Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Isn't Anyone Talking About Tom Brady's Mediocre Play?

Botched

Brady is considered by many to be the best QB in the league. He is typically top 5 in every meaningful statistical category, yet this year, he barely cracks the top half of the league in any of them. Shouldn't this be a big deal?

9 touchdowns (17th)

6 interceptions (14th)

1824 passing yards (15th)

Comp%: 55.7 (29th)

YPA: 5.9 (30th)

QB rating: 74.9 (27th)

He hasn't had a QB rating over 75 in a game since last month. He's thrown 2 TDs in his last 4 games combined.

Meanwhile, the Patriots are 6-2. So what's going on?

No one is talking about it as much (or as much as they should) 1) Because before the season, everyone figured that with all the weapons he lost (and the lack of adequate relacements, coupled with some rookies, who will play the most difficult position for rookie players), the team would struggle, 2) Because he is Tom Brady, 3 time SB winner/MVP, legend ( and even if he played like **** for the entire game, and somehow led a game winning drive, it would be classified as "Tom Brady being Tom Brady") and 3) the defense has started to play a lot better than they have been, along with the team winning. Hard to yell "Fire" too much when they're 6-2. They're scratching and clawing, but they're still getting W's.

And also, the Pats have shown over time, that they can make adjustments with the players they have, or with their schemes,  and get W's no matter what. Brady also wasn't really setting the world on fire statistically when he was winning SB's. They leaned on their running game, and when it came time to make crucial throws in a game... He made them. When he started to become a stat monster, they started losing, because their defense started to get old, and eventually suck, and because they became one dimensional.

Oh, he also has historically had absurdly awesome protection, and when he doesn't get it, he becomes a mere mortal, like every other QB. His game is pocket oriented.

6-2. That's why.

Show me how many QB's can overcome the loss of not one, not two, but THREE of his top pass catchers from last year and is just now getting one back?

How about one of the biggest money throws against New Orleans for a comeback win? Clutch.

6-2. That's why.

Show me how many QB's can overcome the loss of not one, not two, but THREE of his top pass catchers from last year and is just now getting one back?

How about one of the biggest money throws against New Orleans for a comeback win? Clutch.

In the past, Tom Brady could. He played with garbage receivers for the first several years of his career, and for all three Super Bowl wins. That is why it's so interesting that he's playing like crap this year.

In the past, Tom Brady could. 

He's doing it right now (along with the rest of the team)...

Besides you have to factor in the difference in eras. NFL rules seems to favor more wide open sexy Fantasy Football offenses. And the guys he won SB's with may be considered garbage compared to what other QB's won multiple SB's with, or what he had in Stallworth/Moss/Welker/Gronk/Hernandez, but guys like Branch, Givens, Patten, Brown, Watson/Graham weren't slouches. They were more of an all-around team, in an all-around era, that bended but didn't break, played ball control/mistake free, and did what they had to do to get the W.

How can you possibly look at this current scenario objectively, and basically sum it up as "What's wrong with Brady?"

Brady is considered by many to be the best QB in the league. He is typically top 5 in every meaningful statistical category, yet this year, he barely cracks the top half of the league in any of them. Shouldn't this be a big deal?

9 touchdowns (17th)

6 interceptions (14th)

1824 passing yards (15th)

Comp%: 55.7 (29th)

YPA: 5.9 (30th)

QB rating: 74.9 (27th)

He hasn't had a QB rating over 75 in a game since last month. He's thrown 2 TDs in his last 4 games combined.

Meanwhile, the Patriots are 6-2. So what's going on?

If the team was losing then I think this would be a bigger deal. Thanks to them being 6-2, and because it's well publicized that his top 5 targets last year were all abscent for most of the year thus far, it's basically been downplayed.

Even worse than that. It was his top five up to this point (four going forward now that Gronks back).

Welker had 118 receptions. Lloyd had 74. Gronk had 55. Hernandez had 51. And Woodhead had 40.

Edleman is the only player with more than 20 catches last year (21) that's been active all season long.

He's doing it right now (along with the rest of the team)...

Besides you have to factor in the difference in eras. NFL rules seems to favor more wide open sexy Fantasy Football offenses. And the guys he won SB's with may be considered garbage compared to what other QB's won multiple SB's with, or what he had in Stallworth/Moss/Welker/Gronk/Hernandez, but guys like Branch, Givens, Patten, Brown, Watson/Graham weren't slouches. They were more of an all-around team, in an all-around era, that bended but didn't break, played ball control/mistake free, and did what they had to do to get the W.

How can you possibly look at this current scenario objectively, and basically sum it up as "What's wrong with Brady?"

Because from an individual standpoint, he's having the worst year of his entire career. He's fallen off a cliff statistically. How could there not be something wrong with Tom Brady?

This year he's on pace for 18 TDs, 12 INTs, 0 rush TDs, his ypa is down by almost 2 from last year (that is huge), and his passer rating is 24 points lower.

He went from elite, HOF production, to Christian Ponder production, in one year. It's amazing.

I'm  not saying there's nothing wrong with him. I'm just saying how can it be just him. I've already explained what I think is wrong. I think he is easier to rattle, and get taken out of his game. Lucky for him, the overall team is still good enough to win games. I think his performance will improve as the season goes on, and he gets some guys back, and the new guys develop better chemistry. Losing your top 5 targets, as well as some lineman is usually a death sentence for any QB. That's my overall point.

There is no groundswell of panic coming from Boston yet because the fackin Red Sax ah in the Series. Also, people expected a down year because of the loss of weapons but the fact that they are 6-2 calms things down quite a bit.

Once the MLB season is over, if Brady is still playing terrible, it will get a little more mention. Everybody for some reason, is obsessed with Boston sports and they get a pass in the media. 

6-2. That's why.

Aaron Rodgers says "hello". Greg Jennings walked, Donald Driver retired, and then James Jones, Randall Cobb and Jermichael Finley lost to injury.

Archived