Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Diehard Otis

Here we go.  

This may well stir some things up, but I want to put this topic front and center; I sincerely believe that starting RIGHT NOW until about 2020 or so, The Washington Redskins have entered The Championship Window phase of our football program's development.  

That's seven years.  In my estimation, given how the events from last year contribute to the circumstances we find presently, it is entirely reasonable that we as Redskins fans can expect our team to reach and/or Win a Super Bowl within this time frame.  Are these reasonable expectations?  I say you're damn right they are, and here's why:

1)WE HAVE A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK - If there's one thing we've learned over watching the past 10 or so Super Bowl Champions hoist the trophy, a legit top echelon QB is the mandatory requirement.  Check.

2)We have a sound Organization - The days of league watchers, press, other fanbases, & rival teams laughing at us for our rudderless, meandering ways (like folks do with Oakland) are over.  We've gotten our act together in-house & it has started paying Dividends on the field.  Look at the past 10 or so Champs.  Almost without exception, each season's Super Bowl Champion boasted a sound organization.  Check.

3)We have a nucleus of quality, young talent that has already experienced success together & is hungry - This is important; we've got key players at numerous positions that we can Win with for years already.  Is the roster perfect?  Hell no.  But in today's NFL, it doesn't have to be.  The core we have right now is capable of achieving great things.  Check.

4)We already have the strongest team in our Division - The watershed moment for Washington's Football Program was Winning The NFC East in RGIII's rookie year!  His & Alfred Morris's arrival in town signified a sea change in this team's performance.  Joe Gibbs, back in The Heydays always said that legitimate Super Bowl Contention always began with Winning your Division.  Times have changed, but there's still a lot of validity in that statement.  And since we are the reigning NFC East Champs......Check.

Look, I'm not trying to write a book, but simply making a point.  The time has finally come.  Just to be clear, I am not talking Super Bowl or bust this year, or anything like that.  But what I am saying is that the time has come where Washington should be expected to be in the mix for the NFC Crown every year going forward.  

My personal expectation this season is for The Redskins to Win the NFC East again and Win a game in the Playoffs.  However, the team has taught us that anything is possible, so a very strong season is within the realm of possibility. Within The Window however, I expect nothing less than a Super Bowl Championship -- all of the Elite Quarterbacks have accomplished this.  We have a guy that can be every bit as good.  So in his career, that's what is expected.

So ExtremeSkins, where are we on this?  I have given you my views (however misguided they may be) & I truly want yours.  There are a great number of minds on this forum that I deeply respect & would love to know where you stand.  Are we in our Championship Window or not?  Why or why not?  What should the ultimate expectation of this team's run be?  Let's discuss it.

A very well thought out and articulate post. It's your second point (a sound organization) that, to me, is most important. There was a time in my life after Snyder bought the team that I thought we'd never climb out of the quagmire of egregious mismanagement. His maturation over the last few years however reveals to me that he's willing to swallow his pride in an effort to bring back to DC a winning team. We seemingly have an evolution of a front office dedicated to rebuilding a franchise rather than constructing teams around suspect drafts, heartless individualism, and overpaid, over-the-hill players. HTTR!

Great OP.  I think 2 rings in the next 5-7 years is a totally reasonable possibility.  It's hard to have expectations these days in the NFL. 

One thing I would add, is that for the first time in a long time, we're in a position next year to draft/add via FA players that either pose a threat or eliminate a threat to other teams in the conference.... not just the division. 

And excellent point about the roster not being perfect.  I call it the "70% solution".  It's almost impossible to have stacked rosters (the 100% solution) with the way FA works these days (though San Fran is pretty close) but if you're a team that has it's **** together to the tune of 70% (and you have a quarterback) you have a seat at the table.

What is really great to look at with this team's championship window is that we have gotten to this point without $36MM in cap.  Now, we are well set up to keep more of our own talents and maybe get one or two pieces that we need to plug in.

While I expect this year's team to do very well, next year's team could be close to unstoppable.

A very well thought out and articulate post. It's your second point (a sound organization) that, to me, is most important. There was a time in my life after Snyder bought the team that I thought we'd never climb out of the quagmire of egregious mismanagement. His maturation over the last few years however reveals to me that he's willing to swallow his pride in an effort to bring back to DC a winning team. We seemingly have an evolution of a front office dedicated to rebuilding a franchise rather than constructing teams around suspect drafts, heartless individualism, and overpaid, over-the-hill players. HTTR!

