Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

It would have to be someone that you thought was a defo lock to start from the get go and produce given the amount of holes we have and the priceless nature of the picks we do currently hold to try fill some of them. 

Hail. 

I suppose you're right.  Went back and looked at Tuitt and in retrospect I probably wouldn't trade up for him or Hageman.  Perhaps it's unfair to compare their tape to JJ Watt's, but it isn't even close.  How was Watt not a top 5 pick?  Still blows my mind when I go back and look at his college videos.  He didn't post unbelievable stats, but his quickness and strength aren't that far off from Clowney.

Tuitt looks like a pretty typical 2 gap de, which would fit well enough in our scheme.  Though he had 11 sacks last year, he's not especially explosive.  He's smart and gets in passing lanes, but I feel like he's Tyson Jackson at best.

After watching Dobson, I got to say I'm in love now.  Normally I'd say a 6'0 3-4 de just wouldn't work, but that guy is a real handful.  After seeing a less than ideal heighted pass rusher like dumervil succeed, I have faith in dobson being able to work at DE in a 3-4 if we were to keep the scheme; though ideally we would go to more of a 1 gap 3-4.  Honestly, I think he may be a more explosive 3 tech than Suh coming out, his only downside being that he's much smaller.

Another guy I really like is Brent Urban from Virginia.  CBS has him listed as a 7th rounder-FA, if we could get him and Dobson in the same draft our defensive line could turn from a weakness to a strength.  He is an ideal 5 tech, and although he probably won't make people forget about watt, the guy is an incredibly good run defender and has good timing for his jumps with his 6'7 frame to swat down balls.  He doesn't have the swim move and upper body strength of Watt, but he's a solid 2 gapping de prospect that can be had in the later rounds.

Any insight on mid-round WRs?

We kind of lack  talent there and doesn't seem like spending our top second round pick on one is a good idea. Our extra salary cap space should definitely help a lot getting some talent in at WR and OL, but a few guys I've looked at as mid round talented WRs are Donte Moncrief ( Ole Miss ) and L'Damian Washington (Missouri)

I would prefer a skill position at the top of the second round. A WR namely. Possibly a corner or safety. Really the only other option would be Cyril Richardson or a stud NT comes along but this year is a down year for NTs\

2. Kelvin Benjamin WR FSU Big physical need some size on Offense

3. Daniel McCullers NT Tenn. A MOUTAIN of a man at 6'6" 350 lbs. Exactly what we need at the nose

4. Keith McGill CB Utah Another big physical CB to pair with Amerson.

5. John Halapio G Florida

6. Max Bullough ILB A tackling machine for the number 1 ranked Michigan State defense. Good size for a 34 as well at 6-3 245

7. Jonathon Harrison C Florida

It's looking more and more like Brett Hundley is going back to UCLA. So that leaves the top QBs, as of now, being: (RANKINGS ARE ESPN)

# = QB that can be a #1 right away

## = QB that may need not need to be groomed as a QB, not a sure-fire immediate #1 though

### = QB who will not be a star, but could be decent backup or long-term groom

QBs Ranked in the Top 100:

8. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville #

14. Blake Bortles, UCF ##

20. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M ##

41. Zack Mettenberger, LSU - major injury ##

56. AJ McCarron, Alabama (56th) ##

58. Derek Carr, Fresno State ##

72. Aaron Murray, Georgia - major injury ###

76. Stephen Morris, Miami (Fl) - ###

Teams that desperately need a starting QB (5):

1. Houston Texans (1st)

2. Cleveland Browns (4th)

3. Jacksonville Jaguars (6th)

4. Oakland Raiders (7th)

5. Minnesota Vikings (8th)

Teams that may need a QB, but not desperate (4):

1. Tennessee Titans (11th) - Locker injury issues + contract coming up

2. New York Jets  (13th) - Is Geno the answer?

3. Arizona Cardinals (23) - How many years does Carson have left + window for Fitz

4. St. Louis Rams (2nd, 12th) - Is Sam Bradford the answer or not

Teams that could be in the market for a QB to groom (5):

1. New York Giants (11)

2. Chicago Bears (20)

3. Denver Broncos (30)

4. KC Chiefs (31)

5. Green Bay Packers (18)

So you have 5 teams in need of an immediate starter ... 4 teams that could be looking for a decent young QB to backup or challenge for a start ... and 5 teams that might be looking to groom a successor to an aging QB. 

