Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII is the 2012 Rookie of The Year! The Official RGIII Rookie of The Year Watch Thread

Boss_Hogg

The ROTY award can be won these next 2 weeks. Luck dominated Jacksonville on national tv. RG3 has a chance to dominate the Boys and Giants (ESPN will hype this game up if we win on Thursday) on national television.

Great point, two very big showcase games coming up for Griffin to make his case.

---------- Post added November-20th-2012 at 02:09 PM ----------

OP updated with wide receiver stats

Thanks for adding that. Crazy what could be if we had somehow paired Wright and Griffin back up.

This definitely is a Homer thought. If you don't think Andrew Luck is currently the clear winner, than something is wrong. With Andrew Luck at QB, the Colts have not only won more games than they have all last season, they are actually in playoff contention. Additionally, his numbers have been fantastic. RG3's numbers are amazing as well, but we are sitting only at 4 wins and we aren't serious playoff contenders right now. Maybe in a few weeks things will shape up differently, but if I had to be unbias, I'd say that Andrew Luck has performed ALMOST at the same level as RG3, but his contributions have produced greater outputs for his team. All that matters.

With several games left, it's hard to imagine anyone other than Griffin getting Rookie of the Year. Homer or not, I'm just saying. HTTR! BEAT DALLAS!

This definitely is a Homer thought. If you don't think Andrew Luck is currently the clear winner, than something is wrong. With Andrew Luck at QB, the Colts have not only won more games than they have all last season, they are actually in playoff contention. Additionally, his numbers have been fantastic. RG3's numbers are amazing as well, but we are sitting only at 4 wins and we aren't serious playoff contenders right now. Maybe in a few weeks things will shape up differently, but if I had to be unbias, I'd say that Andrew Luck has performed ALMOST at the same level as RG3, but his contributions have produced greater outputs for his team. All that matters.

That's ridiculous.

1. Luck has had way more help and he has an All-Pro receiver named Reggie Wayne.

2. RGIII has had his main receivers injured all season, one permanently.

3. The Redskins D is so bad that if we don't put up 35 most weeks, sometimes more, it's an automatic loss.

Right now, combining RGIII's throwing AND running, he's the OROTY.

Additionally, his numbers have been fantastic.

Which numbers of Luck's are "fantastic"? Don't get me wrong, I like Luck and I think he has played very well this year. But his numbers are pretty pedestrian, other than passing yards which is a function of the fact that the guy throws 30-50 times a game. Completion percentage, YPA, TD to INT ratio, QB rating. They're all extremely average.

Luck has thrown ~12 INTs I think... RG3 has more passing yards. I think RG3's biggest compeition is Alfred Morris although Luck's record may make a case for him to get more votes.

Regardless, RG3 plays to win the Super Bowl, not any individual award.

Luck has more pass yards. And yes he does have 12 ints.

Luck has thrown ~12 INTs I think... RG3 has more passing yards. I think RG3's biggest compeition is Alfred Morris although Luck's record may make a case for him to get more votes.

Regardless, RG3 plays to win the Super Bowl, not any individual award.

Disagree. Doug Martin has been balling this year. IMO Doug Martin is the biggest threat, then Andrew Luck.

One of the knocks on Griffin was he was not in a pro scheme in collage, he would struggle to be able to read the defenses, he was no where near as smart as Luck, in the NFL - that he was a running QB who would struggle to use his speed etc etc .

However Griffins football IQ is amazing and showing every week . He is showing he knows when to take the hit when running and when to step out of bounds - he is carving open defenses with a seriously underpowered and unproven WR corp but knows also when to pull the ball down and doesn't make un-calculated throws . He knows the opposition respects his speed and he knows how to use that, as soon as he pulls the ball down 22 eyes are on him and he knows he has the speed to beat most of them, but also while they are watching him, he is looking for the play downfield .....and even when he is doing all this that clock in his head and awareness of who is around him is astounding ....he has all this and is the charismatic leader trying to keep his team up in the darker times and I have to keep pinching myself

I was impressed when I saw him in collage but I am more impressed this year ...

Like this week - he is going to get no love for the Philly game because he only threw the ball 15 times - but it was enough - it was enough to get 4 TDs and 1 in-completion - not interception but an incomplete pass . Only 200 yards in the air - but that was enough to get 28 points - There was the running too - well timed runs scampering for 1st down tip toeing down the sideline he did everything you need to get a 31-6 win.

Then you compare him to Luck - Luck is a highly polished cog in a pretty good machine in Indy - but Griffin is the whole damn show in Washington . Luck on a bad day looks all the world like a rookie - already has multiple multiple turnover games - in those games the Colts have also lost by more than 20 points three times (in each game Luck has thrown 2 or more interceptions) . Griffin has thrown 3 interceptions all season and turned the ball over 5 times (including fumbles) and Luck almost did that on Sunday .

