Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I completely agree. Giving up because it appears we may not win the fight? If we actually do what we can to get the truth out & make sure that the real information, the real facts are being fed to the public, especially the facts about Ray Halbritter & his agenda, then we can swing public opinion & turn this into a non-issue. But yeah, if we just give up like voice_of_reason seems to want to because he doesn't want to fight for what's right anymore, then yeah, we are going to lose. But as long as I have breath in my lungs, whether they are forced to change the name or not, I will always be a REDSKIN, forever. With pride!

The fight song stays.

EXACTLY! I will NOT allow the perpetually-offended PC crowd shame me nor anyone else into thinking that ANY of us lifelong Redskins fans EVER were "racists!" I have always had a great deal of respect for the American Indians/Native Americans while still being a fan of a team that I believe pays respect to those of red skin. These vermin have an agenda, just like every one of their PC agendas of the last 30 years. As a 50-something year Skins fan, I've had quite enough of the PC jerks! And I will be the first to tell them where they can stick their whiny little crybaby agenda!

All of you who want to roll over and let the losers win while also calling you a "racist" need to re-think your decision!

Wait, what? You really see that as a possibility? Isn't he still trying to get a stadium back in DC?

WHY in the name of bloody hell would he want to do that?! The ONE thing that is offensive about the name 'Washington Redskins' is the word 'Washington!' That's a name change I WILL support!

Initially, I was not high on the idea of Redhawks as an alternate name for the team, largely because it made me think of Miami of Ohio’s weak-sauce decision to jettison their formerly great logo for one of a red-feathered bird-of-prey.  However, after doing some quick research and realizing that there was a Chief Red Hawk who was at the Battle of Little Big Horn, I now think that it could work, assuming that the existing team uniforms and logos remain unchanged.  (It would be like the Chicago Blackhawks, who are named in honor of Chief Black Hawk of the Midwest's Sauk Indian Tribe.)  Moreover, there’s a current-day Chief Walt "Red Hawk" Brown who is living in Virginia and supports the Redskins keeping their nickname.  It might be politically savvy for the team to approach Brown and his Tribe about the use of the Redhawks nickname and try to form some kind of partnership.

Then again, all of this might only buy the team a limited amount of time, as the name-change crowd tries to figure out a way to discredit the modern-day Chief Red Hawk as a “bad guy” and someone “unworthy of having a team named in his honor.”  (Perhaps he once failed to pay some parking tickets!  Gasp!)  At which point, like Miami of Ohio, we’d be stuck with a red bird logo.  Yay.

On the other hand, the upside of Warriors as an alternate name is that it gives the team all kinds of options from a graphical-design standpoint.  From today’s modern-warfare landscape to the ancient Greco-Roman world (the latter of which would work great with our burgundy-and-gold color scheme), all manner of martial themes could be considered in conjunction with the Warriors nickname -- including the idea of keeping our current uniforms and logos intact.

How great would it be if Snyder called a press conference to address the name change, and leaked that the name would be changing. Then got up and said they would now be called the Virginia Redskins. Just troll all of the media.

UnWise Mike might have an aneurysm. Would be worth it. 

Yes. Finally. Some pols (politicians) with balls on the issue.

Virginia lawmakers form 'Redskins Pride Caucus'

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/virginia-lawmakers-form-redskins-pride-195916094--nfl.html

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Three Virginia state lawmakers are forming a ''Redskins Pride Caucus'' to defend the Washington, D.C.-based football team that's come under pressure to change its name.

Last month, 50 U.S. senators sent a letter to the NFL urging it to change the name. And the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office ruled last week that the Redskins name is disparaging to

Native Americans and that the team should be stripped of federal trademark protection. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has refused to change the name.

Fairfax Democratic Sen. Chap Petersen, Manassas Republican Delegate Jackson Miller and Loudon Republican Delegate David Ramadan scheduled a news conference Monday at the Capitol to announce the caucus' formation.

In a news release, the lawmakers say their group would support ''commercial freedom'' in Virginia and oppose what they call Congress' ''inappropriate involvement'' in issues related to the Redskins.

