Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

I honestly don't understand how someone could play The Last of Us and NOT like it.  Especially like the very first 15-20 minutes, really before you get into any zombie stuff, you will 100% be sucked in.  You will 100% catch the feels very early on in the game or else you aren't human.

As mentioned by multiple people, the game TRULY is about the people and this is one of the very first games I probably ever played where the character development is so deep.  It was like when games started to become cinematic masterpieces.  Uncharted kind of started that whole thing but this game brought it to another level.  I will say though the game starts out a bit slow, like I remember the first 2-3 hours being kinda boring but then it picks up big time.

The very beginning of the show is the part I am most excited to see about the show.  I really want to see how it starts off and how they do the intro part compared to the game.  I'm really anticipating it.

I won't be watching it however until after the Ravens/Bengals game

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I just finished playing through both games again, timed to coincide with today. For the second game I wanted to pretty much just review the story details but instead of playing on easy, i set it to grounded but used the accessibility settings to have unlimited ammo and crafting supplies. So basically Ellie/Abby as Rambo. It was pretty great. 

that sounds fun too. I’ve seen gameplay vids on grounded with regular ammo settings and people are just John Wicking thru it and I realize I scratched like 15% of the sandbox and I am playing this game so wrong lol

6 hours ago, tomwvr said:

If you liked the movie williow the new Disney series was pretty good  

I’ve had this on my list but wanted to watch the movie again first since it’s been a while and I need a refresh. Glad to hear it’s good 

The most beautiful thing about the tv series is that it's faithful to the game, especially for people like me who did not play the game and are just watching just to see if it's a good show or not. The opening itself was very similar to the game opening where they leave home and drive in the truck. Other than a few differences in graphics, it's almost shot for shot.

Again, I have no interest in zombies, horror, whatever. Just not my thing. And yet I find myself captivated by this show. It is very well done even if I have very poor knowledge of the source material.

One note is to definitely check out the preview and behind the scenes interviews after the episode ends.

• Like 1

Outstanding premiere. The actors embody the characters perfectly. Some scenes are shot for shot remakes like the camera angle in the backseat of the truck. Bella even sounds like Ellie when she’s dropping f bombs. 

I liked the changes made so far, spending the day with Sarah really added to impact of that moment. Some of the additions are nice to see because they happen off screen like Ellie being in firefly custody and the guys that jump Tess is almost a throwaway line but we see it here. That’s exactly the type of stuff I want to see in place of the gameplay segments that will obviously need to come out. I even think they streamlined the Robert/guns/firefly stuff to get around the gameplay and has the added benefit of not making Tess into a sociopath. Tho I don’t think they can sand down the edges of someone like Joel too much, I think doing it at the start to get the audience behind him makes sense 

really enjoyed it. 

44 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The most beautiful thing about the tv series is that it's faithful to the game, especially for people like me who did not play the game

image.gif.12afaadf77a7bfd42e05aad5dcfd67dd.gif

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Outstanding premiere. The actors embody the characters perfectly. Some scenes are shot for shot remakes like the camera angle in the backseat of the truck. Bella even sounds like Ellie when she’s dropping f bombs. 

Agree, it was extremely good. Very thoughtful about where to make changes and where not to. The truck ride scene were they are trying to leave town was verbatim from the game, right down to the road signs (except the burning house was on the opposite side of the road). I am very excited for watching this season play out. 

• Like 1

For those that have played the game:

spoilers potentially for this season

Spoiler

I feel like I’ve mapped it out this way. I haven’t read any show spoilers and won’t but this is how I see it playing out. 

episode 2: Make it to the state house. Introduced to clickers. Tess bitten and sacrifice. 

Episode 3: Bills “town” and leave with truck. Maybe bloater introduced? 

Episode 4: Pittsburgh and raiders. Ellie’s first kill. 

