Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Redskins, Giants Interested in Tim Hightower

Dan T.

WP Redskins beat reporter Mike Jones wrote yesterday that the Skins and the Giants are interested in Hightower:

The Washington Redskins and New York Giants have both had exploratory talks regarding the services of free agent running back Tim Hightower, who last played for the Redskins during the 2012 preseason, two people with knowledge of the situation said.

It wasn’t immediately clear how serious the Redskins’ interest is, but the Giants held talks with Hightower earlier this month and were expected to meet with him again “in a couple weeks,” one person said. The second person said they weren’t sure how close either team was to signing Hightower, however.

The Redskins acquired Hightower via trade from the Arizona Cardinals in the summer of 2011, and he opened the season as their starting running back. But he tore his ACL in the fifth game of the season. In five games, Hightower had 84 carries for 321 yards and a touchdown. He also had 10 catches for 78 yards and a touchdown.

Hightower had surgery to repair the ligament and he attempted a comeback last preseason. He declined the option of opening training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list and, in the Redskins’ third preseason game, rushed for 28 yards on five carries — including an 18-yard run.

But Hightower’s knee swelled up after the game, and with his knee slow to recover at the time Washington had to make final roster cuts, he was released. Hightower said in an interview in January that he regretted the decision not to open the season on the PUP list.

At the time of his release, Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said the team would be open to bringing back Hightower once his knee had recovered.

The 26-year-old Hightower’s knee now is said to be “feeling great.”

The Redskins are looking for a running back who could be used to spell starter Alfred Morris, particularly on third downs. Hightower excelled both in pass protection and as a receiver out of the backfield. Washington, however, is hoping to get Roy Helu back from a toe injury that forced him to miss the bulk of last season and has continued to slow him this offseason.

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/05/16/redskins-giants-inquire-about-tim-hightower/

He looked okay coming back from his torn ACL last year but got squeezed out in a numbers game with the emergence of Alfred Morris. I was surpised nobody picked him up...

He's still only 26 years old. Would you like to see him back on the Redskins roster?

i dont see where he would be a good 3rd down back..hightower isnt quick or extremely fast coming off this ACL. doesnt have the same burst...he can pass protect a little...he isnt a scat back that will be able to catch the ball out of the backfield...or run those button hook routes

Hightower is a fraud he played poorly every sunday he was in the B&G. let him go to the Giants and fight for a roster spot...

I completely disagree with this statement, He played well for us when he was here for those 5 games and gave us the blocking back we so desperately needed after CP was gone.

I would like to have him back and keep two of the 4 out of Helu Royster Thompson and Jamieson(I'll take Helu, if healthy, and Thompson)

I'm curious about Roy Helu. I was VERY impressed with him and saw him as the running back of the future for this offense before he got hurt and before we struck gold with Alfred Morris.

I like his tough, one cut running style with its economy of motion. In fact, to me in many ways he's a similar runner to Alfred. He apparently had surgery in February to fix his toe injury and expects (hopes? wishes?) to be healthy in time for training camp. I'm hoping right along with him.

Lest we forget his promising rookie year:

^I agree. He looked really promising as a rookie, and that was with O-line/receivers that don't block as well as what we have now. Throw in RG3 instead of Grossman and Morris as the feature back, and Helu is a great 3rd down option.

I said this in another thread:

WTH is with everyone obsession over Tim Hightower? Seriously? You would actually want to sign a guy because he "supposedly" picks up the blitz? Hightower stunk. Sorry, he stunk for us. He was not good at hitting the cutback lanes in the ZBS that we had, he had average hands and the only game he really showed something was the game he blew out his knee.

This "thing" about blocking we have on ES baffles the hell out of me. Ever since Portis started laying guys out at the LOS, everyone thinks our RBs have to do that. Portis did that during the Gibbs and Zorn eras because our OL sucked beans and none of our QBs were elusive (Brunell, Campbell, Grossman and Beck) enough to evade the rush.

Do we need RBs that can block? Sure, on occassion we'll need them to pick up a blitz. But with the system we run, the defense is usually on their heels enough and Robert is able to elude most guys. He'll get hit. No QB goes untouched. But this obsession with Tim Hightower just baffles me. In fact, I really DON'T remember Hightower picking up blitzers and laying them out like Portis.

Tim Hightower...Err my Gawd, he can like....block and stuff!!! smmfh.

I would prefer to give all of the reps to the current crop of RBs. They already have like 72 on the roster. NONE with more than 2 years of experience. Helu and Royster are the "grizzled" vets, both entering their third year.

I actually like Hightower, don't have any issue with him. But they have Morris as the starter, and then a compeling 4 battle for 2 spots between 2 rookies and 2 3rd year guys.

I don't know where his touches come from, unless they don't trust any of the guys to pick up a blitz. Which I just can't believe.

Ideal 3rd RB on depth chart with his versatility. Morris is the clear cut #1 guy in my opinion. Then there's the battle for 3rd down/scat back behind him, between Helu/Thompson as the #2RB. THT can be the all around back-up, can play the 3rd down role if need be, and can also be a 1st down/2nd down back. To be completely frank, THT might be the only 3 down back amongst the lot of em. I'd love to have him back as insurance, and his knowledge of the system is an added bonus.

No thanks. Hightower's running ability was extremely lackluster in the scheme and we've got a couple guys with far more potential in the passing game now. The blocking alone doesn't justify a roster spot unless both Thompson and Helu simply aren't healthy enough to contribute and even then it's dicey that he gets a backup spot over Royster and Jamison.

I said this in another thread:

Picking up the blitz is almost as important if not more than being an effective runner. Guy's with talent that can't pass protect get fewer touches.Also your offense can become predictable if defenses know when a guy is in there who can't pass protect, they can anticipate the run, and vice versa with your pass blocking backs.

Look at a guy like Kevin Faulk who played maybe 3-4 years longer than he should have. All because he could pass block.

I'd at least bring him in to see how he's feeling physically and he can teach the younger backs how to pass block. It's only a win situation if you bring him in.

Hightower was very unlucky. He looked great in the 2011 preseason. He was then injured (shoulder?) in the very first game against the Giants. He tried to play through it for the next few games but he wasn't the same. There was talk about him hiding the injury from the staff. They took him out early in the Rams game and he got to rest it for a couple weeks. He came back and was having a strong game against the Panthers until he injured his knee. Hightower was done for the rest of that year and was unable to get on the field in 2012.

i dont see where he would be a good 3rd down back..hightower isnt quick or extremely fast coming off this ACL. doesnt have the same burst...he can pass protect a little...he isnt a scat back that will be able to catch the ball out of the backfield...or run those button hook routes

You have no clue how he's playing now. And he had 63 catches in 2009, so saying he can't catch the ball as a fact isn't based on much.

Archived