Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I'm well aware of Landry. I'm not going to try and recreate the film room up in here. I'm not sure when or where the word predominately became the word only, but I'm sure you'll link me the page. 

Just because Landry lined up, technically Outside, it doesn't mean he's going to be tasked to run a Deep Go or Deep Post and try to take the top off the defense, he doesn't have that type of athleticism. The film should have been enough for you to see that. But today should have at least verified it. 

He's going to be a Slot receiver. That's what he does well, that where you keep him. WHEN Landry lines up outside, he's going to be used underneath the defense on cutting, breaking routes -- like shallow cross or Dig. He's a guy who you find a way to get into spaces between Zone coverage and get the ball to his vacuum hands. 

He's not an outside guy in the mold of Bryant. That should be obvious. 

I don't care about arbitrary height numbers. If you can't see why Gruden would want Bryant then I can't help you. 

Im just saying Landry isn't strictly a slot guy. He is obviously not a 6'4 burner like Bryant either, but his route tree is much more diverse, and that is something you have to take into account. 

Unless you really value him as a decade plus Wes Welker type and view this draft/ season as another step/ building block for the long term and are thinking a draft ahead with next years first on a stud outside guy.

I really like what Landry brings and in that scenario, allied to a FA move and/ or another receiver drafted with hopefully development under this HC of the likes of Robinson and Hanks continued progress when fit, you're developing a strong young core for the duration.

Hail.

*Edit* I'd still take Richardson though. - :)

It's a shame we only can pick one. Beckham and Landry are such complements to one another. They both thrive since they have one another to rely upon. Landry, for his hands alone, is a great selection but you just have to find the right value. I think that's going to be different to a lot of people. 

I like Beckham a lot and he's under 6 feet. He's more of an outside guy than Landry due to his athleticism and matriculation. Landry naturally would compliment Bryant. I think Abbrederis would compliment Bryant, not be competitive against. 

There's just a limited chance on any of them and limited selections. Personally, I'd like to nail the outside receiver and be more apt to roll the dice on getting an inside guy later. 

Looking through the list of prospects at FS and ILB, it looks on face value to me that we will find it difficult to draft someone at either of those positions to offer us immediate help. Am I totally off the mark there ? Or at least the limited high end prospects means we would have to reach pick ??

It's a shame we only can pick one. Beckham and Landry are such complements to one another. They both thrive since they have one another to rely upon. Landry, for his hands alone, is a great selection but you just have to find the right value. I think that's going to be different to a lot of people. 

I like Beckham a lot and he's under 6 feet. He's more of an outside guy than Landry due to his athleticism and matriculation. Landry naturally would compliment Bryant. I think Abbrederis would compliment Bryant, not be competitive against. 

There's just a limited chance on any of them and limited selections. Personally, I'd like to nail the outside receiver and be more apt to roll the dice on getting an inside guy later. 

I honestly wouldn't be disappointed if we traded down and selected Bryant in the 2nd and Abberderis in the 3rd. 

Bryant showing up 11 pounds heavier than his ESPN listing is big. Put on some bulk, and is closer to what he'll probably want to be for the NFL. Him running a 4.4 despite adding 10 pounds is pretty good too.

Man I love Bryant! Was hoping we could nab him in the 4th but with this combine workout he could very well go in the 2nd round.

Looking through the list of prospects at FS and ILB, it looks on face value to me that we will find it difficult to draft someone at either of those positions to offer us immediate help. Am I totally off the mark there ? Or at least the limited high end prospects means we would have to reach pick ??

I don't know how long it would take for them to crack the starting lineup ... but Borland in the 2nd, Christian Jones/Yawin Smallwood/Shane Skov in the 3rd ... could all come in and start.

As for safety, I kind of agree. Which is why I want to attack FS in free agency.

What round do you think he goes in? Still in that 5th to 6th range or will that 40 time hype bump him up? If he's there in the 5th I don't see how we don't get him to be a slot protege

Yeah, probably 4-5. He doesn't really have a position and everyone already knew he was fast.

FS looks thin in FA too. Hard to see what direction we go there.

Bethea looks like a good option. Bryd, Jenkins and Mitchell are options, though they each have issues. Or go with an older placeholder type for Rambo or a draft pick (or for a FA next year if Rambo doesn't develop and we don't hit FS in the draft).

