Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Eagles Hire Chip Kelly

terpskins10

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127217/article/oregon-recruit-chip-kelly-was-at-my-house-monday

Oregon recruit: Chip Kelly was at my house Monday

The football universe still is catching up with Chip Kelly's stunning decision to leave Oregon for the Philadelphia Eagles.

That also applies to at least one blue-chip college recruit whom Kelly was actively pursuing as recently as Monday.

"Chip Kelly left?!?! He was at my house 2 days ago," tweeted Nico Falah, a 6-foot-4, 267-pound offensive tackle from Saint John Bosco High School in Bellflower, Calif.

Falah has committed to USC, but he continues to explore his options. If Oregon was spinning around as a possibility, that's likely not the case after Kelly -- thought to be far out of the picture -- agreed to become the next head coach of the Eagles on Wednesday.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

CSN Philly reports new Eagles coach Chip Kelly is targeting Georgia's Todd Grantham to be his defensive coordinator.

It's a bit out of left field, as Kelly and Grantham have no obvious connection, and Grantham has never coordinated at the NFL level. He was an NFL assistant from 1999-2009, however. He most recently served as the Cowboys DL coach from 2008-09. Grantham runs a 3-4 defense, which means the Eagles would likely be switching from their current 4-3. That's believed to be Kelly's preference regardless of whom he hires.

Chip Kelly has zero NFL experience. He's never played or coached for any professional team.

That would be my biggest concern if I was an Eagles fan. I'm also not going to be one of those people who says he's going to be a failure because of it. Spurrier failed because he wasn't willing to put in the work/hours it took to be a NFL head coach. He'll be the first to admit it. I heard him do so a few weeks ago. It could be a tough transition for Kelly. So, it comes down to how much time the Eagles (and their fans) are willing to give him. The NFL is a tough business and you really don't get much time to do anything. Some of the all time great coaches wouldn't have lasted long enough in today's environment to become the legends they are today.

$32M for 5 years. huh.

I think you just uncovered 32 reasons why the on-again/off-again marriage is on-again. He may end up being a decent NFL coach if he's willing to work the long, hard hours of an NFL coach. Regardless, the Eagles are probably going to be a lot worse before they get better. Oh .. and they also have a QB problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it brings a bit of excitement to Philly anyway. Maybe he will fail because his system won't do well in the NFL. Then again, people laughed at Bill Walsh and his west coast offense. Then they laughed at Bill Walsh for taking weak-armed Joe Montana instead of tough and strong-armed Phil Simms in the draft. They didn't laugh for long.

As for never being an NFL coach...Jimmy Johnson says hello.

The NFCE is so much fun.

Yea that sounds like an Eagles fan - Chip Kelly = Bill Walsh.

You guys are hysterical.

I wonder what the players association think about this. He was under contract to make around $15.5m this year and now he signs a one year deal that "could" be worth as much as $10m?

EDIT: This is a prime reason why no one should complain when a player that outperform his contract, ask for more money.

You'd think the Philly players would shut their yaps, yet DeSean Jackson stated that Kelly's new offense is going to drive defenses crazy. Really? He's been in his office less than 2 weeks and nobody has even stepped on the field, so how in the hell....nevermind. Keep talking fartwad.

Right DeSean. Let's see the Eagles even TRY to maintain the kind of offense that Oregon ran.

Current NFL offenses are borrowing concepts from the type of offense Chip Kelly ran.

From the Patriots to 49ers and our very own Burgundy and Gold are successfully using concepts from uptempo, read option and spread concepts.

Yet, for whatever reason people assume that Chip Kelly will fail despite the fact that NFL coaches are borrowing some of their concepts from him.

Yet, for whatever reason people assume that Chip Kelly will fail despite the fact that NFL coaches are borrowing some of their concepts from him.

No, people are assuming that Kelly will fail because so many college coaches have. The number of college coaches with no pro experience that have succeeded is extremely small. That doesn't mean that Kelly will fail but the odds are against him.

No, people are assuming that Kelly will fail because so many college coaches have. The number of college coaches with no pro experience that have succeeded is extremely small. That doesn't mean that Kelly will fail but the odds are against him.
Well we all know what they say about assumptions....Looking at anything from an anecdotal perspective doesn't take into account the individual. All coaches/players/etc aren't created the same. Therefore by pointing out historical or anecdotal 'evidence' about past success or failure is meaningless when talking about the qualities or reasons for an individuals success or failure.

Coaches don't succeed or fail because they're from college or not from college. Coaches fail or succeed because they're have a sound scheme, can relate to their players, put together a good coaching staff, have a good front office, have good players etc.

I prefer not to deal in anecdotes. I prefer to deal in the actual reason for success or failure.

And again current NFL offenses are borrowing concepts from the type of offense Chip Kelly ran.

