Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins To Run Swift Package Defense Vs. Eagles

Hogs 1991

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2013/08/29/defense-swift-package-eagles-michael-vick/2726901/

I don't know much about this scheme, but from the sound of it, it seems like it puts more OLBs, pass, and/or speed rushers on the field to counter speed based offenses like the Eagles and Buffalo. I was hoping, if no one didn't mind, if someone could explain to me what the Swift Package scheme is in more detail.

I am thrilled Haslet is continuing where he left off last year, making a concentrated effort to get after QB's by being creative in his schemes. Before the bye week last year, his big and only wrinkle was a delayed ILB blitz. Our approach up front was very static.

Enter the Swift package. Teams want to be uptempo more and more. Heck, the Shanahai have been preaching it here.  That tells me DC's fear their heaviest players stuck out on the field. Either you call a timeout to make subs, or you go with a lighter faster lineup.

I assume we run risk of teams lining up and running it up the gut, but when its used in obvious passing situations, that risk is minimized. 

I used to think we need a big stout NT to make a 3-4 work. But NTs come in all flavors and Cofield is on that mobile side which helps our cause in the modern pass happy up tempo game. And not when you use the strength of your D, those LB's, as much as possible.

the #1 reason I believe we'll win against the Eagles is not RGIII, its not our run game, our oline, our dline, our linebackers or even our secondary...  its the style of play the Eagles will run.  Collectively as a defense we should be able to stop them when we need to... the more uptempo their offense is the more tired their defense will be against our play-faking offense,  Their offense will not give their defense any time to rest which is CRUCIAL against a RGIII led team.

From the article...

Haslett's creative alignment, from left to right, starts with eighth-year pro Darryl Tapp, rookie Brandon Jenkins and Ryan Kerrigan taking three-point stances along the line of scrimmage. Orakpo stands up behind Kerrigan at right outside linebacker, while Perry Riley lines up at the left outside position, and London Fletcher, in his 16th season, mans the middle.

My reaction....

dancer.gif

Man, these next eight days are going to be tough....

What worries me with the swift package is that it is suspect against the run due to the lack of size on the interior. Not sure how multiple the Eagles can be in terms their personnel but if I were the o-coordinator I would get us in the swift package and run the ball as much as possible in an uptempo offense (ie no substitutions). This season the Eagles might not be able to do that but down the road when they get better talent I would worry about being "stuck" with the swift package when facing the no-huddle uptempo offense.

It's just putting LBs on the field instead of DL. It's to match speed with speed.

Just got on today but I used up all my likes again, but hey quote it, write it down, Brandon Jenkins is going to be seeing the field more initially than I thought. 

the #1 reason I believe we'll win against the Eagles is not RGIII, its not our run game, our oline, our dline, our linebackers or even our secondary...  its the style of play the Eagles will run.  Collectively as a defense we should be able to stop them when we need to... the more uptempo their offense is the more tired their defense will be against our play-faking offense,  Their offense will not give their defense any time to rest which is CRUCIAL against a RGIII led team.

Not only this, but when you first learn something translating that to the field of play at full speed is magnified by the speed in which you are trying to run it. I see lots of mistakes, like INT's, formation issues, off sides. 

Just a thought. What if you keep big guys up front and get a big push off the snap? Disrupt their timing and possibly cause ol to step on qb foot, bad hand off, pressure in the face of qb, doesn't give rb time to find lanes, jam receivers off the line. I think that all this up tempo stuff can be countered by just disrupting their plan. I know Chip said he doesn't believe in TOP but if you force turnovers and or several 3 and outs, I bet their defense is not going to make it 40 mins on the field while we pound them with a strong running game.

Again just a thought. I guess we will see how it all plays out.

I've always enjoyed the way the Raven's handle the hurry-up offense.  They do it against the Patsy's and the colts.  They just line up 11 good players that know the system and play.  They don't worry about subbing.  There is no panic about getting someone on/off the field.  It seems so relaxed.  Our 11 are better than your 11. 

At least against the eagles we should be able to do the same.  Get our men on the field, London will get them into position and we just play 11 on 11.  We just beat them.  Play slow or play fast, we don't care. 

It'll be interesting to see how the Eagles run their offense. Right now, I think it's just some college gimmick but I'll really have to wait and see.

I think having well conditioned guys on defense will matter just a little more than having fast guys. Speed is great but if you're out of breath you're useless.

About time we brought something in that will allow Orakpo to put a hand down to get the most out of his speed and power  :ph34r:

Cool to be able to put an all LB front 6 on passing downs and still have 3 good DEs (Orakpo, Tapp and Kerrigan) on the field, albeit of the 4-3 variety.  Lot's of flexibility to switch people around for added confusion and testing match ups.

I feel like saying it's about time we had a creative edge to our D game plan but I'm also remembering people saying Haslett needed talent to work with.  The none NFL coach in me says we should have come up with better than an all out blitz as our go to plan and I feel we just weren't creative enough. If I were an NFL coach the OCD in me would mean if I'm Shanahan and calling the shots I want my talent lacking D to play within the numbers so we can game plan around better predictions.  I'll get freaky on O where I've invested the most.

This year is looking a step on from the change we saw during last season.

Tapp      Cofield       Orakpo

Kerrigan        Fletcher/Riley           RJackson

Add in the DBs and figure out who's coming and how do you stop them, love the concept and can't wait to see it deployed.  I think against our O it would be about 8 plays all to Morris to march the length of the field  :D

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2013/08/29/defense-swift-package-eagles-michael-vick/2726901/

I don't know much about this scheme, but from the sound of it, it seems like it puts more OLBs, pass, and/or speed rushers on the field to counter speed based offenses like the Eagles and Buffalo. I was hoping, if no one didn't mind, if someone could explain to me what the Swift Package scheme is in more detail.

You could look at some video of a few teams that played Oregon last year that went to this type of defense. They called it something else of course but it was the same concept. I think Stanford and a couple other teams used it, i remember watching the games. No doubt they look at some college film of Oregon and found something that worked against that Offense.

..... So really it become a 4-3 defense, But more complex. 2 DL and 2 OLBs as Ends with 1 to 2 Rushing OLBs with 1 ILBs covering the middle.

Might look like a this (R means rush)

OLB/DL/DL/OLB                                        OLB/DL/DL/OLB

ROLB         /ILB/          ROLB       OR         ROLB  ROLB      ILB

Here they either hit the gaps or the /// Here they could play 3 rush on 1 side)

edge.

Point being the Eagles will never know who the Blitz person will be. anyone one for out LineBackers can end up being the extra rusher. I could be completely wrong but Im pretty sure this rusher X will have a free go at the QB or the QB will be running for his life.

Archived