decisions are made over the next year or two. But Griffin cannot do what he did during training camp and the preseason like he did. And he can be chummy with Dan on the low all he wants, but he can't do that in public. It just is what it is. He has a hole to fight his way out of (for me, at least) to call him a good leader again. Last year he was a very good "young" leader and my wife and I used to stop everything to watch him speak during dinner because he was so great. But something has happened to him since the Seattle game where he has just been a little less company line and a little more "look what I did".

Letting the back up QB play, who gives your team the best chance to win is a leadership decision. That's the difference here. And it's a tough one to make. Griffin did everything he could to keep Cousins off the field this fall.

Sorry but that is just ignorant. The decision to start him wek one is not RG3s at all... The coaching staff and doctors saw his progression and status up to week one, and decided he was going to start. A player is always going to want to play. Its up to the coaches to analyze and determine whats the best decision to make when it comes to the starting 11.

And I do agree with you.  Those are the plays that he makes and that's who he is and I'm entirely okay with that.  And it does fire up the team.  But in some cases, your rookie TE might be like, great play, but again, you left a wide open WR out here with no ball to catch and you just tried to get yourself killed.  I don't think that's as much of a leadership thing as a "he's just that type of player thing" though.  But it would mean a lot to Reed or any other player if he went back to the huddle and said "Hey Jordan, I saw you were open but I couldn't flip my hips to get you the ball and we needed that first down.  Great route though."  I'm just about positive he didn't say this (and for all I know he does on other plays) because Mike's comments after the game were very telling.

I am not going to lie, when he landed upside down on his back/ neck, I said "oh crap," he probably just got concussed or something.  Iv sordove felt that concussions are easy to come by these days and even then players played with them during the game before today.  

Im not going to lie, there are some sketchy plays when he runs around etc... but he gets nailed just staying in the pocket. I dont want to see this kid getting hurt and his been criticized so much for his decision making on the field as a passer and runner even after his injury.  

I want him to be able to play every single game and slide every chance he gets to play "safe and prolong his career" but theres no arguing that, that kind of play isnt leadership or a big play in football.  When he got up afterwards, I mean C'MON imagine what the sidelines and players were thinking of in the huddle afterwards:)  

Sorry but that is just ignorant. The decision to start him wek one is not RG3s at all... The coaching staff and doctors saw his progression and status up to week one, and decided he was going to start. A player is always going to want to play. Its up to the coaches to analyze and determine whats the best decision to make when it comes to the starting 11.

I agree.

If Mike Shanahan is this disciplinarian, no nonsense coach that he comes off as, he should have had no issue telling Rob to sit the **** down. It's RGIII's job to want to play and if the coach disagrees then it is his job to make the right decision.

I don't know if that gif helps your argument, leaders don't make reckless decisions like that.

Then you don't know leaders.

Players outright said that a similar play against Carolina is what solidified their belief that Robert was in it for the team, not himself, that he was leading by example.  Kind of the opposite of what you believe.

Also one of the iconic plays of John Elway's career is getting nailed by two defenders.  Yep, that was also a dumb play.

Ignorant?  Even based off all of the facts that we have from the offseason media broohaahaa between the two?

Keep in mind there's video evidence.

I can also tell you that there were several very upset players on the offensive side of the ball with Darrell Green's comments. #Redskins

One player said about @RGIII "We voted that guy captain because we believe in him.That guy is a (expletive) leader in a big way." #Redskins

One offensive player remarked that he wished he could "expletive truck" that guy right now. Was very upset over disrespect to Robert.

Another player said "We don't give a crap about the whole RG III thing. We didn't vote him captain because he's RG III." #Redskins

One player said about @RGIII "We voted that guy captain because we believe in him.That guy is a (expletive) leader in a big way." #Redskins

One offensive player remarked that he wished he could "expletive truck" that guy right now. Was very upset over disrespect to Robert.

Was literally about to post this.

I wish that these dumbass players would read ES more to realize that they don't think that RGIII is a leader because we're the ones who actually know what's going on.

Chris Russell@Russellmania98036m

Several #Redskins players confirmed that for first time today they ran a gauntlet style combine run/pass catching drill at end of practice.

Chris Russell@Russellmania98034m

One player said they didn't know who ordered it. One player said it was Robert Griffin's request. One remarked "That's a (bleeping) leader"

Chris Russell@Russellmania98014m

I can tell you guys it was a team bonding exercise, w/ no coaches & most of the offense. It was in the works on Tuesday. Friday lighter day

Chris Russell@Russellmania9808m

Even though Robert Griffin drew it up, not a response to Darrell Green's comments about leadership. It was planned, QB did it @ Baylor.

I can also tell you that there were several very upset players on the offensive side of the ball with Darrell Green's comments. #Redskins

Chris Russell@Russellmania9806m

Chris Russell@Russellmania9804m

I want him to be able to play every single game and slide every chance he gets to play "safe and prolong his career" but theres no arguing that, that kind of play isnt leadership or a big play in football.  When he got up afterwards, I mean C'MON imagine what the sidelines and players were thinking of in the huddle afterwards:)  

Oh I would've gone nuts for him.  But a 3rd down conversion pass to your stud rookie TE moves the chains just the same.  I didn't want to get too far off topic on the leadership stuff though.  But I agree, that play was almost the perfect example of what you can do to fire up your team and what you shouldn't do. 

