Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Nope, different group altogether...some of us, anyway.

If we're gonna go for eliminating ALL native imagery, OK.  But to target one name, one team...Mexico can have California back.  (reference Bang's post above, #11219).

There are bigger issues to be addressed, by everyone, every state, and the nation as a whole.

Climate change, anyone?

Sorry, folks. But I've never bought the "I refuse to allow people to address Issue X, if I can think of some other Issue that I think is more important" "logic".

I agree Larry (I think you can prioritize it though). That's like saying you have two financial debts that need paid, a smaller one and a bigger one and refusing to pay the small one until the big one is paid for.

Bang, I think the answer to that may be more a matter of "one man's frivolous, is another man's important".

For the record, I think California is silly for this, but I also believe that is not a valid argument against it.

Good point.

Excellent point, in fact. Bowing out on that note.

thanks for the reality check.

~Bang

Bang, I think the answer to that may be more a matter of "one man's frivolous, is another man's important".

For the record, I think California is silly for this, but I also believe that is not a valid argument against it.

Oh, so do i.  (Think it's silly.) 

I simply don't like that particular method of criticizing it. 

(Me, I would think that "I wonder if they actually surveyed the Native population of California, and asked them whether they thought the name was offensive?" would be a much better argument.) 

One more step towards the inevitable conclusion of this issue.

Because if there is any one state that most accurately represents the feelings of the entire country, it's uber-PC, mega left wing CA. 

Redskins is a private business. Team fans no longer supporting the brand is the only way the name goes. Only way that happens is if it is proven most NAs are offended, but that is not the case, otherwise we'd have seen more recent polling and we wouldn't see people like Harjo moving the goalposts on who does and does not qualify as a "real" NA.

Compared to the last couple years, this issue is barely on the radar anymore. Seems more like the issue is quieting than getting louder.

It's not on the radar but somehow a state outlawed the use of the name and the team lost it's patent office court battle. Those two items represent major milestones of progress for the opposition. It also shows that while the headlines may have moved on, the opposition group has been busy and I've seen nothing to suggest they are going to stop.

It's not on the radar but somehow a state outlawed the use of the name and the team lost it's patent office court battle. Those two items represent major milestones of progress for the opposition. It also shows that while the headlines may have moved on, the opposition group has been busy and I've seen nothing to suggest they are going to stop.

In fairness, Dan Snyder has been putting up one hell of a fight lately. He's engaged the Native American community with gifts and donations they have largely rejected, and he's trotted out notable Native American supporters to defend the name. And I say notable in that it's notable when your top Native supporter isn't even a Native American.

In fairness, Dan Snyder has been putting up one hell of a fight lately. He's engaged the Native American community with gifts and donations they have largely rejected, and he's trotted out notable Native American supporters to defend the name. And I say notable in that it's notable when your top Native supporter isn't even a Native American.

Is it this guy? He's a "Native American"...

Bill-the-Butcher-630x354.jpg

I appreciate the laugh but there is a point in there worth making as well.  Snyder's PR efforts aren't very well managed.  His organization for helping native americans ended up known as "OAF", which sounds like it was pulled straight from the Onion.  As you've said he's had a few incidents with allies being only pretend native americans.  It's a bumbling tone deaf effort that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in organizations ability to win what is sure to be a long escalating PR campaign.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-mascot-schools-20151013-story.html

"We took students to the Senate education committee. We thought it would be a great educational experience," Nunley said. "We had a letter from our local tribe saying they supported us. If they don't have a problem how can we be causing offense?

"The senators were rude. They called us insensitive and racist," said Nunley, who is part Ottawa Indian.

The local Tule River Band of Indians tribal council wrote a letter in support of Tulare Union keeping "Redskins."

Because the school "uses its mascot as a sign of pride and honor," the tribe "supports the school district's use of its mascot in this way," tribal Chairman Neil Peyron wrote.

Obviously too dumb to know better and make their own decisions.

I agree. They should have asked all the Natives in the state.

Wonder why they (and the newspaper) didn't.

Wouldn't it be easier to just poll the tribes themselves? Just contact each tribe and ask if the name is offensive and who they feel should be allowed to use it. Seems simple enough.

Wouldn't it be easier to just poll the tribes themselves? Just contact each tribe and ask if the name is offensive and who they feel should be allowed to use it. Seems simple enough.

Right.  Because political leaders always speak for their entire constituency.  Especially on issues where one side of the issue is a lot more fanatical than the other. 

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/10/12/removing-redskins-from-calaveras-high-school-will-prove-costly-controvers

“All of my family graduated through being a Redskin. I’d love to be a Redskin. I hate knowing we have to change it. It all seems stupid to me,” said freshman player Logan Weatherby.
But how do native tribes within Calaveras County feel about the mascot change?
“I’m indian,” said junior football player Joseph Celli. “My dad is part of a tribe. My tribe specifically is fine with the name. They think it’s honoring that a school would name themselves after them.”
The Calaveras Miwuk Indians agree, writing, “Our county, our citizens both native and non native are very proud of our logo. It was heartbreaking to hear the chief head will be removed.”
But Dahkota Kicking Bear Brown, who CBS13 interviewed last year about the bill, was happy to hear it passed, saying, “I hope it paves the way for all other states to pass similar laws because nobody’s school or team pride should outweigh a person’s cultural identity,creating an opportunity for Native youth to obtain an education free from mockery and hold their head high with pride in their ethnicity.

---------------------------------------------

dont know why dahkota would be mocked or not be able to hold his head high because of the mascot.

And despite both moves neither is making the noise the issue once did. PC wave isn't going to be enough to shake a private business, not as long as fans support the brand. Plus, as grego and others have just posted, more NAs in favor of the name are starting to get coverage too. The NAs would need a majority, or very close to it, to really make noise and force change, but they don't have it, and they know they don't have it which is why they don't poll because the results, coming directly from their efforts no less, would end their cause.

I agree. They should have asked all the Natives in the state.

Wonder why they (and the newspaper) didn't.

The easiest thing to do is to not ask questions you might not like the answers to.

Archived