Do you think there are 5 sure-fire starters in this draft?

You really don't think Cousins could garner at least a 2nd round pick and possibly more from any of those 5 desperate teams? 

** Pound sign designations are mine, not ESPN's

And just as I post this, I read that Teddy Bridgewater isn't even sure if he's entering the draft. I know he probably ends up going ... but my god. Could you imagine if he doesn't come out? 

Johnny Football might be the most intriguing QB and he has a lot of question marks going into the next level of play.

If Bridgewater were to stay, I really, really think the Redskins could get a #1 + for Kirk if he plays strong these next two games. There literally won't be any decent options and teams won't be willing to wait around for the 2015 draft.

And just as I post this, I read that Teddy Bridgewater isn't even sure if he's entering the draft. I know he probably ends up going ... but my god. Could you imagine if he doesn't come out?

Johnny Football might be the most intriguing QB and he has a lot of question marks going into the next level of play.

If Bridgewater were to stay, I really, really think the Redskins could get a #1 + for Kirk if he plays strong these next two games. There literally won't be any decent options and teams won't be willing to wait around for the 2015 draft.

Great points!

we can only hope!!

You know why this team is so g*damn awful? This, alone, should be a fire-able offense for the entire staff:

Draft picks making an impact, injury or otherwise:

2010:

Impacts: TWO: 1st rounder Trent Williams, 4th rounder Perry Riley

No major impacts: SEVEN: 2nd rounder (Mcnabb trade), 3rd rounder (Jarmon, supplemental draft), 5th (Carriker, trade), 6th Dennis Morris, 7th Terrance Austin, 7th Eric Cook, 7th Selvish Capers

2011:

- Impacts: SIX (stretch): 1st rounder Kerrigan, 2nd rounder Jenkins, 3rd rounder Hankerson, 4th rounder Helu, 5th rounder Paul, 6th rounder Robinson

- No major impacts: SIX: 5th rounder DJ Gomes, 6th rounder Royster, 7th rounder Thompson, 7th rounder Hurt, 7th rounder White, 7th rounder Nield

2012:

- Impacts: TWO: 1st round pick Robert Griffin III, 6th round pick Alfred Morris

- No major impacts: SEVEN: 3rd rounder Josh LeReibus, 4th round pick Kirk Cousins, 4th round pick Keenan Robinson, 5th round pick Adam Gettis, 6th round pick Tom Compton, 7th round pick Richard Crawford, 7th round pick Jordan Bernstein

2013:

-  Impacts: TWO: 2nd round pick David Amerson, 6th round pick Bacarri Rambo

- No major impacts: FIVE: 3rd rounder Jordan Reed (injured), 4th rounder Phil Thomas (injured), 5th rounder Brandon Jenkins, 5th rounder Chris Thompson, 7th rounder Jawan Jamison

So 2011 was by far the best draft, but they also had the most picks to hit on. 2010 was a joke, in terms of its impact on 2013, outside of Williams and Riley, no one else from that draft was on the field this year (either as a pick or as a trade target). 2012 is also a joke outside of RGIII, Alf and Cousins. None of the other mid-round or late-round picks saw the field this year in any significant time. It's hard to judge the 2013 draft this early ... especially with some of the injuries, but you still had just TWO flippin players from the draft have significant playing time this year. Reed is a solid pick, but he can't stay healthy.

How has this regime been allowed to get away with this ... let alone have a discussion even existing about them being around to do this for a 5th time?!

So from the last 4 drafts, out of a potential, standard 28 draft selections, the Redskins converted that into ... 12 players who saw significant time on the field in 2013 ... and 25 players who did not.

