Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk: Film Review: Packers Vs. Redskins: Defense

KDawg

I said it yesterday during the game, and I'll say it again here; I am getting sick of seeing every Redskins defender leave their feet and launching themselves like a missile at the legs of the runner!  It almost always results in the runner bouncing off and getting another 10-20 yards while the defender is now laying in a useless pile on the ground! Lavar even showed it this morning on NFL AM -- on ONE play we see THREE DBs leave their feet and launch themselves, and ALL three miss. And that's the norm. The defensive coaches APPARENTLY need to teach how to tackle with your arms with the feet planted on the ground!  Basic football has escaped almost our entire defense, especially our DBs!  It needs to stop!

Even college teams don't have live practices...especially in season.

You say you recognize the injury concern but I'm not quite sure you actually do--and that's not a slight against you I don't mean it to come off that way. A lot of periods during practice may be "thud" which is essentially the defense is responsible for wrapping up the ball carrier and then releasing him to finish his run...and this is about as physical as it will get in an nfl practice. A lot of the time you aren't even in "thud" you're in "tap" where a defender breaks down in front of the ball carrier and taps him below the waist with both hands.

You simply cannot risk injury with a 46 man game day roster.

edit: the guys are still running to the ball so don't take my post to mean they aren't hustling or competing, because they are. And the trenches you will see a lot more physical play during the week of practice during ALL periods, not just thud. As far as tackling is concerned though, there's not much you can do to practice it...that's what preseason is for. These are professional players, it's expected that they can tackle. If they cannot, they will not be in the nfl for very long.

Trust, I do understand and I'm familiar with the process of "wrapping up the ball carrier" in practice. Tackling in the college game isn't all that great either. When it's an obvious area of concern for your team, you need to tweak whatever drills you are doing in practice to fix it. I'd expect an NFL player to know how to tackle but it's obvious that many need a refresher.

I remember when I played, during 11 on 11 there would be a series or two when the coach would give the signal that this was "live". We'd get hype and play ball the way it's supposed to be played. I'm just saying. Call it what you want, but the secondary looks really soft out there and need an identity change.

Watched the Seahawks game yesterday.  Their corners were MAULING receivers off the line.  I was kind of surprised there weren't defensive holding calls they were so aggressive.

Result?  3 points SF.

With our corners playing 7 yards off the receiver has plenty of time to run a crossing pattern for a catch and run unopposed.  WHY do our coaches think the cushion works?

Weird that all of the talk out of training camp is that we were going to be playing more press man.  I saw it once yesterday and Amerson got beat by Jordy Nelson.  Nothing to be ashamed of.  If you are going to run it, keep running it so the kinks can be worked out.  There is no current rhyme or reason to anything the secondary is doing at the moment at all.

So what's the story/statement??

I wanna know more about this.

Guys, you know he just says things and dips out.

I'm assuming Mahons is right.  We'll probably know more at the presser, hopefully it involves a pink slip.

We've been going around and around on this for a year though... last year in week 3 Gruden said we always play zero coverage against the wild cat... first play is a TD pass by Mo Sanu...

Nothing new here.  Doesn't change the frustration level.

Man of the tweet thingie. 

Tweet him back or whatever you kids do and get this info ASAP!

Pressure man! Get to it!

Hail. 

You know he rarely answers questions.  He's one with the night and so on... :lol:

RE: Rambo being our best SAF

I think he's the most 'prepared' SAF because he received the bulk of the focus in the offeseason through training camp and preseason.

I don't have much to go by other then pre-season but I would have Pugh and Gumbs ahead of Rambo. I wanted to see them get more 1st team reps in preseason but it didn't happen. The staff spoke highly of Pugh last year but then it again it could've been typical coachspeak.

The way this defense is playing its only a matter of time before we'll see Pugh/Gumbs.

Dissappointed in the front 3.

It all starts upfront for a 34 and i've been dissapointed with the personnel and arrangement for awhile now.

We're already pissed at our defense, I doubt the Packers Offensive Coordinator is going to say anything we haven't already seen for ourselves.

I think it's more frustrating that a fellow NFL coach thinks little enough of you to call you out in the media like that, which sounds like that happened.  Marv Lewis did that last year after the Bengals game.

I said it yesterday during the game, and I'll say it again here; I am getting sick of seeing every Redskins defender leave their feet and launching themselves like a missile at the legs of the runner!  It almost always results in the runner bouncing off and getting another 10-20 yards while the defender is now laying in a useless pile on the ground! Lavar even showed it this morning on NFL AM -- on ONE play we see THREE DBs leave their feet and launch themselves, and ALL three miss. And that's the norm. The defensive coaches APPARENTLY need to teach how to tackle with your arms with the feet planted on the ground!  Basic football has escaped almost our entire defense, especially our DBs!  It needs to stop!

Guessing the story is going to be they knew exactly what we were running, because it wasn't hard to tell.

Well... well... well....

JsteelzHttr24-7 @JsteelznSkins 9m

Story gonna start to come out about our defense and people gone get pissed. Lets say we need to mix it up more, not good when they know

JsteelzHttr24-7 @JsteelznSkins 5m

Believe it was Tom Clements that made the statement

Don't see the big deal here. The whole point behind hurry up offense is to force defenses to play 'known' coverages.

