Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre Game Thread - General Discussion For Redskins At Packers 9/15/13

RandyHolt

In trying to keep with the No New Threads for every Independent Thought Alarm sounding, I am creating a general discussion thread to prevent the need to create a separate thread for what is really one topic, the Redskins game on Sunday. While there are many great discussions going on in other threads, I also like a diverse thread yet is still focused on the task at hand.  

--------------------------------------

The Packers have some injury issues. They have a big stout DL ready to be tested running sideline to sideline. Moar Jordan Reed. Maybe he will join Hank on your fantasy team next week. I want to see Merriweather and Brandon Jenkins get snaps this week, and expect Biggers at Corner if they are going to be going 4 wide.  

I hope Haslet directs some of his presser anger at Rodgers, and that Kyle goes over the top with Burnet limping; consider varying his run first approach to not be predictable on our first play. I am thinking over, only I see rain showers likely and expect Kyle to stick to his guns via a heavy dose of running, and protect RGIII who got hit too much last week. If Morris does not get 20+ carries I sure hope Helu gets more than 1 this week. I would like it to be a priority to keep Mathews off of RGIII. Sprint out away from him, double / chip him. Design plays that use his aggressiveness against him. Do not let him ruin our Sunday.  Don't defer, receive. 

Please add your thoughts on the game. Thanks. 

Last week Matthews had a "Kill the QB, no matter the consequence" mentality. I don't want to see that against Griffin on a slick field. 

And being as our O front is nowhere near what the '9ers is, combined with 10's poor awareness of what's around him in the pocket; if the schemes as it was Monday the poor dude could take some terrible punishment. 

Not looking forward to the next two weeks at all. 

Hail.

*Edit*

Orakpo going against a 4th round rookie tackle who's part of a makeshift line almost as bad as ours is of major interest to me too. 

You want to be classed as elite and a contender for DPOTY 98? Time to stand up and be counted!

This game will be won on defense.  The offense is going to get their **** together.  How many points they will score remains to be seen.

I expect the Packers to employ a short passing game with the occasional long pass to back up the defense.  They did this last week and it worked out pretty well.  They have the rookie at LT and youth all over their offensive line (which played very well against San Fran, probably the best front 7 in football).  We aren't too far behind San Fran as far as the front 7 goes, but our secondary is young and haven't played together... so I expect the defense to put pressure on Rodgers early but I expect a lot of one and two step drops to force the secondary to tackle the players.

Sam Bradford has beaten us a couple of times with this very game plan.  Every time I think of a bad o-line that our front 7 should have their way with I think of the Rams... and they dinked and dunked Amendola's jersey right into Canton, OH last year.  So... rush the passer and press the receivers to throw off the timing.  And TACKLE!

I agree with everyoen in this thread.  Keep Rogers under duress for 4 quarters. 

Offensively we can't turn the ball over, you have to protect the football and execute the gameplan.  When you turn the ball over and the opposing team makes points out of it, the gameplan goes out the window. 

Our biggest week 1 problem on D was being fooled and poor tackling.

Being fooled: Packers are not going to run read-option exotic trick play looks. Green Bay has a better QB and WR, but we will at least be able to concentrate on them.

Poor tackling: Eddie Lacy is NOT Lesean McCoy. Heck, Adria Peterson isn't Lesean McCoy when it comes to shiftiness. We seem to do well against bruising RBs and struggle with the quick cut n go guys (not excited for Reggie Bush next week). 

And being as our O front is nowhere near what the '9ers is, combined with 10's poor awareness of what's around him in the pocket; if the schemes as it was Monday the poor dude could take some terrible punishment. 

Not looking forward to the next two weeks at all. 

Hail.

*Edit*

Orakpo going against a 4th round rookie tackle who's part of a makeshift line almost as bad as ours is of major interest to me too. 

You want to be classed as elite and a contender for DPOTY 98? time to stand up and be counted!