Alright draft gurus, who do y'all have as the top Safeties in the draft?

Two years ago I inquired about interior-rushers and I was pointed to Jerel Worthy, whom the Packers wound up drafting, so let's see if history repeats and someone can point me to a future Packers draft pick.

FS wise there are two guys I've been starting to watch more and I'm liking and those are Kenny Ladler and Ty Zimmerman

SS wise I think we might be okay for another year or two if Thomas comes back healthy and they move Merriweather to SS 

You know why this team is so g*damn awful? This, alone, should be a fire-able offense for the entire staff:

Draft picks making an impact, injury or otherwise:

2010:

Impacts: TWO: 1st rounder Trent Williams, 4th rounder Perry Riley

No major impacts: SEVEN: 2nd rounder (Mcnabb trade), 3rd rounder (Jarmon, supplemental draft), 5th (Carriker, trade), 6th Dennis Morris, 7th Terrance Austin, 7th Eric Cook, 7th Selvish Capers

2011:

- Impacts: SIX (stretch): 1st rounder Kerrigan, 2nd rounder Jenkins, 3rd rounder Hankerson, 4th rounder Helu, 5th rounder Paul, 6th rounder Robinson

- No major impacts: SIX: 5th rounder DJ Gomes, 6th rounder Royster, 7th rounder Thompson, 7th rounder Hurt, 7th rounder White, 7th rounder Nield

2012:

- Impacts: TWO: 1st round pick Robert Griffin III, 6th round pick Alfred Morris

- No major impacts: SEVEN: 3rd rounder Josh LeReibus, 4th round pick Kirk Cousins, 4th round pick Keenan Robinson, 5th round pick Adam Gettis, 6th round pick Tom Compton, 7th round pick Richard Crawford, 7th round pick Jordan Bernstein

2013:

-  Impacts: TWO: 2nd round pick David Amerson, 6th round pick Bacarri Rambo

- No major impacts: FIVE: 3rd rounder Jordan Reed (injured), 4th rounder Phil Thomas (injured), 5th rounder Brandon Jenkins, 5th rounder Chris Thompson, 7th rounder Jawan Jamison

So 2011 was by far the best draft, but they also had the most picks to hit on. 2010 was a joke, in terms of its impact on 2013, outside of Williams and Riley, no one else from that draft was on the field this year (either as a pick or as a trade target). 2012 is also a joke outside of RGIII, Alf and Cousins. None of the other mid-round or late-round picks saw the field this year in any significant time. It's hard to judge the 2013 draft this early ... especially with some of the injuries, but you still had just TWO flippin players from the draft have significant playing time this year. Reed is a solid pick, but he can't stay healthy.

How has this regime been allowed to get away with this ... let alone have a discussion even existing about them being around to do this for a 5th time?!

So from the last 4 drafts, out of a potential, standard 28 draft selections, the Redskins converted that into ... 12 players who saw significant time on the field in 2013 ... and 25 players who did not.

Gotta give some of these guys time to develop, not to mention some of them have been injured as well. I actually think the past three drafts have been solid, only time will tell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI

Gotta give some of these guys time to develop, not to mention some of them have been injured as well. I actually think the past three drafts have been solid, only time will tell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI

For the 2011 class we should now be seeing if they are going to stick, and right now outside of Kerrigan and Jenkins I'm already doubting it. 2012 class you have LeRib who is a major question mark, RG3 who is fine and Morris who's fine. This past class I agree though is too early to determine on 

For the 2011 class we should now be seeing if they are going to stick, and right now outside of Kerrigan and Jenkins I'm already doubting it. 2012 class you have LeRib who is a major question mark, RG3 who is fine and Morris who's fine. This past class I agree though is too early to determine on 

I think Helu is a good backup at running back from the 2011 class. And Hankerson and Robinson could come around at WR. Possibly Neild as the backup NT too.

The 2012 draftees I believe it is to early to tell how they will turn out, Compton, Gettis, Crawford, Robinson, Leribius, could all settle into roles here. Also Kirk could be traded for a second or hopefully first rounder.

