Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR 24-7.com: Defensive Dysfunction: How Mike Shanahan Can Fix His Achillies Heel

KCClybun

Along with everything else, I think that reputation is fast slipping the longer this year, and his time here rolls.

Hail.

He's in deep doo doo, no doubt. There's a way he could turn this around. I'll try to write it up and start a thread on it next week.

Agree on Blache and Williams.

The over-aggressive defensive scheme might be put on Shanahan also. He knows that those takeaways produce short-field opportunities for his offense. He was once called the "mastermind" on offense. I think that reputation is very important to him.

Probably, but I think its more important for him to win. If we want to go on ego stuff -- what could be worse for him than being a wins and loss failure with the Redskins, a highly ranked offense IMO doesn't do squat to save his rep unless he wants to go down as a Norv Turner type, he can call a good offense but doesn't get the rest of it right.

He's the architect of a secondary of Josh Wilson, D. Hall, M Williaims, Gomes/Doughtry -- guess now we will see Merriweather. Most of whom would be backups IMO on most teams. You combine that with linebackers who aren't good at covering -- its not that shocking to me that they are horrible against the pass. This isn't in defense of Haslett again, but yeah I put the defenses failures lets say 80% on Shanny, 20% on Haslett.

He's the architect of a secondary of Josh Wilson, D. Hall, M Williaims, Gomes/Doughtry -- guess now we will see Merriweather. Most of whom would be backups IMO on most teams. You combine that with linebackers who aren't good at covering -- its not that shocking to me that they are horrible against the pass. This isn't in defense of Haslett again, but yeah I put the defenses failures lets say 80% on Shanny, 20% on Haslett.

These aren't guys Shanny forced on Haslett; these are all guys Haslett approved of. And not to use the cap hit as a total excuse (there were better safeties available than Madieu), but it seemed like the plan was to get help in the back end as well. I don't think Shanny ignored that part of the team, or at least he didn't plan to. But if there was anyone Haz didn't want, he could speak up about it.

And Haslett's answer to having a struggling secondary, and linebackers who struggle at covering, has been to rush four, and then force a group of guys who struggle to cover into coverage. Usually zone of off man coverage on top of that, and even when we do "press" our corners never put a hand on a guy to disrupt timing or reroute receivers. That's all coaching stuff, and Shanny doesn't call the defense.

The talent isn't great and that does ultimately fall on Shanahan. But this passive defense Haslett has employed is just as bad as everything else. I'd say it was 50-50 at least.

Haz is all but gone. He did call a really good game today, but barring something amazing happening, he still won't be back.

List of potential defensive coordinator candidates as floated by LL on Twitter earlier...

Jon Pagano (San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator)

Vance Joseph (Houston Texans secondary coach)

Darren Perry (Green Bay Packers safeties coach)

Romeo Crennel

Ron Rivera

Guys he said are in the mix but much less so than the above...

Kevin Coyle (Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator)

Ted Monachino (Baltimore Ravens outside linebackers coach)

Mark Duffner (Former UMD head coach, Jacksonville Jaguars linebackers coach)

So do we keep HAZ now?

This fanbase is too reactionary... In both the good AND the bad. :ols:

---------- Post added November-18th-2012 at 05:14 PM ----------

Interestingly enough, I think Haslett called a very good game and although our defense bent... a lot... We didn't break. He hid weaknesses and utilized strengths a bit better today. I've been calling for DeAngelo Hall to be used more like Woodson for weeks now. He was all over the field today.

Haslett is coaching for his next job (>implying he ever deserved one in the first place; Haslett pretty much exemplifies the broken nature of NFL hiring policy). Which is a shame if you think about it, seeing if he had coached like he did today, he'd be able to keep this one.

Anyway, I take it Lou Spanos is not a possibility? And I notice we're not really looking at 2-gap guys.

Almost everyone in the NFL, coaches and players alike, are performing for their next job.

I think Panthers fans are good on getting rid of Rivera. I have no opinion of him, just throwing it out there. I think he might be gone this year and the organization looking to go a different direction. They actually think they have a solid core, too. LOL

Anyway, I take it Lou Spanos is not a possibility? And I notice we're not really looking at 2-gap guys.

I suppose he's a possibility, but one would have to wonder how much he'd want to leave UCLA. Him and Mora have done a pretty damn good job turning that program around, so he might be more inclined to stay. Couldn't blame him, really.

And I guess the one guy who would have 1-gap experience would be Vance Joseph, who's playing the 3-4 under Wade Phillips.

I suppose he's a possibility, but one would have to wonder how much he'd want to leave UCLA. Him and Mora have done a pretty damn good job turning that program around, so he might be more inclined to stay. Couldn't blame him, really.

And I guess the one guy who would have 1-gap experience would be Vance Joseph, who's playing the 3-4 under Wade Phillips.

I'm not a fan of the lack of diversity in that group of names. Mostly 3-4 guys. I'm not opposed to keeping the 3-4 in the least... But I am opposed to backing ourselves into that corner. Interviewing other scheme type coordinators could be beneficial, if for nothing else than to get more outsiders perspectives on our organization and some ideas to help improve the team.

I'm not a fan of the lack of diversity in that group of names. Mostly 3-4 guys. I'm not opposed to keeping the 3-4 in the least... But I am opposed to backing ourselves into that corner. Interviewing other scheme type coordinators could be beneficial, if for nothing else than to get more outsiders perspectives on our organization and some ideas to help improve the team.

LL said the list was pretty fluid and not set in stone. But I agree, I was surprised their weren't more 4-3 guys on the list. But at the very least we're trying to bring in people who have real experience coaching in it, which could be a plus.

LL said the list was pretty fluid and not set in stone. But I agree, I was surprised their weren't more 4-3 guys on the list. But at the very least we're trying to bring in people who have real experience coaching in it, which could be a plus.

I'm glad it's not set in stone, what a relief. I agree with bringing people in who have experience coaching the 3-4. The 3-4 isn't the problem, the guy coaching it(Haslett) is.

Haz is all but gone. He did call a really good game today, but barring something amazing happening, he still won't be back.

List of potential defensive coordinator candidates as floated by LL on Twitter earlier...

Jon Pagano (San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator)

Vance Joseph (Houston Texans secondary coach)

Darren Perry (Green Bay Packers safeties coach)

Romeo Crennel

Ron Rivera

Guys he said are in the mix but much less so than the above...

Kevin Coyle (Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator)

Ted Monachino (Baltimore Ravens outside linebackers coach)

Mark Duffner (Former UMD head coach, Jacksonville Jaguars linebackers coach)

Is Rivera a 3-4 guy?

Archived