Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Sure. I wouldn't mind that. I think if we were to switch to the 4-3 ... re-sign guys like Orakpo, Jackson and Riley ... and have a free agency that gets us Pozlusny (MLB), TJ Ward (FS), Jared Velhdeer (RT) and Alex Mack (OC) as our primary signings ... if you can trade Cousins for a 2nd and 4th ... I would go:

2(34): Kelvin Benjamin, WR

2(35): Brandon Coleman, OG - From Minnesota

3(65): Denzel Perryman, MLB

4(97): DeAnthony Thomas, SWR / Dri Archer, SWR

4(98): Lucheze Purefoy, CB - From Minnesota

5(129): Aaron Murray, QB

6(161): PUNTER

Would be happy with that

*Note: I'm not sure what he would command, but if we still had cap space, I wouldn't mind bringing in McCluster to play that SWR/returnman or Julian Edelman to play SWR. I think Edelman will cost more, but god is he sure-handed. If that were to occur, then change that 4th rounder with Thomas/Archer to a BPA somewhere like DE or DT, depending on who we keep or bring in as depth during FA>

Deanthony Thomas isn't lasting that long and I don't think Dri Archer is either when the combine rolls around. His measurable are going to blow some people away. Aaron murray isn't lasting to the 5th either. Too many starts. Too many wins. He is a another Kirk Cousins mold but better resume. I think the latest he will go is mid 4th.

Walter Dec. 11 update: http://walterfootball.com/draft2014_3.php --- first 3 rounds, no Thomas

Drafttek Dec. 12 update: http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round3.asp - has him in the 3rd (#70 overall)

CBS Sports - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectsearch?multisearch=1&year=2014&position=RB&school=All Have Thomas as the 18th ranked RB. But I know a lot think he'll play the McCluster type roll as a SWR/Playmaker ... so he could fall.

Also, above I mentioned Brandon Coleman ... I meant Brandon Thomas the OG from Clemson ... not the WR from Rutgers 

D&S ... Just read your piece on Stork, OC from FSU. What is your sense on his draft range? I'm a huge fan of signing Alex Mack in free agency, but if we don't land him or the Browns sign him or franchise him, I would like to address OC in the draft. I would think that, any money not spent on Mack could go toward getting a nice interior lineman ... so my thinking is if we sign Mack we can draft an OG, but if we sign an OG we can draft an OC. I know centers traditionally go later, but in recent years have been shooting up the boards. Is he someone that could be had in the 3rd or later, or is he a 2nd round guy?

D&S ... Just read your piece on Stork, OC from FSU. What is your sense on his draft range? I'm a huge fan of signing Alex Mack in free agency, but if we don't land him or the Browns sign him or franchise him, I would like to address OC in the draft. I would think that, any money not spent on Mack could go toward getting a nice interior lineman ... so my thinking is if we sign Mack we can draft an OG, but if we sign an OG we can draft an OC. I know centers traditionally go later, but in recent years have been shooting up the boards. Is he someone that could be had in the 3rd or later, or is he a 2nd round guy?

I don't know if the Browns are going to go with 2 franchise guys on the OLine. Not sure when Joe Thomas is up for another contract but he is going to get A LOT of money. Arguably the best LT in the game and hasn't missed a snap in his career.

I envision the new regime coming in and cleaning up along the OL. I'd love Jay Gruden ... and he runs some ZBS so there might be some room for holdovers to stay on board ... but whether it is Mack or a draft pick or a guy that moves over to OC, I still envision 3 additions this off-season on the OL ... whether it's through the early draft or FA. Mack may not be held onto in Cleveland ... the question might become, do you value Mack or Osomoah (OG from KC) more? 

I'd love:

T. Williams/K. Lichtensteiger/A. Mack/B. Thomas/J. Veldheer across the line. Or Osomoah at OG and Lich/Gettis at OC. Lot's of possibilities.

Also, if Tom Compton really is the answer at RT (and I'll let the new regime determine that) ... it could save a lot of money for us. Go Compton at RT and spend money beefing up the interior. That said, i would love Veldheer, and unless Comptom, on tape, really is the real deal, I'd almost prefer just getting someone we know is a stud in there.

I was talking with someone about the Falcons last night and I mentioned how surprising it is that they're awful this year given how good they've been. More surprising than the fact we're awful this year. Then I said something to the effect of, "I don't know why they're awful. Oh wait a second..."

Then I ran over their draft classes from the past several years in my head and I understood. They've been pretty bad since 2009. 2009 and 2010 are particularly bad classes and in 2011 they gave up so much for Julio Jones it hamstrung their draft. It was like losing a whole bunch of players at once when he went on IR this year.

You reap what you sew in the draft two to four years afterwards, whether good or bad. That means if you have several consecutive bad drafts, without fail, you can expect your team to take a step back three years later.

It even happened to the Patriots for a hot minute after a really awful draft in 2006.

On the flip side, Dallas killed the 2005 draft and in 2007 they're suddenly 13-3 and that draft class is the backbone of the team. But then they didn't have good subsequent drafts and they blew picks on Roy Williams and now they're back in a range of bad to mediocre.

Kansas City, San Francisco, and Cincinnati have killed the draft for the past several years and now those teams are completely loaded and winning games. San Francisco crushed 2007, bombed 2008, bombed 2009, crushed 2010, and crushed 2011. Three draft classes are the foundation of their winner right now. But bombing '08 and '09 is why it didn't go smoothly for them and the regime got fired in 2011.

