Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

22 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

God as my witness, we will triumph in the end and earn the right to get that ass whooped by Milwaukee.  👌

I'm convinced God doesnt like sports because too many people praying against each other, so good luck with that, :ols:

Getting Ted fired is equivalent to having two of these ever elusive, ancient bird pokemon 50 win seasons in the same season, so we on cusp of greatness regardless.

Give us us free.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I had no idea y'all hadn't won 50 games in that long. I just naturally assumed the Wizards got at least one out of those Gilbert/Pre injury Wall years.

Seems unbelievably difficult to achieve 

I actually get tired of that being the goal every year in the wizards thread. I've seen us get 49, its consistency when it doesnt matter that always holds us back for when it does, why you see us keep getting knocked out by the 1 seed. 

Is it anymore crazy then Redskins not having 11 win season since early 90s?  I seriously hope my teams dont do me like the Cubs did and have me wait until I'm so old I'm getting applesauce introveneously by time they win another championship. Or win 50 or 11 games. 

I get why @stevemcqueen1 doesnt watch them anymore (at least I believe hes taking a break until Ernie is fired).

Edited by Renegade7

Harden put up 58 points tonight (and it's not even his season high).  It's the 6th time he's scored 50 or more this year.  To put that in perspective, Steph Curry and Kevin Durant have six 50 point games each in their careers

I still can't believe OKC traded him for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, and two 1st round picks (Steven Adams and Alex Abrines).  Those fools had Westbrook, Durant, and Harden.... and they got zero rings out of it. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I had no idea y'all hadn't won 50 games in that long. I just naturally assumed the Wizards got at least one out of those Gilbert/Pre injury Wall years.

Seems unbelievably difficult to achieve 

Not even during the C-Webb or Jordan years either.

It boils down to an unbroken line of awful management and awful coaching over the last several decades.  The Wizards are a mom and pop franchise and they've had no ownership or management with the vision and capacity to actually grow the franchise and the fanbase is one of the league's smallest, and it simply doesn't have the power to force changes and keep ownership/management accountable.  And there are some structural challenges built into the NBA system that cut mom and pops off at the knees.  It's a real challenge to sell tickets and broadcasts for 82 Wizards games and that's the true end goal of the powers that be.

The level of sustained incompetence of the Grunfeld regime is actually pretty incredible.  You're right that it's been hard for the Wizards to have failed to win 50 with Arenas/Wall.  Threadbare rosters.  Awful coaching.  Awful drafting.  Awful trading.  Awful free agent signings.  Awful culture.  I think some of my favorite little tidbits that illustrate just how bad Ernie's roster building has been are:

1 - by the trade deadline of Wall's second season, he was already the longest tenured player on the Wizards.

2 - This current Wizards dumpster fire of a team currently has one player who was either drafted or acquired in trade of a draft pick since 2013.  And that player doesn't play.  On a terrible team.  That is seven straight years of draft picks that Ernie basically lit on fire.  And it's not over either, Ernie has traded our second round picks for like the next five years on a litany of short term rentals.

And as always,

3 - Ernie traded the 5th pick in the Steph Curry draft for Mike Miller and Randy Foye.  He unequivocally should have been fired after that.  But here were are a decade later and he's still on the job.

Ernie also hires and keeps around weak coaches specifically for the purpose of having a scapegoat to fire when his teams collapse in order to save his job.

Ernie has been negotiating and receiving his contract extensions in secret since at least 2012.  That's covered at least three different extensions and we only found out about them well after the fact.  The team does this because they are afraid of the wrath of this tiny fanbase.

And the saddest part of all of this is that Ernie is still a better GM than Wes Unseld and Michael Jordan were.  And, unfortunately, that is the very low bar that he has to clear to keep his job running this incompetent, noncompetitive mom and pop franchise.

Another illustration of how uncompetitive the team is: we're nine years into Wall's career and the publicly stated goal of Ownership and Management is to win 50 games and make the conference finals.  And they state these meager ass goals without any shame.  JFC.  There are a million other little demonstrations of half-assing every aspect of basketball operations and a total lack of accountability that goes right on down to the ****ing towel boys not bothering to pay attention and players falling on sweat spots and getting hurt.

I can't follow the team any more.  It's such a worthless organization.  I like watching some of the players but that's not enough to overcome hating the coaching, management, and ownership.  Basketball needs a relegation system to deal with organizations like the Wizards.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Destino said:

Harden put up 58 points tonight (and it's not even his season high).  It's the 6th time he's scored 50 or more this year.  To put that in perspective, Steph Curry and Kevin Durant have six 50 point games each in their careers

I know those may seem like MVP caliber numbers, but have you seen the way Russell Westbrook is gobbling up defensive rebounds?!?

51 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'll never understand why people drink water afterwards. That is murder.

Because they’re fools.  When you’re trying to set a new #1 on your personal hot list, you get the milk (or better yet, milkshake) ready before your start.  Never water or soda.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I know those may seem like MVP caliber numbers, but have you seen the way Russell Westbrook is gobbling up defensive rebounds?!?

You need some new material. Westbrook isn't even the more deserving mvp on his own team this year.

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Because they’re fools.  When you’re trying to set a new #1 on your personal hot list, you get the milk (or better yet, milkshake) ready before your start.  Never water or soda.  

I drank soda once, purely to prove my superiority. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

You need some new material. Westbrook isn't even the more deserving mvp on his own team this year.

I drank soda once, purely to prove my superiority. 

On one hand, you’re right.  I can and should do better.

On the other, bagging on Westbrick will always hold a certain appeal for me.  I can’t help it.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Destino said:

Half and half works well too.  The fat coats the inside of your mouth and disolves the capsaicin.

Alcohol does it too.  Nothing is better than drinking a strong margarita with some spicy ass tex-mex food.  Pure pleasure.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

@stevemcqueen1 my magic 8 ball said you'll be back 

I'll still generally observe the NBA and try and watch other teams play, but I'm not watching the Wizards any more.  Maybe if Ernie gets fired I can buy in again, but it'd take getting a real GM and coach to convince me the Wizards are honestly interested in growing and competing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'll still generally observe the NBA and try and watch other teams play, but I'm not watching the Wizards any more.  Maybe if Ernie gets fired I can buy in again, but it'd take getting a real GM and coach to convince me the Wizards are honestly interested in growing and competing.

I know, I dont blame you at all at this point, we saw this coming in wizards thread.  I believe Ernie is gone end of the year, Ted is sending smoke signals like I haven't seen before. Want to believe the next GM wont be an idiot, but theres that hope thing again I keep going through.  A Vinny to  Bruce transition would be devastating, but Ted's new GM won the Caps a ring.  

Agreed, I want the GM to find a smart coach that can grow together and make the call on either extending Beal or trading him (preferably keeping him).

KD, Westbrook, and Harden weren't what they are today yet, but I cannot get over Brooks having all three and getting nothing out of it.  If theres a worse wasted opportunity in NBA history, I'm all ears.