Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A sports junkies caller blew my mind this morning about a loophole in the you cant throw a challenge flag on an automatic reviewable play

thecardiacrll

What if Shanahan had a legitimate reason for not wanting the TD......say because there was too much time left on the clock for the other team to possibly score.

He feels confident we can run more time off the clock and still score a TD?

Ha ha ha! Bizzaro Land!

Sorry I was late to the party. I thought the rule was dumb but never really thought of the possible way you could cheat the system. If it's a dumb topic i apologize I just thought it was interesting. When the play happened in Detroit and the ref said because he threw his flag the play is now non-reviewable I thought it was the most ridiculous rule i ever heard of. It does make sense that in my example Shanahan shouldn't benefit from a BS challenge but it also doesn't make sense to take away a challenge ever especially on a terrible call. Replay is hear to help the refs make correct calls. I wanna see how the rule is written. Again if this was a pointless thread by all means MODS please lock. I barely start new threads mostly i comment on other peoples threads I just thought this was an interesting topic and I didn't find anything about it in the search.

There's no loophole. The play CAN be reviewed, it's just that the review can't benefit the penalized team. So, throwing a challenge flag to prevent the other team from benefiting from a review won't work. They'll get the review plus the 15 yard penalty and you will look like a fool for trying to exploit a loophole that doesn't exist.

The rule is dumb on its own merit. It doesn't need a fictitious loophole to make it garbage. End thread.

Is that how the rule is written though? That it can't benefit the penalized team or does it cancel out the challenge completely? I was under the impression the rule was written saying it cancels out the challenge completely for everyone.

I found the rule and I was wrong. It does only penalize the team throwing the flag. Here is the written rule. Rule 15, Section 9, of the 2012 book of rules. "If there is a foul that delays the next snap,'' the rule says, "the team committing that foul will no longer be able to challenge the previous ruling.'' The throwing of the challenge flag counts as such a delay. And the throwing that challenge flag on either a scoring play or a turnover, both of which are automatically reviewed, results in a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/11/23/justin-forsett-jim-schwartz/index.html#ixzz2Dd8TFUGx

Sorry about the confusion MODS please lock this thread.

:ot:

I guess it's the mods fault, but I can't stand threads that are not in the right forum and that have titles that are not appropriate, or in this case ...long as hell.

I liken it to living in a nice clean neighborhood and than your neighbor parks their 1988 beat up and rusted Chevrolet Celebrity on their front lawn.

I can only last like 2 min on other forums because of this ... it's like driving through the hood.

I guess it's the mods fault, but I can't stand threads that are not in the right forum and that have titles that are not appropriate, or in this case ...long as hell.

I liken it to living in a nice clean neighborhood and than your neighbor parks their 1988 beat up and rusted Chevrolet Celebrity on their front lawn.

I can only last like 2 min on other forums because of this ... it's like driving through the hood.

Dude I apologized and asked the MODS to close it, What else do you want me to do. I don't start many threads because of issues like this. It's a message board i was just trying to get other peoples opinions. I also thought the title was suppose to be specific I didn't know there was a rule on length. Gortiz I been on this board for awhile normally I just read and occasionally comment and I enjoy your posts.But jumping on here and killing me for my thread when I already apologized throughout about my mess ups is wrong. I'm not a huge message board guy just love the SKINS so this is the only board I come too. I also put this in the STADIUM because i wanted to get Redskins fans thoughts on what might be a possible loophole. I even used the redskins as my analogy hoping that would make it more appropriate to be in this part of the message board. Again i apologize.

I like this idea but I'm pretty sure it would not work. The rule is that the team that illegally throws the challenge flag cannot benefit from a review.... The Skins wouldn't be befitting from a review here... They would overturn the touchdown, move us back 15 (or possibly 35) yards and probably eject Santana Moss.

why would they eject santana moss because of our coach illegally throwing a challenge flag? moss wouldnt have told him to do it.

Dude I apologized and asked the MODS to close it, What else do you want me to do. I don't start many threads because of issues like this.

i feel ya. i dont start many threads for the same reason. btw, i listen to sports radio almost all day almost every day (except yesterday) and i hadnt heard this scenario.

eh i think its pretty much a good thread. it gets other peoples opinions on an nfl rule. just my opinion

When you really get down to it, it should only be a 5 yard delay of game penalty.

The NFL seems really concerned about coaches abusing the flag at the end of games so it will probably end up being a 15 yard penalty but it *will* be changed so I'm not too concerned.