GHH I always agree with your Orakpo assessment, and this is spot on. If he's as great as most make him out to be, he should have consistent pressure and his sacks + holding penalties should be >3

I don't think our defense will be the problem.  The front 7 was generating pressure on Vick. The main concern for me will be the offense until RGIII shows he is 100% back.  I am willing to take the necessary lumps required for him to be back but it means we might be losing games during the process.

I think the front 7 can get pressure on Rodgers, the question is what can the secondary do to contain and avoid giving up big plays on the back end when Rodgers does get protection?

GHH I always agree with your Orakpo assessment, and this is spot on. If he's as great as most make him out to be, he should have consistent pressure and his sacks + holding penalties should be >3

Absolutely man. I believe it was DC9 that has mooted if he didn't wreck havoc and have upwards of 3 sacks this week he'd start making calls. I wouldn't go that far, but there can be NO excuses to not TOTALLY dominate Bakhtiari.

If you want to be held to the highest standard, then you will be. That starts with destroying the rook. 

Hail. 

If Orakpo or anyone plans on getting sacks, it is going to come down to Haslett and his pre/post snap looks he gives Rodgers as well as our secondary. 

Rodgers is a master of the quick drop and release to the open man before defenders even have time to get close. He can though, if confused and/or WR are covered hold onto the ball far too long and that is really our only shot of getting to him. 

I'm just big picture right now. I had projected a loss here before the season, as I had called the SF v GB win that came to pass, and saw GB getting this one even if we had looked good against the iggles.

What I want to see here, even in a loss, is a team with focus, energy, proper execution to their best standards to date, and all the appearances of solid coaching for 60 minutes of play. All the individual stories/event can play out as they will, but for me it's just that basic for right now.

I'm just big picture right now. I had projected a loss here before the season, as I had called the SF v GB win that came to pass, and saw GB getting this one even if we had looked good against the iggles.

What I want to see here, even in a loss, is a team with focus, energy, proper execution to their best standards to date, and all the appearances of solid coaching for 60 minutes of play. All the individual stories/event can play out as they will, but for me it's just that basic for right now.

Exactly my thoughts (which should probably make you reconsider the confidence that you have in yours  :P ).

It's Week 2.  We've got rust being knocked off and the history of both RGIII and Morris have shown that this past week is an anomoly.  As RGIII put it, he doesn't throw picks (he threw four in the regular season last year and two on Monday), Morris doesn't fumble (three times last year, two times on Monday), and Kai doesn't miss kicks (one last year after setting an NFL record for most consecutive field goals for a rookie the year before).  I'd rather get that all out in one game.

This week I just want them to do better.  I had chalked this up as a loss even before last year began (since we knew that we were playing the NFC North this year), so a win would be a bonus.  Do better, be like last year, and I'll be fine, my wife will not avoid me for three days, and the cats won't lose six of nine lives out of fear of how I may act.  Yes, I have run out of my meds. :(

Blitz all day and play tight man coverage. If you get beat you get beat but we cant let Rodgers drop back and have all day to throw.

I'm with you.  I think we need to play press and single high or two over and rotate that with cover 3 on occasion.  But we're going to need to bring the heat and tackle.  Tackle tackle tackle.  Limit YAC.

Absolutely man. I believe it was DC9 that has mooted if he didn't wreck havoc and have upwards of 3 sacks this week he'd start making calls. I wouldn't go that far, but there can be NO excuses to not TOTALLY dominate Bakhtiari.

If you want to be held to the highest standard, then you will be. That starts with destroying the rook. 

Hail. 

bakhtiari_david.jpg

^^^ that is the 4th round rookie LT who is going to be standing between Orakpo and Rodgers on Sunday.  That guy.

If he can't push that guy back into Rodgers we need to pick up the phone.

That said, and as I mentioned above... the Packers did a GREAT job on short pass (3-step) to protect this kid against San Fran and Aldon Smith was neutralized fairly well.

The 49ers do not have to Pro-Bowl OLBs that are the caliber of these two (98,91) though.  But they do have a veteran secondary that can tackle and their Rookie Safety Reid from LSU saved their bacon on numerous occasions. 

