Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: NSA leaker fears for democracy

isle-hawg

For someone who says its "not about me", the dude certainly seems to like the limelight.

The Limelight is likely one of the very few things keeping him alive at the moment.  

Riiiight.

I guess you expect us to target him with drones, eh Dr Paul?

Your snark aside (uncalled for and rude),    I dont believe it would be that dramatic at all,   but I dont know how any thinking person would assume he is safe after spilling the beans on their dirty secrets.

FWIW...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/10/nsa-leaker-and-journalist-should-be-disappeared-overheard_n_3414346.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

For someone who says its "not about me", the dude certainly seems to like the limelight.

The Limelight is likely one of the very few things keeping him alive at the moment.  

Riiiight.

Your snark aside (uncalled for and rude),    I dont believe it would be that dramatic at all,   but I dont know how any thinking person would assume he is safe after spilling the beans on their dirty secrets.

Snowden had been publically identified and the killing of him by this country would be an epically major ****storm of public relations within this country. 

To even think his life is in danger from the US Government is shortsighted.

Riiiight.

Whatever.

Snowden had been publically identified and the killing of him by this country would be an epically major ****storm of public relations within this country. 

Yes,  (thus the reason I said the limelight is likely keeping him alive).    Glad we agree

FWIW...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/10/nsa-leaker-and-journalist-should-be-disappeared-overheard_n_3414346.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Sounds more to me like contractors sent to attend an intel conference made these remarks, and the editor wanted to generate traffic by claiming they were "intelligence officials", knowing full well people would read that and think it was someone in a position of authority. Do you have any idea how many intel conferences are held each year and how many regular people attend them? It is a cottage industry.

FWIW...

Sounds more to me like contractors sent to attend an intel conference made these remarks, and the editor wanted to generate traffic by claiming they were "intelligence officials", knowing full well people would read that and think it was someone in a position of authority. Do you have any idea how many intel conferences are held each year and how many regular people attend them? It is a cottage industry.

You did notice the FWIW tag before that link right?

Riiiight.

Whatever.

Yes,  (thus the reason I said the limelight is likely keeping him alive).    Glad we agree

Which I never said. 

Limelight does not equal public identification. What Snowden is doing goes way beyond public identification. Surely you can understand the difference, no?

edit...here - I'll make it easy for you. His safety was guaranteed the minute he very publically identified himself as the leaker. He has nothing to fear from his government (other than jail time for the apparent and alleged crimes he has committed). 

What he's doing goes beyond that and the limelight that you claim is keeping him alive is doing very little, in my opinion. He's alive whether he's on the run or back in the US facing charges. 

Riiiight.

Whatever.

Which I never said. 

Limelight does not equal public identification. What Snowden is doing goes way beyond public identification. Surely you can understand the difference, no?

surely you can see the similarities,  no?    Whatever man,  you arent worth the time to debate with to me.  Have a good one.

Guess I'm not a thinking person, cause I don;t think he revealed anything that I (and you) didn't already know.

(This is also my reaction to the people crying "Traitor! He crippled our ability to fight terrorists!")

Guess I'm not a thinking person, cause I don;t think he revealed anything that I (and you) didn't already know.

(This is also my reaction to the people crying "Traitor! He crippled our ability to fight terrorists!")

you must mean "anything that you or I suspected"  because we didnt "know" anything until he made it public formally.   (thus the reason he is in so much hot water)

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=ce874a42-a367-452f-afd0-fe76282426fa

Great article posted on Senator Sanders' website 

Is Edward Snowden a hero or a traitor? I don't care. You read right: I don't give a whit about the man who exposed two sweeping U.S. online surveillance programs, nor do I worry much about his verdict in the court of public opinion. 

Why? Because it is the wrong question. The Snowden narrative matters mostly to White House officials trying to deflect attention from government overreach and deception, and to media executives in search of an easy storyline to serve a celebrity-obsessed audience. 
For the rest of us, the questions seem to be: 

Are the two programs revealed by Snowden legal and constitutional? 

What else is the government doing to invade our privacy? Until a few days ago, paranoids were people who claimed Washington had cast a vast electronic net over our communications. Who isn't a bit paranoid now? 

Why did the U.S. government for years debunk what they called a myth about the National Security Agency seizing electronic data from millions of Americans? 

Why did the leader of the U.S. intelligence community mislead Congress in March by answering a question about the program in the "least untruthful manner" -- a phrase that would make George Orwell cringe. 

Why do Democratic lawmakers who criticized President Bush for exploiting the post-9/11 Patriot Act now defend President Obama for curbing civil liberties?

Would it have been wiser for him to subtly tip off a WaPo reporter (or something) a la Watergate and let them uncover the story via freedom of information act? He could've reduced his exposure considerably. 