2013 same as 2012.

All in all solid drafting imo, not great but solid.

5 potential stars drafted in the last 4 seasons isn't bad, as well as drafting some solid role players and starters.

The 5 stars mentioned would be Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, RGIII, Alfred Morris, and David Amerson. Go back to 2009 and add Orakpo and that makes 6 stars in 5 years. Not too bad imo.

The 5 stars mentioned would be Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, RGIII, Alfred Morris, and David Amerson. Go back to 2009 and add Orakpo and that makes 6 stars in 5 years. Not too bad imo.

I'm just talking Shanahan regime ... so it starts with that 2010 draft.

And for a team that really had salary cap constraints and a lack of talent ... HITTING on those drafts was that much more important. Drafting two OGs in the mid-rounds and having them settle into backup roles with no significant time in two years is not good. I understand Compton is a 6th ... and if you can get a solid backup there, that's great. Crawford is a diamond-in-the-rough potential in the 7th. I have no issue with those later picks .. but those are the picks that need to go to "depth guys" ...

The 3rd/4th/5th need to go to players that can potentially start. We aren't even talking 1st/2nd at this point. Those 3/4/5 round guys gotta step up and right now, none of those guys from the last two drafts outside of Morris and Rambo in the 6th has done jack!

It's a joke!

What is also a joke, in hindsight ... is using a 5th rounder and 7th rounder on RBs a year after having the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL and a scat-back returning from injury, when you have so many other holes. 

I'm just talking Shanahan regime ... so it starts with that 2010 draft.

And for a team that really had salary cap constraints and a lack of talent ... HITTING on those drafts was that much more important. Drafting two OGs in the mid-rounds and having them settle into backup roles with no significant time in two years is not good. I understand Compton is a 6th ... and if you can get a solid backup there, that's great. Crawford is a diamond-in-the-rough potential in the 7th. I have no issue with those later picks .. but those are the picks that need to go to "depth guys" ...

The 3rd/4th/5th need to go to players that can potentially start. We aren't even talking 1st/2nd at this point. Those 3/4/5 round guys gotta step up and right now, none of those guys from the last two drafts outside of Morris and Rambo in the 6th has done jack!

It's a joke!

What is also a joke, in hindsight ... is using a 5th rounder and 7th rounder on RBs a year after having the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL and a scat-back returning from injury, when you have so many other holes. 

It is disappointing. Hopefully we can turn the tide in this years upcoming draft.

I haven't read through this entire thread so I don't know if you've already posted it, but what would be your draft for the Redskins this off-season if it's not too much trouble for you to post?

See, here's my issue with this. Without something to reference it with, it's hard to really say. So real quick I decided to peak at a good team whose often lauded as one who "does it right"...the New England Patriots. Basing it, like you did, on contributions this year and ignoring any excuses as to why significant impact wasn't made...

Impacts...Two: Devin McCourty, Brandon Spikes

Non-Impacts...Ten: Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez, Zoltan Mesko, Ted Larsen, Thomas Welch, Brandon Deaderick, Kade Weston, Zac Robinson

Impacts...Four: Nate Solder, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Marcus Cannon

Non-Impacts...Five: Ras-I Dowling, Ryan Mallet, Lee Smith, Markell Carter, Malcom Williams

Impacts...Three:  Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Alfonzo Dennard

Non-Impacts...Four: Tavon Wilson, Jake Bequette, Nate Ebner, Jeremy Ebert

Impacts...Five: Jamie Collins, Aaron Dobson, Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon, Michael Buchanan

Non-Impacts...Two: Josh Boyce, Steve Beauharnais

If you can't call Reed an "Impact" player for us this year, then I have a hard time actually labeling Gronkowski as "Impact" Players for the Patroits this year at this point...but personally I would label Reed as having an "impact" for us this year so I listed both Gronk and Vereen.

That gives us 14 "Impact" players over the past 4 drafts and 21 "non-impact" players. That compares to 12 "Impact" players and 25 "non-impacts" during our past 4 drafts.

