Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Had to fix that.

Thanks was going to edit it but you beat to it. Working off the phone today so you all know how that goes when you thought you typed something & it doesn't appear lol

Where? There's really no where to have a bigass stadium in DC with room to tailgate. You think traffic is bad trying to get out of FedEx, imagine how bad it'd be in DC. And besides, DC is opposed to the name so F em.

I guess that makes sense. Though wouldn't changing the city hurt the "brand" more than changing the mascot?

Yeah, that'll be tough for me. It'll be hard cheering for the Virginia Redskins. lol

Agreed. I mean they haven't played in DC for 17 years now and they're still Washington.

It never hurt the Cards. But then again, they only have like 3 fans. :)

True, but they went from Phoenix to Arizona. That would be like the Ravens going from Baltimore to Maryland. Not really a difference. But to go from Washington to Virginia or Fairfax or Richmond, would be differerent, at least to me.

True, but they went from Phoenix to Arizona. That would be like the Ravens going from Baltimore to Maryland. Not really a difference. But to go from Washington to Virginia or Fairfax or Richmond, would be differerent, at least to me.

The Cards actually started in Chicago. I've always known them as being from St Louis though then they moved to Phoenix.

But, I bet you'd do it.

Yeah. I'm grandfathered in with this team. Even if a new team were to come to Washington, DC, it'll be pretty hard for me to pull away from this team.

It's different with the Nationals and O's. I never really cared to much for the Orioles so switching to the Nats was easy. But since I have been impacted so much by this franchise, I probably wouldn't abandon ship. 

I point out that high schools on NA reservations or have a high pop of NA use the name Redskins, so how is that offensive?  Then ask them if they can point out a mostly black HS with the N-word as their name, a Hispanic HS with the name like "wet backs" or an Asian HS with the name "slant eyes".  Of course they can't because those are all derogatory terms and the Redskins isn't.  Then you can point out Oklahoma, the state with the highest NA population and influence, and how the word Oklahoma means Red People.

Rick Reilly had a decent article about that.

Also, why can't we be referred to as simply "Washington?"  Do we have to have a nickname?  Nobody has to say the nickname if they don't want to.  Would be awesome.  A big F-U to everyone.

Considering that's what some people opposed to the name already do (refer to the team simply as Washington) I'm not sure it would bother anyone the way you seem to think.

If Virginia wants to stick up for the Skins and really wants the team, I would have no problem dropping Washington from the name. I am all for supporting people that support me. If you have my back then you are damn certain that I have yours!

It would be a little weird saying Virginia Redskins rather than Washington, but I would get used to it. Also, I don't think there would be much monetary concern. Everything stays the same with the exception of Washington. Every time someone sees that logo and colors, they will know it is the Redskins.

I think the nick name and colors sell this team more than Washington does.

Also, can we quite it with changing the colors? Seriously sounds like crap to me. Also, if you do change the colors, it sure as hell shouldn't have blue in it. There are like 10 teams that have blue in their uniforms and honestly, I hate every single one of them, and it starts with the two in our division.

I thought Snyder already had the rights to Warriors?

Don Terry doesn't like the current name of the Washington football team. He hopes it goes away. And if that ever happens, he'll try to get paid.

Terry is a trademark prospector in the Redskins name squabble. He has registered "Washington Warriors" with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. According to Terry's filing, the trademark on the phrase would be used for: "Entertainment in the nature of football games; Entertainment, namely, organizing and presenting football games before live audiences and which may be broadcast via television, radio, global computer networks, satellite and wireless networks." It also lists player and cheerleader uniforms, and "printed event admission tickets."

In other words, he wants to own the name of the local football team.

He doesn't own the team, of course. Dan Snyder does. And Snyder owns the trademarks on the team's name. For now.

