Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW | In a Down Economy, Redskins Let the Market Settle

E-Dog Night

To me, this is always a cop out answer. Free agency or not, it still pertains to our front office, our front office moves, how our front office operates, how they build a team.

Shannys first year here was a disaster. His second two years he is/was forced to be frugal.

I agree with your premise of giving them the full five years. I would also like to believe they would be frugal with or without the salary cap penalty.

So far, we have no real basis to form a valid opinion of how they would act.

Well, every FO makes mistakes and none are perfect. Maybe Shanahan thought we had more talent then we really did when he made the McNabb move. Again, in hindsight, I just can't hold that one move over his head, but contunuing to believe that the FO is the same as it was when Vinny was here is vindictive in my opinion. They've turned the WHOLE roster over for the better from 1 to 53 and if you or anyone can't see the culture change in attitude by the players, the front office and even our owner, then nothing will change you from being bitter. I've said this on more than one occassion, probably more than I should have to in here, but when in the hell is our fanbase going to stop living in the past and look to the future? Woulda's, coulda's and shoulda's should remain in the past. Good greif it's so hard to get excited about the team with all the negativiity about the past.

---------- Post added March-13th-2013 at 11:20 AM ----------

I've been paying attention, and am fully aware that we have not YET had to do any major backloads, although we do have some escalating salaries over the next few years (Trents salary doubles in 2 years.) I don't think Vinny is still in charge so drop the insinuations of ignorance. But maybe take a serious look at our needs and our cap situation, if you want to make a sig bet that we will not have to sign some FA with some backloaded contracts THIS year, even if mid-tier guys, I'll be happy to play along. We have needs and no 2013 caproom. There will have to be some backloaded contracts THIS year, and no I don't like it one bit.

Apolgize for coming on too strong. I too am fully aware of our needs, but the FO can only do the best they can with what Mara-Goodell handed down to them. Every team has to backload contracts. You'll never get away from having some "hangover" money in future years. Even the best (Steelers? Ravens? Giants?) have cap problems eventually. You just have to watch how much dead cap money is forwarded.

Every contract escalates from year to year. But most of the time if you do it right, the player never sees the last few years of the contract. After this year, we get our 18 million back, so you can still sign a guy long term or even sign him to a 1 year deal with the "handshake" agreement that in 2014, we can extend him out since we won't have the cap hit anymore. If there is one thing I do not worry about with this FO is managing the cap.

Well, every FO makes mistakes and none are perfect. Maybe Shanahan thought we had more talent then we really did when he made the McNabb move. Again, in hindsight, I just can't hold that one move over his head, but contunuing to believe that the FO is the same as it was when Vinny was here is vindictive in my opinion. They've turned the WHOLE roster over for the better from 1 to 53 and if you or anyone can't see the culture change in attitude by the players, the front office and even our owner, then nothing will change you from being bitter. I've said this on more than one occassion, probably more than I should have to in here, but when in the hell is our fanbase going to stop living in the past and look to the future? Woulda's, coulda's and shoulda's should remain in the past. Good greif it's so hard to get excited about the team with all the negativiity about the past.

---------- Post added March-13th-2013 at 11:20 AM ----------

Apolgize for coming on too strong. I too am fully aware of our needs, but the FO can only do the best they can with what Mara-Goodell handed down to them. Every team has to backload contracts. You'll never get away from having some "hangover" money in future years. Even the best (Steelers? Ravens? Giants?) have cap problems eventually. You just have to watch how much dead cap money is forwarded.

Every contract escalates from year to year. But most of the time if you do it right, the player never sees the last few years of the contract. After this year, we get our 18 million back, so you can still sign a guy long term or even sign him to a 1 year deal with the "handshake" agreement that in 2014, we can extend him out since we won't have the cap hit anymore. If there is one thing I do not worry about with this FO is managing the cap.

Also sorry PJ that I too may have come on too strong. Non football related stress put me in a foul mood. Luckily, I'm over it now. My original post was simply a reiteration that it won't be pie-in-the-sky in the next few years after the initial hit of this years penalty, and the Ravens fire sale this season should be a harbinger of what's to come. Eff you John Mara!!

:cheers:

Also sorry PJ that I too may have come on too strong. Non football related stress put me in a foul mood. Luckily, I'm over it now. My original post was simply a reiteration that it won't be pie-in-the-sky in the next few years after the initial hit of this years penalty, and the Ravens fire sale this season should be a harbinger of what's to come. Eff you John Mara!!

Eh, we're all on pins and needles waiting for "the move." It's fun, but like you said, stressful. Remember the old days when we wouldn't hear squat until after it actually happend? Hell, we had to read the Post the next day just to find out who we drafted after the 1st round and even then, we barely knew anything about them. Now, we as fans, know WAY too much.:pfft:

Good greif it's so hard to get excited about the team with all the negativiity about the past.

Maybe it's how I present it.

