Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I think after you factor in taxes, the money he's getting in Houston isn't that much of a drop off from what he was making while playing for the Lakers.

You only save so much money from state income tax differences because everyone still plays half their games on the road. More is made of the state income tax advantage of Texas and Florida than really exists.

Plus the Lakers were making offers to Dwight that would have made him even more money, like giving him a TV show.

Dwight left tens of millions of dollars on the table to leave LA because he and Kobe despise each other and Houston was such a better basketball situation for him. I agree with LKB, it's still astonishing to this day. First and only time it's really happened. You would think Melo naturally would have been the next to do it, but nope, he took the money. We'll see what Love does summer. I really have no feel whatsoever for what he might do. On paper, Cleveland is not supposed to be a bad basketball situation.

I don't know why people don't show up for winning teams, basic thought dictates if a team is doing well, then the fans should go to see them play and support them. But the Hawks even with "Tinder night" still struggle to get attendance in the NBA. Nothing pisses me off more than empty seats because it seriously shows that the fans don't care. 

I don't care that tickets are "too high", you can get them off Stubhub for like 5 dollars. Go out and support the team. 

Nothing pisses me off more than bad attendance for good teams.

It's Atlanta. Fans don't show up for any of their teams. There are more and better Braves fans in the Carolinas than ATL itself. Nobody in Atlanta is from Atlanta. They only attend local sporting events because of novelty or they're looking for something to do or because their office gave them tickets. UGA Football is all that people in the state of Georgia care about.

Wouldn't people want to see the best team in the East? Wouldn't people bandwagon on? I really don't understand. 

I don't want to totally sidetrack this thread, but the incredibly weird racial politics in Atlanta play a factor in their team's attendance issues too, I think. (I don't think that's a totally radical thing to say considering the team is being sold for pretty much this very reason). Atlanta seems like one of the last American cities where suburbanites still get angry about the very thought of having to visit it for entertainement.

It's possible that if the Hawks had a suburban arena, their home games would resemble OKC's home games. It's hard to say.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

:lol:

Years from now, when the memories from the 2014-15 season are mere shadows in the fog, the children of a revitalized city of Detroit will gaze upon the bronze statue of Stan Van Gundy waiving Josh Smith1 and know: That was the moment everything turned around.

Every December 22, Detroit’s citizens will gather for a three-day festival, at the end of which a wooden model of Smith will be ritually cast out, and a huge tapestry representing his contract will be torn into five pieces. The people of Detroit will do these things because, while removing a surly 6-foot-9, high-usage ocean of bricks from a basketball team should naturally improve the performance of said team, the extent to which the Pistons have improved post-Smith is magical.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-shootaround-detroit-vs-everybody/

• Like 1

There being a pretty good chance that San Antonio and OKC finish as the 7 and 8 seeds, I'm not so sure I would want to be the 1 and 2 seeds if I'm Golden State and Portland.

Still too early to say how its going to shake out.   

And to be honest, there are no freebies out West this year anyway.  Playing Memphis, Dallas, Houston, or the Clippers isn't much different.  As a Dubs fan, I'd prefer to play OKC than Memphis in the first round.  

I want to see this new Cleveland team healthy and on the court at the same time.  Despite surrendering too much to get Mosgov I think that they might have made themselves a lot better.  Lebron, Kyrie, and Love don't defend very well so they added a very good perimeter defender and a good rim defender.  If you ignore the cost, those moves were in the right direction.

Not sure if 2 defenders out of 5 is enough but it's better than zero. 

Still too early to say how its going to shake out.   

And to be honest, there are no freebies out West this year anyway.  Playing Memphis, Dallas, Houston, or the Clippers isn't much different.  As a Dubs fan, I'd prefer to play OKC than Memphis in the first round.

By the time the playoffs roll around, you won't feel that way. Playing the best player in the world + one of the best guards will be one of the least preferable outcomes.

I also think there is a real difference in quality between the Clippers and Rockets and the rest of the good teams.

• Like 1

By the time the playoffs roll around, you won't feel that way. Playing the best player in the world + one of the best guards will be one of the least preferable outcomes.

I also think there is a real difference in quality between the Clippers and Rockets and the rest of the good teams.

Its a matchup thing as well as a quality thing.  Dubs always do well against OKC.  Durant will always get his numbers, but they handle Westbrook and Ibaka well, and OKC's awful heroball offensive sets play right into the strengths of Golden State's defense.   Dubs also match up very well against the Clippers and Mavs because they defend the 3 very well.  I think only Portland is better at that.     

Meanwhile. Memphis just crushes the Dubs down low with Zach Randolph.  He fouls everyone out.  Spurs also have a long history of humiliating the Warriors with the extra pass and the Tony Parker fountain of youth.   Houston is also tough on them - Patrick Beverly goes HAM every time they play.  

I'm sure it is the same thing for the Wizards.   Some teams just give you more trouble and some give you less.