Episode 5: Make it to Tommy in Wyoming, Ellie runs off/Joel wants to leave, Ellie/Joel fight 

Episode 6: Eastern Colorado University /Joel is seriously wounded 

Episode 7: Ellie captured/David scenario/ Joel rescue

Episode 8: Salt Lake City/giraffe, and end with being taken in at the hospital 

Episode 9 Finale: Joel is told about Ellie, all hell breaks loose, kills surgeon, epilogue at Tommys

I think this makes the most sense for pacing and where they can leave each episode. I also think they made need to condense Tommy’s initial meeting and the Wyoming stuff  in with the Colorado college episode so they can spend more time on the David stuff. I don’t want that to seem rushed. That’s sort of the big moment and they need to appropriately flesh out Ellie’s growth taking care of Joel and then getting captured. But then the fight Joel and Ellie have is crucial for their relationship and there isn’t really a better place they can put that because Joel wouldn’t haven’t anywhere else that he wants to leave Ellie and return home. Maybe the winter episodes are longer so they can hit everything they need to

as I said before, I think the only concern I have after episode 1 is that Joel is going to be too likable. Part of that is Pedro Pascal just being awesome and charming but also they can’t sand off Joel’s edges too much or they will find that adapting the second story doesn’t work as well. Joel was always beloved but you have to keep that undertone of “is he really that good of a guy at this point” throughout the season to sort of help allow the empathy and understanding required for part 2. 

there are some key moments and dialogue from the first game that I am looking for to see how much they are setting this up 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Can't get excited for another True Detective.  The first one was awesome, McConaughey and Woody Harrelson had a chemistry that hadn't been matched since.  Tried the other seasons, couldn't get past more than an episode and a half or so.  

I do agree with you about the first season. I'll watch season 4 because Jodie is my favorite actress, in Jodie I trust ;)

Edited by FrFan

I also am in the minority I think that I didn't think The Last of Us premiere was that great.  I thought it was just alright.  

I liked how they are keeping true to a lot of the game scenes and stuff like that.  I loved how they did the stuff in 2003 and that whole thing was really well done and loved everything about it.  Someone was cutting onions in my house at the end of the 2003 part.  I loved the whole sequence when they are in the car.  It's awesome how much they made it resemble the game from there on out.

I did not understand why they jumped to present time though in 2023.  I mean it really doesn't matter but that kind of surprised me that it's supposed to be present times.  I also don't remember what the time jump in the game was.

I don't know but from then on I just didn't get as sucked in as I had hoped.  I also feel that if I hadn't played the game, it would seem like they are just throwing a bunch of stuff at you and it may be tough to understand.  Like the firefly stuff they just kind of throw at you without mentioning much of it.  I'm sure we will get more backstory and everything though.

Again, I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was a 10/10 as the general internet seems to think.  I'd give it like a 8/10.  I also understand that it's going to be slow and it's building up things and setting the ground work.  So I am very excited to see how it goes next.

I also thought this was a really cool tweet showing show/game comparisons.

This MILF Manor show is ridiculous.  Ridiculously terrible.  I can't decide if I'm going to watch the next episode or not.

6 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I also am in the minority I think that I didn't think The Last of Us premiere was that great.  I thought it was just alright.  

I liked how they are keeping true to a lot of the game scenes and stuff like that.  I loved how they did the stuff in 2003 and that whole thing was really well done and loved everything about it.  Someone was cutting onions in my house at the end of the 2003 part.  I loved the whole sequence when they are in the car.  It's awesome how much they made it resemble the game from there on out.

I did not understand why they jumped to present time though in 2023.  I mean it really doesn't matter but that kind of surprised me that it's supposed to be present times.  I also don't remember what the time jump in the game was.

I don't know but from then on I just didn't get as sucked in as I had hoped.  I also feel that if I hadn't played the game, it would seem like they are just throwing a bunch of stuff at you and it may be tough to understand.  Like the firefly stuff they just kind of throw at you without mentioning much of it.  I'm sure we will get more backstory and everything though.

Again, I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was a 10/10 as the general internet seems to think.  I'd give it like a 8/10.  I also understand that it's going to be slow and it's building up things and setting the ground work.  So I am very excited to see how it goes next.

I also thought this was a really cool tweet showing show/game comparisons.

