Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Would you rather lose our logo and fight song than accept a new, NA-related name?

Or would you rather have a 10-6 season and make the playoffs?

Is that my only choice?

My preference is to keep the name but if it has to go, just Washington. No nickname. Colors, logo, and fight song all stay.

Edit: The 2nd part is a little bit out there.

Would you rather lose our logo and fight song than accept a new, NA-related name?

Or would you rather have a 10-6 season and make the playoffs?

If things change in terms of the name then the Redskins don't have a 10-6 season with making the playoffs even possible.

I'd accept the name change if there was a majority backing a change by Native American's but there isn't.  People are being told and pushed that they should be offended when they aren't.  Again, off a majority basis as I do understand that some are offended but someone is offended by something day in and out and to me, it only become relevant when the majority it's affecting is behind the push (and in this case, it's not).

Washington Powtomaks, Washington Warriors, Washington Senators, Washington Mohegans, Washington Mohecans.  It all sounds ridiculously dumb.  Washington Redskins sounds ridiculously awesome.  I still cannot believe the people who are on board or "OK" with a name change.

"Is that my only choice?"

No. That's why they call it negotiation.

"My preference is to keep the name but if it has to go, just Washington. No nickname. Colors, logo, and fight song all stay."

Not bad. We're close. I'm arguing to keep the logo and fight song but willing to accept a new name offered by regional NAs or even from one of the Western Tribes who find the term "offensive".

"Edit: The 2nd part is a little bit out there."

Agree. Wacky humor while searching for common ground and perspective.

Not necessarily. The CEO & President of the Powtomak (I think I'm spelling that right) Tribe in NoVa has offered Dan Snyder the opportunity, if the Redskins are forced to change the name, to be adopted by the Powtomak Indians. They could change it to Washington Powtomaks & still keep all of the logos & traditions that has been a huge part of our culture as Redskins fans. Ultimately, the only thing that would change is the name. And, even with that as the name, the fight song would still work. If we are forced to change our name, this is what I would like to see. Because then, the name, the logo, our entire culture would be untouchable, just like the Florida State Seminoles.

Do you have a link to that story? Just curious.

Washington Powtomaks

I can get wit this tbh.

It just doesn't flow tho.lol

anything but Warriors. vomits.

How true. Ironic humor.

In the search for new, more respectful, NA name:

The name submitted must also be catchy and worthy of the 'Skins.

It'll have to be a really, REALLY good name to sway me from Redskins. Like blow me out the water name, and it'll have to have a Native American tradition as well, even that is a longshot. I'm far too attached to Redskins, likewise with many others. Fans and nonfans alike.

It'll have to be a really, REALLY good name to sway me from Redskins. Like blow me out the water name, and it'll have to have a Native American tradition as well, even that is a longshot. I'm far too attached to Redskins, likewise with many others. Fans and nonfans alike.

Na.a.il.l.led it.....you did, Yoda.

What's the chances that this whole debate by Harjo started because they weren't getting the outcome they wanted with financial stability, land, education, etc.?  The big push in 82' for this was said to be delayed for 10-15 years and when they realized they wouldn't receive that, then started to attack from a different angle (the billion dollar sports industries).

Washington Powtomaks

I can get wit this tbh....

Yeah, first, I' m honored and could live with, and eventually learn how to spell "Powtomack" .

Fans should establish some helpful guidelines to Snyder and Native Americans regarding logos, fight songs, and the Great Name Change.

Fans Unite !!!

Do you have a link to that story? Just curious.

I think the tribe being referenced is the Patawomeck, and I haven't seen anything about him " offering " the Tribes' name as a replacement.

The former Chief did say he would be offended if the team did change the name.

lo122405newworld.jpg

What's the chances that this whole debate by Harjo started because they weren't getting the outcome they wanted with financial stability, land, education, etc.?  The big push in 82' for this was said to be delayed for 10-15 years and when they realized they wouldn't receive that, then started to attack from a different angle (the billion dollar sports industries).

If you read her story that is in politico, posted earlier, she claimed that she was harassed at a Skins game in 1974 and that is what caused her to go on her crusade. So, if that is true, the name did not bother her prior to the harassment, but did bother her afterwards.

So, a few bad apples, maybe, caused her to crusade against all sports teams with Native/Indian themes.

Is someone an extremist if they don't feel the name should be changed?

According to most of the folks against the name, yes.

I've been called racist, stupid, a liar and an asshole all because I didn't cave immediately to some guy whose whole argument was "if even ONE Native American is bothered by this, we MUST change the name!!!" No winning with someone like that.

If you read her story that is in politico, posted earlier, she claimed that she was harassed at a Skins game in 1974 and that is what caused her to go on her crusade. So, if that is true, the name did not bother her prior to the harassment, but did bother her afterwards.

So, a few bad apples, maybe, caused her to crusade against all sports teams with Native/Indian themes.

I read that too, but I didn't make a connection until you posted this.  If the name is a known slur since the 1800's why would she even go to a Redskins game in the first place. 

This is just another example of an inconsistency in her argument.

So if we do have to change the name, you'd choose something that would likely have us changing it again down the road?  I just don't understand.

kinda why i would love the 'washington patawamacks' with the blessing of the local tribe. 

pretty good middle finger, imo, at all the critics. keep the logo and all. 

Just a link with some history of native tribes in VA.

http://home.nps.gov/jame/historyculture/virginia-indian-tribes.htm

Wayne Newton is a Patawomeck tribal member. Found it interesting (and likely very coincidental) that there are two feathers placed in a very familiar configuration on their tribal seal at the bottom of this web page from Stafford's Founder's Day activities.

http://www.stafford350.com/index.aspx?nid=140

IF the name change is forced, I like the idea of a "tribal sponsorship", so to speak. I figured we should all at least know how to spell Patawomeck correctly though (no digs at anyone).

Archived