---------- Post added November-29th-2012 at 05:42 PM ----------

eh i think its pretty much a good thread. it gets other peoples opinions on an nfl rule. just my opinion

How is it the mods fault? :ols:

The NFL seems really concerned about coaches abusing the flag at the end of games so it will probably end up being a 15 yard penalty but it *will* be changed so I'm not too concerned.

---------- Post added November-29th-2012 at 05:42 PM ----------

How is it the mods fault? :ols:

wait what? no i just meant that i like the thread. i hate the challenge rule.

I guess it's the mods fault, .

I agree that the mods are at fault for having full time jobs, families, lives, working here for free (usually wading through dumbass crap and putting up with developmentally stunted internet denizens who get tweaked out their little cyberworld minds when they get a rule violation), as well as for being unable to telepathically beam general intelligence, or even simple competence in message board participation, into other heads.

:evilg: :pfft: :D:ols:

(just playing with you, goritz, and the OP---you're cool, amigo---and some times we just let some things go to amuse ourselves--we are entitled to some benefits :cool:)

I am just now reading it for the first time and seeing the request (been a little busy). No one reported the matter---which is what you're supposed to do ;).

Posting some request of mods in a multi page thread is kind of unthinking.

I'm leaving it open. :ols:

Some other mod can do whatever they want, of course. :cool:

I agree that the mods are at fault for having full time jobs, families, lives, working here for free (usually wading through dumbass crap and putting up with developmentally stunted internet denizens who get tweaked out their little cyberworld minds when they get a rule violation), as well as for being unable to telepathically beam general intelligence, or even simple competence in message board participation, into other heads.

:evilg: :pfft: :D:ols:

(just playing with you, goritz, and the OP---you're cool, amigo---and some times we just let some things go to amuse ourselves--we are entitled to some benefits :cool:)

I am just now reading it for the first time and seeing the request (been a little busy). No one reported the matter---which is what you're supposed to do ;).

Posting some request of mods in a multi page thread is kind of unthinking.

I'm leaving it open. :ols:

Some other mod can do whatever they want, of course. :cool:

Thanks Jumbo one day I'll get hip with all the rules of the board hahaha. I rarely start a thread but the topic was really interesting to me and I wanted to hear the thoughts of Skins fans. Thanks for understanding.

The NFL already knows this is an issue. What's more likely to happen now is that if something like this happens again, the Refs will simply tell the coaches that they can't throw the flag rather than immediately give them a penalty. If they keep throwing it, perhaps they give them the penalty. Reminding coaches that they can't challenge is something that happens all the time. Coaches throw a flag, and the refs simply tell them the play can't be challenged.

There's no loophole. The play CAN be reviewed, it's just that the review can't benefit the penalized team. So, throwing a challenge flag to prevent the other team from benefiting from a review won't work. They'll get the review plus the 15 yard penalty and you will look like a fool for trying to exploit a loophole that doesn't exist.

The rule is dumb on its own merit. It doesn't need a fictitious loophole to make it garbage. End thread.

This.

Anyone who actually paid attention to the announcers and controversy when it happened would know that the team that throws the challenge flag can't benefit, but if the other team can benefit from review it will still be reviewed.

THERE IS NO LOOPHOLE.

....Still a dumb rule though.

Dude I apologized and asked the MODS to close it, What else do you want me to do.

Didn't mean to pile on card, I'm just anal with that, and I guess a frustrated mod wannbe sometimes. I'm the guy in our HOA that complains about people putting out bags of trash on the sidewalk two days before pick up!

let's :smooch: and make up

Didn't mean to pile on card, I'm just anal with that, and I guess a frustrated mod wannbe sometimes. I'm the guy in our HOA that complains about people putting out bags of trash on the sidewalk two days before pick up!

let's :smooch: and make up

The trash thing I hate that too and my neighbor is the king of that. And he puts furniture out there too. No problem it's all good. Like I said I never really start new threads. Thought i actually did things right. Ive seen alot of titles get killed for not being specific so I tried to make it as specific as I can. I knew it was long but didn't realize that was a rule as well.

---------- Post added November-29th-2012 at 01:29 PM ----------

This.

Anyone who actually paid attention to the announcers and controversy when it happened would know that the team that throws the challenge flag can't benefit, but if the other team can benefit from review it will still be reviewed.

THERE IS NO LOOPHOLE.

....Still a dumb rule though.

Yeah i found the actual rule and how it's written. You are exactly right i posted it on thread #32. The rule does state it only penalizes the team that threw the flag. Thats why I tried to get the thread closed.

Archived