Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Goal: 2-2 Over The Next Four

kleese

You can't play catch up or chase the wins we missed out on the first three weeks. We came out of the first quarter of the season at 1-3, which is a huge disappointment. But considering the circumstances surrounding RG's injury, I'm willing to give them a little bit of a mulligan on the first four games.

They showed some toughness yesterday and a touch of the confidence that got them 7 straight last year in Oakland on Sunday. Otherwise, I saw little else to make me believe we have a great run coming. But they survived it, got a much needed W, and can exhale a bit heading into a an even more much needed bye week.

Whenever a team has played poorly, you have to ask the question: Is this just who we are or is there legitimate room for improvement? I honestly think it is the latter. Similar to last year albeit probably not as dramatic of a shift.

The bye week is huge. I think it will heal a few bodies and maybe some psyche's as well.

If Dallas loses to Denver Sunday, I think we will be catching them at an awful time. They would be staring down a 3 game losing streak and recent history shows that Dallas is pretty good at staying alive and not falling too far behind. I don't expect us to win that game-- and I will be there so I obviously hope I'm wrong. But HOW we play/look will be very important to me. If we look like an extension of weeks 1-4, then I'll probably say the season is over. If we look better/sharper then even if we lose I think I'll still have some hope.

My dreams of 11-5 and a top 2 seed are long gone. That's over. I've shifted my focus to just wanting this to be a positive season. A season where at the end, we can say "Well ok, all things considered, that was pretty good."

I still think we likely need more time to work things out before we can make a real run.

My goal is to get out of this next quarter with two wins:

at Dallas

Chicago

at Denver

San Diego

You can chalk up an L in Denver, which sucks because I will be there as well. So we need to find a way to win 2 of the other 3, with the home games being most likely.

Get to the midway point at 3-5 and we will almost certainly still be in the hunt for the East.

At that point, excuses would be over and all remaining rust should be gone. If we still look "eh" after that, then that will just be who we are and we are likely looking at a 6ish win season. But that third quarter of the season includes a manageable road game in Minnesota and another shot at Philly. Go 3-1 there and you are sitting at 6-6 with four to go and I'd certainly take that.

I'm taking the longview of 2013 now having adjusted my goals and expectations. That is why I don't consider Dallas a "must win" unless your goal is still to win 10+ games and be a SB threat.

The Bears game in three weeks is the one shaping up for me as what might be a key to the season... And then if we get that one, San Diego.

I will also be at the Dallas game, so hopefully I can bring some good mojo. 

I think these are realistic goals.  Chicago and San Diego will be good games for us I think.  Three of the next four QBs we play have a propensity to turn the ball over (Romo sits to pee, Cutler, Rivers) so if we can force some turnovers I think we have a pretty good chance in all of those games.  As far as Denver is concerned...well...I just want to come out of that game healthy. 

I agree.  This next quarter determines the season for me.

If we go flat, then call it what it is and focus on improving Robert as a pocket passer so he can take his Aaron Rodgers-esque lumps in his first season as a starter (I believe Green Bay was 6-10, but his numbers were stellar as the season went on).  Let him mature in that aspect and start building on what can take place next year.

As far as Denver is concerned...well...I just want to come out of that game healthy. 

That game has the potentail to be 2007 @ the Patriots bad.  52-7... and I stayed up late in Iraq to watch the whole game just to see if we could score a touchdown :lol:

2-2 gets the team to 3-5.

The next 4 games after needs to be 3-1, which gets the team to 6-6 with 2 of those games being division games

5-6 going into December gives a shot.  Been saying I'd take that record for a while now. ;)

I don't see us beating Denver.  But I can see a rust-free RGIII and a company beating those other three teams.  I think we can go 3-1 with this next group of games, if (big if) we play approximately how we did during the Streak. 

I hope they don't take the bye off, but get their butts in to Redskin Park to fix this.  And haslett better spend every waking moment of the bye reviewing the travesty of the past few weeks (actually, credit where credit's due, the D has played a bit better the last two weeks).  Anyhow, I still want him gone. 

