Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider Article: The Future of Robert Griffin

terpskins10

Once again another good article about our young QB.

"Had a cowpuke fan come up to me after the Thanksgiving game, and tell me that he wouldn't want Robert as his teams qb. Didn't think there was a leader there."

Mr. Cowpuke fan, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. HTTR

I think what is most impressive with RG3 is that for all of his athletic ability, he doesn't depend on it solely to get himself out of jams. I'm impressed that despite a lot of the pressure he gets, he still tries to stick with trying to find a receiver down the field. Give him a good offensive line and some real weapons to throw to, he'll be really impressive.

That being said, I think at times he needs to learn how to throw the ball away when there is nothing there. There is too often that he looks like he's going to get killed back there as he dances around trying to buy time for someone to get open.

Young is probably one of the best comparisons to RG3, definitely not Vick.

Young was accurate, smart, and could use his legs if he wanted to. Sounds just like Rg to me.

I agree Young is the guy RGIII best compares to. He is like Young except faster, rigth handed and with a stronger arm but same accuracy.

That being said, I think at times he needs to learn how to throw the ball away when there is nothing there. There is too often that he looks like he's going to get killed back there as he dances around trying to buy time for someone to get open.

I don't want him neutered though. What he brings in addition to his arm is his allusiveness. Do we really want him to not scramble to get 6 instead of throwing it away to get 0? To me, 2nd and 10 and 2nd and 4 are ridiculously different. In a few years, when he slows down some, he can evolve into a pocket passer, but I think you remove his true differentiator if you try to get him to not extend the play.

And think about this, right now we're only talking about potential. Not potential to be a great QB or make people around him better like most passers, because he already is that - but to be even better than that. If he stays healthy and is coached properly, we could be witnessing the beginning of a decade of dominance in this division.

I don't want him neutered though. What he brings in addition to his arm is his allusiveness. Do we really want him to not scramble to get 6 instead of throwing it away to get 0? To me, 2nd and 10 and 2nd and 4 are ridiculously different. In a few years, when he slows down some, he can evolve into a pocket passer, but I think you remove his true differentiator if you try to get him to not extend the play.

I wasn't suggesting neutering him. What I'm suggesting is for him to gain the knowledge that there is always another down. Like him running the ball, there are times I worry about him getting killed back there holding onto the ball too long and someone taking him out. There were a couple times in the last couple of games where I thought he would have been better served throwing the ball away.

I wasn't suggesting neutering him. What I'm suggesting is for him to gain the knowledge that there is always another down. Like him running the ball, there are times I worry about him getting killed back there holding onto the ball too long and someone taking him out. There were a couple times in the last couple of games where I thought he would have been better served throwing the ball away.

No I understand...but he's usually getting a few yards and getting down/out of bounds. I can't recall a hard shot he's taken over the past couple games. To me, if he could pick up 4 yards I would prefer to see that then have him just throw it away. Obviously if there's no shot at getting down or to the boundary safely, then it's fine...but I haven't seen him contained like that yet this year.

No I understand...but he's usually getting a few yards and getting down/out of bounds. I can't recall a hard shot he's taken over the past couple games. To me, if he could pick up 4 yards I would prefer to see that then have him just throw it away. Obviously if there's no shot at getting down or to the boundary safely, then it's fine...but I haven't seen him contained like that yet this year.

I've seen the Giants and the Cowboys do it. It has happened more often with the better defenses.

I've seen the Giants and the Cowboys do it. It has happened more often with the better defenses.

Do what?

I'm sure teams have sacked Griffin in the pocket, but he can't just throw the ball away to avoid sacks without making the problem worse (intentional grounding). What I mean is, I haven't seen things break down, have Griffin decide he's going to extend the play, and not be able to get up the field for a couple yards/soft slide or to the sideline. As I write this, I'm sure you're correct that it's happened, but I don't think it's happened often enough for it to be a concern.

Will RG3's bust in Canton show his dreadlocks?

Heck why not? It would look pretty damned cool if it did have the hair like he wears it (not of course to get waaaay ahead of ourselves, right?). I wouldn't call it dreadlocks because in truth he just has it braided. I swear every time I read a post by you I think that picture of Kerrigan is what Dan T looks like.

I swear every time I read a post by you I think that picture of Kerrigan is what Dan T looks like.

I think the exact same thing. At this point, that picis Dan T and all I need to know...

RG3 will be the first full body wax statue in Canton after they realize a bust of his face isn't good enough. Hell he may even have his own wing built to accomodate all the accolades that will be heaped on him for the next 15 years, so yes, the braids will be there...

Absolutely. I think it's great to see it all quantified together though, for people who don't bother to actually watch him play and just base their opinion on stereotypes.

I liked the stats he used to back it up. As a Skins fan I wanted to believe this wasn't a short-term deal and really really hoped it would last. Now I feel better :) GO SKINS

---------- Post added December-3rd-2012 at 04:08 PM ----------

Author needs to learn how to divide ;)

Still a great read.

Haha, my brain did a double take and I let it go. Oh well, still pretty close in %.

Archived