Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com per PFT: Redskins reportedly very concerned about RG3's knee

RIPSean

Nothing groundbreaking here and no named sources, but not exactly GOOD news...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125303/article/redskins-reportedly-very-concerned-about-rg3s-knee

Redskins reportedly very concerned about RG3's knee

-Dan Hanzus NFL.com around the league writer

Adrian Peterson's amazing season has changed our perceptions on recovery from reconstructive knee surgery, but don't assume Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III will take the same fast track back to greatness.

Citing a league source, ProFootballTalk reported Saturday there is "much greater concern" regarding Griffin's knee than the Redskins have publicly let on.

Any comparison to Peterson should end once the complexity of Griffin's surgery is understood. RG3 had both a torn anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament repaired in his right knee, but doctors also needed to operate on his left knee for a patellar tendon graft.

The biggest concern is the damage to the cartilage in Griffin's right knee, which has now been operated on three times. It's unclear how much cartilage remains in the knee after two ACL surgeries, raising concerns of an eventual bone-on-bone condition that could end Griffin's career prematurely.

Like Peterson, Griffin is a unique specimen, but his road to recovery is an uncertain one at this time. Hard work -- and some good fortune -- will be necessary for Griffin to get back to his former self.

It's basically no news. Look, when we drafted him we knew he was a guy who already tore his ACL, and that he was a QB that did not posses a prototype skill set or body type. This is why in all of the polls I adamantly favored Luck... It seems pretty clear to me that he is the safer bet and is likely to have a longer career. But Luck was not an option for us and I believe RG was worth the risks.

I believe RG will start opening day for us, I really do. I think he is going to attack this as his latest personal challenge and I fully expect by mid spring we will be hearing whispers about how far ahead of schedule he is.

Of course the Redskins are concerned about his knee. Duh.... And they will likely be concerned about it forever.

Not sure why people don't just listed to the world renowned doctor. He said he expects RG to be ready for 2013... That's good enough for me. And docs are normally super pessimistic with timetables because it only sets up to make them look dumb if they are wrong.

Not sure why people don't just listed to the world renowned doctor. He said he expects RG to be ready for 2013... That's good enough for me. And docs are normally super pessimistic with timetables because it only sets up to make them look dumb if they are wrong.

This. You can't talk unless you are a doctor and have actually seen the patient's injury in person. I think anyone would be naturally concerned over any major injury. This isn't news.

Because it is obvious an unamed league source knows more about his knee then the doctor who did the surgery. Facepalm....

This is basically what's bothering me: People can't keep comparing RG3 to AP. The two cases are completely different in terms of injury and recovery. Peterson went about his rehab in his own way and RG3 will go about it his own way. Hopefully, RG3 will be there under center Week 1 next year, but if he's not, it's not going to be because he didn't meet a certain timetable.

I'll point out that the pro football talk article cites a league source, not identified as a Redskins source, and this article, using the PFT article as the source, is saying that Redskins reportedly very concerned. Very misleading.

More importantly, all these speculations are getting out of hand. At this point, anything is possible. RG3 may come back as good as new. RG3 may come back severely hampered. Who knows. I'll pray for RG3 and hope for the best (it wouldn't be the first time that a football player with an ACL injury had meniscus damage). As for all the media speculation about what may happen, media speculates on a lot of things. It's what they do. I don't really care.

We have always known cartilage damage is the wild card risk. But there is no public information out there that describes the state of Robert's cartilage. Given the history of injuries, importantly the meniscus damage, it is likely that there is cartilage damage, but not certain. And there are procedures that can be done to correct cartilage damage. Therefore, this article says nothing new and is speculation.

Signed,

Musculoskeletal Radiologist

Because it is obvious an unamed league source knows more about his knee then the doctor who did the surgery. Facepalm....

Oh it's most def someone just stirring the pot. No one has ever made such a big deal of this ACL. Not even Tom Brady's. There's nothing you can do until about 4 months from now when he's walking regularly with no help. It's all talk about his "future" ACL injury which people assume will happen because he's had too. Point is, he needs to run hard still, but dude needs to slide. And the league needs to penalize someone for that late hit on RG3 which caused him to look like he needs to be in a wheelchair.

Because if they weren't very concerned, we as fans would be concerned about the level of concern the skins have on this situation... really? ;)

No news here...

LOL. Seriously. The guy they just gave up a ton for just had MAJOR knee surgery. If it was me, I'd be somewhere sweating bullets too.

You're right, it has not.

So basically, all the reports of the cartilage damage/repair/whatever are speculation? I'm asking b/c I haven't been able to keep up with what's going on the past few days.

I knew about the ACL/LCL procedures, but I'm only now hearing about the meniscus.

Archived