Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre Game Thread - General Discussion For Redskins At Packers 9/15/13

RandyHolt

i think our defense will play a little better considering we are playing more of a conventional NFL offense. Packers O-line isnt that great so i think we should generate a decent pass rush. Aaron rodgers is going to do what aaron rodgers does week in and week out. If the offense shows up and doesnt poop da bed like they did against philly in 1st half skins will be just fine

We can't get down early. If we can score quick we can start blitzin the hell outta Rogers. Odds are Haslett will employ some form of zone coverage that will always leave someone open causing me to scream at my QB. 

Wildcard is MW, if he comes back, and is half as good as he is hyped at times, we may have a salvageable secondary. I do however expect Finley and Nelson to go off on us. 

Need to also establish a run game in this one. I suspect GB will pack the box and dare RG III to beat em, thinking he isn't quite right yet (which is a fair gameplan I suppose). So Robert has to channel some of his 2nd half performance last week. 

Lastly, more than anything...WTF @ the penalties, I didn't remember our O-Line being that penalized last season. Seems its been this way the entire preseason and monday night was no better. I don't get the regression here. 

cap money back in 2014 is huge

Problem is we will use most of it resigning out own guys. We have a bunch of guys in their last year or on one year contracts. Jumbo has it right big picture for the immediate future is we have to be 2-2 going into the bye. We can suffer a loss her as long as its a competitive loss and Griffin gets more game experience and works out what was ailing him in the first half of the eagles game. I still think the Packers are beatable if we come out and execute, but it won't be the end of the world or season if we lose a tough game at Lambeau. This team since the arrival of last years rookies has finally shown heart and always fights to the end, I expect them to bounce back this game and either squeak out a win or have a close loss.

We can't get down early. If we can score quick we can start blitzin the hell outta Rogers. Odds are Haslett will employ some form of zone coverage that will always leave someone open causing me to scream at my QB. 

Wildcard is MW, if he comes back, and is half as good as he is hyped at times, we may have a salvageable secondary. I do however expect Finley and Nelson to go off on us. 

Need to also establish a run game in this one. I suspect GB will pack the box and dare RG III to beat em, thinking he isn't quite right yet (which is a fair gameplan I suppose). So Robert has to channel some of his 2nd half performance last week. 

Lastly, more than anything...WTF @ the penalties, I didn't remember our O-Line being that penalized last season. Seems its been this way the entire preseason and monday night was no better. I don't get the regression here. 

I expect BW to either have another freak accident in warmup or only play 1 quarter. Hope for the best expect the worst.

Week 2 is too early to call a game a "must win" but needless to say it would be huge to get a victory.

I knew the odds were tough but during the broadcast last night on NFL Network the following was mentioned ---

SInce 1990 when the playoff format was expanded, teams that start 0-2 in a season have only a 12% chance of making the playoffs.

Yes it's possible the Skins could buck that trend as last year showed they are more than capable of running off long winning streaks and reversing course of a disappointing season.

But the reason last season stands out is because runs like that rarely happen in the NFL.

Being faced with only a 12% of making the playoffs only two weeks into the regular season would be a daunting task to say the least so hopefully the Skins are ready to play much better and get back on the winning track...

I don't harbor any hate for the Pack like I do the eagles.  That is why I was calling for a blowout for the good guys. 

This week, hatred has subsided, so I look at the game level headed.  We can win this one - but the WHOLE team has to show up.  We cannot afford Lacy getting hot.  He will steamroll us if he gets in a groove.  We need to maul their O line and keep pressuring Rodgers.  He is as elite as it gets in the NFL, up there with the best ever. He will make plays.  The Pack defense can be run on, despite what we saw last week vs the 49ers.  We need the RO early and set the tone to keep Matthews at bay and to open up our PA passes - where Griff is money.

Very winnable. 

Week 2 is too early to call a game a "must win" but needless to say it would be huge to get a victory.

Well FWIW, after the Packers lost at the '9ers, and knowing they'd be facing the prospect of 0-2 in front of their own fans which all things being equal isn't going to happen against the majority of teams, let alone this one; with the prospect of Bush and Megatron against this O the week after and Detroit's defensive front; I had Monday night pre-kiick as a 'must win' game. 

Now, I'm looking at the Raiders to kick start our season. The next two weeks fill my with zero optimism for a W at all. 

Hail. 

I don't harbor any hate for the Pack like I do the eagles.  That is why I was calling for a blowout for the good guys. 

This week, hatred has subsided, so I look at the game level headed.  We can win this one - but the WHOLE team has to show up.  We cannot afford Lacy getting hot.  He will steamroll us if he gets in a groove.  We need to maul their O line and keep pressuring Rodgers.  He is as elite as it gets in the NFL, up there with the best ever. He will make plays.  The Pack defense can be run on, despite what we saw last week vs the 49ers.  We need the RO early and set the tone to keep Matthews at bay and to open up our PA passes - where Griff is money.

Very winnable. 

Based on what you saw, what honestly makes you think Morris can have success where Gore didn't? Packers DL is really damn good this year. Johnny Jolly coming back as strong as he has has been huge.

