Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: The Redskins' backup plan at quarterback

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/52176/the-redskins-backup-plan

Pretty good write-up that was in the BRBN forum:

Cousins has been working as the Washington Redskins' starter this offseason while Robert Griffin III recovers from knee surgery, and he's got this balancing act in the right perspective.

"Hey, if Robert is back by the start of training camp, which may happen, then this maybe was my last day with the 1-offense," Cousins said at the end of Wednesday's minicamp practice. "It was great to get that experience, and working with the 2-offense will be great as well. I'm still going to be getting a lot of reps. So I'm benefiting from this practice time, for sure, regardless of whether I start."...

[...]The day before, left tackle Trent Williams called Cousins a "stud" and told me, "I just think it's funny -- everybody's looking for "that guy," and we've got two of them." Quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur talked about Cousins' knack for slipping in a joke to loosen up the huddle during tense or dull parts of practices. It's not an act -- the Redskins really do believe Cousins can lead them if Griffin can't.

Cousins does too, which makes his patience about his own situation even more impressive. He laughed when I asked him if he was telling Griffin not to hurry back.

"You know what? He looks good," Cousins said. "And I tell him obviously for his sake, long-term, to not rush it, but he knows that. But I'm optimistic about him getting back. He looks great right now."

No quarterback controversy here. Just a depth chart at peace, and a team unworried about its most important position.

Yeah, this is one of the things that makes me happy about the team. One of the things that has helped cure my Norvitis.

Doesn't break my heart if Captain Kirk gets the practice time in the offseason. Won't break my heart if he gets all the snaps with the #1 team in preseason. In fact, I won;t be devastated if he starts the regular season.

So far, in his NFL career, he's got 1 win, and 1 save.

----------

Anybody remember ESPN spending like an hour talking about how he was a terrible pick, and he was going to destroy the team's chemistry, and "QB controversy" and all that?

Thinking about where the QB situation has been for the last 20 years, it's been possibly the worst in the NFL.  Both starters and backups.

Tell me this list doesn't put a quiver in your spine: (Since 1992)

• Rich Gannon (terrible with the skins, did have a couple good years later
  • Cary Conklin
  • John Friez
  • Heath Shuler (one of the biggest busts in 'Skins history)
  • Gus Frerotte (actually ended up being the starter for almost 3 seasons.  Yech.)
  • Trent Green (The one that got away)
  • Brad Johnson
  • Jeff George (That's on Danny)
  • Tony Banks
  • Shane Matthews
  • Danny Weurffel
  • Patrick Ramsey (Ruined by terrible coaching)
  • Tim Hasselbeck (The wrong brother, and insert wife joke here)
  • Mark Brunnel
  • Jason Campbell
  • Todd Collins
  • Donavan McNabb (5 years to late)
  • Rex Grossman (yikes)
  • John Beck (double yikes

And those are just the starters. There is so much suck on that list, it's embarrassing.  

Now, the 'Skins can trot out 2 young, great QB options. 

The 'Skins might have one of the best starting QB situations for the next 10 years with Robert. Next year, they might have the best backup in the league with Cousins. And they probably have the best 3rd stringer with Rex. I don't want to see him play, but if you've already lost 2 QBs, having a seasoned vet with 4 years in the system, and a previous starter, is a good luxury to have.

Mike deserves great props for fixing the QB situation.  

Yeah, this is one of the things that makes me happy about the team. One of the things that has helped cure my Norvitis.

Doesn't break my heart if Captain Kirk gets the practice time in the offseason. Won't break my heart if he gets all the snaps with the #1 team in preseason. In fact, I won;t be devastated if he starts the regular season.

So far, in his NFL career, he's got 1 win, and 1 save.

----------

Anybody remember ESPN spending like an hour talking about how he was a terrible pick, and he was going to destroy the team's chemistry, and "QB controversy" and all that?

Yeah, Skip Bayless probably lead the parade, saying that white people ( which is apparently all this fanbase is made up of) wouldn't accept Griffin, and would side with Cousins at the slightest slip up. Basically it gave ammo to the "Shanahan is a racist" crowd, who believed that Shanahan just "Had to have a white QB" just in case Griffin, being a black guy and all, would simply not meet his standards as a QB, even after his disdain caused him to give up two 1st round picks and one 2nd. .

Some of the ESPN X's and O's guys like Ron Jaworski, blasted the pick, because they envisioned Cousins as a starter, and assumed that Shanahan drafting him would ruin his career, as he's relegated to the bench.

A lot of people, everywhere, even here, and on local talk radio, were either blasting it, or "Didn't understand it." I didn't get it then, and I sure as hell don't get it now. I said the day he was drafted that if he turned out to be the real deal, he would be playing as another team's starting QB very soon (with us being rewarded for it), as well as help us win games if our starter goes down, which is exactly what he did, and is doing.

