Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could the Redskins win the Superbowl this year?

HogHeaven1983

I think every year you look at the league and roughly half the teams have a legitimate chance, and 4-5 teams are looked on as favorites.

For the longest time the 'Skins have been dwelling in the bottom half of the league with no real shot.

With the rebuilding effort now starting to pay dividends, and of course with a legit superstar QB, the 'Skins are firmly in the top half, so now anything can happen if the bounces go their way.

I think in another couple of years the 'Skins will be mentioned in that elite group of 4-5 favorites, and could reside there for a good run.

It's possible, but not likely. Seattle is overrated imo, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a step backwards this year.. but they could just as easily take a big leap forward.

The only good thing about the NFC west is that Seattle, SF and STL get to beat the snot out of each other 6x a year. Esp Sea & SF. There seems to be some bad blood between them so watching them kill each other will be enjoyable.

Seattle and San Francisco both were very healthy last season, also a key for any team that is going to make a deep run into the post season.

Yes, I do believe we have a chance to go to and win the SB this year.

What I've noticed in the 80's was trends, especially with the Redskins. First year they would make the playoffs, get bounced first round; next year they make the NFCC game and lose; following year, PARTY TIME SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS! Next year, lose in 2nd round of playoffs, then subsequently bowing out of contention. This happened a few times.

Teams that slowly grow seem to stay higher longer, and flash in the pan teams are hot one year then back to the cellar with ya.

The Redskins are a team with questions; how will RGIII perform this year? Will he suffer the sophomoric slump, or continue to 'electrify"? Will Cousins be put in if RGIII struggles?  Too many 'ifs' to contemplate, so I will have to sit back and wait and see.

Honestly, I doubt the Superbowl will be possible, but this could be the year the team grows and bonds like it hasn't in years. NFCC game? Quite possible. Not to pat Hamskins back, but I would need to see a big improvement in the defense, and we've all been through the Haslett discussion. If he can get things together, who knows? But one thing is for sure, a repeat of last year's 1st half of season performance will not bode well for any hopes of achieving a birth in the Superbowl...

SIC

Let's call it the double barrel offense. 

I enjoy seeing ideas of that...caliber 

If the receiving corp can get on page,  I'd sway to Gatlin Offense. Just crank out the firepower.

Special pkg called "Th' Judge",  "Daisy Cutter", oh hec I gotta quit, getting all worked up now on a subject

that might create a commotion with some sensitive viewers...

Well here's my take on it...

Last year, a 75% RG3 had us beating Seattle 14-0. And when he dropped to 3% we couldn't move the ball. 

And now Seattle is #1 on NFL.com's power rankings. 

With 'Rak back and Madieu off the team, our defense can only be better! Amerson and Thomas may not be great cover guys, but we know they will be able to catch the errant throws. 

Really, it comes down to health. If RG3 can stay healthy, and the o-line doesn't fall apart, we have a shot. 

Throwing out any objectivity and just going with gut fan instincts, I want this one SOOO bad just because Mara's sourpuss would implode at having to host the Skins in a SB in his house.

That would be AWESOME! We already won the East in the first year of his stealing our money. It stands to reason, the way things are going for us right now, we SHOULD win it again with relative ease (I say "relative" because anything can happen in a given season). If all goes well & relatively close to "as planned", we should be seeing that thief Mara & his Gnats being swatted backward again this season.

:giantsuck:

Throwing out any objectivity and just going with gut fan instincts, I want this one SOOO bad just because Mara's sourpuss would implode at having to host the Skins in a SB in his house.

I want it for every other reason as well, but this would be ****ing awesome. 

Let's call it the double barrel offense. 

I enjoy seeing ideas of that...caliber 

If the receiving corp can get on page,  I'd sway to Gatlin Offense. Just crank out the firepower.

Special pkg called "Th' Judge",  "Daisy Cutter", oh hec I gotta quit, getting all worked up now on a subject

that might create a commotion with some sensitive viewers...

