Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

If we switch to the 4-3 and bring back Rak ... we would need to find a 4-3 ILB. I think D&S has said that Riley, Jackson and Robinson would be good candidates to play OLB in the 4-3 with Kerrigan and Rak at DE. If we had a couple 2nd rounders, I wouldn't be opposed to getting a stud ILB early in the 2nd to anchor the middle. If we go 4-3 I think we're pretty set at DT with Jenkins and Cofield (likely releasing Carriker and Bowen). I'd be happy with our DL ... but our LBs might be a bit suspect so getting someone like Skov early 2nd would be nice 

Give me Denzel Perryman and call it a day at MLB. Currently plays OLB for Miami, but don't see why he couldn't play MLB 

Have a feeling its the latter. Shanny has the final say, so he'll take the guy he wants over what others might say 

Shanny is a highlight reel guy. Scouts, Brown, Campbell, bring the players to Shanny. Grant Paulsen said Shanny watches a guy's 3 best plays and 3 worst plays. More like he mainly watches the positive plays, thinking he can coach players to always make those plays.

But yeah, he'll take the guy he likes over the guy ever guy likes.

Although I do wonder if they do move Riley to 4-3 MLB and look for more of a Kiwanuka type SLB in the draft. Keenan if healthy can be a very good coverage LB for us but the worry is if he can be healthy

Wonder if that's a role that Jackson could excel in. Or at least be competent in.

Regarding Robinson, at least it's 'just' his pec. Same as Orakpo who is (now) showing no signs of his injury. I think Keenan will be good to go this offseason. On the flip side, missing so much time means he's still a question mark - to this staff and even more so to a new staff. Which means we need to address the position. Which cuts into our resources to address other weaknesses (real or perceived).

The good news is if Robinson pans out we have good depth at the position.

Wonder if that's a role that Jackson could excel in. Or at least be competent in.

Regarding Robinson, at least it's 'just' his pec. Same as Orakpo who is (now) showing no signs of his injury. I think Keenan will be good to go this offseason. On the flip side, missing so much time means he's still a question mark - to this staff and even more so to a new staff. Which means we need to address the position. Which cuts into our resources to address other weaknesses (real or perceived).

The good news is if Robinson pans out we have good depth at the position.

Jackson could fill that role, but I'd rather have an upgrade from that. I feel like Jackson could be a good 3rd pass rusher for the team. 

Looking at Robinson I fully agree, and it's a big risk to rely on him, but again I feel like he's not really an injury prone guy. Wouldn't surprise me if they added a WLB in FA to cover up that spot just in case Robinson isn't ready to go right away 

With the 34th pick I hope we can grab Kelvin Benjamin WR out of FSU. Calvin Johnson size and jumping ability. Could be a beast in this league and we finally would have a true big man

Good read from more than a year ago on Benjamin: http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/football/story/_/id/8314163/fsu-wr-kelvin-benjamin-trying-match-reality-legend

Kind of highlights how far he's progressed in the past year and his potential for future improvement in his route running. 

For the late 1st v. early 2nd and 4th ... I know this isn't exact science but it's a benchmark:

1) Late 1st scenario: Browns trade us *Colts pick, currently #24 for Cousins = value of 740 points

2) Texans trade us their 2nd and 4th for Cousins: Currently #33 and #97 = value of 692

- difference in 48 points is equal to a late-4th 

3) Vikings trade us their 2nd and 4th for Cousins: Currently #36 and #100 = 672

- difference in 68 points is another mid-4th

So it's really about perceived value. Teams under and oversell their draft picks all the time, dependent on who is available. Now, if this is a pre-draft trade, which I anticipate it is, then you would imagine it sticks pretty close to the trade value chart. With that being said, I'd feel more comfortable with the late 1st round pick for this reason alone: You can always trade back. If you are at 24, you never know who might be available there that you really want (that is worth more than an extra 4th rounder) ... or someone else really wants, in which case, you might be able to get more in return. So, say, a stud OLB falls (and we re-sign Rak) ... and someone wants to move up ... we might be able to get more than an early 2nd and 4th. That's just my mindset, though.

So I think the debate should be ... would you rather get a 2/4/5 for Cousins or a 1 and possibly get a stud that falls or trade back and try and get more (maybe a 3rd instead of a 4/5?)

I think best case scenario ... and since you can't predict the draft the day before it occurs, saying this 5 months out, before the combine or FA is even more ludicrous to try to do ... but it's fun nonetheless. What if the Browns offered us their late 1st and a conditional pick for Cousins. Something like, if he starts 16 games or throws for 4,000 that conditional pick is a 5th that turns into a 2nd in 2015. 

Then we have what will likely end up being the 26th or so pick in the draft. Let's say, something crazy happens ... like the Texans decide to go with Jadaveon Clowney at #1 and Johnny Manziel falls to #26 where we are. What if the Texans offered us #33 and a 2015 2nd rounder to move up and take Manziel?

You would then be talking about the Kirk Cousins (4th rounder in 2012) pick turning into a 2nd in 2014 and two 2nds in 2015? Wouldn't be a bad deal, and a new regime would love to load up on draft picks moving forward.

Brandon Coleman with the 2nd rounder?

Sure. I wouldn't mind that. I think if we were to switch to the 4-3 ... re-sign guys like Orakpo, Jackson and Riley ... and have a free agency that gets us Pozlusny (MLB), TJ Ward (FS), Jared Velhdeer (RT) and Alex Mack (OC) as our primary signings ... if you can trade Cousins for a 2nd and 4th ... I would go:

2(34): Kelvin Benjamin, WR

2(35): Brandon Coleman, OG - From Minnesota

3(65): Denzel Perryman, MLB

4(97): DeAnthony Thomas, SWR / Dri Archer, SWR

4(98): Lucheze Purefoy, CB - From Minnesota

5(129): Aaron Murray, QB

6(161): PUNTER

Would be happy with that

*Note: I'm not sure what he would command, but if we still had cap space, I wouldn't mind bringing in McCluster to play that SWR/returnman or Julian Edelman to play SWR. I think Edelman will cost more, but god is he sure-handed. If that were to occur, then change that 4th rounder with Thomas/Archer to a BPA somewhere like DE or DT, depending on who we keep or bring in as depth during FA>

Sure. I wouldn't mind that. I think if we were to switch to the 4-3 ... re-sign guys like Orakpo, Jackson and Riley ... and have a free agency that gets us Pozlusny (MLB), TJ Ward (FS), Jared Velhdeer (RT) and Alex Mack (OC) as our primary signings ... if you can trade Cousins for a 2nd and 4th ... I would go:

2(34): Kelvin Benjamin, WR

2(35): Brandon Coleman, OG - From Minnesota

3(65): Denzel Perryman, MLB

4(97): DeAnthony Thomas, SWR / Dri Archer, SWR

4(98): Lucheze Purefoy, CB - From Minnesota

5(129): Aaron Murray, QB

6(161): PUNTER

Is Thomas really expected to go in the 4th? That's insane. 

Archived