Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ChicagoTribune: Report : Honey Badger to enter NFL Draft

HailToTheRedskins14

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-rt-fbn-newssxc1be6a1-20121129,0,2109784.story

Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu plans to declare himself eligible for the next NFL draft, a source close to the player told ESPN.com.

The Heisman Trophy finalist was suspended and fast-rising NFL prospect was suspended for this season after failing an August drug test, and entered a treatment program.

He was arrested last month with three former teammates on a possession of marijuana charge. Mathieu and Jordan Jefferson were later released.

Last I heard, he was gonna sit out a year and then go back to LSU next year. But I think that was before he got arrested AGAIN. I was hoping he got his head on straight. That said, I would be a hypocrit if I tried to point my finger at a dude for smoking weed. It's not a violent crime, so I don't think it makes him a bad person.

But really...the point of this thread is....SHOULD WE? I guess he'll have to enter the NFL on that probation thing where he's already getting drug tested and going to checkups or whatever. But we need secondary help badly, and he'll obviously slide out of the 1st round. I'm thinking he'll be 3rd rounder at the highest. We might luck out on this one.

Of course, I know plenty here will say to stay away, he's not worth the risk, he's a troublemaker, he's a thug, etc. Maybe so, who knows. But dude can play football.

Okay, maybe he's not a first or second round guy, but yall are underrating him to say he's not that good. Sure there was some hype to add to it, but he was a playmaker as a sophomore. Actually, he was a beast. He has return skills like Patrick Peterson. He singlehandedly won multiple games on defense and special teams. He's a special talent.

We will see how he grades out. Hard to stamp someone with a character issue at 19. Trent Williams had alot of tags coming out and stumbled last year also, but has turned it around. The kid didn't get drummed, may have been beat a few times, but is a playmaker. Definately worth a 4th round possibly 3rd round pick on.

Okay, maybe he's not a first or second round guy, but yall are underrating him to say he's not that good. Sure there was some hype to add to it, but he was a playmaker as a sophomore. Actually, he was a beast. He has return skills like Patrick Peterson. He singlehandedly won multiple games on defense and special teams. He's a special talent.

Exactly. The guy is a playmaker plain and simple. But he does come with some baggage. If our staff went in and talked to him and decided that his baggage is a thing of the past and wanted to draft him at some point, I wouldn't be upset at all. I'm just hoping we take the best safety available when we pick in the 2nd.

Pass.

He's got character issues and is undersized for the NFL with teams shifting away to larger corners. His skills in the secondary weren't all that impressive anyway, inconsistent is a good way to describe it. He's good in the return game but I would have no interest in spending a draft pick on a 5' 9" cornerback with character issues and questionable cover skills just because he ran return some punts/kicks.

Exactly. The guy is a playmaker plain and simple. But he does come with some baggage. If our staff went in and talked to him and decided that his baggage is a thing of the past and wanted to draft him at some point, I wouldn't be upset at all. I'm just hoping we take the best safety available when we pick in the 2nd.

But can he cover an NFL wide receiver consistently? I've heard all about him being a playmaker, particularly in forcing fumbles, but I don't hear people describe him as a consistent cover corner and that's the most important part of a defensive backs game. That's not even taking into account the risk of giving a kid unable to stop involving himself with illegal drugs a large paycheck.

But can he cover an NFL wide receiver consistently? I've heard all about him being a playmaker, particularly in forcing fumbles, but I don't hear people describe him as a consistent cover corner and that's the most important part of a defensive backs game. That's not even taking into account the risk of giving a kid unable to stop involving himself with illegal drugs a large paycheck.

I don't see him as a top flight cover corner. Last year, Mo Claiborne usually locked down the teams #1. Honey Badger played a ton of slot, blitzing etc.

"He's a great ball hawk, but he won't even be the best cover corner LSU has this year," says KC Joyner, football analyst for ESPN. "If you put Mathieu on a Big Ten defense, no one is talking about him for Heisman. He wouldn't even be one of the top four corners in the Big 12."

If what Joyner is peddling seems like heresy -- he is, after all, slagging the winner of the 2011 Chuck Bednarik Award for outstanding defensive player of the year -- consider that Joyner studied film of LSU this offseason, focusing on the seven best offensive teams the Tigers faced in 2011. In those games, Joyner found that Mathieu was targeted 25 times and allowed 14 completions for 221 yards, an average of 8.8 yards per attempt. By comparison, Mathieu's teammate, Tharold Simon, was targeted 30 times and surrendered just 12 completions for 108 yards, an average of 3.6 yards per attempt.

Joyner's skepticism is shared by many NFL scouts. Says one: "He's made his name off instincts and amazing return skills. He's excellent at diagnosing plays and at covering stuff thrown in front of him. But the jury's out on him being able to run with and cover high-level receivers. He has a long, leggy body and a short torso, which makes him a wait-and-see prospect. And NFL teams don't spend first-round picks on corners who might not be able to cover."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8240140/lsu-db-tyrann-mathieu-well-known-phenom-limits-media-espn-magazine

He's not a great cover corner. But he's fast, hits hard, forces fumbles and gets interceptions. If his baggage is no longer an issue, he's a great 3rd-4th round pick, especially with our secondary needs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-rt-fbn-newssxc1be6a1-20121129,0,2109784.story

That said, I would be a hypocrit if I tried to point my finger at a dude for smoking weed. It's not a violent crime, so I don't think it makes him a bad person.

See the issue isn't smoking weed and getting high. In and of itself. It's the fact that he has SO MUCH on the line and he can't stop himself. That is scary. That's the definition of a "red flag".

That said, one name: Brandon Banks. **** yeah ill take a 5th round flyer on dude. And if he can actually be a decent DB, even as just a nickle, all bonus then.

Janoris Jenkins seems to be woking out pretty well in STL.

Are their games comparable?

No. Jenkins was a shut down corner at Florida. He shut down Julio Jones, A.J. Green and the rest of the SEC.

Honey Badger was the 3rd best corner on his team!

Patrick Peterson > Mo Claiborne > Tharold Simon > ...... Honey Badger way over here lol.

He's going to be a luxury pick to a team in the 3rd/4th round. Throw him on a team like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Fran, he will be a stud. Throw him somewhere like Jacksonville, Kansas City, Philly, he will stink it up.

Archived