Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

One highlight doesn't change much for me.   I'm having trouble seeing Len as anything more than the stiff that he looked like last year.   Maybe that's because I didn't watch Maryland play very much.   

Yeah, he's not a stiff. Far from it actually.

He's a very good athlete (as seen in that video).

But he's very inexperienced as a basketball player.

Up until a few years ago he was a gymnast.

yeah, Drummond as well. I forgot about him even though I believe he is the best of this group.

my thing with Deandre is that he is a run and jumper. No real post play. He is also a terrible FT shooter. I just dont have him in this class. He also not that good a defender too, even though he is great at rebounding and swatting shots.

I have to watch more of Favors, but he never convinces me.

because he plays for the Wizards. Its the only reason why.

The fact that Nerlens is a good defender is enough for me to not say he sucks. (FTR, I also think Otto is better but he has not shown much to be celebrating us drafting him)

I think Nerlens has an IMMENSE upside due to his defense.  He can potentially be an anchor.....but Destino is right, neither him or Otto warrant a "who is better" conversation, but I just think putting one above the other is crazy...especially since both guys haven't asserted themselves in the league yet. 

*edit*

if you had a top-5 list for centers under 25, would Len even make the cut? 

Edited by RonArtest15

I think Nerlens has an IMMENSE upside due to his defense.  He can potentially be an anchor.....but Destino is right, neither him or Otto warrant a "who is better" conversation, but I just think putting one above the other is crazy...especially since both guys haven't asserted themselves in the league yet. 

*edit*

Considering he's only been a starter for a few weeks, its probably better to revisit that question at the end of the season.

Speaking of Alex Len

Suns drop a tough one in Memphis.122-110 in Double OT. @alexlen with a double-double 14 pts and 13 reb. #SunsAtGrizz

Alex Len last 4 games: 9.0 points, 10.3 rebounds. 3.5 blocks per game, 53.6 FG%, 85.7 FT% #Suns #SunsAtGrizz

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yeah, he's not a stiff. Far from it actually.

He's a very good athlete (as seen in that video).

But he's very inexperienced as a basketball player.

Up until a few years ago he was a gymnast.

I meant a stiff in terms of basketball skills.  

The Warriors used to have this guy Adonal Foyle.  Great kid - big, smart and very athletic.   His athletic ability made him a very good shotblocker.   Unfortunately, he lacked actual basketball skills.  He took up the sport late (he played track and soccer as a kid), and he never developed those skills.   Len looks like the same story to me.

The Warriors used to have this guy Adonal Foyle.  Great kid - big, smart and very athletic.   His athletic ability made him a very good shotblocker.   Unfortunately, he lacked actual basketball skills.  He took up the sport late (he played track and soccer as a kid), and he never developed those skills.   Len looks like the same story to me.

Just keep your eye on Len.

I'll accept your apology at the end of the season.  :P

Right now...

1.  Boogie Cousins

2.  Vucevic

3.  Drummond

4.  Valanciunas

5.  Dieng

Not gonna count Favors b/c he plays a lot of PF...probably moreso than at the 5

But then you have guys like Kanter, Olynyk, and Adams on the outside looking in....

Olynyk?    Good lord.   He's terribad.

Olynyk?    Good lord.   He's terribad.

Actually he's not (offensively) but I'll be damned if I can understand why.  When you watch him play he looks like a player that should not be able to play in the NBA.  He's slow, has short arms, and isn't much of a leaper... but he's averaging an efficient 11+ points per game (.553fg%) in year 2 despite playing on a team that has traded away essentially all of it's talent.  His scoring isn't coming via put back dunks and alley oops either, he's given the ball and asked to do something with it... something that 90% of NBA centers simply can't do.  He's also shooting .352 from three point range and he's attempted 91, so it's not like he's only tried it a dozen times. 

• Like 1

someone made a thread on this in another forum

id have him in there. I like him more than Valuneceas and Adams and Gobert.

But Len is injury prone, which is a big concern.

And nah, the man is not a stiff. Not even close.

you should watch Alex Len more, he is nothing like Adonal Foyle. (and I know who he is and remember him playing at Northeastern Colgate)

Len has post skills, has a jumper, and if you saw the video of him driving by Duncan from the 3 point line you can see he can handle the ball well for a big guy too.

