Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

John Wall deserves a level of credit that I don't think anyone outside our fanbase cares about or truly understands for deciding to sign his extension. He had no reason to outside of returning the same loyalty our franchise and fan base showed him, one run by an immortal dumbass and hasn't won more then 50 games since the 70s.

I love Wall, I really do. But this is just not true.

Wall is slated to make 40+ million a year over the four years of that contract since its a supermax deal. He was only eligible last season after making All NBA, iirc.

His reasons for signing that extension were NOT altruistic.

14 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I'm going to come back to yours and @PeterMP points later, but are we on the same page that some of these stars make as much or even more via endorsements then they do on their contracts.  That's my main point on that, so I disagree with you on how much of a factor the supermax extension.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

but are we on the same page that some of these stars make as much or even more via endorsements then they do on their contracts.

I mean I guess, but why turn down an extra 15 million? (and FYI, Wall doesn't make anywhere near 40 million in endorsements)

His reasons were not at all altruistic.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I mean I guess, but why turn down an extra 15 million? (and FYI, Wall doesn't make anywhere near 40 million in endorsements)

His reasons were not at all altruistic.

Benning, the bolded is my point, he's not going to get that in DC, everybody knows that, he's even said that, his agent has said that as well.  He could sign for less elsewhere some other stars have knowing they can make up that income and then some, he decided not to do that, he totally could have.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

he decided not to do that, he totally could have.

that is quite literally the point lol.

His reasons were not altruistic. He saw the bag, and got it.

If he had the chance to get that bag elsewhere, and signed then I would get it. If he turned down money, I would get it. He did neither.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah it was about money.  A DPVE is MASSIVELY bigger than an open market max extension from somewhere else.

I do think he loves DC though, and the city is his.

exactly. None of that doesn't mean Wall doesn't like going to Capitale, Park, or Stadium and enjoying the greatness of DC. He loves this city.

I am just not gonna allow a narrative that Wall re-signed only because he wants to make this team a super team.

(Also, I really wish our fans and the Wizards stop treating DC like its a small market)

10 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I love Wall, I really do. But this is just not true.

Wall is slated to make 40+ million a year over the four years of that contract since its a supermax deal. He was only eligible last season after making All NBA, iirc.

True player loyalty is a rarity in this day and age.  Especially when it can be "bought" by a team.  It's a business first for them and it should be. 

8 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

that is quite literally the point lol.

His reasons were not altruistic. He saw the bag, and got it.

If he had the chance to get that bag elsewhere, and signed then I would get it. If he turned down money, I would get it. He did neither.

No, you're saying him taking the safe money instead of seeing if he could make more elsewhere was the cruz of his decision.  I don't agree with this, he's complained about the fact he knows he can make more elsewhere, he bit the bullet anyway.  Remember he put us on notice about getting our team together to compete, he was ready to go.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No, you're saying him taking the safe money instead of seeing if he could make more elsewhere was the cruz of his decision.

I am not saying that.

What I am saying is that Wall didn't sign for what you tried to paint as his reasons. He had a reason. He was eligible for the supermax last year and that was gonna make him 80 million more than he could have if he waited.

He also loves DC and wants to be here, but it wasn't that hard a reason like you suggested.

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

He also loves DC and wants to be here, but it wasn't that hard a reason like you suggested.

Fair, but it certainly wasn't an easy one either.  If he's wrong, he never gets a ring and loses the potential to not only get rings but more money elsewhere.  He knew that risk and stayed anyway, he could've gone off to form a superteam elsewhere and he didn't.  Odds are not in his favor on this decision versus the alternative, I just can't get down with saying that doesn't matter, not in this day in age.

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm going to come back to yours and @PeterMP points later, but are we on the same page that some of these stars make as much or even more via endorsements then they do on their contracts.  That's my main point on that, so I disagree with you on how much of a factor the supermax extension.

The elite players do, but many don't.

Pau Gasol's national attention went up going from LA to Memphis and playing on contender (not that Memphis was bad with him, but the Lakers were better).  Do I think he made much more from endorsements?  I doubt it.

There was probably a little bit better going to LA, but to my knowledge, he didn't get any national endorsements, and in LA he had to share with the Clippers and Kobe vs. in Memphis he was the star.

IF Wall could land with the Lakers or Knicks AND have them be a good team where he was the star of the team, he'd probably make more money.  That's a lot of ifs.

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

The elite players do, but many don't.

Pau Gasol's national attention went up going from LA to Memphis and playing on contender (not that Memphis was bad with him, but the Lakers were better).  Do I think he made much more from endorsements?  I doubt it.

There was probably a little bit better going to LA, but to my knowledge, he didn't get any national endorsements, and in LA he had to share with the Clippers and Kobe vs. in Memphis he was the star.

IF Wall could land with the Lakers or Knicks AND have them be a good team where he was the star of the team, he'd probably make more money.  That's a lot of ifs.

He's elite but is fighting to get treated like one on the national level.  

I looked at the math, he definitely made more staying in DC from a contract standpoint then if he chose to leave just from the max contract rules standpoint.  This is when you look at what he got via DVPE vs hitting the open market, but if you factor in the fact he got back with Adidas (which he came back to because no one was taking him seriously from a national star standpoint), we know he's at least making the $8 million a year he was getting before but not confirmed he got the $10 million a year he wanted before leaving.  That comes very close to closing the gap if he choose to leave (factoring each year contract going up + the $8-$10 million from Adidas), another deal would've put him over.  

DC is a larger market then its given credit for, but the Wizards aren't treated like that at all (and part of is our fan base doesn't match the size of our market).  It really doesn't make sense, but that's what's happening and everybody knows it.

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You get that offered that kind of money, you take it, especially with Wall's injury history.

Hard to argue against this, though he went right up to the line of basically threatening us anyway knowing he could make more here staying. Money is a factor, but this isn't just about money.  

I'm fine with dropping this if ya'll are, I can't tell if ya'll agree with anything else I said because you disagree so strongly with a part of it (hate when that happens).

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Lebron has nearly outscored the entire Pacers starting 5 and they are still barely ahead with 5min to go 

Oladipo ain't nearly enough to help counter that, and no one else on his team bout that life to help him, either.  Sad ****, typically a better team should take out the better player if its 1 on 5, but if you don't come correct, Lebenon will straight Thanos your ***.