Trusting his reads and learning to be a pocket passer has nothing to do with his ability to command a huddle or his overall leadership.  I would argue that if you are going to be the leader of the team, you need to be able to show the rest of the players that you can distro them the ball when they are wide open though. 

I'm not saying we are anywhere close to this yet, but I'd wager that the 2007 offensive line blocked just a little harder for Todd Collins because they knew that he had the ability to get the ball to the appropriate read.  After a while with JCam, they could block for four or five seconds and it was still going to be a check down.

Was literally about to post this.

I wish that these dumbass players would read ES more to realize that they don't think that RGIII is a leader because we're the ones who actually know what's going on.

I'm going to say that a 2 time Super Bowl winning HOF 20 year tenured Washington Redskins legend does, too.

But hey.  Not a lot of people know what leadership is these days anyway.  And I think that's the meat of the problem.

whoops, was beaten to the punch, my apologies.  Glad to see the team rallying around RGIII.  Seems like the team is ready for battle.  HTTR.

Aikman does this to Romo sits to pee all of the time.  Let's hope we respond to it better.

Chris Russell@Russellmania98036m

Several #Redskins players confirmed that for first time today they ran a gauntlet style combine run/pass catching drill at end of practice.

Chris Russell@Russellmania98034m

One player said they didn't know who ordered it. One player said it was Robert Griffin's request. One remarked "That's a (bleeping) leader"

Chris Russell@Russellmania98014m

I can tell you guys it was a team bonding exercise, w/ no coaches & most of the offense. It was in the works on Tuesday. Friday lighter day

Even though Robert Griffin drew it up, not a response to Darrell Green's comments about leadership. It was planned, QB did it @ Baylor.

Chris Russell@Russellmania9806m

Chris Russell@Russellmania9804m

End the thread and forward to ESPN

I'm going to say that a 2 time Super Bowl winning HOF 20 year tenured Washington Redskins legend does, too.

But hey.  Not a lot of people know what leadership is these days anyway.  And I think that's the meat of the problem.

Darrell Green is in no way associated with the Redskins organization.  He doesn't know **** about **** that's going on in this locker room, and we're talking about this locker room.

So no, he doesn't know about the leadership in this locker room.

How is starting week one best for himself? He gets nothing out of it other than the risk of bodily harm for sake of the team. Sacrificing your body for the team and fans is a leadership decision to me. Smart? Probably not, but definitely opposite of selfish.

C'mon man. The whole "All in for week one" BS campaign. Starting week one was all about his image to prove how tough he was...and to help Adidas off course.

I agree.

If Mike Shanahan is this disciplinarian, no nonsense coach that he comes off as, he should have had no issue telling Rob to sit the **** down. It's RGIII's job to want to play and if the coach disagrees then it is his job to make the right decision.

The thing I wonder about is if Mike; wait, my belief is that Mike had alot of pressure from different directions to start Griffin week 1.

First, the media would eat that like an Ethiopian camping out in a donut shop. Then there's Griffin's parent with their comments, possibly pressure from Snyder? 

Thats alot of people to keep happy, and even though Mike's the HC, influences from many places and looking at the possible backlash starting Cousins and the Skins end up losing week 1 had alot to do with whether Griffin started or not.

I would venture to say that many would be calling for Mike's head had he started Cousins week 1, not really considering hindsight, just talk from people, and we all know how a mole hill can turn into a mountain in DC...

This is the Sound F/X from the Dallas game in week 17 winner-take-all game. The biggest game of his life. He is the definition of a leader in this video. Santana Moss personally thanked him afterwards. He even complimented Tony Romo sits to pee afterwards. 

I've always felt that if I were Romo sits to pee in that situation... that would have been the last thing I would have wanted to hear from a 1st year player  Rookie of the year or not.   As if Romo sits to pee needs to hear from the winning QB who is a rookie... Don't listen to anybody...you're a great QB.... 

OK

The thing I wonder about is if Mike; wait, my belief is that Mike had alot of pressure from different directions to start Griffin week 1.

First, the media would eat that like an Ethiopian camping out in a donut shop. Then there's Griffin's parent with their comments, possibly pressure from Snyder? 

Thats alot of people to keep happy, and even though Mike's the HC, influences from many places and looking at the possible backlash starting Cousins and the Skins end up losing week 1 had alot to do with whether Griffin started or not.

I would venture to say that many would be calling for Mike's head had he started Cousins week 1, not really considering hindsight, just talk from people, and we all know how a mole hill can turn into a mountain in DC...

Um..If he is the head coach of the team and he felt that Cousins was the best option, it is his job to start him and say **** everyone.

The media was crucifying him for sitting McNabb and Haynesworth and Mike didn't give an eighth of a ****. So I'm confident that Mike made HIS decision.

DG is just talking out of his ass. Does he have ANY proof on what he said? He's just speculating.

Just quoting your post since it's short, but I'm wondering if people on both sides aren't getting spun up a little too much.

Green probably isn't "hating" or "talking out of his ass" here. He probably is speculating (as you say) and giving his opinion on what he thinks is happening in the locker room. On the other hand, he really doesn't know and his opinion is probably no closer to accurate than a random analyst.

So, I doubt he's really claiming to have any sources or break some story. He's probably just giving his opinion from 10,000 feet based on seeing the same things we are. I don't think it's necessary to disown him as a former great Redskin. Nor do I see the need to swing in and defend him just because he played in our colors for 20 years.

He said what he said, but all that really matters is how the team feels about Griffin. Chris Russell's tweets seem to imply things are fine, so who really cares?

Archived