In our own case, Mike Shanahan bombed the 2010 and 2011 offseasons so badly we're paying the piper now. And it didn't help that he inherited a 2009 offseason where all we kept was Orakpo and he burned the career of Albert Haynesworth. Whatever, at least he got the first round picks right. And I think he did very well in 2012 and 2013 so if we get a new regime and they kill this 2014 draft, we could have a truly elite team in about 2016.

Jay Gruden doesn't move the needle for me at all. I think the best thing about his offense is that it's loaded with a ton of talented players. Duke Tobin is the star of Cincy's front office.

Mcqeen ... great observations. I think it's imperative that the 2012 and 2013 drafts turn out to be good ... even without our 1sts. Those 1st rounders are so important, but they can be overcome with good drafting elsewhere. 2012 looks like it was a decent draft, but we have yet to see anything from our 3rd/4th/5th/6th rounders. So essentially, we know what we got with our 1st and other 6th ... and to a certain extent our 7th (Crawford).

2013 is wait and see. I think Amerson, Reed, Thomas and Rambo are filled with potential. Jenkins could be a decent prospect as well. Hard to say, though, whether that was a big draft.

I think we are going to have to see what we've got with our 2014 draft. If we can flip Kirk for a couple picks and just load up, it could set the tempo for the new regime to help build and potentially expand on the 2012 and 2013 draft, since there are still a lot of question marks.

San Francisco crushed 2007, bombed 2008, bombed 2009, crushed 2010, and crushed 2011.

Go back even further. Their line has been stacked with first and second round prospects. They were loaded with talent and only needed a good coach to turn them around after that Mike Singletary debacle

I still to this day doubt the Browns let their IMO best OL leave the team in Mack. It's highly doubtful and thats why I haven't included him in any discussions. As for Stork, I think he's right around that 4th-5th round range 

I still to this day doubt the Browns let their IMO best OL leave the team in Mack. It's highly doubtful and thats why I haven't included him in any discussions. As for Stork, I think he's right around that 4th-5th round range 

Awesome. I'd love him in that range. I'd almost prefer that route, after reading your write-up, and spending money smartly on some OG upgrade(s). 

I have him as more as a 3rd to 4th rounder. I hope for Thomas in the 4th, but the numbers from last year indicate he could go before the 4th.

You know, I wouldn't hate a draft that netted us Thomas in the 3rd and Stork in the 4th. My only concerns with doing that is you put a lot of emphasis on young rookies making an impact along your line. Although both could certainly start right away and be good, I'm sure both would experience growing pains as well. Maybe it could work if the Skins decided to go get Veldheer and Osomoah in the off-season to play RT and LG. At the very least it allows for some additional depth along the line I guess. But if Thomas & Stork could be had in the 3/4th rounds, you can address some other needs via FA and in the 2nd rounds.

I love the idea of bolstering the interior line. I hate to commit two mid-round draft picks to doing so after attempting to do that just two drafts ago ... and I also hate that Shanahan has refused to allow Gettis/LeReibus and until recently, Compton to have any time to see what they can really offer. Ugh.

What do you all think about Skov from Standford? I saw a mock this morning that had him slipping to us at 34. Would fill a major need at ILB. Don't know much about him, but the little I have read seems to be that he's a beast. 

I think he's a bit slow to be a great nfl linebacker.  He'd have his uses but I think you can't hide slow ILB in the nfl any more.  He takes great angles, seems like a sure tackler, great natural timing for blitzing.  Downside is I only saw him play in zone coverage, which is ok, but he's not especially fluid or fast for playing coverage.  In my eyes he would be an upgraded version of Perry; does a lot of the same things well but has a lot of the same weaknesses.  That might be fine, Perry has had spurts of great play for us, but what I really want is an ilb who can cover.  I'm tired of the middle of our d being open every single week.

Just throwing this one out there, if we get a high 2nd for Cousins is there a player in the 1st round we could trade up for that could be a big difference player for us.

There are a few de's that I really like that I don't think will be there at our pick. I would maybe trade a 2nd and a lower pick to trade up a few spots.

There are a few de's that I really like that I don't think will be there at our pick. I would maybe trade a 2nd and a lower pick to trade up a few spots.

It would have to be someone that you thought was a defo lock to start from the get go and produce given the amount of holes we have and the priceless nature of the picks we do currently hold to try fill some of them. 

Hail. 

Sure. I wouldn't mind that. I think if we were to switch to the 4-3 ... re-sign guys like Orakpo, Jackson and Riley ... and have a free agency that gets us Pozlusny (MLB), TJ Ward (FS), Jared Velhdeer (RT) and Alex Mack (OC) as our primary signings ... if you can trade Cousins for a 2nd and 4th ... I would go:

2(34): Kelvin Benjamin, WR

2(35): Brandon Coleman, OG - From Minnesota

3(65): Denzel Perryman, MLB

4(97): DeAnthony Thomas, SWR / Dri Archer, SWR

4(98): Lucheze Purefoy, CB - From Minnesota

5(129): Aaron Murray, QB

6(161): PUNTER

Brandon Coleman is a WR not an G. No way we go with a punter in the 6th. You can get an undrafted one like Tyler Campbell.

I do like what I'm reading about his ability to tackle. That's been a real problem for us at the Safety position. I also like that he's a thumper who hits with force and can rip the ball from the carrier's hands. Good length at 6'2" and decent weight at 208. I'm curious about his coverage skills (Packers like to have their safeties have a degree of interchangeability between Free and Strong) and I'd like to see how he performs at the combine to get a look at his measurables.

Archived