Its nice to have a win, finally.

why on earth would you aim for 2-2?  you aim for 4-0.  I do not get this thread at all.

Of course the goal is to win every game, but looking at this season in chunks, and the way the NFCE is shaping up, if this team can get to 3-5 it has a shot going into the last 8 games.

Hopefully the rust really comes off Robert in Dallas. It took AP about 6 weeks last year, and it took Brady about 6 weeks coming off his ACL injury 

The team? yes

from a fan's point of view? That's actually optimistic 

Personally, I don't see any victories in any of these next four but I'd kill for 2-2

Sadly, I agree. we could easily be 1-7 after the next 4 games...easily. 3-5 or better would be great!

Sadly, I agree. we could easily be 1-7 after the next 4 games...easily. 3-5 or better would be great!

Easily? That seems like a stretch. Very hard to lose four in a row in the NFL... Especially with two home games against non-great teams. Based on how we've looked so far, I'd say 1-3 is the most likely outcome. 2-2 probably becomes most likely if the team is able to make legitimate improvements.

We had an extremely weak secondary last season.  So, how are we this year?  Starting over from scratch... I actually think, and it pains me to say it, that our DBs were better last season...

That said, we are playing some very good offenses, so they'll pass all over us... but we'll get Rob Jackson and Jarvis Jenkins back after the BYE!!!1

Beating the Cowboys is so easy it's not even funny. As long as you don't give them any freebie points, they'll find a way to trip over their own feet and make fools of themselves. They under-coached, don't play smart, don't play above themselves, and they aren't tough. They've become slightly more opportunistic, but it's becoming a crutch for them because they're expecting it to some extent, and still don't truly capitalize on every opportunity. They don't exploit favorable match ups. Don't believe me? Put your WORST DB on Dez and watch the Cowboys try to meet a run quota, because they're brainwashed by morons who think stats by themselves win games. You could probably get away with playing 9 men on defense. Dallas wouldn't notice, because they don't have a clue.

Put your worst OL against Ware and he'll be a stone wall. Ware may get a token sack, but it won't cost you the game. Odds are you'll pick up the lost yardage on the very next pass play, because the secondary will play a mile off the WR, giving him a free release to run into a zone with more gaps than Swiss cheese.

I watch this team every week. They are very easy to beat. 

Odds are you (or Philly) will be leading the division by midseason.

Romo sits to pee is actually the least of your worries. Pressure him all you want. He's just going to dump it off. He won't throw many INTs this year, but he'll struggle to get to 3,500 yards AT THIS PACE. This team is so psychologically neutered, having a pansy for a coach, who, 4 years into this experiment, still doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Just attack a secondary that uses press corners for a soft zone and safeties who have the super-powered ability to make themselves INVISIBLE for an entire game. The pass rush won't get there enough, and they'll be the perfect bounce-back game for Griffin.

The Cowboys have mastered the art of losing and should put it in a jar and sell it to any team that wants to get rid of a lousy GM or coach.

Um, I dunno klese,

I'm not so sure we can chalk up an 'L' in Denver. This is one of those 'writing on the wall' games IMO which over-confidence can creep into the Denver players.

I know Manning will be playing good/great/spectacular, excellent [ I could go on ] but it IS a team game. If poor tackling issues can be cleaned up a bit, and if Haslett can go to more of a mixture of coverages, especially alot of man-to-man with floating help, the Broncos are more than beatable.

Of course an effective ground game will slow the scoring down and keep Manning off the field. It will take a fluid, disciplined team effort across the board, but I just have a gut feeling about the game; it will be the defining game of the Skins being back to last year's form.

Dallas isn't a polished team, but they're physical, no doubt. The best way to negate a physical team is to discourage them by hitting quick passes and not letting their defense and offense dictate how we play against them. This is a problem with the Skins right now, we're playing reactionary on both sides of the ball, waiting to see what they do and go from there; thats playing behind the 8-ball. They need to be the cue stick, and start being more aggressive, but not the same thing over and over; changing things up a little is how to catch them off guard, because physically the o-line cannot hold up against constant pressure/blitzes.

