Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Easiest Complaint In Football: Clock Management

Lombardi's_kid_brother

Anyone who regularly reads Bill Simmons knows how to fix this. Coaches have too much going on during the game and week plus they rarely get into specific situations so when they do they panic, try to refer back to stats, take time to think about it etc. Gaffes are going to happen. 

Simmons suggests, and hang with me because this sounds and is silly,  every team hire a Madden player and put them in the booth. People that regularly play Madden especially online go through thousands of game experiences a year if not more. They can easily determine the best use of TOs and clock management at the end of the half and game. They know the odds from experience, not referring to statistics and know the best way to extend the game that gives them a chance. Its completely ridiculous but I actually like the theory.

No, video games aren't a valid representation of real life football and events but since I have read and heard him bring that up I always ask myself when I see a coach blow clock management, would a savvy Madden player do that? No. 

In one of the games last weekend, the offensive team (sorry, I forget which team were playing) had the ball at their own one yard line.  I don't remember the score, but they were behind and time was running out.  They get a penalty, so the nose of the ball is now on the 1/2 yard line, which means the back of the ball is like at the six inch line.  There was some confusion on the next play and the play clock was running down, so they use a time out.  I almost lost it.  A delay of game penalty would have resulted in a 3 inch walkoff, since the back of the ball needs to remain ahead of the goal line.  So they used a time out to save three inches.

Similarly, "saving a timeout for the kicker" is ridiculous if the other team has the ball.  The kicking team can easily set up in 20 seconds while the opposing team will run off 40 seconds if you save that timeout.  And if its not fourth down, you can spike the ball in less than 10 seconds.  So you lose 3-4 plays by "saving" a time out for the kicker.  But coaches still do it.

You would think that since most games are decided by less than a touchdown, that coaches would know time management inside out.  But they don't.

Because its extremely hard to make decisions in very dynamic situations based on tons of unknown information in real time.

This, plus the fact that the people criticizing them are not responsible for making the actual decision.

I think clock management is one of the easiest things to "manage" when we are sitting at home watching the game. The clock is always right there on the screen, we don't have to worry about calling another play, or thinking about the next play, or thinking about the play after that. And if we yell timeout in our living room, but then realize it's not a good call, then whoop-de-doo. If a coach yells for a timeout, then realizes he should have spiked it, rushed up to the line, etc, he can't take it back. But it doesn't matter what we do, we aren't responsible for the decision.

For as dynamic a situation it is, those same situations, should eventually all fall into patterns for an experienced coach. Do you need 2 scores, a FG. Do you have 1 2 or 3 timeouts. Is it 1st 2nd or 3rd down. The goal remains the same, score. whoops we didnt score quick enough. Lets onside. it's not really rocket science.

I think coaches make it harder on themselves than they need to by refusing to hand over the keys to offense to the QB they have been grooming for those exact situations, almost daily. Not trusting their own teachings, their own student, their own franchise QB; its like OCs fear them succeeding.

Kyle may never admit it, but I have the sense that RG3 knows what Kyle wants to do. It creates inefficiency by having Kyle tell RG3 what he already knows. RG3 may know how to score better than Kyle does. Call it, a feel for the game. It's why we drafted RG3, because he can run an offense. Regardless, he and Kyle should be on the same page.

I was stunned to hear we have to huddle up to run certain formations. Memo to Kyle, in hurry up, purge your formations.

Oh, and add one. 

4, or even 5 wide.

I think he will be stunned at what RG3 can do with the same formations he ran in college, the same formations that made us all enamored with him in the first place.

I bet time management will get a lot easier.

People that regularly play Madden especially online go through thousands of game experiences a year if not more. They can easily determine the best use of TOs and clock management at the end of the half and game. They know the odds from experience, not referring to statistics and know the best way to extend the game that gives them a chance.

I've played video games since 1984. And I can unequivocally state that through repetition, fine tuning execution, one increasingly gets better with time management.

It doesn't need to be anyone outside the organization. It doesn't need to be a gamer instead of a coach. It just needs to be a coach who uses whatever tools necessary, "video games," to complete an insane number of reps in simulation of specific events.

A stopwatch, game film and a notepad could work.

Getting the players to physically do reps is probably the most beneficial of all things. Literal and physical reps in simulation. But the visual components of a clock ticking, the number of timeouts, how long each play takes, that needs to be reinforced to everyone involved.

