Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Romo Vs The 3-4 Defense

grego

i remember hearing last year that Romo sits to pee struggles vs 3/4 defenses. i also remember hearing a dallas reporter on local radio talking about haslett being able to scheme up a defensive game plan vs Romo sits to pee better than anyone (in his opinion).

just looking at who Romo sits to pee has played this year, out of the 5 teams dallas has played, i believe 2 of them run a 3-4...san diego and kansas city. the cowboys scored 21 and 16 points in those games while scoring 31, 36 and 48 in the other three.

looking at this season, it does appear that there could be something to this, but i cant find much on the web about it. 

does anyone have any more info in this?

i remember hearing last year that Romo sits to pee struggles vs 3/4 defenses. i also remember hearing a dallas reporter on local radio talking about haslett being able to scheme up a defensive game plan vs Romo sits to pee better than anyone (in his opinion).

just looking at who Romo sits to pee has played this year, out of the 5 teams dallas has played, i believe 2 of them run a 3-4...san diego and kansas city. the cowboys scored 21 and 16 points in those games while scoring 31, 36 and 48 in the other three.

looking at this season, it does appear that there could be something to this, but i cant find much on the web about it. 

does anyone have any more info in this?

It's not the 34.  Romo sits to pee played against the 34 every day for 10 years.  That's not it.  The things KC and San Diego have in commen are that they both won the battle against our OL.  Particularly against Frederick.  Each of those teams had Interior play that gave us problems. 

I mean, I guess you could make the case that because each of those teams had dominating NT, it is in part the 34 but really, if you had a DT in a 43 that could do the same, then I think the results would be similar.  Our Interior line is good but young.  We sometimes get hurt because of that. 

I think that this is more the reason as to why.

Hopefully Dangelo Hall,will show up.Actually tackle instead of pretending to.All he does is hang back and wait for something to happen.yes I do not like him.he should not have made the team.

Baloney...DHall has scored more than this offense at times and has played pretty well this year given the circumstances. Perfect? Not at all...but Hall is hardly the biggest issue we have in the secondary.

On top of that...Hall's perfromace last year absolutely shutting down and owning what is - argueably - one of the best receivers in the league right now in Dez Bryant in week 17 last year was absolutely clutch.

We can **** about this secondary all day and it is generally 100% accurate but to say that Hall shouldn't have made the team given his performace so far this year....completely off base. DHall is doing good things for us.

You mean he practiced against Dallas' version of the 3-4?

Yes, that's what I am saying but the principles are the same.  He's not seeing anything he doesn't understand in the 3-4.  Romo sits to pee does not like pressure up the middle, no QB does and when he gets that, he struggles.  Both San Diego and KC were able to do that to Dallas.  

Yes, that's what I am saying but the principles are the same. He's not seeing anything he doesn't understand in the 3-4. Romo sits to pee does not like pressure up the middle, no QB does and when he gets that, he struggles. Both San Diego and KC were able to do that to Dallas.

Well, thanks for giving me hope for this game. :)

Cofield is gonna be a tough outing for the young center. I can also see them sending Fletcher up the middle quite a bit

Well, thanks for giving me hope for this game. :)

Cofield is gonna be a tough outing for the young center. I can also see them sending Fletcher up the middle quite a bit

Frederick has trouble with guys who are massively strong and quick.  See Cam Thomas 6'4" 330 lbs. and Dontrai Poe 6'3" 346 lbs.  I'm not sure Cofield is that kind of player but if he is, then it's possible that he could give Fredbeard trouble.

Sending Fletcher would be a mistake IMO.  I think you need Fletcher in coverage against the 12 Set.  If you send Fletcher, he's going to have to beat one of the Guards and both Leary and Waters, Waters in particular, are tough. 

It's not the 34.  Romo sits to pee played against the 34 every day for 10 years.  That's not it.  The things KC and San Diego have in commen are that they both won the battle against our OL.  Particularly against Frederick.  Each of those teams had Interior play that gave us problems. 

The Cowboys only ran a 3-4 during the 2011 and 2012 seasons. So, Romo sits to pee only had TWO years of practice against a 3-4, not ten.

Over his career, Romo sits to pee has a losing record against teams that run a 3-4 as their base.