We have to force quick pass, we have to jam the WRs to throw off the timing, and we have to tackle.  I'm confident the offense is going to get their **** together this week, but to me this is the only defensive strategy that'll work unless we come out balling on offense and we get a two score lead... then we can see what this defense is all about ;)

It's still a young season after this game, but I don't want to be like the Nats in that regard.

These are really good points but I honestly think we win this game unless there is a hangover from MNF.  Based on the fanbase there may be, lol.  But we have the players and the scheme to beat Green Bay, we just have to execute it. 

These are really good points but I honestly think we win this game unless there is a hangover from MNF.  Based on the fanbase there may be, lol.  But we have the players and the scheme to beat Green Bay, we just have to execute it. 

I like where you're at, and I can see it. But frankly, knowing this board/fanbase as I do (which I'd suggest in reality is a fairly typical fanbase by logic, evidence and experience), I thought we over-hyped ourselves notably last year, and I did it myself, more than usual, in buying into all the off season "cheery happy times."

I'm not saying that first game is defining us at this point, or invalidating all our optimism from last years streak (it was a streak, remember ;)), I'm saying now they have to show me the iggles performance was an aberration before I start randomly crying again in awkward settings.

I like where you're at, and I can see it. But frankly, knowing this board/fanbase as I do (which I'd suggest in reality is a fairly typical fanbase by logic, evidence and experience), I thought we over-hyped ourselves notably last year, and I did it myself, more than usual, in buying into all the off season "cheery happy times."

I'm not saying that first game is defining us at this point, or invalidating all our optimism from last years streak (it was a streak, remember ;)), I'm saying now they have to show me the iggles performance was an aberration before I start randomly crying again in awkward settings.

:lol:  got it.  I am picking up what you are putting down, boss.

On Friday just before noon, though, I'm pretty optimistic.  I was never optimistic about this Eagles game for all of the reasons that were on display.

Not to veer too far off topic, and I don't believe I have it anywhere on record here, but I actually predicted that we'd get an early defensive TD and it would set us back, lol.

I definitely agree we need to be more of the consistent team versus the streaky team before we can start to really feel that next step has been taken.

That's where I'm at too. I pegged this as a 8- or 9-win team since the off-season. With 10 recovering, the schedule, and the cap penalty still leaving holes on this team...I didn't see a linear climb past 10 wins at all.

If we can look good in Green Bay and right the ship by the bye week, I think we can still have an exciting and critical year in the team's overall development. With another season under 10's belt and an off-season to fortify our roster, I would look for a jump in 2014.

Well considering when I looked at the schedule I penciled this one in as a loss even assuming RGIII was healthy.

It's the Packers home opener, and I assumed they would lose to 49ers on the road, they would be desperate not to start 0-2, I thought we'd be 1-0 too so some of the variables are different than what I initially predicted already, but that is how football goes.

That's where I'm at too. I pegged this as a 8- or 9-win team since the off-season. With 10 recovering, the schedule, and the cap penalty still leaving holes on this team...I didn't see a linear climb past 10 wins at all.

If we can look good in Green Bay and right the ship by the bye week, I think we can still have an exciting and critical year in the team's overall development. With another season under 10's belt and an off-season to fortify our roster, I would look for a jump in 2014.

cap money back in 2014 is huge

Get out of my head you!  :lol:

Hail. 

Get out of my head you!  :lol:

Hail. 

I also don't want to sound like a quitter. I still believe our team is developing well and coming together for an extended run. I also expect them to end 2013 a better team than the one that ended 2012. I just think they will need a few more weeks to really shake off the rust so the record won't indicate that.

In order to avoid a losing record though, I think they need to resemble the 2012 team by the bye week. They play too many tough teams. While I don't think 7-9 or 8-8 is a disaster, who knows what a 5-11 season would do to the psyche of the team, the coach's extension, etc. Being a double-digit loss team would certainly call a few things into question.

Archived