Well I grew up in the DC area, but was living out of town when he bought the team.  From afar, I always got the impression that he was trying to Win.  When I moved back (during the Zorn thing) I saw, & was frankly surprised by, the amount of ill will he had built up over the years.  I'll just say this; it seems that it took some time, but Snyder finally figured it out.  Knock on wood, but I don't expect him to do any more unproductive meddling.  

We've got a good group in place.  It's time for them to achieve.

Great OP.  I think 2 rings in the next 5-7 years is a totally reasonable possibility.  It's hard to have expectations these days in the NFL. 

One thing I would add, is that for the first time in a long time, we're in a position next year to draft/add via FA players that either pose a threat or eliminate a threat to other teams in the conference.... not just the division. 

And excellent point about the roster not being perfect.  I call it the "70% solution".  It's almost impossible to have stacked rosters (the 100% solution) with the way FA works these days (though San Fran is pretty close) but if you're a team that has it's **** together to the tune of 70% (and you have a quarterback) you have a seat at the table.

100% agreed.  These days, I live in Ravens territory.  And believe me, there was plenty and belly-achin' from the Baltimorons about the run defense getting shredded, OC Cam Cameron's play calling (a loooota ****in about that), & of course Flacco.  And all they did was Win The Super Bowl!

The squad doesn't have to be perfect to do it. 

I'm actually on board with this lol...originally I thought I'd be saying things like "Let's see how we do this year first" and stuff like that there. But you're absolutely right in that being in the playoff mix year after year and seeing at [b[least[/b] one or two years with serious Super Bowl possibilities will be our reality. I have zero doubts about RG3 being a legitimate franchise QB and having all the intangibles needed to lead his team to a SB. I have zero doubts in the Shanahan/Allen front office. I have zero doubts in our scouting department. I have zero doubts in Kyle as an OC. Ok, I do have some doubts about Haslett lol...and R. Morris as well.

A good portion of that 36 Million is going to Orakpo/Fred Davis among other starters on D that are in contract seasons, assuming they resign.

The hope is, guys like Hall & Wilson will be faded out over next season or 2 if Amerson turns out to be legit, and maybe someone else steps up too.

Definitely will be interesting to see what happens during the first offseason post-BS Salary Cap penalty.

I'm actually on board with this lol...originally I thought I'd be saying things like "Let's see how we do this year first" and stuff like that there. But you're absolutely right in that being in the playoff mix year after year and seeing at [b[least[/b] one or two years with serious Super Bowl possibilities will be our reality. I have zero doubts about RG3 being a legitimate franchise QB and having all the intangibles needed to lead his team to a SB. I have zero doubts in the Shanahan/Allen front office. I have zero doubts in our scouting department. I have zero doubts in Kyle as an OC. Ok, I do have some doubts about Haslett lol...and R. Morris as well.

Yes Califan007, that's the thing: so many of us have expressed cautious optimism with this team & where they're headed.  Screw that.  Let's go ahead a call it as we see it.  Everything is in place, so let's set the bar where it belongs.  We want a Lombardi!  These guys can deliver on that.

Well-said!  Very articulate and organized way of saying what at least I, if not all of us are thinking.  It's not being over-optimistic or bullish.  It's very sound observations about the development of the franchise under this front office.  They are doing a hell of a job.

But just to play devil's advocate...look where we were in Week 9 last year.  Sitting at 3-6, and really considering if we should move on from Shanahan.  As quickly as it comes, it can go just as quickly.

I choose to stay cautiously optimistic, but I can't disagree with a single one of your points.

A good portion of that 36 Million is going to Orakpo/Fred Davis among other starters on D that are in contract seasons, assuming they resign.

I don`t see the Redskins resigning Fred Davis. They drafted Reed very high.... they have Paulsen signed for 3 years. And they can get Niles Paul cheap after this year too. Resigning Davis at a premium just doesn`t make a lot of sense. Having 4 TE`s on the roster is fine this year because altogether the position is still inexpensive. Reed should be ready for next year to resume his role.

TheSubmittedOne -- Thanks a lot man.  I really do appreciate that.  For years I've lurked on the board & have read many of yours (& other members' posts).  I guess I was ready to add my voice to the mix.  But most importantly, I wanted to know what the temperature on the board was on this issue.

To me, it all hinges on the knee. We have the potential. Can that right knee hold up? I sure hope so.