Chicago, eh, just let Hall know who he's going up against; he'll beat them by himself!

Easily? That seems like a stretch. Very hard to lose four in a row in the NFL... Especially with two home games against non-great teams. Based on how we've looked so far, I'd say 1-3 is the most likely outcome. 2-2 probably becomes most likely if the team is able to make legitimate improvements.

It's not as tough as you think considering Washington had to come back against a bad Oakland team playing it's second string QB, had back up LT, LG and lost it's best offensive player early in the game.

The next four teams are playing on a much higher level than Oakland with a lot more offensive talent. The Redskins O can't keep counting on defensive touchdowns to get them points.

It's not as tough as you think considering Washington had to come back against a bad Oakland team playing it's second string QB, had back up LT, LG and lost it's best offensive player early in the game.

The next four teams are playing on a much higher level than Oakland with a lot more offensive talent. The Redskins O can't keep counting on defensive touchdowns to get them points.

Law of averages dictates winning at least one of next four is highly likely--- not just for Redskins, but any team. Only exceptions would be the truly putrid teams like Jax.

Um, I dunno klese,

I'm not so sure we can chalk up an 'L' in Denver. This is one of those 'writing on the wall' games IMO which over-confidence can creep into the Denver players.

I know Manning will be playing good/great/spectacular, excellent [ I could go on ] but it IS a team game. If poor tackling issues can be cleaned up a bit, and if Haslett can go to more of a mixture of coverages, especially alot of man-to-man with floating help, the Broncos are more than beatable.

Of course an effective ground game will slow the scoring down and keep Manning off the field. It will take a fluid, disciplined team effort across the board, but I just have a gut feeling about the game; it will be the defining game of the Skins being back to last year's form.

Dallas isn't a polished team, but they're physical, no doubt. The best way to negate a physical team is to discourage them by hitting quick passes and not letting their defense and offense dictate how we play against them. This is a problem with the Skins right now, we're playing reactionary on both sides of the ball, waiting to see what they do and go from there; thats playing behind the 8-ball. They need to be the cue stick, and start being more aggressive, but not the same thing over and over; changing things up a little is how to catch them off guard, because physically the o-line cannot hold up against constant pressure/blitzes.

Chicago, eh, just let Hall know who he's going up against; he'll beat them by himself!

I'm conditioned to think Redskins at Dallas = loss. Look at 20 years of history. I fear that 2012 was just our 1 in 7 or whatever we've averaged.

Our best/only shot to win in Denver is for them to win their next three and enter that game 7-0 and on top of the world. Possible at that point that a little complaceny could set in and maybe law of averages sets in as well. Assuming we are playing better at that point perhaps we are able to revert to controlling the ground game and the clock. Keep it close, get a few lucky breaks, etc.

Our GOAL is 2-2? why wouldnt our goal be 4-0? who aims to lose games?

How many times do we need to go over this? My name is Ed Kleese... I own a business in Oklahoma City. My name is not Mike Shannahan and I am not the coach of the Washington Redskins.

I am a fan of the Redskins and try to look at things objectively and realistically. As a fan, I'd be content to be 3-5 and aim for a second half run.

No, I don't think it would be wise for Shany or RG3 to address the team and start the speech by saying it is cool to lose in Dallas on Sunday night.

Denver looks really tough right now.  Peyton is dialed in.  He looks as good as he ever has.  But, I give us a puncher's chance in that game.  I think the bye week will help us more than most do, and Griff will continue to get up to speed.

For me, the Dallas game is a must win if we wanna make any noise this year.  A win there, a couple of guys coming back on D, bye week healthy, two wins in a row, etc., I think could give us some much needed confidence.

But, I really think this all boils down to 10.  Let's hope he has some magic up his sleeve.

The only other thing that could help us in Denver is nasty weather. I know that can favor the offense, but it could do something to throw Manning off a little bit. Either way, you have to just chalk that game up as a L and just hope for the best.

With Dallas, we have to assume that we're the underdogs. They have a very sharp offense and an improved defense. Putting aside the "anything can happen" mentality, we will need to make major strides during our off-week to compete in that game.

Archived