RE: Rambo being our best SAF

I think he's the most 'prepared' SAF because he received the bulk of the focus in the offeseason through training camp and preseason.

I don't have much to go by other then pre-season but I would have Pugh and Gumbs ahead of Rambo. I wanted to see them get more 1st team reps in preseason but it didn't happen. The staff spoke highly of Pugh last year but then it again it could've been typical coachspeak.

The way this defense is playing its only a matter of time before we'll see Pugh/Gumbs.

I was counting on you to bring Gumbs up...

Unfortnately, my favorite college team is poor at tackling and my beloved Skins are as well.  I see a lot of the same complaints about poor technique, etc., and they are all valid.  Poor technique will certainly lead to poor tackling.

However, I have always felt like great tackling is less about technique and is more about attitude.  Some guys love to knock the slobber out of people, and some guys don't.  Period.  You watch the way Seattle's corners play, they can't wait to get into somebody.  Our DBs would rather hold hands and kiss.

Unfortnately, my favorite college team is poor at tackling and my beloved Skins are as well.  I see a lot of the same complaints about poor technique, etc., and they are all valid.  Poor technique will certainly lead to poor tackling.

However, I have always felt like great tackling is less about technique and is more about attitude.  Some guys love to knock the slobber out of people, and some guys don't.  Period.  You watch the way Seattle's corners play, they can't wait to get into somebody.  Our DBs would rather hold hands and kiss.

Often it's wanting to go for the big hit which leads to poor tackling technique. You see so many guys throwing a shoulder at a runner rather than trying to wrap up.

Haslett has showed us nothing in 4 years.  Nothing.

He shouldnt be here anymore, hes taken our once decent defense and turned it into garbage.  Then, we draft mostly defensive players for him the past couple of years to try to beef it up, and its still garbage.  Imagine what a Wade Phillips could do with Orakpo and Kerrigan?  Look at what Pete Carroll is doing with Bruce Irvin and Clemons etc.

Im sorry, and I know some people will say I know nothing about football and let the coaches coach and blah blah, but Jim Haslett sucks.  It seems like its the same defense week in and week out. We always play 10 yards off the ball and the Danny Amendolas of the world just eat us alive.  Yesteerday it was James Jones.  ITs just getting old.  Fire Haslett, offer Wade Phillips enough money to get away from Houston and come turn this D around.  He turned the Texans around in 1 year and they were a terrible defense.

again this week they showed haslett up in the booth, why is he up there? never really paid attention but i always thought he was down on the sidelines where he should be. i'm thinking this is making communication hard. either way im so done with this guy.

It's easier to see the field and make adjustments from the booth. Adds to the irony that adjustments aren't being made huh?

I think coordinators should be in the booth more often than they are, personally.

It's easier to see the field and make adjustments from the booth. Adds to the irony that adjustments aren't being made huh?

I think coordinators should be in the booth more often than they are, personally.

I always thought, of the ones that aren't in the booth, they want more input/feedback from players about what they're experiencing on the field.

Generally, you seem to like our front 7, but so far the teams we've played have had much more success running the ball against us than the other team they've played.  SF has a really good front 7, but SD?

Maybe it is the out coached thing too.

I wouldn't say I "like" our front seven. I would, however, say that they aren't the major issue at hand for us. Our DL isn't great, but we're missing two key pieces, and I still think we're missing a nose despite how good of a player Barry Cofield is. London may have even lost a step. But still, I don't think our front seven is anywhere near as bad as the first two weeks would make you believe.

Philadelphia's packaged plays pulled backers out of the box fairly often with us accounting for the pass as well. Green Bay was shredding us through the air and the ground game became a secondary concern for us.

I also believe our front seven is more easily fixed than our secondary.

I really think our front seven is a bit nervous about coverage and they're hesitant in getting to their proper run reads a bit. Hence why London has been caught out of his gap a few times. We'll be able to tell more as the season goes on... But I suspect coaching also plays a large role.

I wouldn't say I "like" our front seven. I would, however, say that they aren't the major issue at hand for us. Our DL isn't great, but we're missing two key pieces, and I still think we're missing a nose despite how good of a player Barry Cofield is. London may have even lost a step. But still, I don't think our front seven is anywhere near as bad as the first two weeks would make you believe.

Philadelphia's packaged plays pulled backers out of the box fairly often with us accounting for the pass as well. Green Bay was shredding us through the air and the ground game became a secondary concern for us.

I also believe our front seven is more easily fixed than our secondary.

I really think our front seven is a bit nervous about coverage and they're hesitant in getting to their proper run reads a bit. Hence why London has been caught out of his gap a few times. We'll be able to tell more as the season goes on... But I suspect coaching also plays a large role.

Thanks!

Since you only give out grades to the Redskins, it is difficult to sometimes to put them in much context.

I'd certainly agree that the DBs are a bigger issue than the front 7, and some of your other points (e.g. a true NT would be nice).

haven't seen this anywhere yet but does anyone know why Haslett has been up in the box rather than on the field like in years past?

Probably to get a better view of the field to be able to see whats happening and make adjustments. Most co-ordinators work from the booth rather than the sideline. That of course makes the lack of in game adjustment even more baffling. 

Archived