Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A sports junkies caller blew my mind this morning about a loophole in the you cant throw a challenge flag on an automatic reviewable play

thecardiacrll

why would they eject santana moss because of our coach illegally throwing a challenge flag? moss wouldnt have told him to do it.

John Mara would make up a new rule that says spinning the ball in celebration after an incomplete pass is an egregious foul that warrants ejection. He would then radio it down to Hochuli.

Does anyone remember week 2 vs the Rams? (Yes I know we still had replacement refs but hear me out).... Steven Jackson fumbled at the one. We were awarded the ball. Fisher threw the flag (on a play that was going to be reviewed anyway)... Not only did he not get penalized for throwing the challenge flag, they reviewed the play anyway and gave it back to the Rams, and they in turn scored a TD on the next play. Yes, it wasn't a fumble I know... but if the Texans got a win in that manner, we should have also... I don't care how we get there, I just want to be in the playoffs! 3 playoff births in the last 20 years makes one desperate!

I don't think that the rule actually works the way the OP says. I think the penalty cannot prevent the other team from benefiting from the review, not sure but I think that is how it works.

The really interesting thing is why Mara pushed for this rule in the first place . . .

If the play has been called incorrectly, I think it is inherent upon the league to use the replay to GET IT RIGHT.

This is the entire reason why all scoring plays and turnovers are now required to be reviewed, so they can GET IT RIGHT.

This should be the driving force behind the booth replay, to GET IT RIGHT, REGARDLESS.

How the largest and most successful sports league in the frigging country has so much trouble getting this is really REALLY beyond me.

It's disgraceful.

~BAng

To the OP: Why would Shanny throw the red flag if the refs have already called a TD. Is Shanny going to tell the refs no it was not a TD. :ols: or did I misread that?

because under that scenario (moss not really scoring) it would be overturned (thus, no TD) if it were reviewed. so, by throwing a challenge flag, theoretically, he would be preserving the non TD.

of course, now we know that the situation cant happen, as the play is still reviewed regardless. it just couldnt benefit the red flag throwing team.

because under that scenario (moss not really scoring) it would be overturned (thus, no TD) if it were reviewed. so, by throwing a challenge flag, theoretically, he would be preserving the non TD.

of course, now we know that the situation cant happen, as the play is still reviewed regardless. it just couldnt benefit the red flag throwing team.

I understand the rule that is not what i was saying. I guess you missed my point: What is Shanny going to say to the ref why he threw the flag? To contest the TD? or Ooopppsss...Sorry about that ref it just fell out of my pocket.

I understand the rule that is not what i was saying. I guess you missed my point: What is Shanny going to say to the ref why he threw the flag? To contest the TD? or Ooopppsss...Sorry about that ref it just fell out of my pocket.
The original theory was it doesnt matter what shanny asked to challenge because the rule said if a challenge flag is thrown there is a 15 yard penalty and the play cannot be challenged. But we figured out that it only affects the team that threw the flag.

The whole penalty is stupid. It's a reflex in the heat of passion that doesn't involve injuring a player. So the coach throws the challenge flag. What's wrong with the Ref saying: "Uhh, coach, it's not challengeable"?

Because coaches have been using it to delay the game, and giving the officiating crew, an earful. Without penalty. The games take long enough as it is.

I for one am glad the league finally decided to penalize coaches that attempt to challenge a play that cannot be challenged. They play dumb and exploited the lack of penalty, or simply don't know the rules and are dumb.

While I feel it shouldn't cost a TD, it also clearly should not veto an automatic review. Which by definition, is automatic. Ok, supposed to be.

The original theory was it doesnt matter what shanny asked to challenge because the rule said if a challenge flag is thrown there is a 15 yard penalty and the play cannot be challenged. But we figured out that it only affects the team that threw the flag.

