Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

So if Lebron takes the max(5 years/130M), how will the others sign? I'm still trying to figure this one out.

They can sign their own players for bigger contracts without penalty ( I believe , Bird rules).

This gives them a chance to sign pretty much anyone, but it is a very risky move.

If I were LeBron I would go the Dirk or Duncan route at this point. Even do what Jordan did. Jordan made about 100M over 3 years. He just kept signing one year deals.

LeBron is going to get paid no matter what. As a Lakers fan it irritates me that Kobe and the Lakers agreed to his insane deal. I understand they wanted him to be a lifer, and I understand he wanted to get paid...but damn.

They can sign their own players for bigger contracts without penalty ( I believe , Bird rules).

This gives them a chance to sign pretty much anyone, but it is a very risky move.

If I were LeBron I would go the Dirk or Duncan route at this point. Even do what Jordan did. Jordan made about 100M over 3 years. He just kept signing one year deals.

LeBron is going to get paid no matter what. As a Lakers fan it irritates me that Kobe and the Lakers agreed to his insane deal. I understand they wanted him to be a lifer, and I understand he wanted to get paid...but damn.

It would count against the tax, but not the cap.

Enjoyed that as well. They were absolutely KILLING him from the first reply on (including an apparent mod saying he was keeping the thread open for the humor). Great reading.

But yeah, the Stadium thread got me curious: what is the most insignificant team in the league? Gotta be Milwaukee right?

For good teams, playoff-caliber teams, I think it's Portland. For whatever reason I don't give them any thought at all. If I fell into a coma and they folded, when I awoke I think it'd be awhile before I noticed they were gone unless someone told me.

I'm sure being a West Coast team has a lot to do with it, but there's definitely more to it than that. Not sure what though.

And no offense to anyone on here (sadly, undoubtedly, fans around the country would probably list my Wizards), but the Bobcats/Hornets are probably up there as well.

The reason Portland seems irrelevant is because they're arguably the most remote franchise in the league now that Seattle moved to OKC. I think the closest teams to them are Golden State/Sacramento and Utah. It's like a 9 hour drive between Portland and Sacramento and I think an 11 hour drive to Salt Lake City.

Their geographic situation hurts their national exposure. I think they have a bigger built in disadvantage signing FAs than anyone else because of that plus the fact their state income tax is one of the highest in the country.

But Portland has a good franchise history that keeps them relevant to the NBA. They won a championship and Bill Walton was incredible in 77 and 78. They made a Finals with Drexler. They're relevant for the wrong reasons because of the Sam Bowie and Greg Oden. I think they're as snake bit as the Wizards, so I sympathize with their fans. Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge keep them relevant today.

Milwaukee is also relevant to me because of their franchise history. They won a title and had Oscar and Kareem. Plus they were good in the early 80s, they owned their division until the Jordan Bulls got good. Don Nelson was pretty awesome for them. They were also pretty good back when Ernie Grunfeld was their GM and George Karl was the coach and Ray Allen and Sam Cassell were there. They've actually got a really good history with a lot of great former players. They kind of remind me of the 76ers in that respect.

If I'm being objective, I'd say the Bullets/Wizards were one of the three most irrelevant non-expansion teams in the league.

They're still the redheaded stepchild of D.C. sports even though they're turning a corner. We have a great franchise history from the 1970's with a title and several truly great players. But as soon as that decade ends it's near total irrelevancy mixed with relevancy because of infamy. If you look at the list of greatest players and seasons in franchise history, all of them except Gil are from before 1980: Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, Walt Bellamy, Pearl, Chenier, Gus Johnson, etc. After that, you've got Les Boulez defining the history of the franchise. Past their prime former greats showing up for a season or two like MJ, Moses, and Bernard Pierce. And choosing the wrong the horse whenever a trade or free agency decision came up. Our only other period of relevancy came from the short Gilbert Arenas run but that's not great. Those teams peaked at 45 wins and one playoff series victory.

The other two most irrelevant pre-1980's expansion era franchises are the Clippers and Kings. The Clippers relevancy came only from Donald Sterling's infamy, they've got the worst franchise history of any pre-expansion team. This Blake Griffin/CP3 era is literally as good as it gets for them.

