Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 2013 training camp location

HtownRocks111

lol nice... looking at the map (see below) it looks like a tiny little space for parking; Im worried I'm going to be one of the ones late to the party and have to park 6 blocks down and walk. I would be coming with my wife and 3 year old son!

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesdispatch.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/23/323cb690-b58d-11e2-ab02-001a4bcf6878/51866935867f3.image.png

For $7 you can park at City Stadium and ride a shuttle to camp. Then there are $5 lots run by the city.

- 923 N. Meadow St

- 928 N. Meadow St.

- 840 Hermitage Rd.

- 2220 W. Broad St.

- The Diamond, 3001 N. Boulevard

That's a very objective post lol. Moved to Virginia from Houston, TX and can honestly tell you BBQ doesn't mean the same BBQ you may have grown up with. BBQ here is pulled pork with a vinegar based BBQ sauce. When I moved here I was looking for brisket, bbq ribs, bbq chicken, different kinds of sausage ect.... I've tried Pierce's BBQ (Wmsbg), Virginia Diner (Wakefield), and several little joints few and far between. My favorite pulled pork BBQ is probably the Virginia Diner or a little stand on the side of the road in Charles City.

Oh boy... here we go with "The Texas bbq cult" lol. Virginia Diner has some pretty good pulled pork. It doesn't touch mine. Buz n' Neds has the best ribs and cornbread. It's also within walking distance of the new training camp.

Oh boy... here we go with "The Texas bbq cult" lol. Virginia Diner has some pretty good pulled pork. It doesn't touch mine. Buz n' Neds has the best ribs and cornbread. It's also within walking distance of the new training camp.

Srsly? NC/VA bbq =

http://chukarhunting.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/roadkill.png

+

http://www.orchidcarelady.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Distilled-White-Vinegar.jpg

Ha, being from Missouri, I was about to pop in with the Kansas City & Memphis BBQ doctrines. :) But I'll hold off, I have heard Buz & Ned's isgreat, looking forward to trying it.

KD - if you make it all the way down to Williamsburg on that trip, hit me up by PM. I run a resort here & as minimum, can probably get you a better deal than you could find on your own...

Yeah... mesquite flavored over-cooked meat with hot sauce. Mmmm mmm good :) . We'll have to get after it at a tailgate one of these days man. Maybe training camp. Time is going to be rough for me around then though. I'll change your mind on the subject and maybe you'll change mine.

Matter of fact, there is a bbq contest this weekend in Fredericksburg at the Airport. Some strong contestants will be there.

Alamo up in church Hill is some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten.

And not sure why you're assuming all VA BBQ is served with a vinegar style sauce. In fact, I know few places who serve that style here...

Most of Richmond uses KC and St. Louis style BBQ. We just do it better.

EDIT: And Church Hill, at least when I was back in college, was not for the faint of heart, lol. Are you talking about Church Hill right up from Shockoe Bottom? Which, by the way, for you single cats... Shockoe is too legit if you want a good bar scene in Richmond. Your boy used to get it in down there.

---------- Post added May-6th-2013 at 12:11 PM ----------

Ha, being from Missouri, I was about to pop in with the Kansas City & Memphis BBQ doctrines. :) But I'll hold off, I have heard Buz & Ned's isgreat, looking forward to trying it.

KD - if you make it all the way down to Williamsburg on that trip, hit me up by PM. I run a resort here & as minimum, can probably get you a better deal than you could find on your own...

I love KC, brother. That's what I use almost exclusively.

EDIT: And Williamsburg would be much cooler for KD and the fam for a "vacation". Busch Gardens and Water Country USA are down there and you are about an hour from VA Beach. Plus all that Williamsburg has to offer, very cool. Also, not too far from the RIC... about 30-45 mins.

I was taking my motorcycle training course behind the DMV last weekend right next to the site No work being done on the weekend I was there so they must feel okay with the timeline.

I did notice that DMV has a helipad right next to the range I was riding on, wonder if that will be made use of?

Parking, like anything in RIC, will be a mess. VCU will not be in fall semester, so that helps but Boulevard and the lots there will fill up quick. Temptation will be to park in The Fan and walk over but be careful about Fan Parking Permit enforcement.

