Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daylight Saving Time....WHY????

AsburySkinsFan

Its not a big deal at all. Except today (and maybe tomorrow), when it sucks ass to get up in the morning.

But I can go for a run after work and not worry about getting run over later. I call that a plus.

EDIT- not run over due to darkness. Idiots can clearly still run me over

Of course, the reason we don't change is because in the winter months when kids go to school it is very dark in the morning. And the goal is to prevent kids from getting run over by cars that can't see them.

Change their schedule.....not like they have rights anyway.

Of course, the reason we don't change is because in the winter months when kids go to school it is very dark in the morning. And the goal is to prevent kids from getting run over by cars that can't see them.

That is not the goal of DST.

I think that's a big reason why can't change it now. No? Its a safety issue to parents.

Yeah, it certainly is perceived as a safety issue.

Of course, during that same half of the year, damned near everybody who works past 4:30pm has to commute home in the dark. And the multitudes of kids who participate in after-school activities are in the same boat. I perceive a safety issue there as well.

I don't know what the statistics say about the relative fatality rates between the two, but I suspect that permanent DST would not cause any overall increases in fatalities.

Then there's the emotional "oh, won't somebody think of the children" angle. Bleh.

Yeah, it certainly is perceived as a safety issue.

Of course, during that same half of the year, damned near everybody who works past 4:30pm has to commute home in the dark. And the multitudes of kids who participate in after-school activities are in the same boat. I perceive a safety issue there as well.

I don't know what the statistics say about the relative fatality rates between the two, but I suspect that permanent DST would not cause any overall increases in fatalities.

Then there's the emotional "oh, won't somebody think of the children" angle. Bleh.

I didn't mean to say it was right or wrong. But I think if we tried to get rid of it here in Maryland, for example, it would be very unpopular for soccer moms and dads who don't want their kids walking to the bus stop in pitch black.

Daylight-saving linked to wacky behavior\

Don't be surprised if you're acting a tad wacky Sunday. You'll have plenty of company.

Blame it on daylight-saving time.

Losing that one measly hour when the clock lurches forward from 2 to 3 a.m. every March knocks so many people off their natural rhythms that some have gotten into the shower with their underpants on, put soap in the baby's bottle or tossed their paychecks in the trash, according to a new poll.

Others reported putting their clothes on inside-out or going to the ATM to order chow.

Overall, 61 percent of Americans say they significantly feel the effects of losing that hour of sleep, and 40 percent say it will take them at least a full week to get back to normal, according to the survey of 1,038 adults released this week by the Better Sleep Council.

Digital artist Byron Lobos, 42, feels the pain with disdain.

"I hate the time shift!" he complained as he strolled up Market Street with his friend Chrissy Linn. "It's great when you get that hour back in the fall, but so terrible to lose it.

"It really messes with your body for weeks - you're tired, cranky, just don't feel in sync with anything."

"It's not even necessary," Linn, 35, harrumphed. "I mean, we don't live in a farming society anymore. Why move the hour around like that? It's just dumb."

he dumbness or wisdom of it all fills ordinary folks and scientists alike with raging opinions. They agree on at least one thing - it's great to get that extra hour of daylight tacked into the evening. But it's also a true bummer to have sleep snatched away on that one short day.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates 30 percent of American workers are already sleep-deprived, costing U.S. companies $63.2 billion in lost productivity annually. And those are the ones most rattled by daylight-saving time, said sleep expert Nancy Rothstein.

Click on the link for the full article

Also, daylight savings time leads to global warming. I mean, am I the only one that noticed that the first day we get that extra hour of sunlight was the first day in a long time it stopped being cold in the northeast and was suddenly in the 50s and 60s?

We must end daylight savings time to stop global warming! WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

Daylight-saving linked to wacky behavior\

Don't be surprised if you're acting a tad wacky Sunday. You'll have plenty of company.

Blame it on daylight-saving time.

Losing that one measly hour when the clock lurches forward from 2 to 3 a.m. every March knocks so many people off their natural rhythms that some have gotten into the shower with their underpants on, put soap in the baby's bottle or tossed their paychecks in the trash, according to a new poll.

Others reported putting their clothes on inside-out or going to the ATM to order chow.

Overall, 61 percent of Americans say they significantly feel the effects of losing that hour of sleep, and 40 percent say it will take them at least a full week to get back to normal, according to the survey of 1,038 adults released this week by the Better Sleep Council.

Digital artist Byron Lobos, 42, feels the pain with disdain.

"I hate the time shift!" he complained as he strolled up Market Street with his friend Chrissy Linn. "It's great when you get that hour back in the fall, but so terrible to lose it.

"It really messes with your body for weeks - you're tired, cranky, just don't feel in sync with anything."

"It's not even necessary," Linn, 35, harrumphed. "I mean, we don't live in a farming society anymore. Why move the hour around like that? It's just dumb."

he dumbness or wisdom of it all fills ordinary folks and scientists alike with raging opinions. They agree on at least one thing - it's great to get that extra hour of daylight tacked into the evening. But it's also a true bummer to have sleep snatched away on that one short day.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates 30 percent of American workers are already sleep-deprived, costing U.S. companies $63.2 billion in lost productivity annually. And those are the ones most rattled by daylight-saving time, said sleep expert Nancy Rothstein.

Click on the link for the full article

messes with your body for weeks? bs!!!! it only "messes with your body for weeks" if you dont get enough sleep.

I didn't mean to say it was right or wrong. But I think if we tried to get rid of it here in Maryland, for example, it would be very unpopular for soccer moms and dads who don't want their kids walking to the bus stop in pitch black.

I suspect you're correct.

But soccer sucks, so screw them! :finger:

Archived