What else is interesting is you list Six "impact" players for us this year that was drafted in the 4th round or lower. New England has three such players: Denard, Cannon and Buchanan.

Going to try and peak at Green Bay's next I think if I can.

This isn't saying that ours is good, that New Englands is bad, etc....but it's just giving an actual REFERENCE. Because the information you provided, without any reference what so ever to others in the league, is somewhat useless in showing us a "good" or "bad" overall result. Though I definitely found it interesting data and appreciate the work for it.

I haven't read through this entire thread so I don't know if you've already posted it, but what would be your draft for the Redskins this off-season if it's not too much trouble for you to post?

I'd be kidding everyone here if I said I had a clue ... I only really go off what others are saying, but I have posted that I would love the following (Dukes & Skins would likely give you more specific analysis):

Trade Cousins for an early 2 and early 4

Following predicated on signing a FS (Ward), RT (Veldheer), MLB (Pozluzney), SWR (McCluster/Edelman)

2: Kelvin Benjamin, WR FSU

2: Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S FSU

3: Brandon Thomas, OG Clemson

4: DE Depth (for 4-3)

4: Bryan Stork, OC FSU

5: Stephen Morris, QB Miami (project backup)

6: SS 

7: BPA

ZRagone ... nice research ... I appreciate that!

I should clarify that when I said impact in 2013 ... I meant that that player actually played and had an impact THIS season. Yeah, Nield played well, and actually looked like a great pick in his first year, but didn't do anything for the team this year.

I also left out a guy like Jordan Reed who made an impact in limited time. I also found that the team has some serious bad luck with recent picks' health. 

But my main point wasn't the late-round guys making impacts ... but that the mid-round guys just aren't there. 

Players drafted in rounds 3-5 two years ago aren't seeing the field at all. Those guys need to be out there at this point. Right now i'm chalking LeReibus and Gettis as wasted picks. Our interior OL is awful and those two haven't cracked the line up in a 3-11 seaon

I'd be kidding everyone here if I said I had a clue ... I only really go off what others are saying, but I have posted that I would love the following (Dukes & Skins would likely give you more specific analysis):

Trade Cousins for an early 2 and early 4

Following predicated on signing a FS (Ward), RT (Veldheer), MLB (Pozluzney), SWR (McCluster/Edelman)

2: Kelvin Benjamin, WR FSU

2: Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S FSU

3: Brandon Thomas, OG Clemson

4: DE Depth (for 4-3)

4: Bryan Stork, OC FSU

5: Stephen Morris, QB Miami (project backup)

6: SS 

7: BPA

Never heard of any of them except Benjamin who would be a good pick imo. He's tall and would compliment Pierre Garcon well. Not too bad I guess. What do you think about Denzel Perryman, linebacker out of Miami?

See, here's my issue with this. Without something to reference it with, it's hard to really say. So real quick I decided to peak at a good team whose often lauded as one who "does it right"...the New England Patriots. Basing it, like you did, on contributions this year and ignoring any excuses as to why significant impact wasn't made...

Impacts...Three*: Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski*, Brandon Spikes

Non-Impacts...Nine: Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez, Zoltan Mesko, Ted Larsen, Thomas Welch, Brandon Deaderick, Kade Weston, Zac Robinson

Impacts...Three*: Nate Solder, Shane Vereen*, Stevan Ridley

Non-Impacts...Six: Ras-I Dowling, Ryan Mallet, Marcus Cannon, Lee Smith, Markell Carter, Malcom Williams

Impacts...Three:  Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Alfonzo Dennard

Impacts...Three: Jamie Collins, Aaron Dobson, Logan Ryan

Non-Impacts...Four: Duron Harmon, Josh Boyce, Michael Buchanan, Steve Beauharnais

You could make an argument in that 2013 draft of Michael Buchanan, whose had very limited playing time but has registered two sacks. (I guess the question would be if you considered Nield's rookie year to be one you'd call an "impact")

The two guys with Astericks are people I wanted to comment on as well.....Vereen and Gronk have both been injured for most of the season, and in Gronk's case is out again. If you can't call Reed an "Impact" player for us this year, then I have a hard time actually labeling Gronkowski or Vereen as "Impact" Players for the Patroits this year at this point...but personally I would label Reed as having an "impact" for us this year so I listed both Gronk and Vereen.

