Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

London Fletcher leaning towards retirement?

soljaofjesus

I love London, been an admirer of him since his days in Buffalo. But dude will be 38 and at some point we have to move forward. My one regret is that we didn't have more successful years with him as a Redskin. Nor did we win a SB, which he deserved for all of his hard work and leadership. Whether he comes back (which i doubt) or not, i think we need to think hard in filling that position if need be. I hope Riley is ready to step in and be the QB of the defense. Unfortunately i'm not sure i think he's ready for that role. We'll see though..

If London does retire ... I am comfortable rolling with Robinson/Riley at ILB ... but would feel a lot better if we used a 4th or one of our two 5ths on an ILB like Kevin Reddick or Steve Beauharnais ... someone to at least provide depth and competition along with Kehl/Zo ...

Would love to include Jackson in some kind of rotation at ILB to get him on the field more, too.

Sad day in Redskins Nation I'm shocked I thought LF would give it one more year. If LF does call it a career Perry Riley, Robinson are going to have to step it up then maybe bring in a devlopmental player(ie: 6-7 round draft pick) hopefully Michael Mauti will fall down to the 7th round due to his knee injury.

It wouldn't shock me if he retired. London has been at this for 15 years and hasn't missed a game. His body has taken a pounding and the older you get, the longer it takes to recover. He must be really feeling it now. Also, I believe it has been said that Fletch isn't the biggest Haslett fan. So, Haslett coming back probably doesn't help matters either.

It wouldn't shock me if he retired. London has been at this for 15 years and hasn't missed a game. His body has taken a pounding and the older you get, the longer it takes to recover. He must be really feeling it now. Also, I believe it has been said that Fletch isn't the biggest Haslett fan. So, Haslett coming back probably doesn't help matters either.

15 years as an MLB. I can't even imagine. I would love to follow him around the Monday or Tuesday after a game just to see what he goes through.

I'd hate to see Fletcher go, but I'm not extremely worried if he does.

I think this year Robinson / Riley will be a step down from Riley / Fletcher were last year. However, within 2 years I actually see them being a damn stout MLB corp. Kind of a "one step back, two step forwards" type of thing. Riley will come into his own, and Robinson will do a similra growth sport to Riley when he first started significant games. By next year, I think they'll both be hitting a very nice stride.

I don't want to be a pessimist by any means, but I wouldn't be too sure that K. Robinson comes back full speed either... he has the same injury that has kept Orakpo out for so long and keeps reinjuring... Jackson Jeffcoat out of Texas suffered the pec tear and he missed a full college season, only to tear it again the next season and miss another half season... it's a bad injury... P. Riley is a lock for one ILB position, the other I am not so sure about. Getting Brad Jones out of Green Bay would be ideal.

I don't want to be a pessimist by any means, but I wouldn't be too sure that K. Robinson comes back full speed either... he has the same injury that has kept Orakpo out for so long and keeps reinjuring... Jackson Jeffcoat out of Texas suffered the pec tear and he missed a full college season, only to tear it again the next season and miss another half season... it's a bad injury... P. Riley is a lock for one ILB position, the other I am not so sure about. Getting Brad Jones out of Green Bay would be ideal.

I've heard that option. If he's relatively affordable that would be ideal, and wouldn't necessarily put an emphasis on addressing ILB in this draft. We'll have holes next year, but won't need to rely as much on the draft to fill holes with the reinstatement of our cap.

LF sucked it up and made big plays for us during our ending streak, but overal, he very clearly slipped last year. There were games were he looked like a weakness-- and statistically, he did miss more tackles than any other LB in the league. That is what surprised me more than anything... He missed a lot of open field tackles last year that he always used to make. And as noted, he was poor in coverage. Most importantly, he isn't going to get better, only worse.

Could he hang on and be productive for another year? Probably. But he'd likely be best used situationally and I doubt he'd be thrilled about that. Sometimes, its best to just let go.

He was amazing; ecerything you want in a player, but I do think we sometimes overrate the leadership impact. He was the same guy in 2008-2011 and the team sucked. At this point, I don't think we'd miss much without him. He did his job; he should have a bright future ahead of him in whatever he chooses. I am thrilled he was a Redskin. But it's time.

I actually wouldn't mind re-signing Bryan Kehl to give him a shot at Fletcher's spot. Before he was cut in preseason, he was all over the field.

That would be an interesting option as well. i think the only reason why he didn't make the final cut were because of those 2 dropped picks. But he was indeed one of the stars of the PS.

LF sucked it up and made big plays for us during our ending streak, but overal, he very clearly slipped last year. There were games were he looked like a weakness-- and statistically, he did miss more tackles than any other LB in the league. That is what surprised me more than anything... He missed a lot of open field tackles last year that he always used to make. And as noted, he was poor in coverage. Most importantly, he isn't going to get better, only worse.

Could he hang on and be productive for another year? Probably. But he'd likely be best used situationally and I doubt he'd be thrilled about that. Sometimes, its best to just let go.

He was amazing; ecerything you want in a player, but I do think we sometimes overrate the leadership impact. He was the same guy in 2008-2011 and the team sucked. At this point, I don't think we'd miss much without him. He did his job; he should have a bright future ahead of him in whatever he chooses. I am thrilled he was a Redskin. But it's time.