In the large picture, I don't think that's true. I think that, eventually, we will have a team that isn't player-centric. I would like to think that our organization will continue to advance to the point where we contend for championships regardless of who is under center. Griffin is a big piece of the current puzzle, but a sound front office and well-run organization is able to replace even great players and continue winning.

Edit: To the OP, fantastic post.

Agree with all points

The most important factor is number 2, a sound organization.

Besides the injury drama this past offseason, the organization from top to bottom is in perfect harmony with what it is trying to accomplish on the football field.

The right players who fit the scheme and are hard workers have been drafted. The right FA's have been brought in (no more Haynesworth's and Coles, but guys like Coefield and Garcon instead)

The big thing is getting through this year with another successful season, i.e 10+ wins and a playoff win, and I will feel real good going forward. In the 2015 draft (and who knows possibly the 2014 draft) the team will have a first round pick back. The cap, while the rippled effects will be felt for years, will no longer be the hindrance it was the past 2 years.

Anything can happen going forward, but I am hopeful that next 7 years are the exact opposite of what we have experienced lately 

How much are they gonna take up next year, though?...I have no worries about Allen structuring a contract that doesn't hinder or strap the Skins in any real way.

Agree.  I keep seeing posts that we're anywhere within 30-40 million under the cap next year.  Even if we re-signed all our free agents, they won't take up more than half the cap room.

Love the OP and I agree completely. As Bob Dylan said, "For the times they are a-changin."

It starts with this season though. Let's show the league and leave no doubt by putting together back to back division titles, get into the payloffs(is now) and see how we stack up against the game's best. 

As the OP touched on, with the leadership running the team both on the field and behind the scenes, I have no doubt we can make serious noise starting as soon as this season. With #10, anything is possible and soon people outside the fanbase will start to realize the that as well. He is cut from a different cloth and really takes what is already a really good team, and can put them over the top.

To me, it all hinges on the knee.  We have the potential.  Can that right knee hold up?  I sure hope so.

Horse hockey Soup's uncle. We have two capable QB's in tow. And hate to say it, but Robert is not the end all, be all for this team in the next two years, we have depth at QB. Praise the Football Lord. If the D can do what I think it can do, and Almo can do his part, with Gracon and Davis, Moss+++ the OL intact, the team could win with Cousins easily, He has been in the offense now for a full year as well and the kid is no dummy, has steel nerves. I say yes this ship is built to withstand a run, I would only counter that the run to me looks like 5 years at this point without reloading heavily in certain areas. 

Agree with all points

The most important factor is number 2, a sound organization.

Besides the injury drama this past offseason, the organization from top to bottom is in perfect harmony with what it is trying to accomplish on the football field.

The right players who fit the scheme and are hard workers have been drafted. The right FA's have been brought in (no more Haynesworth's and Coles, but guys like Coefield and Garcon instead)

The big thing is getting through this year with another successful season, i.e 10+ wins and a playoff win, and I will feel real good going forward. In the 2015 draft (and who knows possibly the 2014 draft) the team will have a first round pick back. The cap, while the rippled effects will be felt for years, will no longer be the hindrance it was the past 2 years.

Anything can happen going forward, but I am hopeful that next 7 years are the exact opposite of what we have experienced lately 

That was my only beef with the whole post, that the number one and two should be switched, without the Organization the Franchise QB would not have happened. 

Horse hockey Soup's uncle. We have two capable QB's in tow. And hate to say it, but Robert is not the end all, be all for this team in the next two years, we have depth at QB .....

I have to respectfully disagree to a certain degree here SWFL. 

No, he isn't the end all to how we roll. But he most assuredly is to how much more diverse and threatening an attack we roll with. God forbid he did go down for an extended period, I think folk would be surprised at just how great the drop off would be between QB1 and QB2. Not that QB2 is bad by any means. Just NOWHERE near what 10 brings to the table and with little to no experience in the QB1 position in this town himself. 

Hail. 

I'm on board.  After what we saw last year, I see no reason to set the bar anywhere but at the top.  We should expect to be a legitimate contender in the foreseeable future.  Hell, I really think with a healthy RG3, we could've won the Super Bowl last year.  Nobody wanted to see our offense in the postseason, and the D had started to finally compliment it enough to keep us in every game.  There's usually about 8-12 teams who are legitimate contenders to take the Lombardi Trophy, and I see us firmly in that company now.

Archived