Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Thoughts on tanking

1 - I think it's overblown.  In the NFL we call it rebuilding and everyone praises franchise for being patient.  No one accuses Jacksonville of tanking because we know that they are just incompetent.  There have been many teams that win 3 or less games in the NFL and that's comparable to tanking NBA teams. 

2 - The worst teams should get the best player.  I firmly believe that.  I think rewarding better teams with better players is an AWFUL idea because I want as many competitive teams as possible. 

3 - if you want to stop tanking then prevent the same team from getting a top 5 pick in consecutive seasons.  They are automatically 6th or worse.  If they make it into the top of the draft a third year, 11th or worse.  Remove the incentive to stay bad but don't stop teams from dumping salaries and looking to rebuild, especially in a league with guaranteed contracts.

Not a comparable situation in football and hockey. You can't get to the playoffs on the back of a single star in those sports. Those drafts are also way deeper. You routinely get impact players outside the top five picks and you don't in the NBA. There is waaaaay more incentive to intentionally sabotage your roster in the NBA than the other sports.

#2 is too subjective. Who is the worst team this season? If you just go by record, then you will make tanking even more of a problem.

I like #3 but I'd change it to top three or four in consecutive years instead of top five. Probably four because the worst record never picks worse than fourth. But draft picks #4 and #5 in most NBA drafts are a big drop off from 1-3.

I got this from my Kings website....

There have been nine 20-20-10 games in modern NBA history (since 1985-86 when database is searchable).

We have just seen 2 of them back to back.

<<the Kings>> have lost both games.

Boogie is averaging 29.0pts 20.7reb 8.3ast 1.7stl 4.3blk in his last three games...and <the Kings> have lost them all. Reread that. That's not possible.

So here we are, first hand witnesses to the blooming of a legend, and oh so incredibly unworthy.

4/3/2015 Demarcus Cousins 24-20-13
4/1/2015 DeMarcus Cousins 24-21-10

amazing squandering of an amazing talent going on right now :(

Edited by mcsluggo
  • Like 1

Wonder if he still wants to play with John Wall?

Wizards aren't about to blow up their team to trade for him though.

I'd trade any two players not named Wall and two unprotected #1 picks for Boogie right now, today. The problem is that the Kings would laugh at any offer the wizards could make, and they'd be right to do so.