Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I keep trying to figure out how to fix Cleveland's roster by balancing it out and I keep getting stuck on Varejao's contract. That thing is depressing. That's essentially a self-imposed 10 million dollar cap penalty for the next three years after this season.

If I'm Kevin Love there is no way I commit to Cleveland long term. The most I'd do is pick up my option for next season and wait for better options to have cap space in the Durant summer. I'd be making sure I end up on Washington, San Antonio, Golden State, or Toronto.

The Wizards are his ideal fit if they could move Nene's contract, which is a 13 million dollar expiring next season. A star pass first PG that's the best drive and kick facilitator in the league; a top 5 defensive team with a real center; an offense full of good passers that keep the ball moving; a couple of jets in the backcourt for Love to throw outlets to. They're the team that could have the other four members of the starting five in place around him for 5+ years.

But I'd doubt he'd want to play for Randy Wittman again. I doubt the Wizards would be able to clear the cap space in time for this summer. And I don't doubt that the Wizards would much rather chase after Durant than Love.

The bolded is what every Wizards fan and their front office would have to say about that. I do think he would be a good fit in Toronto or San Antonio though. 

two things.. i ALWAYS thought Love was over-rated, and wouldn't've traded the farm for him (even if it didn't turn into a one-year rental)

AND... i haven't really watched the new Lebron/Love cavs yet this year... 

but still.... you gotta give them some time to figure **** out, and learn how to play together.  They didn't add a part to a team this year, they added three giant wheels and a huge engine to a lawnmower and headed straight for the beltway with it.  Some tuning/learning/adjustments that will take MANY games to internalize has to happen 

There is a growing level of worry within the Cleveland Cavaliers organization about first-year coach David Blatt and his ability to reach the team, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that there is rising concern in team circles about the level of response that Blatt is getting on the floor, with Blatt himself acknowledging that the Cavaliers "lost our energy and we lost our competitiveness" in Sunday night's embarrassing home loss to Detroit.

Link

Wait so Lebron picks the players, there stories about him taking over duties as the point player without really discussing it with his coach, and Brian Windbag is writing stories about how in Cleveland he's a player coach GM... but when the team fails to show enough energy it's the coach that is to blame? Cleveland's "head coach" is really just a fall guy.

Don't underestimate the importance of Pat Riley in Miami and his supporting Spoelstra. With three stars in the nba, the coach better have the full support of a GM with lots of pull within the organization. Otherwise the only option is to have motivational phrases written into the foam swirls on the lattes "coach" serves them pre game.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 3

Still wouldn't want to play those dudes in a 7 gamer

Their lack of defense is what's going to kill them in the long run.  This team isn't anywhere close to the '09 Heat.  There really shouldn't be a comparison. 

Like I said a month or so back, I'll be shocked if Blatt makes it through the season....and it seems like their GM (Lebron) has given up on him to an extent.  Gotta think that Comic Dans Gilbert has George Karl on speed dial.

Still wouldn't want to play those dudes in a 7 gamer

Eh...... Kyrie and Love have zero playoff experience. They will probably be very up and down in the post season this year. Next yer if they stay together they'll be more of a contender. A healthy Bulls or Raptor team is more intimidating IMO.

Edited by Destino

Eh...... Kyrie and Love have zero playoff experience. They will probably be very up and down in the post season this year. Next yer if they stay together they'll be more of a contender. A healthy Bulls or Raptor team is more intimidating IMO.

I mean Id still take most of the top teams over them but it's just that LeBron factor.

A lot of weird **** can happen in the first two games in a series and completely change things

I mean Id still take most of the top teams over them but it's just that LeBron factor.

A lot of weird **** can happen in the first two games in a series and completely change things

Yeah if you can avoid the best player in the world it's usually a good idea in the playoffs. In the east it's all about finishing top 3. The top 5 teams seem to be much better than the bottom 3 playoff teams. Edited by Destino

I can't stand how he just barrels into set help defenders and forces up some crap that usually gets blocked, expecting to get a call to bail him out. And most of the time, he does.

He, like Chris Paul, spends most of his energy on the court trying to manipulate the refs. You're right, the Rockets won't do anything in the playoffs because so much of their game is reliant on manipulating refs into bailing them out. It's not just Harden, that whole Rockets team flops. They're ****es and playing them is a pain in the ass. Like the Clippers, they seek to make the officiating become a factor.

