Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Fat-shaming may curb obesity, bioethicist says

China

I just ask, not because I have any solid evidence at my fingertips at the moment, because I think a large portion of preventable diseases reside in this insurance demographic.

It affects both public and private costs.

75% of current healthcare costs relate to treatment of chronic conditions associated with excess weight.

Workplace health programs focused on reducing cholesterol have shown payoffs greater than 300%.

But there is a stigma for some in the healthcare profession in directly confronting patients about weight issues. If you believe the patient won't use diet and exercise to address the issue, in the interest of their health the doctor will prescribe a lifetime of pharmaceuticals to mitigate the problem.

I'm sure we've all know co-workers who'll take their cholesterol and other medication before they head to the McDonalds drive through.

and you end up growing antibiotic resistant TB?

which became resistant how?... from the over prescription of antibiotics and idiot patients

ya can't cure stupid,but we can certainly mandate paying for it

add

the anti obesity game is making a killing

75% of current healthcare costs relate to treatment of chronic conditions associated with excess weight.

Workplace health programs focused on reducing cholesterol have shown payoffs greater than 300%.

But there is a stigma for some in the healthcare profession in directly confronting patients about weight issues. If you believe the patient won't use diet and exercise to address the issue, in the interest of their health the doctor will prescribe a lifetime of pharmaceuticals to mitigate the problem.

I'm sure we've all know co-workers who'll take their cholesterol and other medication before they head to the McDonalds drive through.

75% of healthcare costs are associated with excessive weight? Not sure I buy that, even giving diabetes as part of that.

75% of healthcare costs are associated with excessive weight? Not sure I buy that, even giving diabetes as part of that.

it's the new smoking....nearly everything is associated with it.

I'm awaiting the class action suits to crank up and the sin taxes

http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/29/spoonful-of-government-wont-make-obesity-go-down/

Are these newspaper headlines from The Onion? Sadly, these are actual story titles from respected media outlets. The headlines reflect the near-hysteria that currently pervades discussion of America’s collective weight problem and supposed government policy solutions.

It would be easy to simply dismiss such hyperbole as trendy Big Food bashing. But behind the overblown headlines lies a calculated campaign. Its architects want you to believe that businesses are manipulating your diet and imposing harmful choices on you. Since you can’t trust yourself or the people who make your food, government must step in to protect you.

This campaign comes straight from the Activism 101 textbook and is modeled after the successful war on tobacco. The goal is to demonize, regulate and sue food companies.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/29/spoonful-of-government-wont-make-obesity-go-down/#ixzz2IwnkJgSz

[/url]

The class action suits will actually be very interesting.

Did Nabisco know that trans fats were bad? Yes

Did Nabisco try to conceal that information? Of course

Did Nabisco continue to put their customers at risk? Yes.

Did Nabisco excessively sweeten foods to create carb dependence? Yes

I mean, what will Nabiscos defense be? They won't have one judging by the tobacco precedent. And here's the thing... Food companies know this. We're already seeing proactive steps by Coca Cola on the PR front.

And how will Americans feel about Oreos getting fined by the federal government and large surgeon generals warnings on Chips Ahoy? At what point will the entire thing just sound ridiculous? I don't know. But it will be fascinating.

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 09:49 PM ----------

It would be interesting to see the % of avid runners who clog up our healthcare system. I know several avid middle aged runners. All of them have serious knee and joint issues.

And ex football players. Wonder how much we pay for them. And cyclists. Wonder how much the fertility treatments cost insurance companies because their balls are shaped like pancakes.

Just seems like if we had a nation of jogging and cycling enthusiasts, healthcare wouldn't be any cheaper. There is always something. :silly:

But on a serious note I do agree that there needs to be more emphasis on health and less on prescription drugs by the healthcare industry. Lipitor should not be prescribed when the patient is 400 lbs... Or at least it should be part of a larger plan

http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/29/spoonful-of-government-wont-make-obesity-go-down/

Are these newspaper headlines from The Onion? Sadly, these are actual story titles from respected media outlets. The headlines reflect the near-hysteria that currently pervades discussion of America’s collective weight problem and supposed government policy solutions.

It would be easy to simply dismiss such hyperbole as trendy Big Food bashing. But behind the overblown headlines lies a calculated campaign. Its architects want you to believe that businesses are manipulating your diet and imposing harmful choices on you. Since you can’t trust yourself or the people who make your food, government must step in to protect you.

This campaign comes straight from the Activism 101 textbook and is modeled after the successful war on tobacco. The goal is to demonize, regulate and sue food companies.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/29/spoonful-of-government-wont-make-obesity-go-down/#ixzz2IwnkJgSz

So you believe we don't have a obesity epidemic in this country? You think it's all calculated hype?

So you believe we don't have a obesity epidemic in this country? You think it's all calculated hype?

I believe we have too many lazy,lard asses,but yes I think the obesity 'crisis' is ginned up.