Thanks brother! If I head down that far I'll let you know!

EDIT: And Church Hill, at least when I was back in college, was not for the faint of heart, lol. Are you talking about Church Hill right up from Shockoe Bottom? Which, by the way, for you single cats... Shockoe is too legit if you want a good bar scene in Richmond. Your boy used to get it in down there.

Haha, yep. I lived there for a year or so. Pretty gritty. Here's a picture of the Alamo BBQ place. Don't judge a book by it's cover... this stuff is the real deal.

6890630134_89057717e5.jpg

Haha, yep. I lived there for a year or so. Pretty gritty. Here's a picture of the Alamo BBQ place. Don't judge a book by it's cover... this stuff is the real deal.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7104/6890630134_89057717e5.jpg

Those are the best spots, man. Any bbq spot with matching tables and chairs is not for me. Thanks for posting. I'm going to try them out for sure.

And yes, parking in the fan is a good way to get yourself a ticket. I swear that's how the city gets most of their money. Make sure you (1) know that you CAN park somewhere, (2) remember where you park, and (3) don't even go back there unless you can parallel park.

I love KC, brother. That's what I use almost exclusively.

I'm missing some KC BBQ for sure out here. Everyone outside of KC thinks Gates BBQ & Arthur Bryants is where it's at, but anyone from there knows Oklahoma Joe's & Fiorella's Jack Stacks is the cat's ass. I try to get out that way every few months to see friends. Good eatin'.

---------- Post added May-6th-2013 at 03:03 PM ----------

But back on topic.....holy hell, I'm pumped for TC. First training camp of my life, I'm gonna try to get off work every day I can & be there a ton.

I did notice that DMV has a helipad right next to the range I was riding on, wonder if that will be made use of?

they're going to use it to shuttle BBQ and redskins fans, whichever comes first.

Parking, like anything in RIC, will be a mess.

huh? it'll be busy as usual near campus, but all of Leigh, Moore St, and surrounding (rather close by) roads are pretty open, and there isn't a lot of time enforcement, either... if you stick to the north side of Broad you'll easily find a place to park. i live on Leigh just past Belvidere, and i'm planning on just walking. i don't get why people would need a shuttle. RVA is really quite small relatively speaking.

oh and btw +1 for Alamo BBQ.

Food- Gus's across the street from the Children's Museum. Good food. If you are a soccer fan also its a great place(Man Utd owner). If you go near VCU campus there's The Village (awesome milkshakes) and Baja Bean (nice owner,great services, lots of specials). There's fast food like Arbys and some others.

Stuff to do- Carytown- Byrd Theater (cheap movies and snacks. Like 3 dollars total. Historic landmark). Tons of shops so if you have a wife she'll be in heaven. Great places for food especially dessert. Very popular cupcake place here featured on Dessert Wars(I think that's the name)

Lots of parks oh and Bell Isle. You have to go there. Beautiful island next to the river. Everyone goes there during the summer. VCU students would spend days or even weekends there. Note you have to walk a bridge to get there. No worries its only for people. Warning. If you are tall watch out for spider webs hanging down.

If you want to check out collges or want to look to check out campuses there's VCU and U of R. VCU is right down the street. Lots of food places and other stuff. U of R is out in the West End almost in Henrico so a bit of drive. There's also VUU(Historic African American college)

Of course there's tons of historic stuff (Civil War battle sites) to check out (museums,etc). We have a museum called VA Fine Art Museum. It hosts different exhibits from around the world. If you remember while they were redoing the museum overseas they had Picasso exhibit

Note: VCU campus very quiet during the summer until about the Aug 20-25 (They start back time then. It changes every fall) so parking is pretty easy. Especially on Cary and Main. Oh and weekends those signs for street parking like 2hours until 6pm,etc don't matter. I've left my car overnight on the street many times and everything was good.

Sounds like a good time. Might go down and stay in DC for a day or two (she's never really been there) and then hit Richmond up (or vice versa) for a little training camp action. How far is the ride from Richmond to DC?

DC to Richmond is approximately 90 miles. Without traffic, that can be about an hour and a half. Rush hour traffic can make it 2+ easily. You just have to be careful when you try and traverse.