Detroit has farted around with Drummond too much.  Obviously they never should have signed Josh Smith, but they also needed to pull the trigger on a Greg Monroe deal long ago.  And they need to find a real PG that can run PnRs with him and get him the ball inside.  The effort to get legit outside shooting has been better, but they still need some more of those too.

And Drummond seriously needs to work on improving his shooting.  He's a comically bad shooter from anything beyond three feet.  Awful looking, un-usable hook shot.  No jumper whatsoever.  One of the worst FT shooters in the NBA.  He was supposed to come in this year with an improved post game and a better shot.

That said, he has the best body of any big man in the NBA and he's energetic.  If all of those things come together Detroit could actually have something.  What I don't want to see them end up with is Jahlil Okafor, Karl Towns, or Willie Cauley-Stein.  If they pick one of those guys they might as well trade Drummond too.

like i said, look at his last 10 games. Dude looks like he getting it.

Drummond is actually trying to be a post player this year which will be good in the long term.

His big issue is that he is a doofus on defense sometimes.

These are his December numbers:

For the month of December, Drummond is averaging 15.5 points, 13.4 rebounds and 2.2 blocked shots per game...

The big thing with Cleveland to me is that they are even worse on defense than I expected....but they are also worse on offense than I expected. And a lot of that has to do with whatever is going on with Lebron. Yes, he probably needs to play the 4 and run the offense, but he hasn't show any compulsion to do either of those things. It's really interesting to me how boring the Cavs are to watch. At least for the first 30 games of Lebron and Wade is was watching two all-time rim attackers trade off attacking the basket. In Cleveland, it's watching a bunch of dudes trade off jumpers.

Cleveland's offense is top 5

But its Lebron iso-ball and pick and roll and not Blatt's Princeton-like offense. Bron is legit the problem with this team.

Blatt's defense is about funneling guys into the rim protector. They don't have that.

And Lebron flat out doesnt care for Blatt.

Edited by JoeWolf990

like i said, look at his last 10 games. Dude looks like he getting it.

Drummond is actually trying to be a post player this year which will be good in the long term.

His big issue is that he is a doofus on defense sometimes.

These are his December numbers:

Cleveland's offense is top 5

But its Lebron iso-ball and pick and roll and not Blatt's Princeton-like offense. Bron is legit the problem with this team.

It's top 5, because how can it not be?

But I thought it was going to set efficiency records. And I thought it would be fun to watch. They are a boring team to watch. It's ridiculous.

I keep coming back to this: NBA players have always always always had the power to force their way out of teams. Look at Wilt's career. or Rick Barry's career. Granted, in the 60s and 70s, you might have to play for the Globetrotters or be a broadcaster, but players have always had the power and exercised the power. And the ABA locked in the mentality forever within the NBA that there is always a better option.

The stars from the 80s and 90s that won titles were outliers - Bird, Magic, Isiah, Jordan, Hakeem. And even Hakeem moved around at the end. And the other thing to consider is that everyone of those stars that stayed in one city (not counting Jordan's weird DC sojourn) retired pretty early.

But if you go through the rest of the big NBA stars (outside the 60s Celtics), they all moved. And a lot of them moved ugly. Kareem forced his way out. Moses forced his way out. Doc left the Nets under less than ideal circumstances. Shaq. Barkley. It's endless.

What's weird is that Barkley has explicitly said that he wanted to play with Kevin Johnson and Dan Marjele and that's why he went to Phoenix. Now, he didn't meet up with them and come up with an elaborate plan like Lebron keeps doing, but what's the difference really?

The only reason Kobe didn't force his way out of Los Angeles is because the ridiculously one-sided (at the time) and highly suspicious Gasol trade happened.

I agree with everything you said, except that last part. The "ridiculously one-sided Gasol" trade got Memphis Marc Gasol who is arguably the best center in the NBA and helped Memphis become a good team faster than they would have with Pau Gasol.

It's top 5, because how can it not be?

But I thought it was going to set efficiency records. And I thought it would be fun to watch. They are a boring team to watch. It's ridiculous.

I agree with you. Lebron took over as facillitator and its made them horrible to watch.

The other thing on Lebron is that dude has fallen off athletically. He doesnt finish as well at the rim as he used too. Doesnt bully players anymore. I mean his fall means he went from #1 to top 15 but its a drop.