As I posted, Wired already ran that story (or similar).

Would it have been wiser for him to subtly tip off a WaPo reporter (or something) a la Watergate and let them uncover the story via freedom of information act? He could've reduced his exposure considerably. 

As I said earlier in this thread I don't buy his "It's not about me" spiel. I don't think he was looking for subtle or looking to reduce his exposure; this whole thing was obviously well planned out. He has been very prominent and seemingly made sure that he keeps in the public eye or at least consciousness by giving interviews, disappearing then popping up publicly again, etc. That doesn't discount the info that he divulged, but I get the feeling the dude is digging the limelight and his role as a "hero figure" who is fighting the good fight against tyranny.

Of course, some people...hem hem...SS... think that the only reason he is doing this is so Obama doesn't have him assassinated. I'm unswayed by that one.

As I said earlier in this thread I don't buy his "It's not about me" spiel. I don't think he was looking for subtle or looking to reduce his exposure; this whole thing was obviously well planned out. He has been very prominent and seemingly made sure that he keeps in the public eye or at least consciousness by giving interviews, disappearing then popping up publicly again, etc. That doesn't discount the info that he divulged, but I get the feeling the dude is digging the limelight and his role as a "hero figure" who is fighting the good fight against tyranny.

Of course, some people...hem hem...SS... think that the only reason he is doing this is so Obama doesn't have him assassinated. I'm unswayed by that one.

unswayed or not,  you cant deny the public attention is in his favor whether its his safety or simply his freedom that he is protecting.

hem hem

Bob Schieffer tore into Edward Snowden on Sunday's "Face the Nation," saying that the NSA leaker "is no hero" for fleeing the United States.

The CBS News anchor voiced his disapproval on Sunday, saying:

"I like people who are willing to stand up to the government. As a reporter, it’s my job to do that from time to time. Some of the people I admire most are in the government. Men and women who led the civil rights movement— Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr.—they are true heroes. I’m not ready to put Edward Snowden in that category. For one thing, I don’t remember Martin Luther King, Jr. or Rosa Parks running off and hiding in China. The people who led the civil rights movement were willing to break the law and suffer the consequences. That’s a little different than putting the nation’s security at risk and running away."

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/president-obama-defends-nsa-spying

President Obama Defends NSA Spying

Charlie Rose: Bigger and better than everybody else.

Barack Obama: Bigger and better than everybody else, and we should take pride in that because they’re extraordinary professionals; they are dedicated to keeping the American people safe. What I can say unequivocally is that if you are a U.S. person, the NSA cannot listen to your telephone calls, and the NSA cannot target your emails … and have not. They cannot and have not, by law and by rule, and unless they — and usually it wouldn’t be “they,” it’d be the FBI — go to a court, and obtain a warrant, and seek probable cause, the same way it’s always been, the same way when we were growing up and we were watching movies, you want to go set up a wiretap, you got to go to a judge, show probable cause….

So point number one, if you’re a U.S. person, then NSA is not listening to your phone calls and it’s not targeting your emails unless it’s getting an individualized court order. That’s the existing rule. There are two programs that were revealed by Mr. Snowden, allegedly, since there’s a criminal investigation taking place, and they caused all the ruckus. Program number one, called the 2015 Program, what that does is it gets data from the service providers like a Verizon in bulk, and basically you have call pairs. You have my telephone number connecting with your telephone number. There are no names. There is no content in that database. All it is, is the number pairs, when those calls took place, how long they took place. So that database is sitting there. Now, if the NSA through some other sources, maybe through the FBI, maybe through a tip that went to the CIA, maybe through the NYPD. Get a number that where there’s a reasonable, articulable suspicion that this might involve foreign terrorist activity related to Al-Qaeda and some other international terrorist actors. Then, what the NSA can do is it can query that database to see did any of the — did this number pop up? Did they make any other calls? And if they did, those calls will be spit out. A report will be produced. It will be turned over to the FBI. At no point is any content revealed because there’s no content that —

Still admiring the weasel words.

Yeah, we're keeping records of every phone call you've ever made, but we aren't LISTENING to the phone call, so that's ok, right?

And yeah, we're collecting all of your emails. But we aren't TARGETING your emails. We're just collecting them from everybody. So that's ok, right?

If I'm reading it right it seems like (according to Obama) they don't actually collect emails or actual phone calls; at least that's what I take "There's no content in that database" to mean. They collect metadata and information on a number calling other ones. Definitely some weasel words in there though.

I think the details matter less than the big picture here.  The government is ignoring the constitution, going after whistle blowers, and looking at the response we can expect it to continue or expand.  The problem is that there is no mechanism within government to prevent this.  

Archived