Ah, that is what I wanted to know. It only effects the opposing team and not the scoring team. The way it is posted in the OP didn't make any sense to me. Thanks! :)

Ah, that is what I wanted to know. It only effects the opposing team and not the scoring team. The way it is posted in the OP didn't make any sense to me. Thanks! :)
Yeah it only affects and takes away the challenge of the team that throws the flag so if shanny threw the flag the skins wouldnt be allowed to challenge but the opposing team would still be able to have the play challenged.

Because coaches have been using it to delay the game, and giving the officiating crew, an earful. Without penalty. The games take long enough as it is.

I for one am glad the league finally decided to penalize coaches that attempt to challenge a play that cannot be challenged. They play dumb and exploited the lack of penalty, or simply don't know the rules and are dumb.

While I feel it shouldn't cost a TD, it also clearly should not veto an automatic review. Which by definition, is automatic. Ok, supposed to be.

Wouldn't it be quicker for a ref to say "Pick up the flag loser, you can't challenge it", than to go through the mess that happened on Thanksgiving?

---------- Post added November-29th-2012 at 10:15 PM ----------

And I still don't get what's supposed to happen if the coach throws the flag before a TD is scored. How does that make any sense?

Now heres the loophole and I'll use the skins as an example. Santana Moss catches a TD but clearly doesnt get both feet in but the Refs call it a TD. If Shanny throws the red flag he gets a 15 yd penalty but the play wont be reviewable meaning the Moss TD will count. We will be penalized on the kickoff 15 yds. but who cares the TD still counts.

lol, I can see it now. The Redskins use that loophole and then get another cap hit for going against the "spirit" of the rule.

I would be ECSTATIC! if Shanny does this to the Giants.

wake up to the rest of thread, it won't work the OP was wrong, the rule doesn't allow the challenging team to benefit from review but can still review if it would benefit the other team...

---------- Post added November-29th-2012 at 11:44 PM ----------

lol, I can see it now. The Redskins use that loophole and then get another cap hit for going against the "spirit" of the rule.

there is no loophole...

If the play has been called incorrectly, I think it is inherent upon the league to use the replay to GET IT RIGHT.

This is the entire reason why all scoring plays and turnovers are now required to be reviewed, so they can GET IT RIGHT.

This should be the driving force behind the booth replay, to GET IT RIGHT, REGARDLESS.

How the largest and most successful sports league in the frigging country has so much trouble getting this is really REALLY beyond me.

It's disgraceful.

~BAng

Seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?

Yet it bears repeating. Just get the calls right.

If Shanny throws the red flag he gets a 15 yd penalty but the play wont be reviewable meaning the Moss TD will count. We will be penalized on the kickoff 15 yds. but who cares the TD still counts....THOUGHTS

Does the coach simply throwing the flag constitute the penalty? Or does he have to declare what he is challenging? If so, there would be nothing for him challenge in that situation, right?

I just feel terrible for Detroit, man. They got hosed. But then again, we've been getting hosed all year...matter of fact...EVERYONE'S GETTIN' HOSED! lol

You realize that if Shanahan did this, John Mara would make damn sure that Shanahan lost his paycheck indefinitely, the league would rule RG3 ineligible to play and we would lose all draft picks for the next 3 years. Also, they'd probably take away another $5 million from our cap next year so that the only player we could afford to sign would be the Comb...

Santana Moss catches a TD but clearly doesnt get both feet in but the Refs call it a TD. If Shanny throws the red flag he gets a 15 yd penalty but the play wont be reviewable meaning the Moss TD will count. We will be penalized on the kickoff 15 yds. but who cares the TD still counts....THOUGHTS.

I'm confused. Why would Shanahan throw a challenge flag for a TD we score? :whoknows:

wake up to the rest of thread, it won't work the OP was wrong, the rule doesn't allow the challenging team to benefit from review but can still review if it would benefit the other team...

---------- Post added November-29th-2012 at 11:44 PM ----------

there is no loophole...

Perrymason im going to EDIT and update the 1st post I didn't realize how many people would just read the 1st post and comment about it sorry everyone.

How long does it take the Ref to roll his eyes at the coach and tell him to pick it up? Seriously. Want to speed the game up -- don't allow icing the kicker.

Archived