From the Patriots to 49ers and our very own Burgundy and Gold are successfully using concepts from uptempo, read option and spread concepts. (Bill Bellichick actually sought out Chip Kelly to help bring in the Pats current up tempo offense) The read option concepts that Griffin, Wilson and Kaepernick run are part of Kelly's offense.

Well we all know what they say about assumptions....Looking at anything from an anecdotal perspective doesn't take into account the individual. All coaches/players/etc aren't created the same. Therefore by pointing out historical or anecdotal 'evidence' about past success or failure is meaningless when talking about the qualities or reasons for an individuals success or failure.

Coaches don't succeed or fail because they're from college or not from college. Coaches fail or succeed because they're have a sound scheme, can relate to their players, put together a good coaching staff, have a good front office, have good players etc.

I prefer not to deal in anecdotes. I prefer to deal in the actual reason for success or failure.

And again current NFL offenses are borrowing concepts from the type of offense Chip Kelly ran.

From the Patriots to 49ers and our very own Burgundy and Gold are successfully using concepts from uptempo, read option and spread concepts. (Bill Bellichick actually sought out Chip Kelly to help bring in the Pats current up tempo offense) The read option concepts that Griffin, Wilson and Kaepernick run are part of Kelly's offense.

There are plenty of bad head coaches that have had concepts used by NFL teams. Again, I'm not saying that Kelly will be a failure. I'm just saying that a coach who has spent zero minutes as a pro coach sends up warning flags. A coach who was only a head coach at any level for four years (very, very good ones albeit) sends up warning flags. A coach who has only coached in D1 for five years sends up warning flags. I 100% agree that you have to look at each situation as a unique situation but to completely ignore history is idiocy. You've really got to do serious due dilligence to feel comfortable with that kind of hire. I'm sure a lot smarter men than I did that due dilligence but that's also an assumption.

There are plenty of bad head coaches that have had concepts used by NFL teams.
What does this opinion have to do with Bellichick seeking Kelly out to help them install their no huddle?
Again, I'm not saying that Kelly will be a failure. I'm just saying that a coach who has spent zero minutes as a pro coach sends up warning flags. A coach who was only a head coach at any level for four years (very, very good ones albeit) sends up warning flags. A coach who has only coached in D1 for five years sends up warning flags.
These are merely anecdotal warning flags. Being an NFL coach is hard. Coaches fail all the time. Coaches that have been in the league for years fail, coaches that are great coordinators fail, coaches that have won superbowls fail. But like I said before their success or failure isn't based on where they came from. Coaches fail or succeed because they're have a sound scheme, can relate to their players, put together a good coaching staff, have a good front office, have good players etc.

I 100% agree that you have to look at each situation as a unique situation but to completely ignore history is idiocy. You've really got to do serious due dilligence to feel comfortable with that kind of hire. I'm sure a lot smarter men than I did that due dilligence but that's also an assumption.
I agree that history plays a role, but not anecdotal history about the past successes/failures of college coaches in the NFL. The relevant history is about what type of staff they've put together, what type of scheme they run, whether the scheme fits the players, how good is their FO, how good is their owner etc...that type of history is more important then whether or not the coach comes from college.

There are plenty of bad head coaches that have had concepts used by NFL teams. Again, I'm not saying that Kelly will be a failure. I'm just saying that a coach who has spent zero minutes as a pro coach sends up warning flags. A coach who was only a head coach at any level for four years (very, very good ones albeit) sends up warning flags. A coach who has only coached in D1 for five years sends up warning flags. I 100% agree that you have to look at each situation as a unique situation but to completely ignore history is idiocy. You've really got to do serious due dilligence to feel comfortable with that kind of hire. I'm sure a lot smarter men than I did that due dilligence but that's also an assumption.

Just looked it up and did not realize that only two head coaches in the history of the NFL won SB's after having JUST NCAA coaching experience--Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. Doesn't really mean anything, records/trends are made to be broken, but still thought it was interesting.

What does this opinion have to do with Bellichick seeking Kelly out to help them install their no huddle?

These are merely anecdotal warning flags. Being an NFL coach is hard. Coaches fail all the time. Coaches that have been in the league for years fail, coaches that are great coordinators fail, coaches that have won superbowls fail. But like I said before their success or failure isn't based on where they came from. Coaches fail or succeed because they're have a sound scheme, can relate to their players, put together a good coaching staff, have a good front office, have good players etc.

I agree that history plays a role, but not anecdotal history about the past successes/failures of college coaches in the NFL. The relevant history is about what type of staff they've put together, what type of scheme they run, whether the scheme fits the players, how good is their FO, how good is their owner etc...that type of history is more important then whether or not the coach comes from college.

We get it, you're a Chip Kelly fan. The Eagles do not have the players to run the scheme plain and simple. You won't accept the evidence from previous NCAA coaching failures, even though the history is there for a reason, but because Bellicheck asked for some scheme advice (I'm sure he's the only HC who has ever done that) Kelly is going to set the NFL on fire.....right. No bias here, carry on.

Archived