We have a stupid problem as well.....they probably have a pill for that as well

It would be interesting to see the % of avid runners who clog up our healthcare system. I know several avid middle aged runners. All of them have serious knee and joint issues.

And ex football players. Wonder how much we pay for them. And cyclists. Wonder how much the fertility treatments cost insurance companies because their balls are shaped like pancakes.

Just seems like if we had a nation of jogging and cycling enthusiasts, healthcare wouldn't be any cheaper. There is always something. :silly:

But on a serious note I do agree that there needs to be more emphasis on health and less on prescription drugs by the healthcare industry. Lipitor should not be prescribed when the patient is 400 lbs... Or at least it should be part of a larger plan

I presume that you're not being serious, even though your comment lacked any humor. :pfft:

Someone whining about sore joints is not within two orders of magnitude of the cost of someone who has a hospital stay because of heart disease or worse.

And the active do not have more injuries. I wouldn't argue that playing football long term is good for your health, but multiplr research studies show that exercise such as running doesn't lead to joint damage - it leads to the opposite, improved joint flexibility and strength compared those who are inactive.

Symbol, I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, so please don't take it as such.

Are you able to walk? Could you take walks totaling 1-2 hours per day? I think as we get older and more rickety, we have to find more creative ways to stay active. Not all of us can keep up the activity level we were used to. I went from playing 3 sports through high school, to jogging 4 miles per day 5-6 times per week, to now jumping rope/doing the elliptical a couple times per week. The reason is a combination of time commitments, my body slowing down as I age, and other priorities.

So, my point is, I understand that you can't jog or run. But if you can walk you can burn some calories. My mom has never jogged or done anything other than go on walks outside. She walks during her lunch hour and again in the evenings. She's in fantastic shape for someone over 60 years old. I think we just need to evolve. I know there are guys out there who do marathons in their 40s...but for every one of those there are probably 10 guys who stay in shape just fitting in some activity when they can.

I do. I walk about 1-2 miles per day, 1 mile outside around town and another on the treadmill when I go to the gym. I lift weights every other day (nothing heavy, can't handle that anymore). Though the weight lifting I haven't been able to do for a couple of weeks because I have a wrist injury. I pay $45 a month at Anytime Fitness because I don't want to blimp out to 300 lbs +, it's bad enough that I'm over 200lbs.

As for being offended, not much offends me, I was just stating that your list wasn't complete, though I do agree that the majority of people that are over weight, especially those that are morbidly obese fall into the 3 choices that you gave. Though there is a small percentage of the population that are fat that do not fall into one of those categories.

I presume that you're not being serious, even though your comment lacked any humor. :pfft:

Someone whining about sore joints is not within two orders of magnitude of the cost of someone who has a hospital stay because of heart disease or worse.

And the active do not have more injuries. I wouldn't argue that playing football long term is good for your health, but multiplr research studies show that exercise such as running doesn't lead to joint damage - it leads to the opposite, improved joint flexibility and strength compared those who are inactive.

Honestly, I just like seeing you get your Irish undies all wadded up :)

I'm the type of person that I don't want to carry around a bag of pills when I'm older. When I was a kid, I was skinny as a rail and could eat anything and actually lose weight. People who first met me as a kid wondered if my parents were actually feeding me and some actually asked them. I ate everything in sight.

Now, while I'm not obese, I have the middle aged spare tire and I'm carrying about 190lbs on a 5-9 frame. I actually carry my weight pretty good and don't "look" fat. I'd like to get down to 175 to 170 if I can. I go to the gym 4 days a week (2 days cardio, 2 lifting weights + cardio) and while my diet isn't the best, I probably only eat fast food once every 2 weeks. My wife is a nutritionist by trade and while we don't have a 100% great diet, she takes strides in making sure we eat better. I love all vegetables and fruits, so that isn't a problem.

But one thing that I seem to inhereted from my family genes are high blood pressure and cholesterol. It's not at the critical part, but my doctor about 10 years ago wanted to start me on medicine. He wanted me to take 2 separate pills. I asked if I could try Caduet, the 2 in 1 pill. I've been on it and it works. I tried the flax seed for a while before the pills, but it just wasn't strong enough. I'm as anti pill as you can get, but sometimes your body needs a little extra help. But at least I'm trying by exercising and eating less fast food. I still like to go get a Wendy's Double Bacon every once in a while, but I know I can't eat that stuff every day.

WOW.

Some of you are pretty heartless.

Maybe some of these "Fatties" might have a medical problem that might be the cause of them being over weight.

I lived 3/4 of my life either thin or a few pounds over weight, until I had an on the job injury that left me partly disabled for the rest of my life.

Because of this injury I can not get around like I use to and exercise to keep my weight down.

I have gained a lot of weight over the last 12 years. I do not eat excessive amounts of food nor a ton of junk food, so don't judge over weight people unless you have walked in their shoes.

Archived