Right now...

1.  Boogie Cousins

2.  Vucevic

3.  Drummond

4.  Valanciunas

5.  Dieng

Not gonna count Favors b/c he plays a lot of PF...probably moreso than at the 5

But then you have guys like Kanter, Olynyk, and Adams on the outside looking in....

Dieng isnt even in considered for me. Gobert>Deng

Mine:

1. Boogie

2. Drummond

3. Vucci Mane

4. Len

5. Gobert

But Len has injury issues, so you could move him out and put Jonas in if you want.

One highlight doesn't change much for me.   I'm having trouble seeing Len as anything more than the stiff that he looked like last year.   Maybe that's because I didn't watch Maryland play very much.

You didnt watch him play at Maryland much.

Last year he was a rookie and coming off the foot injury.

Also, that guy Nurkic in Denver is a problem. He has a nasty streak too, which I like a lot. And Steven Adams as well.

Edited by JoeWolf990

I mean, for a top-5 under 25...he should round out in the top 10, right?  Dude, when on, can shoot from anywhere on the floor. 

In comparison, watching him REALLY makes me appreciate just how good Dirk is. 

His defense is awful, especially at the rim.  He commits stupid fouls.  There's a reason that he got benched for Zeller.  He provides zero rim protection and mediocre rebounding.

But the Celts can't play him at power forward either, because Sullinger is a lot more useful than he is.  Olynyk is too weak to defend big guys in the post.  He also lacks a post up game of his own, so he would have to be a stretch 4 like Dirk.  

He handles the ball well for a 7 footer, but he certainly doesn't have the handle to be a point forward.  

So what do you do with him?  He's got some Dirk-style skills, but only about 50 percent as good, and a bad version of Dirk makes the team around him worse, not better.   

The worse a team is, the more room there is for a guy like Olynyk, with lots of pretty good skills but no dominant ones, and big weaknesses on defense.   He could rack up some stats.   However, on a good team, there would be no room for him on the court.  

But Len has injury issues, so you could move him out and put Jonas in if you want.

You didnt watch him play at Maryland much.

Last year he was a rookie and coming off the foot injury.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.   I have nothing against Len and I always liked Phoenix as a team, even if they are in our division.   So far, when I have seen him play, he looks lost out there.    Dragic always hurts the Dubs, and so does Gerald Green.  Len has never done anything.    

I don't know about Olynyk not fitting in with a good team.  I doubt he'd start on a good team, I'm not a fan of starting any players that can only thrive on one side of the court.  I would like a scoring big on the bench, I think we don't see that terribly often because they are in such short supply.  What you normally have on the bench is a supposed defensive big, when in truth they just play mediocre defense and otherwise suck.  Bench players are more valuable when they have an offensive game IMO.  You don't want a guy like Olynyk matched up against Boogie Cousins or Howard... but Reggie Evans and Joey Dorsey aren't going to light him up. 

None of this is to say that he's really a good center.  I was just saying he's not horrible... especially because it bothers me that he isn't. 

• Like 1

Anyone see that Vucevic dunk on Gasol? Nasty. That big man dunking on a big that sees him coming and is in position to stop him too, none of that blind siding a guard nonsense. Won't be long until he's a Laker now.

Edited by Destino

I remember watching Vucevic play a little at USC. Mostly I remember the play in game with VCU, where he failed to make his usual impact. He had a very good final season. But don't let Hands11 on RealGM fool you into thinking he knew all along how good Vucevic would be. The dude has ended up being way better than anyone realistically expected him to be. He was that draft's physically biggest player, and TBH, that was probably the most notable thing about him at the time.

He's got a superb inside-out scoring game and he's a monster defensive rebounder. He's kind of like a poor man's but bigger bodied Kevin Love. Doesn't have the agility/perimeter game/passing of Love, but can play a true center and take up more space. The ONE real flaw in his game that I can think of are his cement shoes on defense. Granted, that's a pretty bad flaw for a center, and it keeps him from being a franchise corner stone because you have to account for that weakness in the personnel around him. But in the right situation, he could be a Z-Bo like player where he's one of the two best players on a 50+ win team despite his flaws.