Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: The Redskins' backup plan at quarterback

I'm not saying the Redskins are going to re-sign Kirk, I'm saying they have no reason to trade him unless they get an absolute optimal offer, and that he's more likely to play out his contract here and then be allowed to walk into free agency.

The media went on and on about how it was a sure thing that Green Bay and the Packers would trade Matt Flynn, or they'd franchise and trade him. That didn't happen. Flynn had some solid games in relief of Aaron Rodgers and apparently teams were interested but the Packers were content with letting him play out his contract and let him walk into free agency. They drafted Flynn's replacements, waited for optimal offers, and when they didn't get one, they let Flynn walk.

Same thing for the Pats with Brian Hoyer, who just about every offseason (despite playing a lot less than even Matt Flynn did) was bought up as trade bait. The Patriots didn't rush to trade him. They drafted Ryan Mallett, groomed him to be the back-up, and then ultimately released Hoyer.

Knowledgeable fans do know about these kind of things.

Kirk will likely never see a second contract here. But frankly, we're not terribly likely to get a 1st or 2nd round pick for Kirk Cousins. And if he somehow did play enough that we got that in return from him, chances are he's played a lot and RG3 hasn't, in which case we'd probably need him a lot more than some other team would.

NLC1054 you attempt to qualify your point by inserting facts that are totally unrelated to the situation. You have said that the Packers did not trade Flynn despite the fact that the media experts said that he would be traded. Let me allow a bit of truth into the situation. Flynn was in the FINAL year of his contract. The Packers had no LEVERAGE. You are inserting apples into a barrel of oranges my friend. Captain kirk is in year TWO of his contract. After year THREE the Redskins will still control his destiny. The media will claim a trade is coming...and indeed it may. But UNLIKE the Flynn situation, other teams cannot just sit and wait for free agency because the Packers could not afford to PEYTON MANNING FRANCHISE Flynn while the Redskins will not have to after 3 years. Big difference.

And once again I want to state that I am not in favor of losing Captain Kirk but I hope the Skins are smarter than the Packers because the Packer gained ZERO by letting Flynn go. And that is pretty much because Flynn did not seem to appear on the scene until his final game of his final year. Cousins is already on the scene after only ONE season. If he looks sharp in preseason and then never throws another pass in regular season, his legend will grow. But as I said before, this is all moot because a lot has to play out over the next 2 years. Until then..you and I are both thrilled that Cousins is occupying that number 2 spot......at least for now.

Archived