But Terry's timing is pretty good. His application for "Washington Warriors," though filed last year, wasn't published by the USPTO "for opposition" until Tuesday. If no petitions are filed during the opposition period, which lasts 30 days unless an opposer requests an extension, the registration will likely be issued to Terry. The day after the opposition period commenced, we now know, the USPTO stripped Snyder of six of his Redskins trademarks, potentially throwing his breadwinner's name out into the public domain, meaning anybody could sell Redskins jerseys and Redskins cheerleader uniforms.

Can read the rest here

Virginia would make more sense since Ashburn is in Loudoun County & Richmond is in...some other county. Even if they build the new stadium in Fairfax, with all the other facilities in various areas of Va, "Fairfax" wouldn't apply.

Where? There's really no where to have a bigass stadium in DC with room to tailgate. You think traffic is bad trying to get out of FedEx, imagine how bad it'd be in DC. And besides, DC is opposed to the name so F em.

The RFK site once the old DC general hospital site is torn down and incorporated into it.

Just like the old RFK days, most people would metro in since the orange line comes right up to the RFK site. 

The only other spot that would have made sense is where the convention center is now

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/n-va-legislators-announce-redskins-pride-caucus/article_345f61c0-fae7-11e3-8ebf-0017a43b2370.html

3 N.Va. legislators announce Redskins Pride Caucus

With the Washington Redskins' name under attack, three Northern Virginia legislators are announcing the formation of the “Redskins Pride Caucus.”

The three lawmakers are Del. David Ramadan, R-Loudoun, site of the team’s headquarters; state Sen. Chap Petersen, D-Fairfax City; and Del. Jackson Miller, R-Manassas.

The lawmakers say the group’s founding principles are:

* Providing a voice for Redskins fans and season tickets holders.

* Supporting the Redskins franchise, a Virginia-based business “that generates hundreds of millions of dollars in taxable revenue for schools, roads, public safety and other important public services in the commonwealth.”

* Opposing what they term “the inappropriate involvement of the United States Congress” in issues surrounding the Redskins franchise and its supporters.

* Supporting commercial freedom in the commonwealth of Virginia and the rights of businesses to their own brands and intellectual property.

as a virginian, i applaud our new bi-partisan caucus.

and welcome a new stadium being built in our great state.

DC and MD can go kick rocks as far as I'm concerned. I'm tired of my 10% amusement tax going to MD anyways.

Do it Snyder. Do it now. Just to spite them.

PS - Isn't the appeals court hearing the trademark case in VA too? ;)

My Mom just got an automated phone poll about the name change. She couldn't remember who sponsored the poll, it might not have been mentioned. One of the questions was would you support boycotting sponsors of the team. She is against the name change and voted that way. We'll see how long it takes for the results to be announced. 

I am with those that will stay Redskins. I am Cherokee and I will not call myself anything else but a Redskins fan.  I also will vote for any leader supporting the Redskins.  if you are against it I refuse to vote for you.   I am all for a stadium in Ashburn since I live so close.  I would not have to get up at 4 AM ;)

I'm in ATL and I've gotten 3 calls this morning. The NSA did not waste our tax dollars.

I'm a bleeding heart, and this is the team I've loved for almost 42 years.

No name change.

I stand with you.

I am with those that will stay Redskins. I am Cherokee and I will not call myself anything else but a Redskins fan.  I also will vote for any leader supporting the Redskins.  if you are against it I refuse to vote for you.   I am all for a stadium in Ashburn since I live so close.  I would not have to get up at 4 AM ;)

add:~ Huly, your pics from the contest were awesome, couldn't have represented our team better!!!!

Virginia Redskins! Put the stadium near Dulles airport. Metro will be there by the time the stadium is done so National and Duller are connected to the stadium. Just widen 28 as part of it so you have access from 66 or from the toll road, both of which extend out to the beltway.

Virginia would make more sense since Ashburn is in Loudoun County & Richmond is in...some other county. Even if they build the new stadium in Fairfax, with all the other facilities in various areas of Va, "Fairfax" wouldn't apply.

Actually, no. Richmond is not located within any county.

Archived