Another kid-friendly idea would be Great Wolf Lodget near Williamsburg, which is about 35 miles East from Richmond. Grat for kids. It's an indoor, kid friendly water park. It's also very close to Pierces BBQ Pit, which is the best BBQ anywhere in the area.

I went to college in Williamsburg, and there are a ton of different things to do in Richmond, Williasburg, and VA Beach. Though, the beach is a bit of a hike from Richmond.

Another couple of spots to send your family (if they aren't interested in TC) that are within a few miles of TC are:

The Science Museum of Virginia: http://www.smv.org/ Haven't been here since I was a kid... but I had a blast and they've done a lot with it. Right up Broad Street from the TC site. Might be a good "Hey honey, drop me off and go here for a few hours. I'll call you when I'm ready to be picked up."

The other is Maymont Park: http://www.maymont.org/ Took my kids here this past weekend. It's a huge park to run around in that has animals (baby goats, chickens, etc) for the kids to pet and feed. It's on par with the Reston Zoo when it comes to Animals but it's HUGE. Lots of space to run around. It's right up Boulevard a few miles.

An ideal day... drop me off in the a.m., take the kids to Maymont, grab something to eat, head over to the Science Museum and then come scoop me up at 4 or 5 p.m. and we'll head home. I know for sure that Maymont is free, I'm not sure about the science museum, though.

Just a couple of ideas for the husbands and wives out there who don't have spouses who share their extreme passion :)

Guest Spearfeather

Lots of good suggestions here, so far.

Richmonds' AA ( SF Giants ) baseball team has home games scheduled for July 30th and 31st, and August 1, 2, 3, and 4th.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShYYC3rdpLWAvZ57skKSsUKBP2WeMKq9nJGW-Bb9w7YAWpXdw4

The Diamond is a short drive from the Redskins training camp facility, and also on the same street ( The Boulevard ) as " Buzz and Neds"' barbecue.

Busch Gardens in Williamsburg ( 1 hour )

http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg?__utma=1.122434903.1367881828.1367881828.1367881828.1&__utmb=1.4.10.1367881828&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1367881828.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=busch%20gardens%20williamsburg&__utmv=-&__utmk=132542734

and Kings Dominion in Doswell ( 20 min )

http://www.kingsdominion.com/tickets/

There are numerous quality restaurants in Richmond

The better BBQ spots have already been mentioned.

For Mexican, a couple of my favorites are Plaza Aztecca ( Broad St. near Glenside )

50dea0f87a435.preview-300.jpg

and a little out of the way spot called Mi Geurrero at the corner of Nine Mile Rd and Laburnum Ave. A combination corner market and restaurant with only about five or six booths, but this is like Mexican " home cookin' " at it's best.

Shopping? Just drive west down Broad St. Strip malls galore.

The James River in general, has good fishing for Striped, Smallmouth and Largemouth bass, as well as a healthy Catfish population.

5145189341_afe285f7e2.jpg

The Science Museum is a short drive from training camp

science-museum.jpg

Sad to see it move to Richmond since the drive is much further than Ashburn from Northern NJ but seems like there will be more to do around this area - Gonna have to pass on this year but hope to make it to Richmond one year soon!!!

Holy smokes! I'll give it up to you guys you have listed some excellent suggestions for the out of towners visiting Richmond. I think this weekend I'll make a stroll over to Richmond for Mothers Day and take my wife (born and raised in Texas) to the Alamo BBQ place. I'll post a Texans view of it when I return. I will also check out Maymont if the weather holds up. Looking foward to it, I may even come back and post lots of pic!. Thanks for the advice all!

Holy smokes! I'll give it up to you guys you have listed some excellent suggestions for the out of towners visiting Richmond. I think this weekend I'll make a stroll over to Richmond for Mothers Day and take my wife (born and raised in Texas) to the Alamo BBQ place. I'll post a Texans view of it when I return. I will also check out Maymont if the weather holds up. Looking foward to it, I may even come back and post lots of pic!. Thanks for the advice all!

If the weather doesn't hold up, take her to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, it's free, and really nice. They also have the Tom Wesselmann exhibit, and a very nice restaurant.

There's plenty more to do here, I'll list some others later on that haven't been suggested yet. Busy at the moment.

Archived