There was some stuff that they throw at you that they don't explain, they're just expecting you to pick up on.  IIRC when they first mentioned the Fireflies I didn't know what it meant but then a few minutes later I figured out they're the rebels fighting against the military-esque (FEDRA?) overlords that have taken control of the city.

Also, they didn't refer to their currency as money or dollars, they called it something else, like cards?  Took a second to realize what that was about, too.  So there are some things they expect you to pick up on just by the dialogue and inferring what they're talking about which I wasn't expecting but I could appreciate.

18 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This MILF Manor show is ridiculous.  Ridiculously terrible.  I can't decide if I'm going to watch the next episode or not.

There was some stuff that they throw at you that they don't explain, they're just expecting you to pick up on.  IIRC when they first mentioned the Fireflies I didn't know what it meant but then a few minutes later I figured out they're the rebels fighting against the military-esque (FEDRA?) overlords that have taken control of the city.

Also, they didn't refer to their currency as money or dollars, they called it something else, like cards?  Took a second to realize what that was about, too.  So there are some things they expect you to pick up on just by the dialogue and inferring what they're talking about which I wasn't expecting but I could appreciate.

I think I am going to watch it again, at least the part from 2023.  I was a bit tipsy from drinking while watching football all day so I want to watch that part with a clear head again.

25 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I think I am going to watch it again, at least the part from 2023.  I was a bit tipsy from drinking while watching football all day so I want to watch that part with a clear head again.

I thought the part from 2003 was easily the best part.  His daughter catching on that something's up but not knowing what, the car chase, etc.  I did have a bit of an issue with that in the 2023 part, they're not going to slow down and explain stuff to you, they're going to just drop you into what's going on and you're going to have to do some work here to piece a few things together...once I realized "Oh, okay, it's like that," I sat up a little more and paid closer attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

did not understand why they jumped to present time though in 2023.  I mean it really doesn't matter but that kind of surprised me that it's supposed to be present times.  I also don't remember what the time jump in the game was.

because this is now a world where the Red Sox still

haven't won a World Series and broken the curse in like 90 years and I think we can all appreciate that.

gonna be honest…it doesn’t seem that bad  

8 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

glad to hear that. Please post your thoughts as the season progresses 

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

For those that have played the game:

spoilers potentially for this season

Reveal hidden contents

I feel like I’ve mapped it out this way. I haven’t read any show spoilers and won’t but this is how I see it playing out. 

episode 2: Make it to the state house. Introduced to clickers. Tess bitten and sacrifice. 

Episode 3: Bills “town” and leave with truck. Maybe bloater introduced? 

Episode 4: Pittsburgh and raiders. Ellie’s first kill. 

Episode 5: Make it to Tommy in Wyoming, Ellie runs off/Joel wants to leave, Ellie/Joel fight 

Episode 6: Eastern Colorado University /Joel is seriously wounded 

Episode 7: Ellie captured/David scenario/ Joel rescue

Episode 8: Salt Lake City/giraffe, and end with being taken in at the hospital 

Episode 9 Finale: Joel is told about Ellie, all hell breaks loose, kills surgeon, epilogue at Tommys

I think this makes the most sense for pacing and where they can leave each episode. I also think they made need to condense Tommy’s initial meeting and the Wyoming stuff  in with the Colorado college episode so they can spend more time on the David stuff. I don’t want that to seem rushed. That’s sort of the big moment and they need to appropriately flesh out Ellie’s growth taking care of Joel and then getting captured. But then the fight Joel and Ellie have is crucial for their relationship and there isn’t really a better place they can put that because Joel wouldn’t haven’t anywhere else that he wants to leave Ellie and return home. Maybe the winter episodes are longer so they can hit everything they need to

as I said before, I think the only concern I have after episode 1 is that Joel is going to be too likable. Part of that is Pedro Pascal just being awesome and charming but also they can’t sand off Joel’s edges too much or they will find that adapting the second story doesn’t work as well. Joel was always beloved but you have to keep that undertone of “is he really that good of a guy at this point” throughout the season to sort of help allow the empathy and understanding required for part 2. 

there are some key moments and dialogue from the first game that I am looking for to see how much they are setting this up 

Someone want to start a separate thread for the show?