Luck has been very good but, RGIII has been outstanding - Luck is most probably going to win Rookie of the Year - almost by default - becasue he was supposed to be great - because the guy he takes over from was great - the Colts compared to last year are looking great - they are 6-4 and not 4-6 - that helps his case but also I think Luck will get it because he does not play for the Redskins .... that is a huge negative drag when it comes to the nations media and in something like the OROY then the media play a huge role in manipulating opinion .

If the season ended today it would be a tough call between Griffin and Martin. Luck could still get back in the mix though.

I do think Griffin has a slight edge right now, but it remains a three main race.

This is pretty spot on. RG3, IMO, is the best out of some absolutely outstanding ROY candidates; probably the best batch in a long time. And that is some seriously good company to be in.

I'm not dismissing that they have Reggie Wayne, but the one main thing that's changed from that last placed team last year is Andrew Luck. And look a them now. You can have Reggie Wayne as your wide out, but it still takes talent to get the ball to him. Luck has shown that he has that talent. Now, would RG3 do better if he was in Luck's shoes? Possibly. That still doesn't negate anything that Luck is doing.

That's ridiculous.

1. Luck has had way more help and he has an All-Pro receiver named Reggie Wayne.

2. RGIII has had his main receivers injured all season, one permanently.

3. The Redskins D is so bad that if we don't put up 35 most weeks, sometimes more, it's an automatic loss.

Right now, combining RGIII's throwing AND running, he's the OROTY.

---------- Post added November-21st-2012 at 09:49 AM ----------

Which numbers of Luck's are "fantastic"? Don't get me wrong, I like Luck and I think he has played very well this year. But his numbers are pretty pedestrian, other than passing yards which is a function of the fact that the guy throws 30-50 times a game. Completion percentage, YPA, TD to INT ratio, QB rating. They're all extremely average.

The one that matters the most to any football team. The W's. Specifically how many more W's they have now with him onboard. Coupled with the fact that they are making a playoff run...he has to be in serious contention.

Luck has been good this year and his team has a winning record BUT no means is he a RG3 type player. With 8 less picks and 1 more rushing td, RG3 has to have the vote. The only thing in question is the win total. We still working on that !!!!

The strength of schedules aren't even close.

Last year, Cam Newton received 47 of 50 total votes, with Dalton getting the other 3. Here were their numbers.

Cam Newton: 4,051 yards 21 TDs 17 INTs 60.0 comp pct 84.5 rtg, 706 rushing yards 14 rush TDs 2 fumbles lost; Panthers were 6-10

Andy Dalton: 3,398 yards 20 TDs 13 INTs 58.1 comp pct 80.4 rtg; 152 rushing yards 1 rush TD 2 fumbles lost; Bengals were 10-6

Cam had a significant statistical advantage in everything except turnovers and team record. This tells me that the voters tend to value individual statistics more in this award and less on wins, which is more of a function of the team as a whole and not the individual rookie.

This year, it looks more like a 3 headed race, which should make the voting closer by itself. Here's where the three candidates stand through 10 games.

Robert Griffin III: 2,193 passing yards 12 TDs 3 INTs 67.1 comp pct 101.0 rtg; 613 rushing yards 6 TDs 2 fumbles lost; Redskins are 4-6

Andrew Luck: 2,965 passing yards 12 TDs 12 INTs 57.0 comp pct 77.0 rtg; 163 rushing yards 5 TDs 5 fumbles lost; Colts are 6-4

Doug Martin: 1,000 rushing yards 7 rushing TDs 5.1 YPC; 319 rec yards 1 rec TD; 1 fumble lost; Buccaneers are 6-4

Extrapolating each of these to the full 16 games, here's what the numbers would look like:

RGIII: 3509 pass yds 19 TDs 5 INTs; 981 rush yds 10 rush TDs 3 fumbles; Redskins finish 6-10

Luck: 4744 pass yds 19 TDs 19 INTs; 261 rush yds 8 rush TDs 8 fumbles; Colts finish 10-6

Martin: 1600 rush yds 11 TDs; 510 rec yds 2 rec TDs; 2 fumbles; Buccaneers finish 10-6

Not that I think these will be how the final numbers wind up looking, but if this is the case, I think you have to give it to Martin. 2000+ yards from scrimage as a rookie and only 2 fumbles would be pretty significant. However, if RGIII finishes with over 4500 total yards and close to 30 TDs with less than 10 turnovers, he's got a good chance. I also don't see Luck continuing to turn the ball over as much as he has at this point in the season, considering their hard stretch is largely over.

If Robert can come up with some more big wins and highlight reel teams against playoff contenders like the Cowboys, Ravens, and Giants over our final 6 games, he has a chance to impress the voters, who I think value quarterbacks higher than running backs anyway.

I'm not nearly as concerned with Robert's likelihood of winning the award as I am with him winding up on next year's Madden cover.

Archived