I think he would've been better off missing a game or two. The team might not have been, but for him personally. There was that stretch where we thought the streak might be in jeopardy that he gutted it out. He was probably battling something from the very beginning. I thought I recall he was dealing with some ailment in the preseason, but I could be wrong.

This thread makes me sick to my stomach. I'm really hoping to get one more year out of Fletcher. I love that guy, and I will be sad when he hangs them up. A true football player. A true gentleman. A true Redskin.

Agreed. It has to happen someday. I'd prefer it after we win the SB next season.

hard to have that "guy" (fletcher) who brings so much to the locker room , and keeps the defense together by what he does. Amazingly, Fletcher didn't miss a game on the 7 game winning streak even though he was battling his ankle issues. Some say yea he's old and miss a lot but he brought a lot to this team when he signed with us

I'd hate to see Fletcher go, but I'm not extremely worried if he does.

I think this year Robinson / Riley will be a step down from Riley / Fletcher were last year. However, within 2 years I actually see them being a damn stout MLB corp. Kind of a "one step back, two step forwards" type of thing. Riley will come into his own, and Robinson will do a similra growth sport to Riley when he first started significant games. By next year, I think they'll both be hitting a very nice stride.

Robinson coming back this season from the same injury that Orkapo struggled and failed to come back from. Hopefully it turns out different for Robinson.

That would be an interesting option as well. i think the only reason why he didn't make the final cut were because of those 2 dropped picks. But he was indeed one of the stars of the PS.

I think he got caught up in a numbers game also. I was glad when he was re-signed and came back at the end of the year.

I know Rob Jackson plays outside, but wouldnt this potentially open up some playing time not only for him but for Lorenzo? I love fletcher and would welcome him back in a heart beat, but if he retires, we do have options. Also obviously having Robinson helps, but id rather him heal 100% with that injury and not rush it back. Pec injuries are brutal.

I've read where Maualuga struggles in coverage. Considering his age and cheap pirce tag, he still might be worth a shot as a two down linebacker w/ Keenan coming in on passing downs. He's been stuck in a 4-3 his entire career even though he would have been a much better fit as a 3-4 ILB all along.

I love London and what he brings to the table in terms of heart and leadership. That being said it was clear that he had lost a step and was abysmal in coverage this past year.

I believe that his replacement is already on the roster....and will step in and do just fine.

I know he was out of place sometimes, but he still had 5 interceptions on the year.

I am one who believes the long term benefits are more important than the short term benefits. 2014 has the potential to be a great year if the Redskins are willing to cut some losses this year. Santana Moss 4 million dollars....D. Hall 7 million dollars...London Fletcher 5 Million dollars....that is 16 million

dollars in cap money that can be cleared THIS season...and is enough to resign FRED DAVIS along with resigning a couple of key parts of the team including Lorenzo, D. Young, and Rob Jackson. Let's keep guys who can contribute in 2014 and let those go who will not be around in another year. Rob Jackson is a must because if Orakpo gets injured again SOMEBODY has to fill in and Rob did a great job and has great upside. Lorenzo and Doughty make up one of the better special teams units and D. Young is simply a great fullback and gets results when he handles the ball. It is about time this team makes moves ahead of schedule instead of just reacting to what others are doing. Then when next years cap money comes back...all our young guys will be back along with a couple of Super Duper free agents we can afford and the Redskins will be sitting pretty. Tough to let Fletch and Moss go...but gotta happen by next year anyway.

I have nothing but respect and appreciation for what London Fletcher has brought this team both on and off the field during his tenure here in Washington.

I however, have come to the realization that after all these seasons in the NFL if his heart truly isn't in it to play another year it's probably in every ones best interest to pat ways. The last thing I'd want to see out of Fletcher is a lackluster final season in the NFL. It was apparent to me while at times he was effective (especially in the turnover game) for us in 2012, there was times where he looked slow and overmatched by both tight ends and RBs out of the backfield.

There's a reason we drafted Keenan Robinson. Let's see where things stand with him. With the way the cap situation is coming to fruition the fact of the matter is unless London renogiates some of his contract into a signing bonus, odds of him being with us in 2013 are not that great.

I am one who believes the long term benefits are more important than the short term benefits. 2014 has the potential to be a great year if the Redskins are willing to cut some losses this year. Santana Moss 4 million dollars....D. Hall 7 million dollars...London Fletcher 5 Million dollars....that is 16 million

dollars in cap money that can be cleared THIS season...and is enough to resign FRED DAVIS along with resigning a couple of key parts of the team including Lorenzo, D. Young, and Rob Jackson. Let's keep guys who can contribute in 2014 and let those go who will not be around in another year. Rob Jackson is a must because if Orakpo gets injured again SOMEBODY has to fill in and Rob did a great job and has great upside. Lorenzo and Doughty make up one of the better special teams units and D. Young is simply a great fullback and gets results when he handles the ball. It is about time this team makes moves ahead of schedule instead of just reacting to what others are doing. Then when next years cap money comes back...all our young guys will be back along with a couple of Super Duper free agents we can afford and the Redskins will be sitting pretty. Tough to let Fletch and Moss go...but gotta happen by next year anyway.

Spot on. :logo: HTTR

Archived