I like it. They can call their jumbo/power package from the Pistol, the .357

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY. If the so called experts were honest in their projections. How do you not put the Skinz right there in the SB hunt? Which team in the division has done enough to warrant leap frogging them as far projecting the division? How long can we keep debating RGIII's knee? Lets be real about his play. Yeah, both injuries could be chalked up to rookie mistakes or even arrogance in so far as trying to do too much. Our pistol/read option protected him and bought more time on passing plays. Next would be our secondary weakness. We all saw the difference Meriweather made in his two games alone. This team comes to play w/ an explosive offense and an more than adequate defense on the up swing. Health has played more of issue than skill level in the playoffs and beyond. All those teams were essentially able to stay healthy all season. If anyone can honestly tell me w/ a healthy RGIII we loose that game then i am done. Looking at the NFCC who is heads and shoulders above us?

I would love it as much as anybody but all I really want is to have a season where we are the dominant team to beat in the division.

I want to start out 8 and 1 or 8 and 2 and finish 12 and 4 or something around there to show the league that were a team to be reckoned with again and not just a flash in the pan who rallied to squeak into the playoffs.

if we do that and lose in the conference championship ill be very happy with our season.

of course id love a superbowl too but I just want to be like the 49ers for example, they haven't won the superbowl yet but everybody knows there a threat and are a well respected and feared team because of it and that is what I so long for again.

we all know its almost impossible to win a SB without your star QB.  So if RGIII comes back healthy, even after the bye I think we have a solid chance.  And we are going to get plenty of evidence because we are playing the so called favorites this season during the regular games.  Even with some injuries I feel our depth is very good, and the level of experience from so many of our young players is also very good.  Anything is possible.

Call me homer but lets say last year we enter the playoffs with RGIII healthy.  And Orakpo, Merriweather and Davis not having out of the year injuries but 6-8 weeks injuries so they play in that Seattle game.  Doesn't anyone really believe Seattle would have had a chance in hell winning that game?  And don't forget they were as close to healthy as possible.  Then Atlanta?  Are  you kidding me, their D couldn't stop anyone.  I know injuries happen but when your star QB is out all bets are off.  I mean where would Green Bay be without Rogers.

One thing not mentioned, at least much, is this;  when the Redskins put down the news clippings, stop reading articles putting them in the SuperBowl before the season starts, and for god's sake beat the teams you are supposed to beat, it will not happen.

True, any team can catch fire, but this team does suffer from "we're the Redskins and we're playing a 3-10 team, so we win automatically" syndrome. Dare I bring up the Rams ? Panthers?  Having an ego is one thing, but if you cannot back it up when an opponent **** slaps you, then you're not going anywhere.

Mike should tell this team from the get-go to play with intensity and emotion, but do not let the intensity and emotion play you. If you go out and do your job without looking around for praise every time you make a tackle or catch, opponents respect you more; therefore more focus is put on you by the next opponent; which leaves the next person in line to have a field day because everyone's focusing on you.  It ends up being a constant game of catch-up, and guessing, by opponents; advantage, Redskins.

One thing not mentioned, at least much, is this;  when the Redskins put down the news clippings, stop reading articles putting them in the SuperBowl before the season starts, and for god's sake beat the teams you are supposed to beat, it will not happen.

True, any team can catch fire, but this team does suffer from "we're the Redskins and we're playing a 3-10 team, so we win automatically" syndrome. Dare I bring up the Rams ? Panthers?  Having an ego is one thing, but if you cannot back it up when an opponent **** slaps you, then you're not going anywhere.

I agree to an extent though this team is much different to the teams that would typically do this in Redskins fashion. Without replacement refs I'm sure we beat the Rams going away. I can recognize we had a poor game against the Panthers and they came to play. It happens.

I think a big step toward being a contender is that we have to get better playing with a lead. We had good size leads against the Saints, Rams, Vikings, Bucs, Cowboys off the top of my head (I'm sure there were others) and instead of putting these teams away we ended up in nail biters and near losses. Obviously, a big part of that is defense particularly the secondary which was a glaring hole last year especially at Safety. 

I think we can compete and play with anyone and once we are in the playoffs we can make a SB run just as well as anyone. What I want to see, to know that we are here to stay and aren't screwing around on either side is to put teams away. Step on their throat and finish teams off instead of letting them hang around. I'm hoping the defensive improvements will help in this regard but even the offense can improve here. Many times I feel like we wasted possessions or a couple times(Rams, Dallas) RG3 threw an Interception that helped the comeback. 