Sacramento was relevant back when they were in Rochester at the beginning of the league. They were relevant in Cincinnati solely due to Oscar Robertson and Jerry Lucas. Then they're essentially irrelevant for a Wizards-like three decades until the CWebb era comes about (at Washington's expense). They too sent off an alltime great a failure much like we did with MJ in Bill Russell in the 80's. The Kings are basically the Wizards of the Western Conference.

But if we include expansion teams, the Bobcats/Hornets are the most irrelevant team in the league hands down. To be clear, the franchise that moved from Charlotte to New Orleans is not irrelevant. They've got a very good history considering they've only been around 25 years. The franchise that came into the league in 2004 is relevant SOLELY for producing the worst season ever.

New Orleans Pelicans or Utah Jazz are easily the most insignificant teams, imo. Feel sorry for Davis and Hayward.

The Jazz have the fifth highest franchise winning percentage in the league. Since 83-84, they've only missed the playoffs six times. They're one of the best franchises in the league.

The Pelicans were relevant when they were in Charlotte and during the Chris Paul era after they moved to New Orleans. And they're going to be relevant again now that they've got Anthony Davis. They're a quality franchise.

The Bobcats/current Hornets are not.

The Pelicans were relevant when they were in Charlotte and during the Chris Paul era after they moved to New Orleans. And they're going to be relevant again now that they've got Anthony Davis. They're a quality franchise.

The Bobcats/current Hornets are not.

...said the Wizards fan. Who haven't been relevant since 1978. Edited by Bubble Screen

Sure. But at least they've been relevant at one point.

Hornets were relevant when they had the Big 3 and were selling out every year and were the top merchandise seller, next to the Bulls.

They'll be relevant again.

Edit: I meant basketball in Charlotte will be relevant again with the Hornets name.

Edited by Bubble Screen

...said the Wizards fan. Who haven't been relevant since 1978.

That's a lie. If you want to say that relevancy equals championships, then sure. 

But if relevancy means being in the public's attention, one way or another, bad or good, this team has been relevant. 

But yeah, the Stadium thread got me curious: what is the most insignificant team in the league? Gotta be Milwaukee right?

The Bucks arent that far removed from a playoff appearance. They just happened to play the Heat and got trounced. The Bucks are just as relevant as the Wiz. Only difference is that they have a new owner and we arent quite sure what type of owners they are. We know what Leonsis is like...

Can't post images on mobile, but has anyone seen how thirsty Chicago is for Melo?

https://twitter.com/SteveLippo/status/484021868844707840

Friends out here are attempting to justify it, but I personally think it looks just as desperate as what the Lakers did for Dwight. I'm sure there will be a hash tag campaign started by the end of the night.

What does any of this have to do with Charlotte?

• Like 2

Can't post images on mobile, but has anyone seen how thirsty Chicago is for Melo?

https://twitter.com/SteveLippo/status/484021868844707840

Friends out here are attempting to justify it, but I personally think it looks just as desperate as what the Lakers did for Dwight. I'm sure there will be a hash tag campaign started by the end of the night.

Too bad Derrick Rose publicly stated that he wouldn't help get Melo to sign with the Bulls. First chance he gets to help the team in years and he refuses to play ball. :)

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11163634/miami-heat-eye-kyle-lowry-pay-chris-bosh-dwyane-wade-less

So LeBron wants a max(On top of being the king of endorsements/investment), and he wants his boys to take a MASSIVE pay cut while getting a kid in his prime to take less than market value to play with them.

I never really thought it until now, but LeBron James is kind of a dick.

• Like 2

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11163634/miami-heat-eye-kyle-lowry-pay-chris-bosh-dwyane-wade-less

So LeBron wants a max(On top of being the king of endorsements/investment), and he wants his boys to take a MASSIVE pay cut while getting a kid in his prime to take less than market value to play with them.

I never really thought it until now, but LeBron James is kind of a dick.

If he signs a two year max deal, I really wonder what was said in that opt out meeting a couple days ago.

Something along the lines of, "Look you guys are washed up and you're going to die in Miami. I can get a max deal and go to any team in the league. You can either take a pay cut and compete for championships the next two years. Or get paid and win 40 games a year without me."

NBA players are hierarchical. Max deals are symbolic points of pride. If James demands a max deal, a big part of that will be to send a message he's the best and highest paid player in the league (apart from Kobe's team killing deal of course.)

• Like 1