Yeah, probably 4-5. He doesn't really have a position and everyone already knew he was fast.

Never seen the guy in action before today, but instantly, and randomly,  thought of Dante Hall.

Bethea looks like a good option. Bryd, Jenkins and Mitchell are options, though they each have issues. Or go with an older placeholder type for Rambo or a draft pick (or for a FA next year if Rambo doesn't develop and we don't hit FS in the draft).

Yeah I think we're looking at a stop-gap. Bryd isn't going to be available by the looks of things.

Actually, the most important part of the combine is the medical evaluations/measurements/interviews.

Guys used to have to get MRI, cat scans, vitals, and travel to each team for interviews and workouts. The combine has made it easier on prospects and cheaper for teams. It's a brilliant move. It creates buzz, spectacle and allows stuff to get done in front of a large audience.

It also gives the coaches/scouts a chance to see their friends and pick their brains/work on business stuff.

The combine is one of the best things to happen to pro football.

Moncrief blew things up and could devin thomas his way to the top of the 2nd. I liked his film though but didn't think he was quite this athlete.

What do you mean by that? Most people had Thomas going mid-1st. No one expected him to fall to the 2nd on draft day. Thomas wasn't a riser at all.

So a 4.28 to follow a 4.29 for Archer. Chances are the official time moves up a tick, but that's still blazing.

I wish Archer had worked with the WRs because that's where I feel his fit is for the NFL. He needs to be a Slot WR.

Am I remembering correctly that Dexter McCluster was primarily a RB at Ole Miss? Seems like a similar player to compare to. That being said I haven't seen Archer play so I could be way off base

I'm not sold on any of the WRs in the draft this year as of right now.  Not any that we could get, anyways (Sammy Watkins).  We need WRs but I think we need some other posistions more, pass rushers and DBs stand out to me.

I like Calvin Pryor, big hitter, great ball skills, good tackler.  Its a matter of him hitting us at 34.

A world where we could also grab Dennard would be a world I want to live in, even with Amerson back there.

What do you mean by that? Most people had Thomas going mid-1st. No one expected him to fall to the 2nd on draft day. Thomas wasn't a riser at all.

Thomas was a decent prospect but it was his combine that got him talked as a first rounder. That's why he supposedly "fell" to us.

Am I remembering correctly that Dexter McCluster was primarily a RB at Ole Miss? Seems like a similar player to compare to. That being said I haven't seen Archer play so I could be way off base

Mccluster ran a slow 40 but yeah it's comparable. Mccluster also had very little experience overall, so archer has the leg up there.

And dat certainly didn't help himself. He could become a value pick late now.

We are so over due on drafting a WR that turns out. Hopefully Gruden doesn't over look some of the hyper talented "small receivers" for his preferred prototypical large receiver. If we even draft one that is. I would like to think that defense or Oline will be our first choice with 34 and then harvest some of the WR depth in the later rounds. Rotoworld has Landry falling due to running like Molases, I wonder if he will be there in the third or is that just crazy talk?

Couldn't agree more, Monk. We have a much better chance of finding an elite outside WR early, and a solid complementary slot WR in a later round, than we would trying it the other way around. If our BPA is a WR in the 2nd/3rd, I'd much rather grab our outside guy (like Bryant) then, and hope to get a slot guy later (if not Abbrederis in the 3rd, then there are lots of project types who could try to fill the slot that will be available later Saunders, Reese, Archer, Thomas etc...). Conversely, after a guy like Bryant comes of the board in the 2nd-3rd, quality outside WRs are going to be few and far between.

Bryant gives Griff another big red zone target, and a guy who can make great adjustments to go get the ball. Griff would greatly benefit from both.

We are so over due on drafting a WR that turns out. Hopefully Gruden doesn't over look some of the hyper talented "small receivers" for his preferred prototypical large receiver. If we even draft one that is. I would like to think that defense or Oline will be our first choice with 34 and then harvest some of the WR depth in the later rounds. Rotoworld has Landry falling due to running like Molases, I wonder if he will be there in the third or is that just crazy talk?

I don't think Gruden will overlook anyone. Landry certainly won't be there in the 3rd either.

Archived