That gives us 12 "Impact" players over the past 4 drafts and 23 "non-impact" players. That compares to 12 "Impact" players and 25 "non-impacts" during our past 4 drafts.

What else is interesting is you list Six "impact" players for us this year that was drafted in the 4th round or lower. New England has one such player, Alfonzo Denard in the 6th.

This isn't saying that ours is good, that New Englands is bad, etc....but it's just giving an actual REFERENCE. Because the information you provided, without any reference what so ever to others in the league, is somewhat useless in showing us a "good" or "bad" overall result. Though I definitely found it interesting data and appreciate the work for it.

If I give you $10 as a gift that could be really good if most gifts you've been getting are $5 dollars, but it'd be a horrible gift if most of your gifts have been $100 dollars. Without knowing what your typical gift amount is, there's no way to judge the $10 gift. Similarly, without knowing the typical success rate in the draft for a team it's hard to judge the record of the past 4 drafts.

Interesting analysis.

ZRagone ... nice research ... I appreciate that!

I should clarify that when I said impact in 2013 ... I meant that that player actually played and had an impact THIS season. Yeah, Nield played well, and actually looked like a great pick in his first year, but didn't do anything for the team this year.

I also left out a guy like Jordan Reed who made an impact in limited time. I also found that the team has some serious bad luck with recent picks' health. 

Thanks! I knew you meant making an impact THIS season (that's why I didn't include Hernandez as "impact" for example). My comment on Neild was in reference to one of the Patroits players. They have a guy who hasn't played a ton, is a backup rotational guy at best, but did manage to get two sacks. Looking at the stats and info, reminds me a lot of Nield in his first year. I was saying that if you would have considered Nield and "impact" pick the year he was drafted, then that Patriots player could be considered an "Impact" this year. From the sounds of it, you would count the player as an "impact"

On the flip side, if you're not going to include Jordan Reed then it'd really not be fair to count Gronkwoski at this point with how little he's actually played for the team this season.

As such the Patriots final numbers (Adding Michael Buchanan and taking away Gronk), would be 12 "Impact" players and 23 "Non-Impact" players...with two of the "Impact" players being 4th round or later.

Impacts...Three*: Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski*, Brandon Spikes

Non-Impacts...Nine: Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez, Zoltan Mesko, Ted Larsen, Thomas Welch, Brandon Deaderick, Kade Weston, Zac Robinson

Impacts...Three*: Nate Solder, Shane Vereen*, Stevan Ridley

Non-Impacts...Six: Ras-I Dowling, Ryan Mallet, Marcus Cannon, Lee Smith, Markell Carter, Malcom Williams

Impacts...Three: Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Alfonzo Dennard

Impacts...Three: Jamie Collins, Aaron Dobson, Logan Ryan

Non-Impacts...Four: Duron Harmon, Josh Boyce, Michael Buchanan, Steve Beauharnais

You could make an argument in that 2013 draft of Michael Buchanan, whose had very limited playing time but has registered two sacks. (I guess the question would be if you considered Nield's rookie year to be one you'd call an "impact")

The two guys with Astericks are people I wanted to comment on as well.....Vereen and Gronk have both been injured for most of the season, and in Gronk's case is out again. If you can't call Reed an "Impact" player for us this year, then I have a hard time actually labeling Gronkowski or Vereen as "Impact" Players for the Patroits this year at this point...but personally I would label Reed as having an "impact" for us this year so I listed both Gronk and Vereen.

That gives us 12 "Impact" players over the past 4 drafts and 23 "non-impact" players. That compares to 12 "Impact" players and 25 "non-impacts" during our past 4 drafts.