Even if RG3 is ready by day-1 of camp, I think the Shanahans will limit his exposure and use him very sparingly in preseason so the the progression of Cousins and the developement of the Pat White/Grossman battle will be two of the more interesting things to watch this time around.

I certainly appreciate that Cousins is on this team.  I defended the pick when it was made and fully buy into the "back-up QB is the 2nd most important position on the team" mantra.  I get it. 

Where I part ways with many though, is I'm not in any hurry to ship him off for picks. 

Cousins has been working as the Washington Redskins' starter this offseason while Robert Griffin III recovers from knee surgery, and he's got this balancing act in the right perspective.

"Hey, if Robert is back by the start of training camp, which may happen, then this maybe was my last day with the 1-offense," Cousins said at the end of Wednesday's minicamp practice.

Cousins is wrong about that. He'll be playing with the 1-offense a lot in preseason, even if RG3 is back practicing with first offense at the start of training camp.

There Really Isn't A Battle Between Pat And Rex. Rex Is Here. White Is A Camp Body.

I wouldn't be so sure. 

Judging by Kyle's presser from last week, he's very excited to work with the guy. He stated Houston had a high grade on him coming out of college and wanted to work with him back then. Now he's got a chance, he might not want to toss him away after one camp and besides, Kyle thinks Pat has "a lot of up-side".  What's Rex's upside beyond knowing the offense?  He really doesn't have one at this point.  We're talking about a 3rd string veteran QB whos miscast in this offense and whos career is just about done.

I know the odds are long but why couldn't Pat White lounge around as a 3rd stringer while fully learning the offense? And should he be called upon, (God forbid, but that would go for Rex too), he's got the legs enough to keep a defense off-balance.

There Really Isn't A Battle Between Pat And Rex. Rex Is Here. White Is A Camp Body.

I wouldn't be so sure. 

Judging by Kyle's presser from last week, he's very excited to work with the guy. He stated Houston had a high grade on him coming out of college and wanted to work with him back then. Now he's got a chance, he might not want to toss him away after one camp and besides, Kyle thinks Pat has "a lot of up-side".  What's Rex's upside beyond knowing the offense?  He really doesn't have one at this point.  We're talking about a 3rd string veteran QB whos miscast in this offense and whos career is just about done.

I know the odds are long but why couldn't Pat White lounge around as a 3rd stringer while fully learning the offense? And should he be called upon, (God forbid, but that would go for Rex too), he's got the legs enough to keep a defense off-balance.

So Kyle says the same things about Pat White as he and Mike said about Beck, and this excites you?

I like Cousins. There is no way he compares to RG3 though.

It would be nice if we could fleece some team the way that the Pats did with Cassels.

Bull****.  Cousins > Cassel.  I think I've seen enough to believe in the guy.  

Let's face it, the only reason we "barely" made the playoffs is defense.  With improvement there, Cousins get's this team to the playoffs for sure IMO.  Same scenario with RG3, and you're talking Super Bowl tickets.

I wouldn't be so sure. 

So Kyle says the same things about Pat White as he and Mike said about Beck, and this excites you?

I didn't see anywhere where he said he was excited about Pat White...just that writing him off as a camp body might not be prudent.

And considering how Beck was also once considered a "camp body" yet ended up starting games for us, I'd say he was right.

Thinking about where the QB situation has been for the last 20 years, it's been possibly the worst in the NFL.  Both starters and backups.

Tell me this list doesn't put a quiver in your spine: (Since 1992)

• Rich Gannon (terrible with the skins, did have a couple good years later
  • Cary Conklin
  • John Friez
  • .... and on and on

Wasn't Jeff Hostetler on this team for awhile in the late 90's

Furious D "Where I part ways with many though, is I'm not in any hurry to ship him off for picks."

Most of us would like to keep him around, but if he ends up starting the season and does well, his competitve nature will (rightfully) want to start somewhere and we'd have to let him go, eventually.

PS: Am I the only one not 100% in love with the new quote feature?

If white works out, I wouldnt be surprised to see us trading Cousins for pick(s) and white getting the backup spot.

I think the only way White makes it as a backup here is if both Cousins and Grossman are kidnapped, and the Redskins are unable to find anyone on the street to fill the void...

I honestly think Cousins is good enough to start right now for a team, so I don't think anyone is taking that backup QB spot from him. I think every preseason will be huge (huge) for Cousins, as that will be where he'll have to shine (along with coming in if Griffin gets hurt) and increase his value as a quarterback, before he can get shipped out of here for something good in return.

I honestly think White would have to look like Peyton Manning against scrubs, and throughout training camp to even beat out Grossman for the 3rd QB spot (if we even go with 3 this year again).

I mean, there's a reason why the guy was out of football, and I'be shocked if he did anything of note here, besides just being a typical camp arm.

Makes me think of this:

http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=cgPclhXM6GQ

Should we start calling Kirk, Sunshine?