As for all of the blitzing comments:

Rodgers has been the best quarterback vs. the blitz since 2009, with a league-high 114.7 passer rating. He's also first in yards per attempt (9.96) and third in touchdown passes (33) in that time.

And going against this secondary, it could be a long day for the Redskins D if they do blitz a lot.

Yep, if Griffin isn't what he was last year, someone will post that "enough is enough, it's time to play Cousins" and be dead serious about it.

He's going to get better every game.  There is no need for threads like that.  Hopefully he'll be good enough for us to win this Sunday.

What I want to see here, even in a loss, is a team with focus, energy, proper execution to their best standards to date, and all the appearances of solid coaching for 60 minutes of play. All the individual stories/event can play out as they will, but for me it's just that basic for right now.

And a significant decrease in turnovers and penalties. That alone should keep us within striking distance.

This is a big game for both teams.  I'm hoping that the Packers will do what we did on Monday and come out a little tight.  I like our chances in this game, I think Al Mo has a nice day for us.

I predicted 10-6 again for us this year, being the homer that I am, but I think there are a few reasons that I could see us around .500 this year.  First, RG3 isn't healthy yet.  Second, I think the relative strength of the NFC is up this year and there are a lot of good football teams out there.  Third, our schedule is brutal.  Fourth, refer to number one.

Also, the streak we went on last year included several tight games that could've gone either way.   It's not like we were blowing the doors off of other teams.  I'm not saying we didn't have a damn good football team, I'm just saying that I don't think the 7-0 run was as "dominant" as it appeared in the W-L column.

I'm still a homer, and I'm still predicting 10-6.  Let's go get this one.

I knew the odds were tough but during the broadcast last night on NFL Network the following was mentioned ---

SInce 1990 when the playoff format was expanded, teams that start 0-2 in a season have only a 12% chance of making the playoffs.

Yes it's possible the Skins could buck that trend as last year showed they are more than capable of running off long winning streaks and reversing course of a disappointing season.

But the reason last season stands out is because runs like that rarely happen in the NFL.

Being faced with only a 12% of making the playoffs only two weeks into the regular season would be a daunting task to say the least so hopefully the Skins are ready to play much better and get back on the winning track...

Actually, it's a little worse.. the exact percentage is 11.6% of teams making the playoffs since 1990. :( Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your optimism. :D

This is a big game for both teams. I'm hoping that the Packers will do what we did on Monday and come out a little tight. I like our chances in this game, I think Al Mo has a nice day for us.

I predicted 10-6 again for us this year, being the homer that I am, but I think there are a few reasons that I could see us around .500 this year. First, RG3 isn't healthy yet. Second, I think the relative strength of the NFC is up this year and there are a lot of good football teams out there. Third, our schedule is brutal. Fourth, refer to number one.

Also, the streak we went on last year included several tight games that could've gone either way. It's not like we were blowing the doors off of other teams. I'm not saying we didn't have a damn good football team, I'm just saying that I don't think the 7-0 run was as "dominant" as it appeared in the W-L column.

I'm still a homer, and I'm still predicting 10-6. Let's go get this one.

A main part of that streak was we didn't leave points on the board or give away cheap points via turnovers. If we don't give up a safety and make the field goal Monday, we kick the extra point and it's tied at the end. Game is probably totally different then but I'm sure everyone knows this and whar i mean. Gotta play clean football and score when we have the chance. This team can and will beat most teams if they can do that.

Actually, it's a little worse.. the exact percentage is 11.6% of teams making the playoffs since 1990. :( Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your optimism. :D

Ha good one - that is one lesson I remember from my early days of accounting.

Round down to make losses not look so bad but ALWAYS round up when the number benefits you - that applies to football and many other real life situations  :D

I am always wondering about the step in play of teams that "don't want to go 0-2 at home"  Maybe there is something to it. If so, can we quantify how much harder it will be for us to win. Maybe they will they give 110% :)

Had they eeked out a win vs the 49ers, I think they are going to play us just as tough. I expect no team to ease up week to week.  

Of course, we don't want to go 0-2 either. At home or on the road. It does not matter where, no Skins fan or players want that.

I would kind of rather a team be disjointed, disheveled, a mess coming off a loss, instead of dominating winning every game before we march into town.  That way during the week, maybe I sleep a little better.  Truth is, I expect every game to be tough.

A groin for Kai. Bah that stinks. And my fantasy team is getting crushed with injuries to boot. We should have known something was up with the rare miss on Monday.

Speculating completely, I wonder if his work on kickoffs had a hand in this.

I have more than thought about this. I wonder if adding the extra distance to his kickoffs has messed up his field goal stroke. He said he followed through across his body which is what caused the miss though. He also nailed everything in preseason so it's probably just my battered redskins fan syndrome causing worry. I mean its about time we had a kicker we could rely on right???? Please don't do this to us. Sore groins just don't go away over night. I say we bring in potter anyways to do kickoffs, don't need forbath trying to blast kickoffs deep we need him kicking and making field goals as we will need all the points we can get.

Archived