What else is interesting is you list Six "impact" players for us this year that was drafted in the 4th round or lower. New England has one such player, Alfonzo Denard in the 6th.

If I give you $10 as a gift that could be really good if most gifts you've been getting are $5 dollars, but it'd be a horrible gift if most of your gifts have been $100 dollars. Without knowing what your typical gift amount is, there's no way to judge the $10 gift. Similarly, without knowing the typical success rate in the draft for a team it's hard to judge the record of the past 4 drafts.

Good stuff. I'd disagree on a few of those names though.

Aaron Hernadez obviously did have a huge impact but obviously pissed away his shot.

Marcus Cannon missed a year with cancer but is their starting RG.

Harmon has played a decent amount this season and it's quietly having a decent rookie season.

Otherwise spot on.

Good research but I don't think anybody applauds NE for their drafts or FO management anymore. They have a great structure but they have made some bad decisions and blown many drafts lately including ones they have had tons of picks in. It's been one of their downfalls from the SB winning era IMO. They seem to have lost that magic touch. This further proves it but its interesting that Brady and BB and a select few others have been able to hold it together that well. 

Without looking I'd bet you'd find the same thing with the Manning era Colts who were also praised. Perhaps the key is just having an amazing HOF QB and you don't have to nail many draft picks. We obviously aren't there yet. 

As such the Patriots final numbers (Adding Michael Buchanan and taking away Gronk), would be 12 "Impact" players and 23 "Non-Impact" players...with two of the "Impact" players being 4th round or later.

I think it's a relatively fair comparison ... but I will add that the reason many of those players aren't seeing the field is because the person starting ahead of them on the depth chart is playing well. The Pats are 10-4 ... the Redskins are 3-11 ... at this point, no one on this roster is safe (obviously, Griff), yet none of those guys are seeing the field! 

A couple teams that have drafted extremely well that would be interesting comparisons:

1) Seattle

2) Kansas City

3) San Francisco

Alright, have the Green Bay information. Now, a disclaimer here (and it goes for the Patriots as well)...I don't watch them nearly as much as I watch the Redskins, so a Green Bay fan may be able to correct me a bit on terms of whose "impact" or not. Basically, I'm looking for people who have started for a significant time or have actually lodged some worth while stats if not starting.

Impact...Four: Mike Neal, Morgan Burnett, Andrew Quarless, James Starks

Not Impact...Three: Bryan Bulaga, Marshall Newhouse, CJ Wilson

Impact...One: Davon House

Not Impact...Nine: Derek Sherrod, Randall Cobb (Same reason as Reed), Alex Green, DJ Williams, Caleb Schlauderaff, DJ Smith, Ricky Elmore, Ryan Taylor, Lawrence Guy

Impact...Two: Nick Perry, Mike Daniels

Not Impact...Six:  Jerel Worthy, Casey Hayward, Jerron McMillian, Terrell Manning, Andrew Datko, BJ Coleman

Impact...Three: Datone Jones, Eddie Lacy, David Bahktiari

Not Impact...Eight: JC Tretter, Johnathan Franklin, Michael Hyde, Josh Boyd, Nate Palmer, Charles Johnson, Kevin Dorsey, Sam Barrinton

That's 10 Impact players for this year and 26 non-impact players.

Of the impact players, Five of them were 4th round picks or lower.

Good stuff. I'd disagree on a few of those names though.

Aaron Hernadez obviously did have a huge impact but obviously pissed away his shot.

Marcus Cannon missed a year with cancer but is their starting RG.

Harmon has played a decent amount this season and it's quietly having a decent rookie season.

Otherwise spot on.

Thanks for this!

Per the criteria of the poster I was responding to, the REASONS aaron hernadez didn't contribute an impact (on the field at least) to the 2013 Patriots is irrelevant. All that matters if he provided an on the field impact or not, and he didn't.

Thanks for catching that on Cannon, though looking at the depth chart again it's RT not RG. I'm going to update my post.

I'll do the same for Harmon as well as I look at the stat lines a little closer.

Archived