The fundamental issue:

Ideally the coach who is in charge of play calling, the HC or the OC, is also the same guy doing these exhaustive reps, likewise in charge of the timeouts, but as you say, they have all sorts of things going on in their mind. Like ... when to get to the tanning salon.

So, yeah, it's about having someone in place who can see the macro, while the micro is being manged as well.

All the coach needs to know is how long any given play takes from the current personnel squad. You figure that out through research and then practice. The coach needs to document the metrics. The coach needs to know the average time run off from one play to another, especially if the ball is still in bounds - clock ticking, to the next snap ... etc.

Gamers can do that seamlessly because it's intrinsic to the game itself. If you play video game football, or whatever, the clock is omnipresent, always on the screen. You can't help but see it. You also see the number of time outs you have as well. And most importantly, you know which plays work and how long each play takes.

If something is visual, it's really easy to reference it, in an instant.

In a video game where you control the parameters, you can call the same sideline pass play 5 times over and again, stopping the clock, as long as your execution is correct. You also control the player to get out of bounds.The gamer is the coach and player.

In real life those two components have to be on the same page, often they are not, that's the inherent trouble.

In the video game, you can move the ball down the field without running off much time, if you are practiced at it. There always will be time that comes off the clock, you simply have to practice and repeat the steps in order to get the tempo, pacing, the management of it.

You are also just one click away from calling a spike-the-ball play or a timeout. In other words communication is instant, there's no running down the field to get the attention of the side-judge or an exhaustive hand signal to the QB who isn't even looking at you.

Generally speaking you try to get the ball down to within a viable scoring range with enough time for yourself, while leaving little for your opponent. So you need to know how your team scores.

For me, in the video game, it's by way of sideline passes all the way to the goalline, then waste some clock by calling consecutive running plays. Aka: pound it in. Leave only a few seconds on the clock for the opponent. Sometimes it works, sometimes a misstep occurs. But you try to avoid allowing the clock to tick away while you are at the 30 yardline, for example. Or better said, somewhere too far away with dwindling time.

That's the catch.

You only know what works by way of understanding your team's abilities, their strengths and of course by way of repetition. Plays have to match what the players can do (or in the video game, what your fingers can execute). You get a groove.

Likewise, as gamers know, you are the omnipotent presence in that world. You call the plays, you control the players movements, albeit one at a time, and you play coach or manager with the timeouts, etc.

What I just described was a streamlined situation. One person, total control, highly experienced in the specific situation, with instant communication ability. That dynamic just doesn't exist in reality ... at least not often.

The idea to practice the **** out of it, research what you've already done in games, document it and proceed to get better at it.

In reality, the said coach needs to solely focus on straight-up war games all day long.

You know like the WOPR:

wopr.jpg

"Beef up security huh, more like screwed up."

I was not happy with the Redskins for taking that timeout with ~1 min left in the game.  Honestly, they should've run it to avoid giving the Bears that much time at the end.  Even if they don't score a touchdown, that goalline series needs to be the last series of the game.  There's too many opportunities for something to happen when teams get desperate and start throwing laterals, etc.

That said, I actually think they did pretty well in general today (which is not something I've seen out of the Redskins in recent years).

Don't forget to look at results. We scored a TD and gave them the ball back with about 40 seconds left.   

Anything under a minute should be considered a victory. A stat, like punts downed inside the 20. 

Stud play, that 3rd down throw to Garcon. Throw of the game. 

Don't forget to look at results. We scored a TD and gave them the ball back with about 40 seconds left.   

Anything under a minute should be considered a victory. A stat, like punts downed inside the 20. 

Stud play, that 3rd down throw to Garcon. Throw of the game. 

It's not all results, it's also situation. I thought we handled the clock well at the end of the first, and thru most of that final drive. But the first TO with 1:04 left was dumb.

It's not all results, it's also situation. I thought we handled the clock well at the end of the first, and thru most of that final drive. But the first TO with 1:04 left was dumb.

You may be reaching a bit. Maybe it gave Helu a breather. Let us script a few plays. Kyle to think up a play. 

Never discount winning. 

Dont forget, It's us though. We look about as disorganized as any team I watch. Even on that stud throw to Garcon, Reed running behind the line inadvertently blocked someone. 

This same offense, had only scored how many TDs in first halves this year? 

You may be reaching a bit. Maybe it gave Helu a breather. Let us script a few plays. Kyle to think up a play. 

Never discount winning. 

Dont forget, It's us though. We look about as disorganized as any team I watch. Even on that stud throw to Garcon, Reed running behind the line inadvertently blocked someone. 