Sharpen up and turn into the juggernaut we know we can be. 

I agree to an extent though this team is much different to the teams that would typically do this in Redskins fashion. Without replacement refs I'm sure we beat the Rams going away. I can recognize we had a poor game against the Panthers and they came to play. It happens.

I think a big step toward being a contender is that we have to get better playing with a lead. We had good size leads against the Saints, Rams, Vikings, Bucs, Cowboys off the top of my head (I'm sure there were others) and instead of putting these teams away we ended up in nail biters and near losses. Obviously, a big part of that is defense particularly the secondary which was a glaring hole last year especially at Safety. 

I think we can compete and play with anyone and once we are in the playoffs we can make a SB run just as well as anyone. What I want to see, to know that we are here to stay and aren't screwing around on either side is to put teams away. Step on their throat and finish teams off instead of letting them hang around. I'm hoping the defensive improvements will help in this regard but even the offense can improve here. Many times I feel like we wasted possessions or a couple times(Rams, Dallas) RG3 threw an Interception that helped the comeback. 

Sharpen up and turn into the juggernaut we know we can be. 

The Rams game was a good example of mental breakdown. OK, a few plays happen that should have drawn

flags in the Redskins favor, but didn't, and it affected the team's focus. 

The Panthers game was IMO a case of 'hey the Panthers are nothing, hec, their QB is all over the media as being

selfish, we got this." Didn't work out so well, and the rest of their team stepped it up when needed, and we didn't.

I didn't expect to see a real efficient offense last season, but it clearly showed the difference between Rex and RGIII. I

can only imagine the numbers if RGIII had sat last year, we wouldn't have gotten to 6-10 with Rex, sadly.

But their chance to reflect on last year, and see where they can improve, and it starts with their mindset. You're right;

when the chances are there, blow them completely outta the stadium, don't give them a remote chance, and don't

get conservative while on a lead.

Rams & Panthers weren't bad in hindsight. Rams went 7-8-1 while having to face SF & Seattle twice; they nearly swept SF. Carolina finished 7-9, and including their win over us, went 6-3 to close out the year. I'm betting that if we faced the Rams & Panthers after the bye, we would've won. We beat inferior Philly (x2) & Cleveland teams down that stretch, we had Garcon back, and our D finally kinda put it together.

Rams & Panthers weren't bad in hindsight. Rams went 7-8-1 while having to face SF & Seattle twice; they nearly swept SF. Carolina finished 7-9, and including their win over us, went 6-3 to close out the year. I'm betting that if we faced the Rams & Panthers after the bye, we would've won. We beat inferior Philly (x2) & Cleveland teams down that stretch, we had Garcon back, and our D finally kinda put it together.

you bring up a good point; but chew on this for a little bit [ just figuratively  lol ] :  how many times have the Redskins faced an opponent where

A. opposing QB was in a slump or has a lot of controversy

B. opponents just fired their coach

C. opponents have one aspect of their team for the most part 3rd-4th stringer scrubs due to injuries

D. opponents going through a multi-game slump

And in every instance, they play the Redskins and they look like world beaters.

Intensity, or lack of, is a big problem for the Skins; taking the Rams lightly, maybe not playing with an urgency [ see Hankerson ]  or

losing their cool [ see josh Morgan ] when focus is needed. Now, losing to the Dolphins or Jets but beating the redskins says a lot about the team's unity; it seemed that in ways some players may have taken the saints game into mind and thinking ' ehh, we'll win cause RGIII will pull it out in the end. It doesn't work that way.

With the parity that seems to be in the NFL, anyone could win the Super Bowl.

It's too soon to tell now, though. Anything coudl happen between opening day and Super Sunday.

Call me back at the end of November and we'll have a clearier picture.

Competing for the Superbowl checklist:

1.   X Franchise QB

So long as Griffin is upright, we're in it to win it.

I must add...our o-line looked better last season, and they'll have to work extra hard next season with every other team wanting to figure out the pistol offense. 

And stop trying for hard hits on defense...just tackle properly.

Hail!

Archived