I am excited about the team and excited we HAVE to build frugally. I don't think that's negativity.

We will see next year how they handle free agency. By year 3 of RG3 we should be ready to make a run.

:cheers:

Eh, we're all on pins and needles waiting for "the move." It's fun, but like you said, stressful. Remember the old days when we wouldn't hear squat until after it actually happend? Hell, we had to read the Post the next day just to find out who we drafted after the 1st round and even then, we barely knew anything about them. Now, we as fans, know WAY too much.:pfft:

It's kind of amazing how much things have changed in an incredibly short period of time. Everything fans knew about the Redskins came from the Post and local TV.

As far as waiting for "the move"...there might not be one this season. If there is, sure it might be today, but I think a much more likely scenario will be sometime next week, or even longer. After that amount of time, vets who haven't found a new team will get a little panicky and that's when you'll find some bargains.

I too am glad we are not jumping on every player out there because it has bitten us in the arse so many times in the past. So I watch teams like Miami and all the bottom feeders of the past year with extra cap space going after the top players that are out there. The funny thing is that they don't even know if those guys will fit there system or not. So I rather we have a slow process at that and pick the guys that will help, not hurt, this team. Miami and Cleveland are on a spending spree like we use to do and the Eagles did the last two years. See where that got us? See what happened to the Eagles. It got Andy Reid fired. So the OP and the article attached to it is exactly the reason we need to be thrifty and get the right guy at the right price.

Buccaneers did the same thing last year. Went on a spending spree and didn't do squat.

I don't mind us signing free agents every year. You have to sign some to supplement the draft as you cannot count on all the draft picks to work out. However, I don't even mind giving a guy his market value as long as he fits the criteria (under 29 yrs old, skills fit the system, team player and not here for a payday). If a guy is worth 5 million a year, pay him 5 million a year. But don't pay him 8 million a year, like we used to do. Our biggest problem in the past was signing guys over the age of 30 (i.e. Bruce Smith), guys who wanted a last payday (i.e. Dieon Sanders) and guys whose skillset didn't fit what we were wanting to do (Haynesworth).

Your post makes no sense.

The cap hit keeps us from being offseason super bowl champs, I think you would get the point.

Some of he same people who are critical of Vinny yearn for the days of free wheeling and spending.

I am optimistic about our front office, just avoid of praising them until I see how they spend when they can.

All the praise of our FO now is like you taking your credit card from your wife last year and praising her fiscal responsibility to all of your friends. My wife doesn't run up her credit cards. Yeah because she doesn't have one.

Your post makes no sense. I am praising my wife because she is not running up the credit card bill even though she has a credit card. Our FO HAS a credit card and they know how to use every last drop of it but they aren't using it. Again, Bruce is keeping the cap hit low because he wants to match cap hit to payroll hit. Maybe you don't understand the difference?

Maybe it's how I present it.

I am excited about the team and excited we HAVE to build frugally. I don't think that's negativity.

We will see next year how they handle free agency. By year 3 of RG3 we should be ready to make a run.

Building frugally is good.

We, however, aren't building frugally, specifically because we're not building at all.

Our net position this offseason is that we're down a starting CB, TE, and a very solid backup LB. And we didn't have a FS, or a true RT solution, going into this year. Oh, and we need a 3rd down back, because Helu's foot fell off last preseason, and unless we want Morris retiring at age 26 we need someone to spell him.

And we have no 1st round pick either.

And we only have 600K.

I agree with the premise in the OP, that few moves isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially because the market seems to be moving pretty slowly, which means we could get some solid 2nd tier talent very cheap.

But you keep bringing this notion that the cap penalty is good up in cap threads, and it's wrong. Unless you're expecting us to find starters in the 5th round and later, we WILL regress in terms of experience, and likely talent too. And the notion that the front office shouldn't be trusted with money is just wrong. This front office has hit far more often than it has missed, and in three years replaced something like 80% of the team with new FAs and draft picks and got us to the playoffs. To not trust them with money is foolish.

vader-i-find-your-lack-of-faith-disturbing.jpg

To me, this is always a cop out answer. Free agency or not, it still pertains to our front office, our front office moves, how our front office operates, how they build a team.

Shannys first year here was a disaster. His second two years he is/was forced to be frugal.

I agree with your premise of giving them the full five years. I would also like to believe they would be frugal with or without the salary cap penalty.

So far, we have no real basis to form a valid opinion of how they would act.

I keep noticing that you seem to have completely forgotten year 2 with Grossman/Beck (I don't blame you). We are going into year 4 now, not 3. I do agree with the jist of what you are saying though, the cap penalty is forcing us to keep the same group of guys together that just won the east. Never know what could have happened if we had the 18 million, but we do know what IS happening with it and i too like what i see. Obviously i hate the freaking penalty and am trying to look at the bright side of things.