I also have really been hoping to see some major NA rallying led by, and supported by, those of that demographic who support keeping the name. Or maybe they''ll start attaching to this effort in a strong voice. The way these things play out in society, that could carry much weight in the matter.

My "douchey" response to you presenting your anecdotal views as something anyone should care about as to whether or not the team should have to change it's name. if I was "douchey" then it was probably because I was still rather annoyed at a teacher happily flaunting his efforts to indocrintate school children into his world view. It was not to suggest there's on "possible view" in terms of the teams name. Rather, it was suggesting your anecdotal information isn't special and that your anecdotal experiences in no way, shape, or form deserve to have any impact on anyone elses views...especially ones based on actual facts rather than emotions related to isolated incidents. It was suggesting that fine...you have your experiences and that guides YOUR feeling. That's all well and good. But other people have different experiences, and yours are of no more value to:

1. That person

2. The team

Than any of yours.

You want to keep presenting that your just giving your personal view. But you're not. You're taking it a step farther and saying they should change the name. That's going past a "personal view" on whether or not it's offensive or whether or not you like the name and moving into indicating what SOMEONE ELSE should do.

Your anecdotal experiences are not justification for someone else to have to act in any given way.

It's ABSOLUTELY okay to have differing views on whether or not the name is offensive or if you like the name or not. I absolutely recognize there are some people who I think have very legitimate reasons to dislike the name, even if I disagree with them. I think your anecdotal experience is absolutely a legitimate reason for you to dislike the name, even if I think it's short sited to dislike it singularly on those reasons. However when you take it a step farther and start suggesting other people should act in a specific way because of YOUR personal experiences, that's where it takes it a step to far.

I've said all along that I don't personally care if the name changes or not. The reason I've spoke up is because so many within this thread cannot accept that the word is used as a slur. They blow it off, impossible, no way anyone could use the word as a slur. My experience isn't something that was a 1 time thing. That's just how NA's were treated and viewed where I was. Does that mean I'm out protesting saying "change the name"? No, I'm not. I'm not losing sleep over it. I just find the attitudes within this thread disrespectful. Change the name, keep the name, I don't care, but the word is in fact used as a slur.

The reason I've spoke up is because so many within this thread cannot accept that the word is used as a slur. They blow it off, impossible, no way anyone could use the word as a slur. My experience isn't something that was a 1 time thing. That's just how NA's were treated and viewed where I was. Does that mean I'm out protesting saying "change the name"? No, I'm not. I'm not losing sleep over it. I just find the attitudes within this thread disrespectful. Change the name, keep the name, I don't care, but the word is in fact used as a slur.

In the same way that the word "Mexican" is used as a slur by people who don't like Mexicans.

He is of Mexican ancestry = not a slur.

He is a dirty Mexican = slur.

What do y'all say to people who say "redskins" is just as bad as the "n" word?

bye6_zps4f94ec08.gif

Gee, sorry spear. I just don't get to follow every page in all these threads in all the forums like i should in my spare time.  ;)

I will endeavor to persevere. 

****ing amazing is what that is. 

I've said all along that I don't personally care if the name changes or not. The reason I've spoke up is because so many within this thread cannot accept that the word is used as a slur. They blow it off, impossible, no way anyone could use the word as a slur. My experience isn't something that was a 1 time thing. That's just how NA's were treated and viewed where I was. Does that mean I'm out protesting saying "change the name"? No, I'm not. I'm not losing sleep over it. I just find the attitudes within this thread disrespectful. Change the name, keep the name, I don't care, but the word is in fact used as a slur.

What attitudes, what rampant disrespect within this thread have NA'S

suffered? YOUR experience is the exception. The word does not have wide spread use as a slur. SO Many? Really? I don't see it. People blow it off, sorry again don't see that happening. Who was disrespectful and where, quote them for me please. I want to see where a Redskins fans on this board has been disrespectful to NA's. Where they said the name was never mis-used. Please I love to be wrong, it teaches me humility. 

You can play the Devils advocate, but that means you are siding with the devil. 

Agreed. I mean they haven't played in DC for 17 years now and they're still Washington.

True, but they went from Phoenix to Arizona. That would be like the Ravens going from Baltimore to Maryland. Not really a difference. But to go from Washington to Virginia or Fairfax or Richmond, would be differerent, at least to me.