If white works out, I wouldnt be surprised to see us trading Cousins for pick(s) and white getting the backup spot.

Only West Virginia homers would actually believe that Pat White would move up to #2 even if we traded Cousins.  We aren't trading him any time soon and White will be cut in August.

I think the only way White makes it as a backup here is if both Cousins and Grossman are kidnapped, and the Redskins are unable to find anyone on the street to fill the void...

I honestly think Cousins is good enough to start right now for a team, so I don't think anyone is taking that backup QB spot from him. I think every preseason will be huge (huge) for Cousins, as that will be where he'll have to shine (along with coming in if Griffin gets hurt) and increase his value as a quarterback, before he can get shipped out of here for something good in return.

I honestly think White would have to look like Peyton Manning against scrubs, and throughout training camp to even beat out Grossman for the 3rd QB spot (if we even go with 3 this year again).

I mean, there's a reason why the guy was out of football, and I'be shocked if he did anything of note here, besides just being a typical camp arm.

Makes me think of this:

>If white works out, I wouldnt be surprised to see us trading Cousins for pick(s) and white getting the backup spot.

Only West Virginia homers would actually believe that Pat White would move up to #2 even if we traded Cousins.  We aren't trading him any time soon and White will be cut in August.

I was speaking more of something that might happen in a year or so. How long do you guys think we'll be able to keep Cousins as a backup?

Makes me think of this:

>>If white works out, I wouldnt be surprised to see us trading Cousins for pick(s) and white getting the backup spot.

I was speaking more of something that might happen in a year or so. How long do you guys think we'll be able to keep Cousins as a backup?

I think he'll be here this season and next.  After year three, depending on how he has done, will be the year to trade him.  By then, Rex will be gone and they'll have another backup in place.  Maybe a veteran with 5-10 years in the league.  

I was just jabbing you about the WVA thing, but I know that alot of fans in here get way too obsessed about one of their own too often.  For me, as a Terrapins and Memphis Tigers fan (alma mater), I leave the college stuff in college.  Once they put on the B & G, they are Redskins and not Hokies, Terps, Mountaineers, etc.  I want whats best for the Redskins and just don't  worry about where they played college ball.

think he'll be here this season and next.  After year three, depending on how he has done, will be the year to trade him.  By then, Rex will be gone and they'll have another backup in place.  Maybe a veteran with 5-10 years in the league.  

I was just jabbing you about the WVA thing, but I know that alot of fans in here get way too obsessed about one of their own too often.  For me, as a Terrapins and Memphis Tigers fan (alma mater), I leave the college stuff in college.  Once they put on the B & G, they are Redskins and not Hokies, Terps, Mountaineers, etc.  I want whats best for the Redskins and just don't  worry about where they played college ball.

Ha no worries, I dont follow college at all. I would love to keep cousins as long as possible.  Quality backups are worth their weight in gold.

I just found 2 cents in my pocket....so here goes. What I believe will happen based on the clues given. RG3 will NOT start the season and Cousins will. First of all I think the fact that we play the Eagles has something to do with this because the Redskins can beat the Eagles, without risking Robert. If the Skins cannot win a home game against a team with no set QB and an entirely new defense and players, then I think draft positioning for next spring may be in order. LOL

Next, Mike Shanahan does not want to screw up his legacy. He is on the cusp of being the first Head Coach in history to win Superbowls with 2 different teams. He wants to be remembered for that...NOT for being the coach who ruined RG3's promising career by rushing him back on the field in back to back seasons. No....won't happen. I do not believe Robert will start the season. I am firm on that.

3rd. I also believe the Shanahan's truly look toward the future now, and they are already thinking about all the draft picks for Cousins IF he can play and win a Nationally Televised game like the one against the Eagles. If he performs, the Redskins win, and RG3 has extra time to heal, it becomes a win win situation. I am not certain of the future beyond that but my initial gut feeling was that Cousins would start the first 4 games, begin the season at 3-1....take 2 weeks off for the bye...and then RG3 makes his completely healthy debut against the Cowboys once completely healed.

and 4th...of lesser importance....I believe there is a real possibility that Pat White will be the 3rd string quarterback. It does make sense, IF he looks good in preseason. Cousins could be traded next spring to a bottom feeder, Redskins end up with a top 10 draft pick, and the Redskins don't bother looking and training yet another QB because White is already indoctrinated. By the way, it is a bonus that he happens to be an extremely good running QB and is very accurate. Kind of a poor man's RG3 which I am sure the Shanahan's hope will work out that way.

That's just about 2 cents worth. Don't spend it all in one place.

hawgboy writes:

PS: Am I the only one not 100% in love with the new quote feature?

I don't like it, either. Too much clutter. :P

I only try to use the quote feature when I know I will only get the immediate post I am responding to.

Otherwise, I just cut and paste the quote (like I did with your post :) ).

Archived