Frederick has trouble with guys who are massively strong and quick.  See Cam Thomas 6'4" 330 lbs. and Dontrai Poe 6'3" 346 lbs.  I'm not sure Cofield is that kind of player but if he is, then it's possible that he could give Fredbeard trouble.

Sending Fletcher would be a mistake IMO.  I think you need Fletcher in coverage against the 12 Set.  If you send Fletcher, he's going to have to beat one of the Guards and both Leary and Waters, Waters in particular, are tough. 

We may as well send Fletcher after Romo sits to pee since his coverage is about the same as him vacating the middle of the field. I don't have a good feeling about how we match up against that offense, so I'm inclined to hope for a very aggressive defensive game plan in the hopes of forcing some mistakes.

Romo sits to pee has lit our 3-4 defense up a couple of times since Haslett has been here:

2012: @Dallas - 441 yards/3TDs

2011: @Washington - 292 yards/3TDs         

He also beat us almost single-handedly (with an assist from his kicker) in Dallas in 2011. He had guys running the wrong way, etc. and he still put up 250+ yards. The only games he didn't play well that I can recall were the first game of 2010 (maybe due to not really knowing what to expect) and the season finale last year (decent yards, but 3 critical mistakes).

Haslett does extremely well against the Cowboys and Romo sits to pee. It's odd, he seems to bring a lot more man pressure v them then against other teams.

Shoot I wish he would just halluciante all the other teams in silver and blue uniforms then. Anything to make the D less abysmal.

The Cowboys only ran a 3-4 during the 2011 and 2012 seasons. So, Romo sits to pee only had TWO years of practice against a 3-4, not ten.

Over his career, Romo sits to pee has a losing record against teams that run a 3-4 as their base.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but both Parcells and Phillips ran a 3-4, so the Dallas defense has run that scheme the entire time that Romo sits to pee has been in Dallas. 

Its not the 34 it's pressure. Haslett likes to blitz him. Remember last year in the Thanksgiving day game Haslett stopped applying pressure and Romo sits to pee and Bryant went off. 

I saw LL's tweets yesterday. He said the Broncos only rushed more than 4 8 times. Romo sits to pee was 2/5 passing and was sacked 3 times. He had one TD to Bryant when they were inside the 5 yard line. 

The Broncos were basically dropping into coverage all game and Romo sits to pee picked that apart. 

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Tony-Romos-Stats-Against-the-Blitz-in-2012-179108801.html

Show Blitz/Blitz

N/N: 150-for-220 for 1,671 yards (7.60 YPA), 11 TD, 8 INT – 92.1 passer rating, 11.8 percent off-target

N/Y: 30-for-49 for 316 yards (6.45 YPA), 0 TD, 2 INT – 63.0 passer rating, 14.3 percent off-target

Y/N: 25-for-43 for 263 yards (6.12 YPA), 0 TD, 1 INT – 83.3 passer rating, 6.9 percent off-target

Y/Y: 25-for-41 for 353 yards (8.61 YPA), 1 TD, 2 INT – 76.6 passer rating, 9.8 percent off-target

http://thedctimes.com/tag/tony-Romo sits to pee-vs-blitz/

Tony-Romo-Versus-Blitz-2010.jpg

Its not the 34 it's pressure. Haslett likes to blitz him. Remember last year in the Thanksgiving day game Haslett stopped applying pressure and Romo sits to pee and Bryant went off. 

I saw LL's tweets yesterday. He said the Broncos only rushed more than 4 8 times. Romo sits to pee was 2/5 passing and was sacked 3 times. He had one TD to Bryant when they were inside the 5 yard line. 

The Broncos were basically dropping into coverage all game and Romo sits to pee picked that apart. 

This is correct, and maybe the reason why we've tended to do well against him - our DL/LB has managed to get to him before he can kill our secondary. However, Witten has always been a problem, and with Bryant we just have to hope Hall has one of his good days in coverage. If Romo sits to pee has time to throw then our only chance is to make it a shootout, and our offense hasn't exactly lit it up this season.

Cool nuggets, but I'm not sure they will apply at all.

How many times are we going to be lined up in Okie, though?

I susepect they will put us in Nickel or worse just about every play.  We don't have the corners to cover Dez, Terrance Williams, AND Beasely, to go along with Whitten.

It's smart football to keep us out of okie.  The only way we get more situations like that is if Orakpo and Kerrigan force that type of personnel package by beating the 1 on 1 blocks.

Archived