---------- Post added March-13th-2013 at 01:49 PM ----------

I prefer accuracy. In year 1, we made a horrific move to acquire Donovan McRibb. In year 2 we had an 18 million cap penalty which tied our hands. In year 3 we had an 18 million dollar cap penalty which has us tied up yet again.

The front office hasn't show what it's mode of operation is yet. I'll let history play itself out.

Meanwhile, we are forced to build through the draft and get cheaper free agents, and I like it. Shanny doesn't have the opportunity to dip deep into dannys pockets because it's not an option.

This was more the post i was talking about. Year 2 we didnt have a penalty unless you consider John Beck a penalty.

There will be no FA signings point blank. We have no money...no cap space. Once we draft our cap space is done. I see no reason to watch FA. It's upsetting. I would have loved for us to get a OT, Corner or Safety. Not every rookie you can throw out there to play with the big boys.

I'm going to go ahead and put this out there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I want to document it somewhere. I think that these playoff teams from last year that are the most active in Free Agency, particularly going after the big name free agents, are going to suffer this coming year. In my opinion, I feel like that's showing a vote of zero confidence in the players that took them to the playoffs the year before. Its one thing to be like New England and replace Welker who decided to leave via FA. Its something else to be going after every big name out there. For one thing its unlikely that all of these free agents will perform from day 1 of the season. It also changes the team chemistry completely. And like I said, players on these teams who put in work for years to get this team to where they are, are now being passed over for high priced free agents.

Right now Miami is the biggest name in the signings, but they sucked last year. When the dust settles, I think there will be a direct correlation between inactivity in free agency and teams that make the playoffs again next year.

There will be no FA signings point blank. We have no money...no cap space. Once we draft our cap space is done. I see no reason to watch FA. It's upsetting. I would have loved for us to get a OT, Corner or Safety. Not every rookie you can throw out there to play with the big boys.

You know free agency does not end this week right? We have restructures already lined up for when we need the cap space so can make a couple of moves if the right player/value is there - though you are right we need to create space just to sign our picks and have a practice squad and injury reserve..

The season does not start until September and its still March - a heck of a lot is going to happen yet before our roster let alone depth chart is set.

I'm wondering if there's a chance we could get LaRon Landry back. We missed him last year. He's one of our own.

As others have said, he signed with the Colts. He wouldn't be a good fit here even if he had have left on good terms, which he didn't. We need free safety more than strong safety. Laron is a SS and Meriweather already has that poistion with Reed Doughty behind him along with Gomes. The position is clogged. We really need a fast reacting free safety.

---------- Post added March-14th-2013 at 08:48 AM ----------

I'm going to go ahead and put this out there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I want to document it somewhere. I think that these playoff teams from last year that are the most active in Free Agency, particularly going after the big name free agents, are going to suffer this coming year. In my opinion, I feel like that's showing a vote of zero confidence in the players that took them to the playoffs the year before. Its one thing to be like New England and replace Welker who decided to leave via FA. Its something else to be going after every big name out there. For one thing its unlikely that all of these free agents will perform from day 1 of the season. It also changes the team chemistry completely. And like I said, players on these teams who put in work for years to get this team to where they are, are now being passed over for high priced free agents.

Right now Miami is the biggest name in the signings, but they sucked last year. When the dust settles, I think there will be a direct correlation between inactivity in free agency and teams that make the playoffs again next year.

Alot of non playoff teams are making huge moves: Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Miami, Tennessee, Arizona and Philly.

Denver is abnormally busy for a 13-3 team as is SF and Seattle.

I like what our FO is doing with the cards they were dealt. They could backload contracts to sign guys this year, but it looks like they are choosing not to do so which is a good thing IMO. We are not, for once, mortgaging our future for the benefits of today.

Alot of non playoff teams are making huge moves: Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Miami, Tennessee, Arizona and Philly.

I know. I need to look at the moves themselves, but San Fran stood out to me. Teams like Detroit and the non-playoff teams don't mean much to me. They'll be called the offseason winners, but that doesn't matter. SF and Seattle are the two that concern me because I doubt that they get any success / improvement from the moves, and the fact that they're both in the same division makes me wonder if a team like the Rams might be able to compete with them for that division crown next year. I really am of the philosophy that being extremely active in free agency hurts more than it helps. Its one thing to get a position or two, its one thing to look for depth, but when you attempt to replace a number of starters through free agency, it trends to lead to more disappointment. We'll see if SF and Seattle continue to look to sign big names or if they're done after the day one and day two dust has settled.

As others have said, he signed with the Colts. He wouldn't be a good fit here even if he had have left on good terms, which he didn't. We need free safety more than strong safety. Laron is a SS and Meriweather already has that poistion with Reed Doughty behind him along with Gomes. The position is clogged. We really need a fast reacting free safety.

---------- Post added March-14th-2013 at 08:48 AM ----------

...and Tenard Jackson won't have his suspension lifted until August 31 with a year out of football... he'll probably get cut...

Archived