If they move to Richmond I'm done with this team. The name means nothing to me compared to this area. I'd want another nfl franchise to move into the DMV because Richmond is not my town. Richmond would be no different than LA.

My last response to Wise, apparently he cut me off, but I got some retweets for this....

15h
@MikeWiseguy @RedskinsRT @Scriva85 @LadyofRedskins @gutlead74 Selective hearing, for a journalist that is paramount to professional treason

He's a hypocrite. Calls Snyder a coward for not talking with the offended NAs but cuts off fans who disagree with him and call him out on it. He's the wosrt kind of person for this issue. Basically has labeled all us fans as racists and is combative. All he does, and I tweeted this, is create a divide and anger on the issue when a dialogue is what REAL journalists create and would be far more beneficial. He is sleaze and I wish more fans would cancel their Post subscriptions and tell them he is the reason.

Ok so I try to represent the Redskins whenever I attend big events. Well tonight at WWE Monday Night Raw. I was sitting ringside and Bad News Barrett decided to weigh in on the Redskins name contraversy. Well the Camera zoomed in on my reaction and now my picture has gone viral. I am officially the Redskins name change guy. Check out these two articles.

http://tinyurl.com/myuko98 Yarbarker article

http://t.co/epT0KXXXy1 Washington post article.

I love my team but its becoming extremely difficult to wear Redskins gear out in public.

Ok so I try to represent the Redskins whenever I attend big events. Well tonight at WWE Monday Night Raw. I was sitting ringside and Bad News Barrett decided to weight in on the Redskins name contraversy. Well the Camera zoomed in on my reaction and now my picture has gone viral. I am officially the Redskins name change guy. Check out these two articles.

I love my team but its becoming extremely difficult to wear Redskins gear out in public.

What's done is done, might as well laugh about it and enjoy it.  

In honor of your internet fame I will engage in the internet tradition of commenting on something occurring in the background:  What's with the overly enthusiastic thumbs down guy in the clip?  If anyone should be embarrassed it's him for being caught grinning and gesturing like a child.  Have some pride man!  Apologies if he's a friend of yours.  :) 

Ok so I try to represent the Redskins whenever I attend big events. Well tonight at WWE Monday Night Raw. I was sitting ringside and Bad News Barrett decided to weigh in on the Redskins name contraversy. Well the Camera zoomed in on my reaction and now my picture has gone viral. I am officially the Redskins name change guy. Check out these two articles.

Positive race relations and representation talk.....from the organisation who brought you Akeem and Makhan Singh.......

Oh the irony.

You did the right thing man.

The guy giving you a thumbs down is douchebag coward.

Shame on WWE for not saying the name. Wonder who they'll endorse for president...

A lot of reactions to this have been calling the WWE out on how ridiculous they looked not saying the name. It's one thing to think it offenisve, but to not even say the word like all of a sudden it's just completely taboo, it makes them look extreme in their stance and that they are overreacting. So let those opposed keep doing stuff like this, the more coverage they give and the more extreme they react, the quicker they'll turn the public against it (which believe it or not most are on our side, just most don't actually care so the only voices you really here are those with an agenda and those who the agenda-driven media give focus to).

I'm glad we have the VA politicians forming the group to support the name. Hopefully with their resources they'll highlight the NAs that are fans of the team and not offended so the people getting conned by the media into believing that all NAs are offended can see that it's not true. That's what pisses me off most about all this. Not nour name changing, not that it's been the local media with anti-team agendas pushing this, but that it's been so misrepresented to where they are basically calling us fans racists and ignoring the opinions of the majority of NAs (as well as the real issues they face).

Galvatron, rock your gear with pride. Anybody gives you crap, tell them most NAs aren't offended and that they're falling for PC driven BS.

Positive race relations and representation talk.....from the organisation who brought you Akeem and Makhan Singh.......

Oh the irony.

Good point. Even today they make gimmicks of various wrestler's ethnicities. They may not be as on the nose with it as they used to be, but they still do it. I get having a heel bring it up to piss of the fans at Verizon Center, but the announcers were pathetic.

Archived