Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Es Coverage - Redskins Verses Steelers

JimmiJo

Darryl Tapp does look pretty awesome. A lot of flexibility this year with who to use in different situations. Also, many are talking about how horrible the Steelers line is --which is true for most of their guys-- , but the one caveat is Coefield dominating Pouncey (pro bowler) on numerous occasions. Coefield was pretty damn dominant. 

The NFL record for INT TDs is 12 (Rod Woodson).  It is not a stretch to imagine Kerrigan breaking that given the nature of his INTs -- screen pass in opponent's territory.  (D. Green has 6.)  In fact, Parcells once told Simms that if he threw to Green, he would take him out.  We might see coaches say the same in regards to throwing screens to the right.

Darryl Tapp does look pretty awesome. A lot of flexibility this year with who to use in different situations. Also, many are talking about how horrible the Steelers line is --which is true for most of their guys-- , but the one caveat is Coefield dominating Pouncey (pro bowler) on numerous occasions. Coefield was pretty damn dominant. 

Cofield*

Again, I can't see us keeping 3 QB's with the lack of talent elsewhere. 

We'll go deeper than we'd like in other areas to compensate. And Rex will be there off the street in an emergency. 

I don't see any battle for the third slot at all. 

Hail. 

With RGIII coming off the surgery I think we will keep 3 QBs personally. I agree though there is no battle for the 3rd QB spot , Rex showed last night why its his spot - he can come in and operate the offense including a down field passing game (as long as its inside the hashes). Pat White gives you a running QB but almost zero passing game and certainly no drop back passing with no play action.

Hiding behind the rules when I guy chooses to hit another player low is cowardice imo. (I'm looking at you DJ Swearinger)

I was mad at Gomes when he went low on Adrain Peterson.

Football players by and large are smart and adaptable. They need to stop making excuses and change there strike zone.

Like always players should aim for the numbers and bring their arms to wrap.

Cut tackling is weak. Cut tackling to the lower legs is dirty and I will always view that as dirty.

The next step is people actually tackling by making contact with their chest/pads and using their arms to wrap.

And you know what the good players will still find a way to make big 'hits' using proper from.

One of the best tacklers on the team is Reed Doughty,  Reed Doughty is very physcally limited player.

Yet he is rarely ran over, but he is a form tackler and he ain't scared.

Don't hit low.

Maybe it's just me, but last nights game gave me a huge confidence booster. Cofield/Kerrigan was monsters out there. Being able to apply that kind of heat against any QB was something we failed to do last year as it will help this young questionable secondary.

Hiding behind the rules when I guy chooses to hit another player low is cowardice imo. (I'm looking at you DJ Swearinger)

I was mad at Gomes when he went low on Adrain Peterson.

Football players by and large are smart and adaptable. They need to stop making excuses and change there strike zone.

Like always players should aim for the numbers and bring their arms to wrap.

Cut tackling is weak. Cut tackling to the lower legs is dirty and I will always view that as dirty.

The next step is people actually tackling by making contact with their chest/pads and using their arms to wrap.

And you know what the good players will still find a way to make big 'hits' using proper from.

One of the best tacklers on the team is Reed Doughty,  Reed Doughty is very physcally limited player.

Yet he is rarely ran over, but he is a form tackler and he ain't scared.

Don't hit low.

Agreed. You can definitely still have very hard contacts on form tackles around the hips and lower torso.

Football is going to have to clean its tackling up eventually to stay alive. It's inevitable. All of the needlessly unsafe hits that are currently legal are some of the most conspicuously dangerous things about the game today. I think we'll eventually look back on the high hits and cut tackles as a relic of a more callous and dangerous era like we currently view the old clothesline and face mask tackles from the 60's and 70's.

Agreed. You can definitely still have very hard contacts on form tackles around the hips and lower torso.

Football is going to have to clean its tackling up eventually to stay alive. It's inevitable. All of the needlessly unsafe hits that are currently legal are some of the most conspicuously dangerous things about the game today. I think we'll eventually look back on the high hits and cut tackles as a relic of a more callous and dangerous era like we currently view the old clothesline and face mask tackles from the 60's and 70's.

In rugby they outlawed the tackle with the shoulder - you HAVE to use your arms or its a penalty. There was a big outcry when they brought the rule in with ex players and commentators saying it was not enforceable and would change the game, game was too fast etc etc In practice its worked brilliantly - reduced concussions (which was the point) and reduced contact injuries from dangerous tackles which were just players throwing themselves shoulder first into ball carriers.

If the NFL is serious about reducing contact injuries they should think about something similar.

From John Keim on twitter.

Still finishing up the offense, but like what I've seen from Tom Compton thus far vs. Jarvis Jones in protection

20/08/2013 15:12

Polumbus was a liability again in pass pro last night. Why they don't switch Compton to RT and make a switch there is becoming a puzzle to me.

Yeah Polumbus is going to get someone killed.

From John Keim on twitter.

Still finishing up the offense, but like what I've seen from Tom Compton thus far vs. Jarvis Jones in protection20/08/2013 15:12

Polumbus was a liability again in pass pro last night. Why they don't switch Compton to RT and make a switch there is becoming a puzzle to me.

I considered this as well. Every time polumbus failed, I kept picturing rg3 getting smacked. It's a scary reality that I wish I saw more concern for. Shoot slacking a little on defensive players is worth keeping your franchise qb healthy

I considered this as well. Every time polumbus failed, I kept picturing rg3 getting smacked. It's a scary reality that I wish I saw more concern for. Shoot slacking a little on defensive players is worth keeping your franchise qb healthy

Totally agree, even moreso after the injuries RG3 sustained last year.  A once-in-a-lifetime QB deserves top-notch pro.  I undertand OL's been hard to come by the last couple years, even moreso given the cap situation, but I so agree I wish I saw more concern as well.  I shudder to think what will happen if we lose Trent for any length of time, and Montgomery might be nearly as indispensable.

Maybe it's just me, but last nights game gave me a huge confidence booster. Cofield/Kerrigan was monsters out there. Being able to apply that kind of heat against any QB was something we failed to do last year as it will help this young questionable secondary.

And how quickly do people forget just how bad we were at bringing pressure last season:

1) Without Orakpo

2) With only a 4 man rush

3) AGAINST THE STEELERS who everyone keeps mentioning has an awful Oline as if that mattered before.

Yeah... as far as I'm concerned our front seven looks simply incredible and I'm unafraid to say it. Preseason or not, I haven't seen the type of consistent penetration from a Redskin Dline since maybe 2009 when Haynesworth was actually trying a little and we had Carter and Orakpo on the edges.     

Like an earlier poster i don't understand why Compton isn't our starting RT, why don't we put Hurt

back at backup LT were he did o.k

Filling in for Williams.

Because Hurt is, well, Hurt. :)

But you bring up a good point and I'm thinking that might be the plan. That being said, it's good that they're grooming Compton to be a swing tackle just in case and isn't it usually the case that if you can play competently at LT in the NFL you should be able to play even better at RT?

I mentioned this before and I'll say it again, it may just be that Compton is actually competing for the job at RT by playing at LT. 

Archived