This same offense, had only scored how many TDs in first halves this year? 

Nope, not reaching. I would be alright with the TO, but there was no reason to not let at least another 15 seconds or so go off the clock there. Ball on the 12, over a minute left, holding all your timeouts there is no reason for quick clock stoppage there.

Their offense got the ball back with about 35 seconds left. Would 29 seconds left be ok?  

They didnt even get a hail mary.  

Our TM did good today. We ran Helu. Them getting the ball under 40 is huge.

Eventually being too concerned about them scoring, you settle for a FG. Play scared. Rush, overthink it. Lose.  We had to score as priority one. 

Their offense got the ball back with about 35 seconds left. Would 29 seconds left be ok?  

They didnt even get a hail mary.  

Our TM did good today. We ran Helu. Them getting the ball under 40 is huge.

Eventually being too concerned about them scoring, you settle for a FG. Play scared. Rush, overthink it. Lose.  We had to score as priority one. 

We had 12 yards to go, 1:04 left and all of our TOs. There was no danger of us being "rushed" or not having time to run all the plays we needed to unless we are completely incompetent. We scored with 45 seconds left with 2 TOs still in hand. What about that makes you think we were in grave danger of running out of time to score?

And it's not all "look at the results". You can handle the clock perfectly and give it back with 1:30 left, you can handle it terribly and give it back with 2 seconds left. You have to look at the situation. And in that one, there was zero reason to call a quick timeout. And we got lucky the kick return didn't net more yards, Forte didn't get out of bounds, McCown didn't get rid of the ball, etc. We were in more danger on that drive because we gave them more time than we should have. 

Rufus man. I love you, and I'd quadruple like most times if I could (see, I DO read. Just gotten caught up elsewhere to reply); but let it die for 24 hours or so man. We won a humdinger that is what a fan is being all about. Entertainment. Let's relish that for the present and leave the negatives for the time being. 

Hail. 

Rufus man. I love you, and I'd quadruple like most times if I could (see, I DO read. Just gotten caught up elsewhere to reply); but let it die for 24 hours or so man. We won a humdinger that is what a fan is being all about. Entertainment. Let's relish that for the present and leave the negatives for the time being. 

Hail. 

Nope. I am allowed to respond to topics and point out a mistake, especially in a post that was generally complimentary. I am not going to pretend everything's perfect after a W anymore than I will claim everything is rotten after an L.

And that lecture is pretty hypocritical coming from someone who's busy trying to convince everyone that Orakpo really didn't play well.

Nope. I am allowed to respond to topics and point out a mistake, especially in a post that was generally complimentary. I am not going to pretend everything's perfect after a W anymore than I will claim everything is rotten after an L.

And that lecture is pretty hypocritical coming from someone who's busy trying to convince everyone that Orakpo really didn't play well.

Geez man it wasn't a lecture. No need to go on the defensive. And 98Orakpo98 is an ass. We have a thing going.

Forget it man. Blunder on. Sorry I said anything. 

Hail.

We had 12 yards to go, 1:04 left and all of our TOs. There was no danger of us being "rushed" or not having time to run all the plays we needed to unless we are completely incompetent. We scored with 45 seconds ...

Maybe RG3 was gassed, or Mike thought he was. Or Helu. It appears we were set on running Helu a lot so time was going to be milked going forward. 

Maybe Mike was confused; overwhelmed and wanted to regroup.

Had we not called a TO there, who knows what would have happened next. False start. holding.   

Good debating! 

Maybe RG3 was gassed, or Mike thought he was. Or Helu. It appears we were set on running Helu a lot so time was going to be milked going forward. 

Maybe Mike was confused!  

Had we not called a TO there, who knows what would have happened next. False start. holding.   

Good debating! 

Exactly. I was fine with a TO there. Settle down, figure out what we're gonna do, and do it.

Remember a couple of years ago in the AFC Title game? The Ravens rushed their K out, when they had a timeout. If they call a TO, he probably makes the kick.

In that situation, it's better to use a TO and make sure everyone is on the same page. We had two left anyway, and a TD means the Bears have to also score a TD so you're likely gonna win no matter if you score now, 10 seconds from now, 20, etc.

The best thing the Redskins did right before Helu's 2nd TD was to line up and hurry up the snap... instead of dickin' around to over analyze it toward a possible TO. Just line up and run the damn play. Good job Skins!... Can't believe we still had 2 TO's left at the end of the game.

Archived